1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Window sill edibles

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Clueless 1 v2, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,573
    Good evening all.

What can we grow indoors on the windowsill at the back end of the year and through winter, that is pretty enough to be indoors, and is also food?

Right now, I have a pot of chard and a pot of coriander. Herbs and salad leaves are probably the obvious choice. But does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm thinking about pak choi as one option, because when mature they're excellent in store fries among other things. I don't know if they're really suitable for pot growing indoors though.

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
  3. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18,181
    I always grew parsley but haven't done so for many years. I will start again this winter.
    Chives also will grow in a pot on a windowsill through the winter.

4. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,687
    I always have a round of herbs going on, basil, oregano and thyme at least. Grow lights keep them good through the winter.

This year I'm planning to experiment and sow Chillies now. Perhaps also some French beans, just so that aphids and spider mites don't get hungry at Christmas. :biggrin: Since I anyways want my kitchen (where we spend most of our waking hours) well lit, the grow lights can just as well serve for some fun plant watching.

I was not at all impressed with IKEA's brochure advertising their overpriced (but stylish) grow light system where a young lady was "amazed" that she can actually grow cabbages indoors. What's the point of using the expensive system to grow something that takes half a year to mature, and can be bought for pennies from shop? :scratch:

Anyways, hopefully chillies will be fine, fresh ones are so nice to pick for cooking. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,050
      If you have a wide window sill how about having a go at a pineapple. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +893
        I'd try watercress.' Aqua' from Unwins, in tray or pots. Doesn't need running water but is best kept well damp. When it eventually runs to seed, save and resow.

• Like Like x 2