Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

Best Supplier Of Compost 2020

New Thread Here:-Best Supplier Of Compost 2021
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Steve R

Hot Composting - The Berkeley Method

Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 8

Instructions On Composting..

Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. Mike Allen

Slugs & Snails are waiting in the foyey for those young succulent green tips. What is your counter

Main effort to deal with slugs here is to encourage the wildlife that would make a meal out of them. Got a pond for frogs and found it also helps the birds that I have noticed seem to visit it...
    Main effort to deal with slugs here is to encourage the wildlife that would make a meal out of them. Got a pond for frogs and found it also helps the birds that I have noticed seem to visit it regularly. Usually see lots of potential feathered slug eaters about the garden now with lots of plants...
    Main effort to deal with slugs here is to encourage the wildlife that would make a meal out of them. Got a pond for frogs and found it also helps the birds that I have noticed seem to visit it regularly. Usually see lots of potential feathered...
    Main effort to deal with slugs here is to encourage the wildlife that would make a meal out of them. Got a pond for frogs and found it also helps the birds that I have noticed seem to visit it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. shiney

Best Supplier Of Compost 2021

I would rather you raise a glass, than tip your hat
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Pifco

Manufactured top soil.

Not guilty of the first M'Lud :biggrin: Infinitely prefer flying to sailing, though :)
    Not guilty of the first M'Lud :biggrin: Infinitely prefer flying to sailing, though :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. welshone

Composting Garden Leaves

I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in...
    I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in dumpy bags, drag them behind the fruit cage and forget for 12 to 24 months; after which the nice...
    I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in dumpy bags, drag them behind the fruit cage and...
    I have a number of Ash and Sycamore trees around me, ash leaves are not a problem, sycamore are another thing. I rake them up when the majority have fallen and are nice and wet and stick them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. pete

Ericaceous plant food

Thanks for that NigelJ
    Thanks for that NigelJ
    Thanks for that NigelJ
    Thanks for that NigelJ
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Lone Northern Lass
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ThePlantAssassin
    Friendly x 3

Soil Conditioning Advice please

Shame you're not close - I could at least have got bags of stuff out of the car for you! Any friendly neighbours you can bribe with a bottle of Beaujolais just to unload?
    Shame you're not close - I could at least have got bags of stuff out of the car for you! Any friendly neighbours you can bribe with a bottle of Beaujolais just to unload?
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ThePlantAssassin

Tomato feed quality

Morning @Aldo , thanks for your reply. Yes will do, not buying for this year so will add it to my “to-do list” come the dark months.Have a good weekend out there! Tink.
    Morning @Aldo , thanks for your reply. Yes will do, not buying for this year so will add it to my “to-do list” come the dark months.Have a good weekend out there! Tink.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Black Orchid

Richard Jackson's Flower Power Plant Food

Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. shrimp

When do you use john innes no 1

I was disappointed with my bag of J1. As mentioned it soon turns to rock like mud. I just use it now added to cacti compost for my cacti's, and to get shot of it. I've always had good results...
    I was disappointed with my bag of J1. As mentioned it soon turns to rock like mud. I just use it now added to cacti compost for my cacti's, and to get shot of it. I've always had good results with multi purpose compost for seedlings.
    I was disappointed with my bag of J1. As mentioned it soon turns to rock like mud. I just use it now added to cacti compost for my cacti's, and to get shot of it. I've always had good results with multi purpose compost for seedlings.
    I was disappointed with my bag of J1. As mentioned it soon turns to rock like mud. I just use it now added to cacti compost for my cacti's, and to get shot of it. I've always had good results...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. PhilC

Got my Potash & Magnesium sulphate mixed up!

@PhilC Thanks for the pictures. Like Pete I don't recognise either, certainly the Epsom salts I have used has been white crystals with a tendency to absorb water. Good news I remembered I had a...
    @PhilC Thanks for the pictures. Like Pete I don't recognise either, certainly the Epsom salts I have used has been white crystals with a tendency to absorb water. Good news I remembered I had a box of Miracle Gro Magnesium Salts in the shed so a quick scoot out and what I have is in a white bag...
    @PhilC Thanks for the pictures. Like Pete I don't recognise either, certainly the Epsom salts I have used has been white crystals with a tendency to absorb water. Good news I remembered I had a box of Miracle Gro Magnesium Salts in the shed so a...
    @PhilC Thanks for the pictures. Like Pete I don't recognise either, certainly the Epsom salts I have used has been white crystals with a tendency to absorb water. Good news I remembered I had a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PhilC

Homemade liquid fertiliser strength

I was told one part of the brew in ten of water. Safe enough however strong, And yes, a terrible pong, as I learnt the first time I made it in a bucket by the door.
    I was told one part of the brew in ten of water. Safe enough however strong, And yes, a terrible pong, as I learnt the first time I made it in a bucket by the door.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. rustyroots

Conifer cuttings as mulch.

We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though...
    We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though planted with acidic compost!?) Now similar plants thriving, being treated the same way. Have used shreder...
    We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though planted with acidic compost!?) Now similar plants...
    We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Upsydaisy

Smelly!!!!!l!

Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into...
    Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into bottles. God!! flies appeared from nowhere!!!Been out for a walk along our lane and have gathered more...
    Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into bottles. God!! flies appeared from nowhere!!!Been...
    Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. zebrina

home compost query

Makes sense, thanks.
    Makes sense, thanks.
    Makes sense, thanks.
    Makes sense, thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. borntobewild

Can I still use my compost?

It's ok iv no plans on using it :biggrin: I'm just a keen recycler. I keep saying I'm going to get an allotment but never do.I might have to limit how much sawdust I put in though
    It's ok iv no plans on using it :biggrin: I'm just a keen recycler. I keep saying I'm going to get an allotment but never do.I might have to limit how much sawdust I put in though
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. IanMacK

Gardena Blue & Green Fertiliser Discs

Hi @Jiffy - I meant that they dyed the tablets to indicate different contents - not the actual colour of the original fertiliser.
    Hi @Jiffy - I meant that they dyed the tablets to indicate different contents - not the actual colour of the original fertiliser.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. OJ102

Compost Heater

Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for...
    Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for convection to occure. Air seems to work very well, although it will be dependent on outside temperatures...
    Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for convection to occure. Air seems to work very well,...
    Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Arlandria

Sustainable Gardening

Ha, I like it. It's almost like they were made for the job... :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. reb999000

Hydrangea Lacking in Food??

See if you can give it some mulch too. Maintain the top of the soil moist as the tiny, fibrous hydrangea roots are usually somewhere in the top 10cms.
    See if you can give it some mulch too. Maintain the top of the soil moist as the tiny, fibrous hydrangea roots are usually somewhere in the top 10cms.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice