1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Woodland Magic

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Hornbeam, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Birchanger Woods were lovely this morning.
    [​IMG]

This ancient wood has the A120 going right through it cutting it in half. Planners!!
    [​IMG]

The A120 is noisy and feeds the noisier M11 and the even noisier Stansted Airport. So I wear a Walkman radio tuned to Classic FM. It is a soul uplifting experience to walk in such beauty while listening to Chopin, Brahms and Mozart.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my photos of Birchanger and other threatened places feature on this year's calender for the Stop Stansted Expansion campaign. http://www.stopstanstedexpansion.com/calendar.html

2. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    These pictures are absoloutely fantastic..what a wonderfull place..we are so lucky in the uk that we still have so many magical woods left..lets hope the planners leave this one alone.. [​IMG]

3. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Alas - these woods are not safe from the planners! Expected airport expansion means more traffic and so it is likely that the A120 will be widened.

I have travelled all over the world, but still believe that England is the most beautiful country ...despite all that we do to ruin it

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hornbeam,If Shiney lives in your area of Bishops Stotford,would he have the same noise problems as you from the M11 and Stansted.

I remember when I was courting my O/H when there was a big campaign at Yardley Hastings because they wanted to put Heathrows next airport expansion up in Yardley Chase woods, there in the early eighties. In the end Stansted was picked.
    Beautiful photo's though.I could just walk through there if I thought it was safe to do so

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Its safe Kandy. We don't have too much noise from the overhead aircraft as they avoid Stortford itself. The surrounding villages get it really bad because the planes stack up and circle. The real problem is the airport road traffic, the extra houses and factories and the pollution. The trees in Hatfield Forest are slowly being poisoned by aircraft fuel - and that's a specially protected place - SSSI and all that

6. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gorgeous pics Hornbeam - shame you cant just walk through and enjoy the sounds of the forest - still, listening to the kind of music you do is a close second ;)

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    What a Bxxxxy shame.Man in their greed will not be happy until they have destroyed this beautiful land of ours.I will check out that link.
    Thanyou for showing me another beautiful part of our country I have never seen before [​IMG]

8. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Awesome pictures...I am a sucker for woodland scenes and this is right on the money!

This is my favourite, I could seriously lose myself in this one [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    BM When we go on holiday we always try for these sorts of places to walk [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I like the fact that you can't see the way out. Trees just do it for me full stop.

When I was a baby BM I used to go walking in Epping Forest with my Great Uncle. I love the stillness and isolation of the forest. I am one of these weirdos that wants a woodland burial :(

Few more years and I will have my own forest at BM's Hideout :D

11. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Me Too BM.I keep telling my O/H that I want a green burial when I go.
    If I had money I would buy lots of woods,just so that me and anyone else can enjoy the beauty of them.Lots of them round us have Private-Keep Out signs all round them

12. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I always see "Private Keep Out" signs as an invitation to go for a nice stroll. Woodland burial for me too and Epping Forest is just pure magic. First went there with my Dad when we lived in the East End. Known it now for about 60 years and still in love with it. Got hundreds of photos taken in all seasons. Just two here from last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Really like the second one, Hornbeam, that is so .. so .. so.. but also agree with BM on that woodland scene, a real wow, I could imagine wandering there myself .. superb!

14. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Corr Hornbeam,Fantastic.We have only got tiny woods near us compared to you.Another 1st with your fantastic photographs [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic pics Hornbeam [​IMG]
    So envious on being able to go to these places [​IMG] Never seem to have the time to just....walk :( :(