1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

To line or not to line

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by FionaM, Sep 9, 2019.

1. FionaM

FionaM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I wonder if anyone could answer my query about whether to use lining when converting an area previously under paving stones into a flower bed. We have taken up the paving bricks, scraped up as much sand as we can, edged the side of the flower bed/trench with wooden fence posts lying on their side. The flower bed is roughly 8ft long, 2.5ft wide and about 3/4ft deep to the top of the woo[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] den blocks. The bottom of the bed is a kind of sandstone rock. A friend who has more experience of gardening than I says just put topsoil and compost in then plant the bulbs, rose bush etc that I want and says the drainage will be really good. My husband intends to line the flower bed with 'Weed Control fabric' that he has bought in rolls first. I am not sure who is correct.

I should add, perhaps, that the broadband cable is down there and had been covered by the paving bricks, not quite as deep as I would have expected. Naturally, I am keen not to disrupt this!

I have attached pictures here - or at least I attempted to - to give some idea and would appreciate any advice.

Kind regards,
    Fiona

20190909_130011.jpg 20190909_125943.jpg 20190909_131227.jpg

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Fiona, well, if you're just making a new flower bed then there is no need for the liner. You will need good drainage for the border and putting a liner down will do the opposite, even if it is a weed suppressing liner as weeds will grow in the border from seeds that are brought in by the wind, birds etc, so a weed suppressing liner is used for a driveway and would be a waste of money for a border. So fill the border with good top soil and a mixture of compost and then over the years add some new or used compost to give it some body.:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
    • FionaM

FionaM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      @ Armandii,

Thanks so much for this, it's really helpful!

Looking forward to getting my plants in the ground at last.

Kind regards,
      Fiona

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Let us all know in the GC Gang, of which you are a member:love30:, how, Fiona, you get on.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,986
      Totally agree. The name of the stuff is wrong, it does not suppress weeds and it disintegrates into string very quickly. I would consider covering the Broadband cable with something so that future gardening operations cannot accidentally hit the cable. Something like half a plastic drainpipe over it would do the trick.
      Another point is that it is very difficult to plant through the fabric despite what you may see on TV gardening programmes.

• Agree Agree x 2