1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Cuttings
    Informative x 6

Compost in general

Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't...
    Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't store that amount and could not move it because of my physical situation - too old to do much at a...
    Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't store that amount and could not move it because...
    Thanks.My situation is slightly different as there is no way that I could have a pallet delivered. The compost that I use is over a period of time - as I'm potting up and repotting. I couldn't...
    P1330449.JPG P1330450.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. shiney
    Like x 3

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST 2019

New thread here: Best Supplier Of Compost 2020
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. potash

Multipurpose compost

Yes, because Wickes delivery is the best available. The results are just fine, and as Wickes has other bulky stuff such as rotted manure and grit it's the best I can get being a non-driver. Good...
    Yes, because Wickes delivery is the best available. The results are just fine, and as Wickes has other bulky stuff such as rotted manure and grit it's the best I can get being a non-driver. Good deals and delivered conveniently.The best compost online was from Amazon, 80l sack of earthy stuff...
    Yes, because Wickes delivery is the best available. The results are just fine, and as Wickes has other bulky stuff such as rotted manure and grit it's the best I can get being a non-driver. Good deals and delivered conveniently.The best...
    Yes, because Wickes delivery is the best available. The results are just fine, and as Wickes has other bulky stuff such as rotted manure and grit it's the best I can get being a non-driver. Good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Green Glass Goblin

Bonemeal brands

Thanks to everybody. Bonemeal as you say is bonemeal. Madeva few enahiries and bought 35kg of Elixir brand. Got 10% off. It's Thomas Elliot make bagged as house brand. It appears Thomas Elliot...
    Thanks to everybody. Bonemeal as you say is bonemeal. Madeva few enahiries and bought 35kg of Elixir brand. Got 10% off. It's Thomas Elliot make bagged as house brand. It appears Thomas Elliot supply a lot of "own brands" Thanks again
    Thanks to everybody. Bonemeal as you say is bonemeal. Madeva few enahiries and bought 35kg of Elixir brand. Got 10% off. It's Thomas Elliot make bagged as house brand. It appears Thomas Elliot supply a lot of "own brands" Thanks again
    Thanks to everybody. Bonemeal as you say is bonemeal. Madeva few enahiries and bought 35kg of Elixir brand. Got 10% off. It's Thomas Elliot make bagged as house brand. It appears Thomas Elliot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wolfie

How do you add compost/soil-improver to already planted beds?

Well, if they're good strong plants, you could plant them now, or plant them in the pot into the area you've chosen, that leave you the option of taking them out while in the pot should they not...
    Well, if they're good strong plants, you could plant them now, or plant them in the pot into the area you've chosen, that leave you the option of taking them out while in the pot should they not like it where you've planted them.You have probably gathered by now, wolfie, that I am loathe to...
    Well, if they're good strong plants, you could plant them now, or plant them in the pot into the area you've chosen, that leave you the option of taking them out while in the pot should they not like it where you've planted them.You have...
    Well, if they're good strong plants, you could plant them now, or plant them in the pot into the area you've chosen, that leave you the option of taking them out while in the pot should they not...
    upload_2019-9-11_19-17-3.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Eden1

Newbie Composting - No heat in my heap

I add cardboard, newspaper, even paper bills/statements.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. luciusmaximus

Compost bin layers

My compost heaps have been in places where they are out of general view (mine and the neighbours) and I'm unlikely to want or be able to grow much. So down the bottom against a couple of privet...
    My compost heaps have been in places where they are out of general view (mine and the neighbours) and I'm unlikely to want or be able to grow much. So down the bottom against a couple of privet hedges, between two sheds against the neighbours fence and currently at the top of the garden, under a...
    My compost heaps have been in places where they are out of general view (mine and the neighbours) and I'm unlikely to want or be able to grow much. So down the bottom against a couple of privet hedges, between two sheds against the neighbours...
    My compost heaps have been in places where they are out of general view (mine and the neighbours) and I'm unlikely to want or be able to grow much. So down the bottom against a couple of privet...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Isab

Can I use this soil ? Help please.

Thanks, Ricky101. It was supposed to be multipurpose compost, but it has way too much wood chip in it. I was considering mixing it with new compost but I think you are right. Will keep it as topsoil.
    Thanks, Ricky101. It was supposed to be multipurpose compost, but it has way too much wood chip in it. I was considering mixing it with new compost but I think you are right. Will keep it as topsoil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. robbo

John innes number 3

Yes, perfectly fine robbo :) Your plants will love it
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. reb999000

Fertiliser for Marguerite Daisies??

Living in a hot country where they are common, I think they need a little water and no feed whatsoever.
    Living in a hot country where they are common, I think they need a little water and no feed whatsoever.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. fumanchu

no dig fertiliser?

I just chuck the dried stuff onto the surface and assume the rain will wash it into the ground. Seems to work.
    I just chuck the dried stuff onto the surface and assume the rain will wash it into the ground. Seems to work.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ChilliPepper

Is there an affordable medium for growing salad leaves, orientals etc?

Mine neither at the moment. I did get a healthy looking root of Iris siberica 'Lavender' and a big packet of licquorice torpedos though!
    Mine neither at the moment. I did get a healthy looking root of Iris siberica 'Lavender' and a big packet of licquorice torpedos though!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ElaineTP

Speeding up leaf composting?

Thanks John & Mike
    Thanks John & Mike
    Thanks John & Mike
    Thanks John & Mike
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Phil A
    Like x 8

Making Leaf Mould

:spinning:Lots of leaves to collect, my front is a ....
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mike77

Composting Laburnum

I'll be rich.
    I'll be rich.
    I'll be rich.
    I'll be rich.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. andrews

GW / Gove Plant Pot Crusade

The breasts weighed 11oz each so each one was plenty for two when done with loads of veg etc.
    The breasts weighed 11oz each so each one was plenty for two when done with loads of veg etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ARMANDII

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST 2018

Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders...
    Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders every year and it take time for it to work it's way down into the soil even with digging. Nature...
    Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders every year and it take time for it to work it's...
    Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Mike Allen

Monty Don's garden.

I recently read Monty's book about Nigel the dog, which also gives quite a few details about the filming - yes Monty's garden and even his house has been designed or at least developed to...
    I recently read Monty's book about Nigel the dog, which also gives quite a few details about the filming - yes Monty's garden and even his house has been designed or at least developed to accommodate this, with a room/outside area which can be used to accommodate the film crew and keep them...
    I recently read Monty's book about Nigel the dog, which also gives quite a few details about the filming - yes Monty's garden and even his house has been designed or at least developed to accommodate this, with a room/outside area which can be...
    I recently read Monty's book about Nigel the dog, which also gives quite a few details about the filming - yes Monty's garden and even his house has been designed or at least developed to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Richard O'Brien

Rats in Compost

Hi @Richard O'Brien and Welcome to GC, I am not sure if standing on slabs would be good as it would maybe inhibit drainage of all the juices of compost that normally go into the soil.. Maybe...
    Hi @Richard O'Brien and Welcome to GC, I am not sure if standing on slabs would be good as it would maybe inhibit drainage of all the juices of compost that normally go into the soil.. Maybe someone else will have a better idea than me.. I used to have that problem and so I now wash eggshells...
    Hi @Richard O'Brien and Welcome to GC, I am not sure if standing on slabs would be good as it would maybe inhibit drainage of all the juices of compost that normally go into the soil.. Maybe someone else will have a better idea than me.. I used...
    Hi @Richard O'Brien and Welcome to GC, I am not sure if standing on slabs would be good as it would maybe inhibit drainage of all the juices of compost that normally go into the soil.. Maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. kyleleonard

My Leaf Mould

I have massive deciduous trees and therefore it is no surprise that I have huge quantities of leaves which I collect and keep in enormous piles. Unless you are in a huge hurry there is no need at...
    I have massive deciduous trees and therefore it is no surprise that I have huge quantities of leaves which I collect and keep in enormous piles. Unless you are in a huge hurry there is no need at all the turn the heaps. I'd almost need a JCB to turn mine:). Leave the heaps uncovered or get the...
    I have massive deciduous trees and therefore it is no surprise that I have huge quantities of leaves which I collect and keep in enormous piles. Unless you are in a huge hurry there is no need at all the turn the heaps. I'd almost need a JCB to...
    I have massive deciduous trees and therefore it is no surprise that I have huge quantities of leaves which I collect and keep in enormous piles. Unless you are in a huge hurry there is no need at...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice