Unusual Creature

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by DAG, Jun 4, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Took down all bird feeders and cleaned up ground this morning, result.......no rats today!!!
    GC, you are 100%.... ;)

Just some fat pigeons strutting about looking hungry!

The bottom of next doors garden, and the garden backing on to that is a wild jungle. This seems to be where they were headed and most likely place to nest.

We have a lot of foxes about here, and one sleeps in the garden backing on to me, so won't they keep the rat population down anyway?

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Probably living too well on bird food until now :D

3. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dag, I am with Hornbeam on this topic, I have occasional visits to my birdtable from a rat, we have never been over run by vermin and if you do have dogs as long as they are vaccinated against Leptospirosis your dogs should be quite safe, Rats can give humans weils disease but this is very rare. Stop puting out the birds food for a few days and your little friends will soon move on to somewhere else in search of food [​IMG]

4. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Update:

Pest control Officer came today, pleased that I had removed all bird feeders, fat balls in particular (apparently rats love them) :eek: he dropped some poison over the fence in wild garden, after explaining that they don't use Walfarin any more, its now a second generation poison, which takes 7-10days to screw up their insides but don't kill other animals that eat them!

Can still feed the birds by making sure there is a tray underneath feeders to keep ground clean.

Also told us that in our area the rats are only a small field type, not the big nasty sewer rats!

The service is free.

5. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have an occasional visit from a rat to our bird table and we have never become over run with them, If you have dogs and are worried about them becoming ill through drinking rat urine, then as long as the vaccinations are up to date you should be fine (Leptospirossis) is covered in vaccinations. Weils disease is rare in humans. We can't go through life killing things that we find displeasing

6. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that info. Poppy33.

Tend to agree with you, but Pest Control Officer thought otherwise, and he is supposed to be the expert? (Hopefully). This is not a garden that is open to a field etc., but entirely surrounded by peoples back gardens, not good if they started multiplying here!

He did say that squirrels were far more of a problem, as pointed out above!

I suppose there is no sitting on the fence with this issue, so people have very strong feelings either way!

Anyway, spread the word folks, FAT BALLS ENCOURAGE RATS!

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    [​IMG] Glad he has been then DAG... They don't usue warfarin here either as it is indiscriminate... Have been told though that the rats were building up an immunity to The warfarin so that was another reason for changing... :eek: I would wait till the Autumn now before I put anymore food out for birds DAG... All they really need this time of year is water as there is plenty to eat... Hopefully by then the rats will have gone.... :rolleyes: :eek: :D

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    I would imagine you will find, when the cold weather comes back, rats don't have so much food available to them, so tend to hang around food point, ie bird tables etc.

So keep your eyes peeled.

With regard to killing rats, I prefer to shoot them than poison them, I feel it is a lot more humane.

Nathan.

9. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again MF/Nathan, will do just that.

Mrs.DAG has stopped looking out into the garden for the time being, she hates to see the birds flying over and trying to land on bird tables that are not there anymore! Guess the birds have their old habits too? ;)

10. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dag, Hope I did not sound like some extremist Nutter I did not mean to post 2 replies but when I looked earlier I could not see yesterdays entry. I think Webmasters way to deal with the rats is kinder..might have caused a bit of a stir with the neighbours :eek: I guess your right in removing the rats, Hope you get the problem sorted out soon [​IMG]

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    [​IMG] I agree with you Nathan, have popped a few off in my time & when in USA have even done it with a bow....!! :rolleyes:
    ;) I,m sure Mrs DAG will find something else to watch for the summer..... ;) :D

12. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    :D Probably DAG doing the gardening if Mrs Pal's anything to go by :rolleyes:

13. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Poppy33, that's ok, I don't suppose I will ever know if it was right to do that, just left it to the guy that knows more about it, especially as he was reassuring about not killing any other animals.

Shooting them does sound drastic especially in a small garden like mine, but at least it would be quick, but then that's only the ones that you see!

Steep learning curve, in just a few days then?

MF: :D She said she will have more time to do her cross-stitch now!

Just told me that because she won't be talking to the birds so much, that I am in for an ear bashing! [​IMG]

Pal: I would have thought Mrs.Pal. was too busy hanging out her smalls on the whirlygig! (and admiring the new fence!) :D

14. Paladin

Ratings:
    +770
    DAG :D Mrs Pal wants to know which ear Mrs DAG is going to bash first :D

15. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pal :D Does Mrs.Pal need advice? :D