1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Woodland Magic

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Hornbeam, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    A good way of finding woods near where you live is to visit the website of the Woodland Trust. You enter your town name and a list of nearby woods comes up. All have free access. For example - there are three near Kettering

http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/woods/index.htm

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I love all the photos, HB, and I go along with all the sentiments expressed by everyone, BUT.... surely it's because there's so much demand for holidays abroad that the airports are expanding? So the only solution to them expanding is for people not to travel abroad so much. Not only would places like these beautiful woods be a nicer place still, but there would be far less environmental pollution too. So - how do you stop people flying all over the place?? Big question - anyone got the answer?

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing i can think of is less flights higher taxes on aeroplane companys which would then be passed on to the customer..make them pay for what they are doing to our country..
    And more advertising for the uk ..scotland ireland and wales..
    Their is no finer scenery anywhere than in ireland and scotland wales ..cornwall and devon look at the giant causeway in northern ireland its absolutely breathtaking..I have been abroad and lived abroad so i have seen whats out their ..But nothing compares to what we have here..

4. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    gorgeous pics boys
    woodlands are just magical [​IMG]

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    31st 0ctober. Is this the last day of the longest summer ever recorded? The leaves in Hatfield Forest are still mostly green and few have begun to fall. Will November bring more of the same or will we be plunged into sudden winter?

This was the forest this morning...

[​IMG]

Some trees are beginning to turn colour

[​IMG]

But most are as fresh and as green as they were in summer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm so lucky to be living close to this wonderful forest. Yet every leaf on every tree and every flower on every plant is threatened by airport expansion. The forest is slowly dying from aircraft fuel pollution. So sad. When will they ever learn?

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Autumn colours at last!

[​IMG]

7. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    November and the leaves are still green and still on the trees. Those on the forest floor are from last autumn:

Loughton Brook in Epping Forest
    [​IMG]

Birchanger Wood
    [​IMG]

9. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They are wonderfull,,This last one you have put up you allmost expect a mystery figure to come walking through the woods..you have captured the light so well.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wonderful pictures, I missed the Autumn colour this year as our trees have been almost bare since October due to severe gales blowing all the leaves off.