1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual Creature

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by DAG, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I discovered I had rat family make its home under my shed a few years back - attacted by the droppings from the bird feeders. Answer ?stop feeding the birds - not an option, sides as ominivores they would have found something else. Whilst I am normally a live and let live person Weil's disease was something I did not want my dogs, friends or myself exposed to - so council called and baited (taking care to be not cat/dog accessible) - rats gone - shed terrace scoured.

Hopefully it will not happen again - once in 18 years is fine by me :D

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmm - I had a rat family under my shed a few years back - prolly attracted by the dropped seed from the bird feeders. I am usually a live and let live kinda person - but I was not about to expose, my dogs, my gardening friends, and me to Weil's disease. So council, called - its a free service - baited (safe from cats and dogs) - rats gone. Once in 18 years ain't bad

As for squirrels - tell me about their damage :mad: . Had one enter my roof space prolly from my neighbours DIY house building - my builder could find, no enty point my side. Chewed a joist half through - fortunately it was at the base and only supporting one tile. Trapped and removed - and oh boy do they make a racket when caught. Again first time in 18 years - hopefully the last.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,506
    RAT-a-tat-tat.... the best way to deal with them. :D

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The only difference between a squirrel and a rat is that one has a fluffy tail and the other doesn't. I understand that there is a project being developed to exterminate the grey squirrel completely from Britain. Something to do with making the next generation of females infertile. They are cute to watch and very clever, but so damaging to eggs, nestlings and tree bark. Introduced from USA in the 19th century and now they are just about everywhere and the red is just about nowhere in the south.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    DAG,

If you want, you are close to me, I can come and shoot them for you, I regularly shoot rats at my fathers smallholding.

As said above, rats urine, if got in a cut, can cause all kinds of health problems, my father had a dog which died through drinking water from a puddle.

The offer stands with regard to shooting them (but wont be able to take them away ;) ), and I am a fairly good shot.

Let me know if you want me to sort them out for you .

Nathan.

6. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Nathan, very kind of you, I will keep that in mind.

I sent an email off to Local council last night, and will keep you all updated, in the meantime I have removed all bird feeders.

Thank you all once again for your support.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :( There is a downside to the council DAG. They put poison down.. That, I don't have a problem with.. :rolleyes: I do when they crawl into the darkest depths of my shed & die... The smell is horrific & makes you feel quite unwell when trying to find it & get rid of it.... :eek: Usually have to empty the whole shed out. :eek: :eek: Apparently they are on the increase in towns & country.. Is that telling us something do you think???? :confused:

8. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They put the poison in plastic boxes which is supposed to prevent pets getting at it. Our cat died from eating a mouse that had eaten warfarin treated rat poison. Her eyes closed and her lips and nose went white. She collapsed in agony with all of the symtoms of advanced leukaemia - in just a few days!

You will not get rid of rats. Just stop putting food down for the birds. You want insect eating birds not seed/fruit eating birds. I have hanging seed feeders and put "Quaker" oats out on a high bird table all year round. Bread is bad for birds but rats love it. Rats come for food. No food and they will go elsewhere. You will never exterminate them.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I am sorry about your cat, Hornbeam. I have 2 cats and whilst I hate it if they ever catch birds or tiny mice and voles, they do a good job with rats as well. At this time of year they have bells on their collars, and as one is nearly 20 she's a bit past catching birds anyway. I rarely see a rat and I think the cats' presence is recognised.
    I do have plenty of small birds in my garden, including the ground feeding wrens.

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Oh Hornbeam, sorry to hear about your cat... :( I know the poison goes in boxes, but as you say our pets are still exposed. :( I had to stop ALL bird food as they still come for the seed that falls & rats are also very good climbers.... :eek: I couldn't risk my grandchildren getting Vialls from puddles etc, so with great reluctance I stopped feeding the birds. Always have water in the bird bath & they all come in to use that & the ponds, so do have plenty of birds still in our garden... :D BTW we have cats & dogs, but that doesn't deter the rats, around this area anyway..... :mad:

[ 05. June 2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

11. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Likewise, sorry to hear about your cat Hornbeam.

Got email from local council stating that they will be round tomorrow at 9 am to make an assessment.

From all your comments above, I seem to be in a no win situation! :eek:

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :( They are a national problem now apparently DAG.... :mad: So you are not alone......... :eek:
    ;) I keep ultra-sound repellers in my sheds & so far they seem to work, although people say they don't...!! All I know is I haven't had a mouse or rat problem since installing them. They run off the mains....... [​IMG]

[ 05. June 2006, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

13. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well that's the first bit of good news MF, something else I shall have to investigate! ;)

Until now, all my efforts went into trying to deal with badgers, but this year it seems ok so far!

14. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    ;) Nature likes to keep us busy one way or another.... ;) :D
    I tried battery repellers but they were rubbish, mains ones are best.... :D

15. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Another deterrant is a Ferret, the smell of a ferret really seems to ward Rats off ;) .

Nathan.