1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The midlands

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bigbore, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Jamie, welcome to Gardeners Corner!!:thumbsup::snork: The Gang will only be too happy to help with any questions you have. If you could let us know what direction your garden faces, is it sandy soil, clay, stoney, that would be a great help for us when giving advice???:coffee:

2. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    The garden faces west and the soil is very loamy however the drainage isn't great as it's a new build, so I'm guessing the ground is still settling

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,612
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner Jamie. :) We often here of problems with drainage in new build gardens, this could be due to the fact that many builders bury rubble in the gardens. It would be a good idea to have a dig around just to see what's going on underneath. You say the soil is loamy could that be topsoil that's been put down?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +756
        I would say it has about 1ft of topsoil then like a stoney shail soil underneath, when I dug my patio out as I,m on a slope I went down 4ft in a 16 ft square area and didn't hit any rubble.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
          Ratings:
          +1,984
          We used to live in a new build & the soiled area was exactly as described by others, a builder's dumping ground! We had to try and put decent soil, compost etc down but at the time, as I hadn't discovered this forum, it didn't work so we decked it! I'm sure it'll become a perfect area with advice from here, but you may have to plant certain plants for the soil type

• bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +756
          Looks like I have some work cut out, just want the spring to hurry and come so I can get out and start some jobs

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,622