1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Best supplier of compost 2024

So glad I have my own compost and leaf mould ! Collecting the leaves in autumn can be a tad tedious but at least it’s free and the air miles are low ;) I do, of course, buy compost as well and have...
    So glad I have my own compost and leaf mould ! Collecting the leaves in autumn can be a tad tedious but at least it’s free and the air miles are low ;) I do, of course, buy compost as well and have found the garden centre “own use” pretty good but it’s not cheap. My thinking being that if they...
    So glad I have my own compost and leaf mould ! Collecting the leaves in autumn can be a tad tedious but at least it’s free and the air miles are low ;) I do, of course, buy compost as well and have found the garden centre “own use” pretty good but...
    So glad I have my own compost and leaf mould ! Collecting the leaves in autumn can be a tad tedious but at least it’s free and the air miles are low ;) I do, of course, buy compost as well and have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Steve R

Hot Composting - The Berkeley Method

Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 8

Instructions On Composting..

Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. Plantminded

Which compost would you use for sandy soil, growing grasses and perennials?

Thank you @pete and @infradig for your replies, much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl

Best Supplier Of Compost 2023

Link to new threadBest supplier of compost 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Alisa

Rat proofing composter

What scared me, is the advise that compost where rats lived should't be used for growing edibles that will be eaten raw. And I want to use compost for growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, spring...
    What scared me, is the advise that compost where rats lived should't be used for growing edibles that will be eaten raw. And I want to use compost for growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, spring onions, herbs, radishes etc. And if rats would eat away all my kitchen waste, there is no point of...
    What scared me, is the advise that compost where rats lived should't be used for growing edibles that will be eaten raw. And I want to use compost for growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, spring onions, herbs, radishes etc. And if rats would...
    What scared me, is the advise that compost where rats lived should't be used for growing edibles that will be eaten raw. And I want to use compost for growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, spring...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. mike

can i compost

Would probably make for ideal basket weaving strands!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. marjoriesseedling

Is the glue in cardboard boxes biodegradable?

My problem with cardboard is the material itself. If it's new, from virgin pulp, it's just wood fibre, but recycled cardboard, and at east 75% of it is here, contains all sorts of stuff; plastic...
    My problem with cardboard is the material itself. If it's new, from virgin pulp, it's just wood fibre, but recycled cardboard, and at east 75% of it is here, contains all sorts of stuff; plastic sticky tape, plastic from envelopes, packaging material such as polystyrene, polythene coated paper,...
    My problem with cardboard is the material itself. If it's new, from virgin pulp, it's just wood fibre, but recycled cardboard, and at east 75% of it is here, contains all sorts of stuff; plastic sticky tape, plastic from envelopes, packaging...
    My problem with cardboard is the material itself. If it's new, from virgin pulp, it's just wood fibre, but recycled cardboard, and at east 75% of it is here, contains all sorts of stuff; plastic...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Drahcir
    Informative x 3

Info: Growmore price.

Growmore (7-7-7 NPK general purpose fertiliser, various manufacturers):Locally (garden centres) £20 to £23 (10kg tub).Online, delivered, 25kg sack for £29.Worth looking around if (like me!)...
    Growmore (7-7-7 NPK general purpose fertiliser, various manufacturers):Locally (garden centres) £20 to £23 (10kg tub).Online, delivered, 25kg sack for £29.Worth looking around if (like me!) you're a bit of a skinflint.
    Growmore (7-7-7 NPK general purpose fertiliser, various manufacturers):Locally (garden centres) £20 to £23 (10kg tub).Online, delivered, 25kg sack for £29.Worth looking around if (like me!) you're a bit of a skinflint.
    Growmore (7-7-7 NPK general purpose fertiliser, various manufacturers):Locally (garden centres) £20 to £23 (10kg tub).Online, delivered, 25kg sack for £29.Worth looking around if (like me!)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Drahcir

General purpose (vegetable) fertiliser?

Comfrey is the best to make a liquid feed , it was bred as a high nutrition fodder crop and the leaves contain a high proportion of potassium, ideal for promoting flowers. Grass has some nitrogen...
    Comfrey is the best to make a liquid feed , it was bred as a high nutrition fodder crop and the leaves contain a high proportion of potassium, ideal for promoting flowers. Grass has some nitrogen and would probably make a sludge to do more harm than good.As Nigel says, nettles are an...
    Comfrey is the best to make a liquid feed , it was bred as a high nutrition fodder crop and the leaves contain a high proportion of potassium, ideal for promoting flowers. Grass has some nitrogen and would probably make a sludge to do more harm...
    Comfrey is the best to make a liquid feed , it was bred as a high nutrition fodder crop and the leaves contain a high proportion of potassium, ideal for promoting flowers. Grass has some nitrogen...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. dogsbody

Fuchsia feed

I always use Tomato feed with mine.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ricky101

Woodlice in Compost bins ?

Yes, they like spinach seedlings too
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. clanless

Base or slow release - what's going on?

Thanks for the info. :blue thumb: I've been throwing in a handful of granules to whatever compost is in the potting tray. Now I know the ratios, I'll start using the appropriate amounts.
    Thanks for the info. :blue thumb: I've been throwing in a handful of granules to whatever compost is in the potting tray. Now I know the ratios, I'll start using the appropriate amounts.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Esoxlucius

Woodburner ash.

fond memories of the wood stove, located in the basement. heated up the floors and walls of the house. a lovely quietness. The cement floor of the basement very forgiving to any coals fallen. ...
    fond memories of the wood stove, located in the basement. heated up the floors and walls of the house. a lovely quietness. The cement floor of the basement very forgiving to any coals fallen. A ugly stove, flat top, then a step up in the back. Front opening solid doors with two dials for...
    fond memories of the wood stove, located in the basement. heated up the floors and walls of the house. a lovely quietness. The cement floor of the basement very forgiving to any coals fallen. A ugly stove, flat top, then a step up in the...
    fond memories of the wood stove, located in the basement. heated up the floors and walls of the house. a lovely quietness. The cement floor of the basement very forgiving to any coals fallen. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. SusieD

Good deal or no?

Thanks, I'll do that. It's a mine field for sure but worth it to see everything in bloom
    Thanks, I'll do that. It's a mine field for sure but worth it to see everything in bloom
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. GaGa73

Making a compost bin out of treated timber

We made some bins about the same size as yours with a divider in the middle. On either end we made a section that we could just lift off as a whole piece to get at the compost easily, though you...
    We made some bins about the same size as yours with a divider in the middle. On either end we made a section that we could just lift off as a whole piece to get at the compost easily, though you could equally use individual slotted slats.Having two bins allows you to readily Turn the compost...
    We made some bins about the same size as yours with a divider in the middle. On either end we made a section that we could just lift off as a whole piece to get at the compost easily, though you could equally use individual slotted slats.Having...
    We made some bins about the same size as yours with a divider in the middle. On either end we made a section that we could just lift off as a whole piece to get at the compost easily, though you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. welshone

Leaf Mould - what to do now.

Definitely a good option. They'll stack up nice and high and keep the moisture in but it won't get worms etc in I don't think. I'm just digging in my leaf mould pile from a couple of years ago...
    Definitely a good option. They'll stack up nice and high and keep the moisture in but it won't get worms etc in I don't think. I'm just digging in my leaf mould pile from a couple of years ago before starting a new one. I have a spare wheelie bin too so might try it out
    Definitely a good option. They'll stack up nice and high and keep the moisture in but it won't get worms etc in I don't think. I'm just digging in my leaf mould pile from a couple of years ago before starting a new one. I have a spare wheelie bin...
    Definitely a good option. They'll stack up nice and high and keep the moisture in but it won't get worms etc in I don't think. I'm just digging in my leaf mould pile from a couple of years ago...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. The Buddleja Garden
    Informative x 8

Peat-free seed compost B&Q

This link below is worth a read, especially when the manufacture is 100% peat free. The author echo's many things that I have mentioned on the forum in the past, I did say the commercial sector...
    This link below is worth a read, especially when the manufacture is 100% peat free. The author echo's many things that I have mentioned on the forum in the past, I did say the commercial sector including myself would like to see the sales of "all purpose compost" & "multipurpose" banned by the...
    This link below is worth a read, especially when the manufacture is 100% peat free. The author echo's many things that I have mentioned on the forum in the past, I did say the commercial sector including myself would like to see the sales of "all...
    This link below is worth a read, especially when the manufacture is 100% peat free. The author echo's many things that I have mentioned on the forum in the past, I did say the commercial sector...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Danny Hughes

Lowering pH using citric acid

@Danny Hughes I would start off by measuring the pH of the soil the blueberries are in, to see if it needs to be lower. My soil is about pH 6.5 and a number of acid loving plants grow happily,...
    @Danny Hughes I would start off by measuring the pH of the soil the blueberries are in, to see if it needs to be lower. My soil is about pH 6.5 and a number of acid loving plants grow happily, these include camellias, rhododendrons and an ornamental blueberry. I mulch these with rotted pine...
    @Danny Hughes I would start off by measuring the pH of the soil the blueberries are in, to see if it needs to be lower. My soil is about pH 6.5 and a number of acid loving plants grow happily, these include camellias, rhododendrons and an...
    @Danny Hughes I would start off by measuring the pH of the soil the blueberries are in, to see if it needs to be lower. My soil is about pH 6.5 and a number of acid loving plants grow happily,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. zebrina

home compost query

Brandlings normally do not come up unless the heap is saturated(They need air!) Suggest you cover the bin, old carpet is good, check that drainage is available and perhaps 'harvest' worms by...
    Brandlings normally do not come up unless the heap is saturated(They need air!) Suggest you cover the bin, old carpet is good, check that drainage is available and perhaps 'harvest' worms by putting in a pot of moist compost that has no bottom upon the top of the deposit. Cover this also (they...
    Brandlings normally do not come up unless the heap is saturated(They need air!) Suggest you cover the bin, old carpet is good, check that drainage is available and perhaps 'harvest' worms by putting in a pot of moist compost that has no bottom...
    Brandlings normally do not come up unless the heap is saturated(They need air!) Suggest you cover the bin, old carpet is good, check that drainage is available and perhaps 'harvest' worms by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. JWK

Best Supplier Of Compost 2022

Looks good :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Esoxlucius

Ash from wood burners

I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love...
    I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love coming and watching. I sometimes had to use the hose on him to stop him getting too close. That...
    I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love coming and watching. I sometimes had to use the...
    I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Esoxlucius

Aquarium water as fertiliser

For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in...
    For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in summer and other large shrubs, but for fruits, veg and more expensive flowering plants we would stick to...
    For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in summer and other large shrubs, but for fruits, veg and...
    For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice