1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

were to get hawthorn

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by ryan.c, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ryan.c

ryan.c Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    first all sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread :)
    does any~one know where i could get hawthorn online ,my garden center suggested i look online but iv'e had no luck finding a site
    they also mentioned buying the root stock (i think that was the word) where could i find hawthorn root stock :) ,(i think i basically buy the root stock and plant it or at~least that's how she explained it:what:: )

im in the scottish borders :)

cheers r.c

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think you're a bit late to get bare root trees now. They are usually sold from back end of October to back end of February, when they are dormant. Good suppliers wont lift them during the growing season because their chances of survival drop significantly once the tree wakes up.

Are you in a hurry for them?

If you want bare root trees, I think you'll have to wait until the back end of autumn. There's this one, which I might have done business with (will have to search through my old emails to make sure its them): Hedges & Garden Hedging Plants Online - Hedges Direct UK

Or it might have been these:
    RHS Hedging Plants | Bare Root Hedging | Instant Hedge | Hedge Nursery

At this time of year though, I think you're limited to pot grown ones, or cell grown ones.

The woodland trust's online shop used to sell Hawthorn on its own or in bulk, but now it seems that they just do mixed hedges containing Hawthorn, which looks good value to me.

Hedge in a box from the the Woodland Trust's Native Tree Shop

EDIT: Just noticed that Blackthorn is included in the Woodland Trust's pack, which is great because at this time of year it is lovely, decked out in masses of white blossoms, and blue berries in autumn. The only downside to Blackthorn (apart from being one seriously vicious tree) is that it spread by underground runners, so might not be a popular choice if you don't fancy sticks laden with razor sharp 2 inch thorns popping up in your lawn.

3. ryan.c

ryan.c Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    i would have prefered it this time of year ,but ye i could wait till august :) ,one of your links has caught my eye ;) ,cheers for the links :)

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I have bought thousands (literally!) of hedge plants from Ashridge Trees and thoroughly recommend them

Buy Hawthorn Hedge Plants - Crataegus monogyna - Quickthorn

but too late for bare-rooted until the Autumn.

I buy their 60-80cm plants when I don't need instant-hedge, they are a bit bigger than 40/60cm, but negligibly more expensive - whereas the next size up has a higher price (probably grown an extra year I expect)

If you want to plant now you'll need container-grown plants (Ashridge don't sell container grown Hawthorn, although they do have other varieties in containers).

Note that pruning of Hawthorn in the first couple of years is very important, otherwise you won't get any hedge "down the bottom"

Hawthorn Hedging - How To Clip a Hawthorn Hedge

5. ryan.c

ryan.c Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks for the preening link :) ,i found some hawthorn in my local area :yess: :)

cheers for the help

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm glad you've got it sort Ryan. I got an email from The Hedge Nursery today (that must have been the one I dealt with before). They were saying its the last chance to order bare root trees for April delivery. They are taking orders til this weekend.

I think they're pushing it a bit though, especially with the unusually warm weather we've had lately. I don't think bare root trees would be a good choice now until back end of autumn.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Absolutely agree, although if they offer a guarantee on their plants (which Ashridge trees do) then I guess you've got nothing to lose! and they will be confident in their plants even planted during April.