1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. JWK

Best Supplier Of Compost 2022

Looks good :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Esoxlucius

Ash from wood burners

I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love...
    I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love coming and watching. I sometimes had to use the hose on him to stop him getting too close. That...
    I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love coming and watching. I sometimes had to use the...
    I have them about once a month except when there are crops in the field or the wind is in the wrong direction. Always over 6ft high.Sarafi, the cat who died the other month, always used to love...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Esoxlucius

Aquarium water as fertiliser

For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in...
    For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in summer and other large shrubs, but for fruits, veg and more expensive flowering plants we would stick to...
    For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in summer and other large shrubs, but for fruits, veg and...
    For plants in the house we get good results with the standard bottle of Baby Bio, easy to use and a bottle last us a whole year.For your aquarium water, we would just use it on the lawn in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Madra

Compost Bays from Pallets

I don't think you can do much to stop the wood degrading, the fence paint is mainly a decorative product.Lining with polythene just traps moisture between the poly and the timber.I'd just be...
    I don't think you can do much to stop the wood degrading, the fence paint is mainly a decorative product.Lining with polythene just traps moisture between the poly and the timber.I'd just be prepared to replace in a few years when it gets passed its use by date.
    I don't think you can do much to stop the wood degrading, the fence paint is mainly a decorative product.Lining with polythene just traps moisture between the poly and the timber.I'd just be prepared to replace in a few years when it gets...
    I don't think you can do much to stop the wood degrading, the fence paint is mainly a decorative product.Lining with polythene just traps moisture between the poly and the timber.I'd just be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PhilC

Got my Potash & Magnesium sulphate mixed up!

Never said im quick lol
    Never said im quick lol
    Never said im quick lol
    Never said im quick lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mike Allen

Slugs & Snails are waiting in the foyey for those young succulent green tips. What is your counter

Few options that you can consider. The safest to use around the garden will be iron chelate as it won't burn plants.
    Few options that you can consider. The safest to use around the garden will be iron chelate as it won't burn plants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Glynne Williams

Fulvic acid

Fulvic and humic acids have slightly different characteristics. There are a heap of products around that contain these. I'm trying to avoid getting kicked off here so I'm not posting a link to a...
    Fulvic and humic acids have slightly different characteristics. There are a heap of products around that contain these. I'm trying to avoid getting kicked off here so I'm not posting a link to a blog I write but if you go to the website listed in my profile there is a heap on biostimulants which...
    Fulvic and humic acids have slightly different characteristics. There are a heap of products around that contain these. I'm trying to avoid getting kicked off here so I'm not posting a link to a blog I write but if you go to the website listed in...
    Fulvic and humic acids have slightly different characteristics. There are a heap of products around that contain these. I'm trying to avoid getting kicked off here so I'm not posting a link to a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. groundbeetle

"Apply to the base of the plant, avoiding the foliage"?

Blight spores require a damp surface to develop. Best to keep tomato foliage dry to reduce chance of infection. I personally have stopped feeding, to bring on ripening. I have found reduction in...
    Blight spores require a damp surface to develop. Best to keep tomato foliage dry to reduce chance of infection. I personally have stopped feeding, to bring on ripening. I have found reduction in watering at this time causes the fruit to become sweeter.
    Blight spores require a damp surface to develop. Best to keep tomato foliage dry to reduce chance of infection. I personally have stopped feeding, to bring on ripening. I have found reduction in watering at this time causes the fruit to become...
    Blight spores require a damp surface to develop. Best to keep tomato foliage dry to reduce chance of infection. I personally have stopped feeding, to bring on ripening. I have found reduction in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Pifco

Peat free Compost problem

I saw a TV programme about The Broads. They were formed from peat being extracted back in the middle ages. They are now the biggest protected wetlands in the country with the highest proportion...
    I saw a TV programme about The Broads. They were formed from peat being extracted back in the middle ages. They are now the biggest protected wetlands in the country with the highest proportion of birdlife and a very wide proportion of rare insects.so there was some good done by extracting...
    I saw a TV programme about The Broads. They were formed from peat being extracted back in the middle ages. They are now the biggest protected wetlands in the country with the highest proportion of birdlife and a very wide proportion of rare...
    I saw a TV programme about The Broads. They were formed from peat being extracted back in the middle ages. They are now the biggest protected wetlands in the country with the highest proportion...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. mrtibbs

coconut coir

I got a large coir block and used it and found it performed ok but I can't get past the transport and processing side of it so don't feel it's viable for me Plenty of local compost makers around...
    I got a large coir block and used it and found it performed ok but I can't get past the transport and processing side of it so don't feel it's viable for me Plenty of local compost makers around the country for bulk soil improvers which is what I'll be ordering quite soon! I grew mustard green...
    I got a large coir block and used it and found it performed ok but I can't get past the transport and processing side of it so don't feel it's viable for me Plenty of local compost makers around the country for bulk soil improvers which is what...
    I got a large coir block and used it and found it performed ok but I can't get past the transport and processing side of it so don't feel it's viable for me Plenty of local compost makers around...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. jazzy
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. CostasK

Alternative to peat-free compost

In the old days gardeners usually made their own potting compost and each presumably had their own recipe. John Innes compost was created to come up with a standard formula and you can still buy...
    In the old days gardeners usually made their own potting compost and each presumably had their own recipe. John Innes compost was created to come up with a standard formula and you can still buy it today.It varies in texture often, but the nutrient levels should be correct depending on which...
    In the old days gardeners usually made their own potting compost and each presumably had their own recipe. John Innes compost was created to come up with a standard formula and you can still buy it today.It varies in texture often, but the...
    In the old days gardeners usually made their own potting compost and each presumably had their own recipe. John Innes compost was created to come up with a standard formula and you can still buy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. SteveE99

Experience of wormeries?

I've had good success with red rigglers in a sunken bucket in my beds. I just load em up with veg , spent coffee grinds, cardboard and away the go. They survive the winter as they are sunk low....
    I've had good success with red rigglers in a sunken bucket in my beds. I just load em up with veg , spent coffee grinds, cardboard and away the go. They survive the winter as they are sunk low. See comparison pot out of the beds. I clear them out once a year with a riddle and back they go.the...
    I've had good success with red rigglers in a sunken bucket in my beds. I just load em up with veg , spent coffee grinds, cardboard and away the go. They survive the winter as they are sunk low. See comparison pot out of the beds. I clear them out...
    I've had good success with red rigglers in a sunken bucket in my beds. I just load em up with veg , spent coffee grinds, cardboard and away the go. They survive the winter as they are sunk low....
    IMG_20220612_124727_hdr.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. groundbeetle

How to apply Sulphur Rose

I've had the same problem. I think it's because, I might be wrong, sulphur isn't soluble, so it's very finely ground to get it through a sprayer.You have to keep shaking it all the time to...
    I've had the same problem. I think it's because, I might be wrong, sulphur isn't soluble, so it's very finely ground to get it through a sprayer.You have to keep shaking it all the time to keep it in suspension, but it still tends to clog. Keeping the pressure high also helps.
    I've had the same problem. I think it's because, I might be wrong, sulphur isn't soluble, so it's very finely ground to get it through a sprayer.You have to keep shaking it all the time to keep it in suspension, but it still tends to clog....
    I've had the same problem. I think it's because, I might be wrong, sulphur isn't soluble, so it's very finely ground to get it through a sprayer.You have to keep shaking it all the time to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. northwoodgran

Can i put climbing nightshade in the council recycling bags ?

I would, its only plant matter and I dont think there are restrictions on plants you can put in the garden recycling, apart from maybe Knot weed. I assume we are referring to the specific garden...
    I would, its only plant matter and I dont think there are restrictions on plants you can put in the garden recycling, apart from maybe Knot weed. I assume we are referring to the specific garden recycling and not the general household stuff.Any poisons, if that is what you are concerned...
    I would, its only plant matter and I dont think there are restrictions on plants you can put in the garden recycling, apart from maybe Knot weed. I assume we are referring to the specific garden recycling and not the general household...
    I would, its only plant matter and I dont think there are restrictions on plants you can put in the garden recycling, apart from maybe Knot weed. I assume we are referring to the specific garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Billi

Nettle soup as fertiliser

Comfrey also makes a good fertilizer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Marley Farley

About John Innes Loam based Composts..

Agree with Pete can't seem real loam made from stacked turf only topsoil not the same thing
    Agree with Pete can't seem real loam made from stacked turf only topsoil not the same thing
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Glynne Williams

Yes ..... But ...... which is a good NON PEAT COMPOST?

I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and...
    I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and tiny, so presumably if they are shipped as compressed blocks they are reasonably economical and...
    I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and tiny, so presumably if they are shipped as compressed...
    I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JonS

Strulch - anyone else used it?

Also take in to account that the 12 bag deal is a delivered price. It looks like the larger bags are only available online from source with stockists only selling the smaller bags for retail.
    Also take in to account that the 12 bag deal is a delivered price. It looks like the larger bags are only available online from source with stockists only selling the smaller bags for retail.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. tdubya

Drowning soil to kill weed seeds?

The bells are the green ones yet to show their little heads. Grape Hyacinth have come up well this year.
    The bells are the green ones yet to show their little heads. Grape Hyacinth have come up well this year.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice