1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Treat me like I am stupid....

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Fat Controller, Jul 17, 2016.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I presume I used to fiddle about as when I used to make wine I always started the yeast and nutrient off in a small bottle before adding it.
    I also added the sugar in stages, but that was 30yrs ago, I guess thinking has changed.

I found it fermented pretty well just at room temperature.

• Like Like x 2
    • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,615
      I just put corks in the (empty wine bottles from the pub) screwtop bottles - soak the corks the night before & they should go in without a problem.

Temperature for fermentation should be around 20-25'c so you shouldnt need anything to keep it warm this time of year.

Ive done a few batches of turbo cider from apple juice - comes out nice & strong but theres not a lot of flavour left in the cheap juice once you ferment all the sugar out, but its fun to try - theres a huge thread here with more information than you could probably ever want !

Ive just made some Ginger beer from scratch - surprisingly cheap (1.2Kg root ginger is about £3!) so most the cost is the sugar & the yeast. Nice to drink in the garden in the sun so hopefully it will be ready tomorrow !

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I can't offer any advice but you've bought back a memory for me..........

My dad used to make what was called " Orange Whisky" , it was made just like wine.

It was gorgeous :)

• Like Like x 4
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I'm making double the amount while the weather's warm, no heating in the winter and they don't do a 12 volt heating mat as far as I know.

• Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,435
            I've never made wine but I have made sloe gin & vodka....they were both lovely :ccheers:....not quite so lovely the next morning when I woke up with a head ache!!! :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Don't make sloe gin anymore either :thud:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,616
                I followed the "here" link and there was a giant thread that I couldn't seem to negotiate through to find your ginger beer recipe. Would you be able to share that please? I have made wine in the past and understand the process-need to go down to my junk drawer and pick out my hydrometer :) I really like the soda we call ginger ale and would love to try a hard (alcohol) ginger ale [​IMG]

thank you
                Lori

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,605
                Are you carbonating your Ginger Beer? I'd be interested in your recipe if you don't mind sharing.

Is there any reason that screwtop bottles would be unsuitable?

Also, when it comes to yeast - is turbo the way to go, or do you get better flavour from the longer brewing stuff?

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                Ratings:
                +7,297
                I am aware of two problems with screw top bottles
                1. If you are using them with screw tops, and it is not fermented out the bottles will explode
                where a cork would just shoot out

2. It was mentioned that the neck of a screw top bottle was too thin glass

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Depends on what final % you'm after [​IMG]

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                  Ratings:
                  +7,297
                  "Oxford Nick" "
                  Temperature for fermentation should be around 20-25'c so you shouldnt need anything to keep it warm this time of year."

Our summer temp is average 14c and rooms heated to 19c, so I would need a heated base then ?

• OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,615
                  Ginger beer from scratch, about 5 gals (22 L) - based on the fine work here, my third & best effort:
                  Into a big pan -
                  - 1.5 Kg root ginger - roughly chop then wizz up in the foot processor into a paste - you can take the skin off if you wish, I dont bother.
                  - Juice of four oranges, four limes, chuck the rind in too if its not too pithy
                  - Cream of tartar - one packet (about a teaspoon ?)
                  - about 5l of boiling water (I use tap)
                  - 100G or so of ginger powder, more for more gingery goodness but may never clear.

Boil for about an hour until the ginger is good & soft

Transfer to primary fermenter (bucket big enough to hold 5 gals + a bit of space at the top, needs a lid & ideally an airlock but just loosely putting the lid on is probably good enough to keep the nasties out, once the fermentation starts the CO2 sits on the top & keeps the air off) - I filter out the big bits at this point with the sieve I use for straining the veg but leave the pulpy ginger in so that the maximum flavour transfers.

- Add 2.5KG of sugar - I use soft brown (like the taste but you get brown Ginger beer) - normal white sugar should work too.
                  - Add yeast nutrient, about a teaspoon for each gallon.
                  - Top up to 22 L with tap water, stir well.
                  - Check temperature - if its 20-25'c or there about, add yeast, use a sparkling wine yeast if you can get one but any brewing yeast will work - bread yeast probably wont give you anything more than 3' proof & so wont carbonate with this amount of sugar (ie no fizz)

Should take about a week to ferment out - if you have a hydrometer you can use it, you should get something like 1.03/1.04 at the start and end at around 0.99 which works out at about 3 or 4.5 % alcohol, add more sugar for more %, but I think that this is best left around that level.

Find enough bottles for 20L or so & rinse out & sterilise - I use SVP cleaner but there are many many other ways to do this. For Ginger beer I have 750ml bottles with a bung (think Grolsh larger) - Aldi have these with lemonade in at the moment I think.

Add more sugar to each bottle before you fill it - about two teaspoons should do it, also add some sugar free sweetener, I use 2 canderel tablets for a 750ml bottle - the yeast is still active so it will use all the proper sugar & hopefully carbonise in the bottle. After about 3-4 weeks it should be drinkable, chill well before opening & it should clear & with a bit of luck be fizzzy too ! As with all bottle conditioned brews, theres a layer of muck in the bottom of the bottle, best not to drink that - it wont harm you but its probably a bit yeasty.

The last batch I made looks like this after 3 weeks - its nearly there, needs another week.
                  [​IMG]
                  --

So people say - Ive made a couple of hundred bottles & never had one do that - depends on whats going in I guess - one of the projects for this year is a sparkling wine so Im using the ginger beer bottles for that one.

Possibly - 19'c should be OK, 14'c probably wont be - its 27'c in my kitchen this evening !

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,605
                    Thank you @OxfordNick for taking all that time to type that all out. I will get onto the other PC tomorrow and copy it to the recipe scrapbook that we are building.

You are a true gent. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,605
                      I am going to start with the juice into wine, so 12-15%? Or is that too low/high :biggrin:

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,616
                        Thank you @OxfordNick I will start assembling the items. I believe I will start with smaller batch.

I have pressure cooked citrus for marmelades with good success. It certainly saved a lot of time and electricity. Do you think this would work with the ginger?

• Like Like x 1