Your Collective Wisdom please re Globe Artichokes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Dovefromabove, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,464
    I’ve long hankered after growing globe artichokes … I’ve not got a lot of room but probably have space for a couple of plants … the garden in Central Norfolk (southern edge of Norwich near the marshes) is quite sheltered, the soil here is free-draining gritty loam and I could give up a space at the sunniest end of the veg patch.

I’ve never grown them before so I’d welcome the forum’s collective experience and wisdom before I make up my mind … thank you.

2. JennyJB

JennyJB Gardener

Ratings:
    +930
    I haven't grown artichokes, but I do have their ornamental relation, a silver-leafed cardoon, which really enjoys the light soil. I have several self-seeded offspring from the original one. I think the artichokes will like your conditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,308
      I'm raking my brain and I think I did grow them from seed once.
      I think I had to overwinter them and they kept blowing over.
      I seem to remember flower heads the second year, never bothered after that, but then I'm no gourmet.

• Like Like x 1
      • BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
        Ratings:
        +149
        Hi @Dovefromabove
        I grew a couple of plants which I picked-up at a local private house which used to sell seedlings of various veg (via an honesty box outside.)
        I grew them in my improved and well drained clay in full sun, where they did well for about 5 years. They grew to about 5-6ft and were tall and narrow in growth habit. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,690
          We have some but don't do anything to them apart from cutting them back in the winter. They were here when we came here 52 years ago and flower every year. We don't eat them as Mrs Shiney uses their flowers in flower arranging.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
          • Dovefromabove

Ratings:
            +1,464
            Thanks folks … keep it coming :)

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations regarding varieties?

• On the Levels

On the Levels Gardener

Ratings:
            +581
            We have grown globes for many years. We usually harvest 20-30 each year. We are on heavy clay soil. We have had to sow more seeds this year as the wet and then very dry spells didn't do the globes any favours. We have 3 plants still from last year which are bulking up well. Usually the plants last for some years. We do have to tie them up if we have strong winds. We have found that Green Globe a better size globe than Italian Purple (which can be prickly). When you cut the stalks don't get the end on your hands. Not nice. Cooked in salty water and then ready when you can pull one of the outer leaves off easily. Dunk the ends into the melted butter with garlic (from the garden) and then the best part, the choke. We think they are worth growing and having seen them in a supermarket for £1.50 each for small ones, again worth the money. But then many folk just don't like them. You can buy plants from nurseries but check they are the edible variety. Have a go.

• Like Like x 1
            • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Gardener

Ratings:
              +707
              We bought a variety pack of x6 of each “purple globe” and “green globe” plugs Apr21, only x3 have survived. However I’d say it was more to do with our poor choice (limited) of position and preparation. I moved our only survivor (other 2 went to family) 2022 and it shot away and produced nice chokes. Do you want them for show as plants, to eat or both? We’ve never let them go to flower here as we’ve had so few and love eating them. This was Jul22.

upload_2024-4-14_16-11-39.jpeg

Note, I'm sure I read somewhere the roots can be over 1m in length!

• Like Like x 3
              • Dovefromabove

Ratings:
                +1,464
              • Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
                Ratings:
                +843
                • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
                  +154
                  They like the Norfolk climate and soil. We grow a few down our allotment and a few at home but only for the bees. The ones down the allotment do better because they get more sun but the shaded ones in our garden also happily flower and reach a really large size, so you don't need optimum growing conditions. I grew some from seed but they are very vulnerable to slugs when small.

I protected the crowns from cold in winter when I first planted them but haven't bothered since then and they sail through winter. The advice I was given by the other folk who grew them is that once you plant them, you will never get rid of them.

Our local nursery sometimes sells them in the herb section and you can find 3 in a pot if you are lucky.

• Like Like x 2
                  • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +14,457
                    I planted a row 15 years ago...they're still going strong. Having decided to move offsets to a different position and get rid of the original plants, there was a swift change of plan when I actually tried to dig one up :biggrin: Be very sure of where you plant them. I've got several varieties and a lot of self-sowns but the best one is Camus de Bretagne. Big, round head with a good 'fond'.

• Informative Informative x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
                      Ratings:
                      +776
                      I think the vulnerable to slugs at a young age is probably right as that was my best guess as to why I failed to get them going from seed a few years back. Also got a more mature one from a discount section of a garden centre and while I got a few flowers a collision with something broke off the main stem and I think it was most likely one of the dogs we adopted took it out before it was properly established. Have seen them dong well by the coast in gardens with good drainage so have not tried them again as think the conditions in the garden here might not be warm or dry enough for them.

Happy gardening!

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +392
                        i have globe artichokes growing in my gritty quick draining soil for about 15 years. I cannot remember the variety but they are have been low maintenance, I try and give them some farmyard manure each year, remove dead leaves and keep them weed free.
                        They grow to about 6/8ft, I have never protected them during the winter and despite having a very windy garden I have never staked them..
                        I enjoy eating them, boiled, served with garlic butter. I always leave one of the last heads to flower for the bees who love them. They dive into the flowers head first, tails wagging with delight so I assume there must be a lot of nectar for them. I think my plants are probably Italian Purple, the leaves and heads are very spiny. I have pulled away side shoots, potted them up for a year and then given them to my daughter who now grows hers in a hot sunny, well fertilised bed where they also thrive.
                        Mine develop a thich central stem with a large head and side shoots which have slightly smaller heads, usually about 4-5 heads per plant.
                        I have never tried to dig any up so have no idea about roots, they do not seed themselves and are not invasive but when in full growth have quite a spread of leaves so give them plenty of space if you decide to try grow some.

• Informative Informative x 3
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Dovefromabove

Ratings:
                          +1,464