1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WANNA KNOW HOW BIG YOUR SENSOR IS??

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by ARMANDII, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    It is, Scrungee, and there are a lot of Range finder camera fans out there. But at £3,391.oop just for the camera body of the Leica M9 it's too expensive for the ordinary photographer. There are Compact, CSC, and Bridge Cameras with Full Frame but they are all marketed at the high end of the range and therefore again out of the reach of us ordinary photographers. But, like I said earlier, I believe the Camera Manufacturers are slowly edging towards mass manufacture of Full Frame Sensors with the increase in the introduction of more, albeit it the high end range, Full Frame models.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,785
    The first Cameras I had were a Fed and a Zorki range finder's,both Russian, which I acquired from a Russian ship captain back in the 1960's,,Zorki is Russian for "Sharp Sighted":)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I started with a Halina 35x in the 1960's which leaked light and you cocked the shutter with the lever you can see on the barrel of the lens. I was with the Black Arrows [No.III Squadron] then and I only wish I had the camera then that I have now.

[​IMG]

But it introduced me into the world of photography and then I joined a RAF Photography Club where the guys showed me how to develop my pics......brilliant!!:hapydancsmil::snork:

• Like Like x 2
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        My first camera:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
        • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,257
          Like Sheal, I've been reading all these camera threads with great interest. All these discussions remind me of one of my cousins who was a keen and knowledgeable amateur photographer and only used manual cameras and 120 format films and believed digital cameras were just for people to play with and the quality would never be as good. His daughter did buy him a high end digital camera for his 60'th birthday just to bring him in to digital age I suppose but unfortunately he died before he'd had chance to become a full digital convert.

Personally I could never justify spending the amount of money he did on camera equipment as I know too little to justify the cost.

On the whole I believe that although the quality of a camera is a big factor in good photography, the person holding it is more important. Learning and understanding of how the camera works, plus practise will improve one's ability at taking good photos. But like playing music instruments one needs talent. If one doesn't have that talent, is (for example) not good at composing, using / manipulating light, there is just no point in getting a fancy camera, an easy to use compact digital camera will be sufficient, and if one needs to take pictures at further distance then a bridge camera with a good zoom will suffice. (There's also the matter of physical strength. At Slimbridge the other day there were people in some of the hides with lenses which I would have needed a wheelbarrow to be able to move more than a few feet.;))

I feel it is a bit of a shame nowadays that with most of us using fully automated cameras, the need for us to work on apertures, shutter speed, adjusting depth of fields and so on is nearly none existent, so the knowledge and understanding of the technical side of photography is disappearing fast.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,698
          I've heard this so many times, and it never fails to make me smile.

There are quite a few photographers today who thought they had "no talent" until they took my course, some of them are here on Gardeners Corner, some have gone on to win competitions and acclaim too or sell work.

This is what my whole course is based upon, and I put it simply thus "Learn how to control your camera, rather than letting it control you". There is a time for fully automatic snapshots ( I took some today myself) and there is a time to be creative and manipulate the light to get the desired effect, I believe this can be taught to anyone, regardless of skill or talent level.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            Many years ago, after much deliberation (by the managers who didn't consult the staff who were going to use it) a new Nikon SLR film camera system was purchased at great expense. Then I brought my latest 1mp digital camera into work and was emailing pics around within minutes of getting back from sites when others were waiting a day to get films developed. Despite the managers trying to coerce the staff to use the lovely new camera they had bought for them, within months it was dumped at the back of a cupboard and never used again.

My first decent digital camera that probably cost me a month's disposable income, a whopping 2.1mp with a massive 1/2" CCD sensor and 3x superzoom Linky

camedia.jpg

• Like Like x 2
            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,785
              My Fed Range finder led me in to the world of wedding photography and Yashica Mat Camera 2 and a quarter square and a Rolliflex,using monochrome, spending all day Sundays developing and printing in the dark room;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                I think everyone agrees with you on that point, HsuH.:snork:

I agree that learning and understanding how a camera works and practicing using it will help people take better shots than if they were just pointing and shooting but regarding having the talent, in a sense, I'm not so sure about. I say that because I can't paint, draw, play any music instrument, sing [although I would dearly love to.....but not all at the same time.:heehee:] But picking up a camera some how brings to life a latent awareness and curiosity of things around you which wasn't there before. I think you might have to have an "eye" for things but it doesn't really have to be there in first place because when a person accidentally gets a great pic that seems to trigger the desire to learn a bit more.....and then the path goes on.

I very rarely use the automatic mode of my camera even though it was tempting at the first to see what it could do. But I nearly always use Manual mode as it makes you think and use your brain making you more aware, and with Digital if you make an error you learn from it immediately and can bin the image immediately as a bonus!!
                Steve R gave members the opportunity to go on a free course that taught them about their camera, how to understand it, and also how to use Manual mode on it more than they ever thought about.....a good course and much appreciated by those who took it. So there are members of GC who now see their cameras in a different light and are more confident in taking pics.

There are those people who pick up a camera and use it for which most of us originally used it for i.e: the taking of pics of the family and hols etc, which is great because that is all they are asking of it. But some people will get the bug and carry on exploring beyond pointing and shooting.

I know, I've seen them!!!:lunapic 130165696578242 5: If I'm going for a day at a Nature Reserve or the like I take a small rucksack with a large [500mm] lens, a wide angle lens, a macro lens in it plus sandwiches and water, with a fast lens on the camera, and a travelling tripod on my back. But I have seen guys rushing around [why I don't know] carrying gear fit for making a major film at Hollywood!!!

• Like Like x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,310
                  I must say, I do miss working out all the correct settings for the result I want. That was part of the real enjoyment of photography when I had my old Canon AV1 but that sort of thing got too heavy for me to lug around all day.

These used to be interesting cameras to use
                  212_1286.JPG

212_1288.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                  • Scrungee

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    It's a shame they never made 'digital backs' for them (there's a Facebook campaign for them Linky), similar to the old Polaroid backs to bring them through into the digital age, same with all those SLR 'legacy' lenses in that a digital cameras weren't made that they could be used on (other than old Leica lenses can still be used on their rather expensive m8 digital camera). I guess they wanted to fund their digital R&D costs with all the money everybody had to spend on a new set of lenses.

• Like Like x 1
                    • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                      Ratings:
                      +89,785
                      When I go to the RSPB reserve I take a Des O'Connor L.P. with me:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Actually, Scrungee, with my Pentax K5, it's lesser ranked models, and the newly introduced K3 you can, and I do, go back to 1975 with the K mount lenses and screw mount M42 lens [which I can use with an inexpensive adapter] go back to 1949. There are now more adapters being introduced to cross over lens if you wish, and of course the Tamron Adaptall made fitting their lenses even easier, and to be honest I would rather buy and use old "glass" as they are mostly of superb quality.:snork:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      But that'll frighten the birds and all beasts in the area, Woo:dunno::hate-shocked::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1
                      • Scrungee

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        I use my old OM lenses on my OMD and Pen cameras using an adaptor, but miss the old focussing screens. I still hanker for an 'old fogey SLR mode' setting where all you have to do is focus, and set the speed/aperture.

• Like Like x 3