1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tics

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by youngdaisydee, Oct 21, 2008.

1. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am hesitant to use Frontline or similar on my dogs. Not for financial reasons but because it is a strong chemical that you put directly onto the skin at frquent intervals and I have reservations about that.
    Ref the alcohol - I figure the tick dies happy:lollol:

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My poor cats get tics all the time here, we would be lost without Frontline, actually at the moment we are using another product with the same effect, can't remember the name,but I used fronline for a long while with no problems nor allergies. I think before discarding the possibility at all it is worth trying it, fleas and tics are a nuisance and a real danger for pets and people alike.

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Thanks to you all you have just saved me some money.
    After comparing Frontline spot and combo I shall be trying the spot next time our Mojo needs some. It tends to get very expensive at the vets. I payed £30 on the last visit for 6 applications.
    Looks like a purchase from the www is the way to go.
    robert

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    We get lots of tics, and I do not like to use chemichals. I have been using frontline which my vet has recomended, but I only use it in the months when tics are around. However I have noticed that my blue dog picks them up despite recently having been treated with frontline and my vet has said that there is some evidence that dogs are becomming imune to it - or rather tics are becomming resistant (abit like my wretched whitefly!)

I try to use a plastic tic puller - they cost 99p from most vets and do the trick very well, but its disgusting having to squash the things when they come out alive!

I don't have cats around so never get fleas. I do believe that frontline is not the real nasty stuff that you get gulf war syndrome from, but I still try to use as little of it as possible.

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Waco
    I notice you live in Thornton-le-Dale.
    Is there any connection, re tics and the amount of sheep that roam around your part of the world?
    robert

6. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    [​IMG]
    These are the Tic Gizmo's they are foolproof and very easy to use they are bought in pairs the large one for Deer Tics, small one for Sheep. Any good pet shop or online from Petcetra.