1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. ThePlantAssassin
    Friendly x 3

Soil Conditioning Advice please

Shame you're not close - I could at least have got bags of stuff out of the car for you! Any friendly neighbours you can bribe with a bottle of Beaujolais just to unload?
    Shame you're not close - I could at least have got bags of stuff out of the car for you! Any friendly neighbours you can bribe with a bottle of Beaujolais just to unload?
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ThePlantAssassin

Tomato feed quality

Morning @Aldo , thanks for your reply. Yes will do, not buying for this year so will add it to my “to-do list” come the dark months.Have a good weekend out there! Tink.
    Morning @Aldo , thanks for your reply. Yes will do, not buying for this year so will add it to my “to-do list” come the dark months.Have a good weekend out there! Tink.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Black Orchid

Richard Jackson's Flower Power Plant Food

Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. PhilC

Homemade liquid fertiliser strength

I was told one part of the brew in ten of water. Safe enough however strong, And yes, a terrible pong, as I learnt the first time I made it in a bucket by the door.
    I was told one part of the brew in ten of water. Safe enough however strong, And yes, a terrible pong, as I learnt the first time I made it in a bucket by the door.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. rustyroots

Conifer cuttings as mulch.

We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though...
    We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though planted with acidic compost!?) Now similar plants thriving, being treated the same way. Have used shreder...
    We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though planted with acidic compost!?) Now similar plants...
    We have coniferous material because that's what's growing here - I planted it! First to live here over 40 years ago so if soil was slightly alkaline (original rhododendrons dies even though...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Upsydaisy

Smelly!!!!!l!

Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into...
    Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into bottles. God!! flies appeared from nowhere!!!Been out for a walk along our lane and have gathered more...
    Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into bottles. God!! flies appeared from nowhere!!!Been...
    Awwwww!!l!......never ever @shiney !!!We.....( Well hubs actually as he hasn't any sense of smell, which in this case is very fortunate!!) have just strained it off and decantered it into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. borntobewild

Can I still use my compost?

It's ok iv no plans on using it :biggrin: I'm just a keen recycler. I keep saying I'm going to get an allotment but never do.I might have to limit how much sawdust I put in though
    It's ok iv no plans on using it :biggrin: I'm just a keen recycler. I keep saying I'm going to get an allotment but never do.I might have to limit how much sawdust I put in though
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. IanMacK

Gardena Blue & Green Fertiliser Discs

Hi @Jiffy - I meant that they dyed the tablets to indicate different contents - not the actual colour of the original fertiliser.
    Hi @Jiffy - I meant that they dyed the tablets to indicate different contents - not the actual colour of the original fertiliser.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. OJ102

Compost Heater

Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for...
    Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for convection to occure. Air seems to work very well, although it will be dependent on outside temperatures...
    Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for convection to occure. Air seems to work very well,...
    Water was my original idea too but thermodynamically water takes a lot more heat to warm up, as we know from the power requirements from a kettle! I suspected water wouldnt heat up enough for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Arlandria

Sustainable Gardening

Ha, I like it. It's almost like they were made for the job... :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. reb999000

Hydrangea Lacking in Food??

See if you can give it some mulch too. Maintain the top of the soil moist as the tiny, fibrous hydrangea roots are usually somewhere in the top 10cms.
    See if you can give it some mulch too. Maintain the top of the soil moist as the tiny, fibrous hydrangea roots are usually somewhere in the top 10cms.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. mint

Chicken manure pellets as Liquid feed

Yes, put their efforts into leaf, not flowers. I use tomato fertilizer for flowers and soluble high nitrogen stuff (phostrogen, miracle grow, etc.,) for leafy stuff like lettuce to avoid bits of...
    Yes, put their efforts into leaf, not flowers. I use tomato fertilizer for flowers and soluble high nitrogen stuff (phostrogen, miracle grow, etc.,) for leafy stuff like lettuce to avoid bits of chicken poo pellets getting stuck between the leaves.
    Yes, put their efforts into leaf, not flowers. I use tomato fertilizer for flowers and soluble high nitrogen stuff (phostrogen, miracle grow, etc.,) for leafy stuff like lettuce to avoid bits of chicken poo pellets getting stuck between the leaves.
    Yes, put their efforts into leaf, not flowers. I use tomato fertilizer for flowers and soluble high nitrogen stuff (phostrogen, miracle grow, etc.,) for leafy stuff like lettuce to avoid bits of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Karl B

Bluebells

If it's just leaves then fine, but if they have seed heads attached no - unless you want them sprouting everywhere when you eventually use the compost.
    If it's just leaves then fine, but if they have seed heads attached no - unless you want them sprouting everywhere when you eventually use the compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. pooky2483

Putting nutrients back into Multi-Purpose Compost

The reason I asked was that when we eventually get the garden sorted... Slabbed and a shed & greenhouse & small raised bed for the OH, we wont have access to soil. So it looks like I will have to...
    The reason I asked was that when we eventually get the garden sorted... Slabbed and a shed & greenhouse & small raised bed for the OH, we wont have access to soil. So it looks like I will have to buy some soil from somewhere to replace the MPC.Thanks to you all for your advice and I only...
    The reason I asked was that when we eventually get the garden sorted... Slabbed and a shed & greenhouse & small raised bed for the OH, we wont have access to soil. So it looks like I will have to buy some soil from somewhere to replace the...
    The reason I asked was that when we eventually get the garden sorted... Slabbed and a shed & greenhouse & small raised bed for the OH, we wont have access to soil. So it looks like I will have to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TKM

What's this is in the compost?

Ok thank you. Nick also mentioned this above, so think we're ok. Again, I've realised that it's actually top soil that we need as trying to resurrect our flower bed area, which isn't seeing much...
    Ok thank you. Nick also mentioned this above, so think we're ok. Again, I've realised that it's actually top soil that we need as trying to resurrect our flower bed area, which isn't seeing much growth, so will probably change the brand anyway. Cheers
    Ok thank you. Nick also mentioned this above, so think we're ok. Again, I've realised that it's actually top soil that we need as trying to resurrect our flower bed area, which isn't seeing much growth, so will probably change the brand anyway....
    Ok thank you. Nick also mentioned this above, so think we're ok. Again, I've realised that it's actually top soil that we need as trying to resurrect our flower bed area, which isn't seeing much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. jon car

Rhododendron - Has John Innes #2 caused Yellow leaves

Great ideas, think firstly I'll get this chelated/ Sequestrene iron...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Scotty2088

Small composter

Well, this is that last open Compost Heap I had, after having several of them in different places in the garden. It had quite a big footpring as it was 6' x 8' and, sometimes, up to 8'...
    Well, this is that last open Compost Heap I had, after having several of them in different places in the garden. It had quite a big footpring as it was 6' x 8' and, sometimes, up to 8' high.But I decided to tidy up the Patio area in late 2018 and after having the Patio pavered laid I put...
    Well, this is that last open Compost Heap I had, after having several of them in different places in the garden. It had quite a big footpring as it was 6' x 8' and, sometimes, up to 8' high.But I decided to tidy up the Patio area in late...
    Well, this is that last open Compost Heap I had, after having several of them in different places in the garden. It had quite a big footpring as it was 6' x 8' and, sometimes, up to 8'...
    upload_2020-3-25_21-13-17.png upload_2020-3-25_21-14-8.png upload_2020-3-25_21-15-20.png upload_2020-3-25_21-23-26.png upload_2020-3-25_21-23-58.png upload_2020-3-25_21-24-24.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. moonraker

Epson salt/ Lime And shorts and "T" shirt.

Ive been getting the borders of my garden sorted today as i do about this time of the year and ive noticed the once mostly clay soil has over the past couple of years turned into a very nice...
    Ive been getting the borders of my garden sorted today as i do about this time of the year and ive noticed the once mostly clay soil has over the past couple of years turned into a very nice darker mix, Ive ensured i use powdered Lime every year this increases the PH and helps in breaking down...
    Ive been getting the borders of my garden sorted today as i do about this time of the year and ive noticed the once mostly clay soil has over the past couple of years turned into a very nice darker mix, Ive ensured i use powdered Lime every year...
    Ive been getting the borders of my garden sorted today as i do about this time of the year and ive noticed the once mostly clay soil has over the past couple of years turned into a very nice...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Allett man

Smelly growmore

There are 2 sorts, compound and a blend, compound will be white-ish to grey, the blend will be 3 products mixed together, compound will be 3 products made into each pill or granules
    There are 2 sorts, compound and a blend, compound will be white-ish to grey, the blend will be 3 products mixed together, compound will be 3 products made into each pill or granules
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Cuttings
    Informative x 6

Compost in general

Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't...
    Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't store that amount and could not move it because of my physical situation - too old to do much at a...
    Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't store that amount and could not move it because...
    Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't...
    P1330449.JPG P1330450.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice