1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

this flock of birds.....????

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Daisies, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Suddenly had this flock of birds carousing around the area of my house this afternoon. They made a quiet-ish, soft chattering noises just like aviary birds but they're so big!! Almost the size of blackbirds. There were about 40 of them. They settled on various roofs for on and off about 20 minutes and then just as suddenly disappeared. Anyone got any ideas what they were?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    MD They look almost Starling like,but as the light is wrong it is difficult to tell.

They usually flock together at this time of year,parents with youngsters.

I am not sure but it might be safety in numbers to confuse predators who might be looking to pick one off for a quick meal.
    They like to use high points to view their surroundings,and look out for either food or the afore mentioned predators.
    Also there is often heat coming off the roofs,or small insects that they can search out to feed the young with

Kandy
    [​IMG]

3. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Might be Redwings from Russia,though it is a bit early for them,usually they arrive around Late September.

5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    YEAH PALADIN, I can see them wearing cassocks.

looks like starlings to me :D

6. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Other half says they ARE Starlings !!

7. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
  8. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Definately starlings, they used to congregate on the roofs where we used to live, felt quite eerie at times as there could be a hundred at any one time

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Thanks all! Neighbours have agreed they seem to be starlings. But what was eerie was the soft chattering noise they made, almost pleasant and so sociable!!

BTW - the light looks od because it was evening but I rejigged the brightness and contrast to show the image better.

Another point all you bird people - how to birds know when they're all going take off? They sit there and sit there and suddenly, without even a 'ready, steady, go' to be seen, they all take to the wing as s single unit. It's amazing!

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    MD.I think the question of them all taking off together has been baffling bird organisations like the RSPB for years.We have been members for years and the quarterly Bird magazine we recieve often have articles about such things.

It seems like one of the birds is a leader,and when that bird takes off a split second later all the others follow suit,though to us it looks like they all take off in unison.

When there are large flocks of birds flying,there is always one at the front,who determins which direction they are going to fly in and when they are going to land or roost.

Kandy

11. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    MD whilst I am not all that enamoured with starlings their ariel ballet in the evening before they settle to roost is absolutely magic. Many years ago, when I was working in London - I used to catch the train home from Charing Cross - and the station and bridge was one of their roosts. Excellent destressor watching them swirl against the sunset.

As I recall it is for protection against predators - much the same as fish.

12. eleagnus7

eleagnus7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the flock of birds - Iwas engaged in 'helping' to erect a large shed during the summer in a garden in this area and also observed this behaviour on the part of a large number of birds.They were a 'nursery' of young starlings which appeared to be getting practise at flying together with a new leader. I read this up during those weeks in an encyclopaedia as it was so engaging to watch them over a longish period. They spread themselves out over several roofs next to each other and seemed to be sunbathing for a time, as they were there for quite a few hours each day.

13. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    While I was visiting my dad down in Somerset last year I saw thousands of starlings in nearby trees. It was an awesome sight to see the branches of the trees literally bending with the weight of so many birds. The pictures aren't brilliant but they do give an idea of the amount of birds there were. The trees are 50 foot tall poplars. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Now that is awesome....

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    What eleagnus didn't tell you was that the shed she was heloing with was mine - I placed photos of it somewhere else on this board but they seem to have disappeared!