1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WANNA KNOW HOW BIG YOUR SENSOR IS??

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by ARMANDII, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Not really, Scrungee.:dunno::snork: If I stick my 500mm lens onto the K5 then, because of the crop factor of 1.5, it becomes the equivalent of around 800mm on a Full Frame camera. Don't forget a smaller sized sensor sees less of the image so when you zoom you're actually only zooming a smaller proportion of the image against a Full Frame or even a bigger sensor.:coffee:

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Why couldn't you just say "Yes" ?:heehee:
    So, another simplistic question. Why aren't full frame sensors fitted to all cameras? (I suspect that the answer is already here somewhere:doh::heehee:)

3. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

That's reasonably simplistic to answer, Freddy........well, maybe:dunno::heehee:. When Digital photography started out the market was smaller, technology was a lot more restricted. So manufacture and production of digital sensors was a lot more expensive for the manufacturers and the smaller the sensor the less the cost. A 35mm sized sensor would have been so expensive to produce that only the elite with deep pockets could have bought such a camera. But now, with a still increasing massive global market, mass manufacturing sensor production is a lot cheaper. Having said that people become fans, as you have seen, of certain types of cameras with their associated types of sensor and persuading a fickle market to change over needs lots of investment and nerve from manufacturers.
    I'm pretty sure that within the next 24 months more and more manufacturers will bring out Full Frame sensors in cameras that are affordable to the ordinary photographer. Sony have just brought out the Alpha 7R CSC camera with a Full Frame sensor {36.4 million pixel} in order to keep up with the pressure of keeping ahead of the competition.......but it's around £1699 just for the camera body which still puts it out of the reach [although not the desire] of us normal folk.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Ahh, I'd mistakenly assumed that DSLR cameras had a full size sensor, my bad....:new::heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        No, it was decided by the manufacturers, once there was stability in the market and the ability to mass produce cheaply, to have a standard size for DSLR's which ended up as APS-C. Some sizes of sensors have only recently been introduced like the Micro Four Thirds System which came into being via Panasonic and Olympus in 2008. So like I say once the manufacturers decide it's financially viable you'll start to see mass manufacture of Full Frame cameras, taking us back in history to the old 35mm standard, that ordinary photographers can afford. Maybe when that happens other size sensors will disappear although I doubt that.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
        • Freddy

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          Well, considering I've been considering replacing my camera, it seems prudent to hang fire:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Well, it's not that prudent, Freddy, as I think it will be at least a couple of years, maybe more, before the mass manufacture of affordable Full Frame cameras appear in all the types of cameras from Compacts to DSLRs. What we're seeing now is the introduction of Full Frame into the high end of camera ranges as Manufacturers "test the waters". I'm pretty sure that my camera brand [Pentax] will introduce a high end full frame DSLR and possibly other types within 24 months, but I won't be able to afford it as it will probably be around the £2000 mark just for the camera body. But someone, some time, somewhere will take the plunge in investing in mass production of Full Frame sensors and the rest will follow.
            To be honest, I'm more than happy with the results I get with the APS-C sensor so I don't see any reason to move up to Full Frame until I've learnt all I can from using what I've got. Why move to Full Frame just because it is Full Frame??!:dunno::snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Freddy

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,508
              I wasn't necessarily saying that I would want a full size sensor (given what you've said) , but once they are more readily available, one would assume that the 'lower' end will start to tumble in price, yes? My capabilities as a photographer are quite limited, so a 'high' end would probably be wasted on me. My questioning has been more about clarification than anything else. Mind you, it's always nice to have a new toy;):snork:

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Yes, I think you're right, Freddy. It's like a lot of things, when they first appear they're usually highly priced and, because of the new technology, highly desirable to the consumer. But after awhile they become common place and the market price falls as manufacture becomes easier and newer technology introduces more desirable products.
                You'll probably see the first Full Format DSLRs come in with 60-90 million pixels sensors to please the high end buyers. Then the natural evolution of increasing improvements and higher pixel levels will reduce the original 60-90 million pixels to common place and mass manufacture.

Yep, probably why I keep adding different lenses to my collection!!:dunno::doh::heehee:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,362
                Is that useful when taking photos of crop circles? :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  That would depend if you were taking a crop of them or just one, Shiney:snork:

You're actually close to the technical truth though. Shiney:dunno:, as the image falling on the sensor is circular but of course the sensor only sees what it's sensor shape sees, i.e. oblong or square in the circular shape:snork:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  The Leica m9 is only a rangefinder but has a full frame sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,362
                    I knew that! ;) :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                      Ratings:
                      +3,698
                      Well I have no plans to move to full frame, unless a lottery win comes my way. And there is no chance of that as I do not do the lottery.

All my lens would need replacing along with associated filters, grads etc so that would make it very expensive to start with...a few thousand!

Plus to get the best out of a new full frame camera I would upgrade the glass from Canon standard to Canon "L" series with shallower depth of field.

In all, I would not expect much change out of ten grand, and I would want wheels on it for that money...or would have to be earning from it to qualify it.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,560
                        I've been reading this with interest. Some of it did manage to penetrate the 'sawdust' the rest went way over my head but I think I've got the gist! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2