whats this??

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by wildflower, Jul 8, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I found this horridble looking thing in my greenhouse half hour ago..their is also a giant size frog in their wish they would clear off!!so i am not sure what this nasty thing is well its over to the left of the photo..

[​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +51,091
    Looks like a gecko to me but I didn't think you got them in the midlands. They have colonised on the southern side of the IoW (Ventnor) and "supposedly" that's the only place outside of mainland Europe. They are harmless and soft to touch and eat lots of bugs so they are very handy to have around. We have them all over the place, in the garden, in the house [​IMG] Love the little critters; well, some can be big. [​IMG] My cat brings them in but if he carries them in by the tail, the tail comes off (it's a defence mechanism, an escape method). The other day, Magic Sam had one and it dislodged it's tail and rang into the flowerborder and Magic Sam sat there with a wiggling tail in his mouth poking around the flowers looking for the rest of it! :D :D

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    whatever it is well its got to go as i dont like it..have just done a search and it looks like a gecko but its cold here? except occasionally..would rather have bugs than this horridble looking thing..

4. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +51,091
    Aw, they're sweet ... send it to me and I'll adopt it :D Just pick it up and put it elsewhere and perhaps you'll never see it again :rolleyes:

PS If you've got one, I suspect there are more of them lurking somewhere :eek:

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Its just a newt isn't it? They eat lots of slugs

6. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it looks like a newt after doing a search just a common one!! sorry newt but someone has got to remove you..i dont mind rats..mice..insects but i cant stand these slimey things the frogs get out of my way when i am in the garden ..and now this thing has parked its bum in my greenhouse..i went to get the hosepipe to squirt at it and when i got back it had hid...

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :rolleyes: Wildflower ..!! I am suprised at you..!!! :D ( Sorry if you have a real phobia.. :( ) They are one of the gardeners best friends in the garden...!! :D The fact you have found him in the garden is telling you your eco-system you have going there, is very good..!!
    Just try to ignore him & let him get on with life. He probably lives in your pond...!! [​IMG] I have some too, as well as frogs... :cool: :D Here is a link which might help you... http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/479.shtml

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    marley farley ..i really dont like them i have been here 20 years and have never seen one before..well i dont mind him living in the pond but not in the greenhouse..!I was scared of frogs when i moved here but have sort of got over that i move and they skip out the way thats fine..i dont like frogs in the greenhouse either..nothing where my feet are enclosed.. :( give me a mouse anyday..i thought it looked a vile creature..still do..!!

9. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    looks like its female according to marleys link..we wont want any males around wafting anything at it..! one is enough.!!.it wasnt night when i saw it so it had come out early..

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,586
    Its' a female smooth newt, no question, there are several in our pond at work. They eat the insects that eat the plants so they are beneficial; to have around. It doesn't bite or sting and they are not slimey, there really isn't anything to be afraid of WF. They certainly are not vile, not to me but I am biased towards them. [​IMG]

11. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    You are honoured! Even if you don't like it, perhaps you can tolerate it for all the bugs it will eat. [​IMG]
    Although it's called common, all these little creatures are struggling. :(

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +51,091
    A newt makes more sense in your part of the country, especially with your pond. As I type this, my Magic Sam has got a gecko on the kitchen patio and leaping around squeaking (which he does when he has a plaything). Let yours go and play in the pond ... :D :D

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +51,091
    Here's a little chappie we caught on camera a while ago without his tail ...

[​IMG]

... so he / she won't have a tale to tell :D :D

14. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OOh Wildflower - I am with you on this one - I have a very bad phobia of frogs and toads - I was brave the other day cos there was one in amonst the greenery and he hopped off - usually takes me ages to get over it but I had a good talk to myself and kept weeding!! I felt quite chuffed that I hadnt run round squeeling like a girlie :rolleyes: LOL Dont mind spiders, I can pick them up, and snakes are not too bad but them there toady things YUCK!!
    PS Hope you get rid of the little blighter soon [​IMG]

15. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks marge..glad to know i am not alone..I can tolerate the frogs outside and in the pond...definately not in the greenhouse..my greenhouse is by the back door so i have been having visions of this newt coming in...yuk..have looked today and cant see it well the greenhouse is full with things to go out late september so i cant get in anyway..i just put the hosepipe on to water in their..i dont know where its come from next door have a better pond than me so perhaps its changed residence..I have a frog living in the pond and when i get in he gets out fast which suits me fine..I also talked myself into liking the frogs..at the end of the day they were here before me..so i got used to them...i like that name "the little blighter"