WHAT'S BUZZING OR FLYING NEAR YOU 2018

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    • Like Like x 1
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,243
      I presume this Greater Black Backed Gull is trying to eat a Flounder, (don't know much about marine fish)
      GULL 1.JPG

GULL 2.JPG

• Like Like x 4
      • hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,731
        White Breasted Nuthatch.

NH172.jpg

• Like Like x 8
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Flounder or Dab :thumbsup:

• Useful Useful x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
            Ratings:
            +28,243
            @hydrogardener that's the same as I saw at the Garden of the Gods National Park in Colorado so it must have a wide distribution.

We only have the one Nuthatch here in the UK and I have only had one visit to my garden in 7 years!!:frown:

• hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,731
            We have several on our property, some of them are red breasted nuthatches. I am trying to lure one of them into range so I can shoot it, photographically of course. :smile:

The Tufted Titmouse is one of my favorite birds to photograph, but when the tuft is laying down they look sort of sad and dejected with those big black sad eyes.

Titmouse 72.jpg

• Like Like x 7
              Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +117,318
              This is advice sent out by CJ Wildlife (with thanks to birdfood.co.uk) I've taken out any links to their website but you can go there if you wish.

You probably know most of this anyway but it's good to know.

Absolute no-nos

We give birds fat balls, so therefore leftover turkey fat must be fine to pour into bowls - isn't it? Actually, the answer is a resounding no. The fat stays soft when it cools and so could cover birds' feathers, damaging their ability to stay warm.

Indeed, all leftover meat juices that we typically have at Christmas - including ham and goose - are unsuitable because they go off very quickly and can therefore become breeding grounds for harmful bacteria.

Snacks such as pre-packed and processed nuts, crisps and pretzels are also likely to be bad for birds because they usually have high levels of added salt, which is toxic, while chocolate is also poisonous because of the theobromine it contains.

Despite bread being something many people throw out for their feathered friends, it isn't actually the best thing you can give them. Although it isn't dangerous, it doesn't contain many nutrients and so fills their stomachs up with empty calories, potentially reducing their ability to stay warm by burning energy.

And finally, whilst dried fruit is a popular treat for your garden birds, and is a perfectly safe supplementary food for the bird table, please remember to take extra care to not allow dogs or cats to eat any foods containing raisins or sultanas as even in small amounts these can cause serious renal problems.

Good to give at Christmas

Although cooked meat juices are bad, processed, uncooked fat is actually good for birds because it is full of calories. You can either put it out as it is, or squash it down with one of our seed mixes and suet or lard to make a bird-friendly Christmas dinner.

Other good treats include the crumbs from Christmas cake, mince pie pastry and biscuits, dry porridge oats, fruit and grated cheese (as long as it's mild).

Many people are also unaware that cooked roast potatoes are suitable for birds too. Just cut them into cubes and put them on your feeding stations.

• Like Like x 2
              • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                Warning over unclean bird feeders
                [​IMG]
                Contagious infections can spread from bird feeders
                Experts have warned that bird feeders and baths should be regularly cleaned to prevent a disease which is being blamed for a drop in greenfinches.

The contagious parasite trichomoniasis is said to be flourishing in wet conditions, the British Trust for Ornithology says.

The parasite causes throat swelling in birds, preventing them from eating.

Greenfinches are at particular risk and it is feared half a million may have died in one year alone.

In a paper due out later this month, the BTO will warn that cases of trichomoniasis have spiralled.

The BTO is calling on bird lovers to regularly clean tables and empty feeders, bird baths and duck houses to prevent the disease spreading further.

Its research comes days after the researchers at the Scottish Agricultural College (SAC) also said garden bird feeders could be putting birds at risk.

A 13-year study but the college found that the salmonella infection can build up on feeders and then spread among birds.

The study revealed that greenfinches and house sparrows appeared to be particularly vulnerable to the disease.

Just wanted to add this information to the thread because until very recently we have seen evidence of the problem here in our village, which we believe to be results of someone over feeding the birds and hedgehogs throughout the year, and not cleaning the feeders.
                We are correcting this now, but are still finding dirty feeders all over the place as well as dirty nesting boxes.

It is always distressing to find dead birds, but especially so when it can be avoided.

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +28,243
                  A good reminder @Tetters. This problem isn't as well known as it ought to be.

The wooden feeding base of my four year old bird table was gradually decaying and was a pig to clean particularly as I put wire around the middle to keep the pigeons out.

I have just bought an RSPB table because it has a pull out easy to clean plastic tray.:smile:

• Like Like x 3
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                    Ratings:
                    +5,404
                    Righto... Thanks Strongy, something important for our shopping list :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +117,318
                      I use hanging bird feeders and try to clean them regularly but think I may not do it often enough :sad:

The wire one for peanuts is easy and tends not to get mucky anyway but the others are quite difficult. To clean them properly is quite fiddly and time consuming. To do this I need to take them apart, brush them through (I have a 4ft bottle brush for that), hose them out and then put them back together again. It's the fiddly job of putting them together that takes the time.

Trying to get the nuts and bolts/screws back in is extremely fiddly as I really need three hands. Holding the perches in their holes, one on each side, whilst trying to get the nut to sit straight on the end of the bolt is difficult and then I could do with a third hand to screw them together. This is easier in the warmer weather when my fingers don't get frozen by the cold. The big feeder takes about an hour to do.

So I tend to only do a partial job in the cold weather :dunno: I unscrew the base and give that a good scrub and use the bottle brush as far as the next perches. I also brush through the top end to the first set of perches. Then I hose the whole thing through.

The smaller birds tend to sit and watch me working (one of the robins quite often sits on the table that I'm working at :)) but the bigger birds disappear. When I fill them again the birds start landing on the feeder whilst I'm still fitting it on the stand!

I feed them throughout the year and let them regulate how much food they need. when we're away a neighbour comes in and fills the feeders. They get through an average of 20kg every five weeks. :rolleyespink: The taxman wouldn't allow me to add them as dependents! :noidea:

• Like Like x 3
                      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        As I may have mentioned some time back the resident Buzzards we had in our little wood disappeared this spring after 17 odd years (they were here when we moved in). No idea what happened to them but no sign all summer. However, either they or another Buzzard/s has taken up residency. I am not sure if there is a pair or just 1 atm. Anybody have knowledge as to whether it is likely it is the same Buzzard/s or just a new possible offspring of the original lot? Also it may be a coincidence but since the departure of the Buzzards in the spring I have seen and heard (gawd what a ghastly call they have) quite a few Woodpeckers (at least 5) frequenting the wood. There have been the odd 1 over the years but now ! see/hear them pretty well daily. I am hoping the lack of Woodpeckers in the past was not due to the resident Buzzards and hoping they can live in peace together. I am also hoping if the Buzzard/s are new ones they don't bother the birds in the garden. The old lot never came over the garden and I never saw them bothering the birds. I have enough trouble protecting the huge number or birds that frequent my garden from my 2 fluffy cream things (cats) I don't need to be worrying about big birds trying to munch the wee ones as well:rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                          Ratings:
                          +31,484
                          We've got 3 woody's + other birds and 4 Buzzards, i've not see the buzzard take anything other an a rat and a squirel, or something that is not well or injurd on the ground then buzzard may take

• Like Like x 3
                          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            Oh that's good news...mainly. Last year for the 1st time we had red squirrels here (there is a small scurry, I had to look up what a group of squirrels is called:) about 2 miles from here). If Buzzards have a liking for squirrels then I doubt the lovely wee red ones will take up residency here unfortunately:frown:

• Like Like x 2
                            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                              Ratings:
                              +31,484
                              We have lots of grey's and i've only seen one being taken by the buzzard, if the red's are well and fast to get out of the way then they should be ok most of the grey's here have to get for tree to tree using the ground in between them so good hunting for the buzzard but i wouldn't think a buzzard would take one from a tree

• Like Like x 2