1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Stingo

Chicken pellets

Well Went to buy some today from Focus and apparantly they are not selling them now because of bird flu!! I will have to try a few more places.
    Well Went to buy some today from Focus and apparantly they are not selling them now because of bird flu!! I will have to try a few more places.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Angelica

Compost question

Ohhh! don't bin it, sieve it! You'll get all the root out in one go and even if tiny pieces do get through they are easily dealt with if you let it rest a few weeks then re-sieve before putting on...
    Ohhh! don't bin it, sieve it! You'll get all the root out in one go and even if tiny pieces do get through they are easily dealt with if you let it rest a few weeks then re-sieve before putting on your garden. I always sieve compost and don't get any problems.
    Ohhh! don't bin it, sieve it! You'll get all the root out in one go and even if tiny pieces do get through they are easily dealt with if you let it rest a few weeks then re-sieve before putting on your garden. I always sieve compost and don't get...
    Ohhh! don't bin it, sieve it! You'll get all the root out in one go and even if tiny pieces do get through they are easily dealt with if you let it rest a few weeks then re-sieve before putting on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wishaw

When is fertilizer too much?

I didn't know all this stuff! Thanks guys!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Flora Poste

compost bin and it's refusal to make compost...help please!

Thanks so much everybody - you have covered the subject more thoroughly than the no doubt aptly named banana man has covered his compost. I'm very grateful! x
    Thanks so much everybody - you have covered the subject more thoroughly than the no doubt aptly named banana man has covered his compost. I'm very grateful! x
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. sawfish

fresh comfrey as compost??

Nicky's nursery http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/wild-c.htm Chiltern seeds do russian Comfrey, not sure what the difference is. There are lots of green manures [I expect you know]: ...
    Nicky's nursery http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/wild-c.htm Chiltern seeds do russian Comfrey, not sure what the difference is. There are lots of green manures [I expect you know]: http://www.kitchengardens.dial.pipex.com/greenmanure.htm
    Nicky's nursery http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/wild-c.htm Chiltern seeds do russian Comfrey, not sure what the difference is. There are lots of green manures [I expect you know]: ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. mowgley

Cheap compost bins!!

I had two from my council when i phoned up to buy one i asked how large they were because one size was �£4 and the other �£6..so the lady on the phone said the �£6 was 39 inches..so as i...
    I had two from my council when i phoned up to buy one i asked how large they were because one size was �£4 and the other �£6..so the lady on the phone said the �£6 was 39 inches..so as i thought thats small..i asked for two..well when they arrived they were huge i dont know where she got...
    I had two from my council when i phoned up to buy one i asked how large they were because one size was �£4 and the other �£6..so the lady on the phone said the �£6 was 39 inches..so as i thought thats small..i asked for two..well when they...
    I had two from my council when i phoned up to buy one i asked how large they were because one size was �£4 and the other �£6..so the lady on the phone said the �£6 was 39 inches..so as i...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. sharon

Compost Success at Last

Forget the waste disposal Sharon! Get the stuff in the compost bins. Why throw it away when you can use it to make things grow better? ;)We've two bins and two heaps and really get a kick out...
    Forget the waste disposal Sharon! Get the stuff in the compost bins. Why throw it away when you can use it to make things grow better? ;)We've two bins and two heaps and really get a kick out of what we return to the soil.Get an even bigger kick out of what we take out of it though. :D
    Forget the waste disposal Sharon! Get the stuff in the compost bins. Why throw it away when you can use it to make things grow better? ;)We've two bins and two heaps and really get a kick out of what we return to the soil.Get an even bigger...
    Forget the waste disposal Sharon! Get the stuff in the compost bins. Why throw it away when you can use it to make things grow better? ;)We've two bins and two heaps and really get a kick out...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Stingo

Pastichio nut shells-compost-mulching

Happily chomping on pastiscio nuts this evening together with some wine! And just wondered whether the shells could be composted or whether they would best be used for a mulch?Stingo ;)
    Happily chomping on pastiscio nuts this evening together with some wine! And just wondered whether the shells could be composted or whether they would best be used for a mulch?Stingo ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wishaw

Scandal Compost?

Interesting looking at the UK's waste disposal statistics. (See Wasteonline)Of what we throw away - Garden waste = 21%. But if you add kitchen waste and "soil etc" it adds up to 41%. If some of...
    Interesting looking at the UK's waste disposal statistics. (See Wasteonline)Of what we throw away - Garden waste = 21%. But if you add kitchen waste and "soil etc" it adds up to 41%. If some of the 18% "paper and board" (paper is organic) is added we could be nearer 50% of household waste...
    Interesting looking at the UK's waste disposal statistics. (See Wasteonline)Of what we throw away - Garden waste = 21%. But if you add kitchen waste and "soil etc" it adds up to 41%. If some of the 18% "paper and board" (paper is organic) is...
    Interesting looking at the UK's waste disposal statistics. (See Wasteonline)Of what we throw away - Garden waste = 21%. But if you add kitchen waste and "soil etc" it adds up to 41%. If some of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Flora Poste

mushroom compost or similar

If you can find a local mushroom farm you could buy direct..our local mushroom farm even delivers.Commercial farms usually get about 3 flushes of mushrooms from the compost.. then they have to...
    If you can find a local mushroom farm you could buy direct..our local mushroom farm even delivers.Commercial farms usually get about 3 flushes of mushrooms from the compost.. then they have to start over..thats a lot of compost to get rid of ;)
    If you can find a local mushroom farm you could buy direct..our local mushroom farm even delivers.Commercial farms usually get about 3 flushes of mushrooms from the compost.. then they have to start over..thats a lot of compost to get rid of ;)
    If you can find a local mushroom farm you could buy direct..our local mushroom farm even delivers.Commercial farms usually get about 3 flushes of mushrooms from the compost.. then they have to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Stingo

Comfrey for compost?

I dilute mine about 1part comfrey to 5 pts water. As there are lots of plants round here I can keep my container topped up, adding a few leaves every few days in the growing season and sqashing...
    I dilute mine about 1part comfrey to 5 pts water. As there are lots of plants round here I can keep my container topped up, adding a few leaves every few days in the growing season and sqashing them down, so there is a continuous supply. I suppose it wouln't go far if you had a big garden. I...
    I dilute mine about 1part comfrey to 5 pts water. As there are lots of plants round here I can keep my container topped up, adding a few leaves every few days in the growing season and sqashing them down, so there is a continuous supply. I...
    I dilute mine about 1part comfrey to 5 pts water. As there are lots of plants round here I can keep my container topped up, adding a few leaves every few days in the growing season and sqashing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Stingo

Unused bought compost

Many thanks Peter
    Many thanks Peter
    Many thanks Peter
    Many thanks Peter
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Lenton Rose

Feeding

Current regulations say that all chemical fertilisers must display an N:P:K ratio on the packet. For instance Miracle Grow has an N:P:K of 15:30:15. That means it is 15% N (=Nitrogen for foliage...
    Current regulations say that all chemical fertilisers must display an N:P:K ratio on the packet. For instance Miracle Grow has an N:P:K of 15:30:15. That means it is 15% N (=Nitrogen for foliage growth), 30% P (=Phosphorous for root growth) and 15% K (=Potassium for fruit and flowers)....
    Current regulations say that all chemical fertilisers must display an N:P:K ratio on the packet. For instance Miracle Grow has an N:P:K of 15:30:15. That means it is 15% N (=Nitrogen for foliage growth), 30% P (=Phosphorous for root growth) and...
    Current regulations say that all chemical fertilisers must display an N:P:K ratio on the packet. For instance Miracle Grow has an N:P:K of 15:30:15. That means it is 15% N (=Nitrogen for foliage...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. annaj
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. gearbox22

a thankyou note and about compost

the propagation bloke at the Botanics in Edinburgh reckoned you could propagate anything in that, so long as you mad sure of the water and nutrient content
    the propagation bloke at the Botanics in Edinburgh reckoned you could propagate anything in that, so long as you mad sure of the water and nutrient content
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. lazy-gardener
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. lazy-gardener

municipal compost horrors?

Slave Drivers ;)
    Slave Drivers ;)
    Slave Drivers ;)
    Slave Drivers ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. mistys

compost

They must like pineapple Dave.....or are running away from it :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. pagh

Compost

it is well rotted
    it is well rotted
    it is well rotted
    it is well rotted
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Capercaillie

Leaf Mould

Magic how they appear - I used to put my leaves in black bin liners under shrubs etc and had the same thing. Either they find their way in somehow - cos the plastic does tend to split - or they...
    Magic how they appear - I used to put my leaves in black bin liners under shrubs etc and had the same thing. Either they find their way in somehow - cos the plastic does tend to split - or they were already present on the raked up leaves. Whatever they are very welcome. :D
    Magic how they appear - I used to put my leaves in black bin liners under shrubs etc and had the same thing. Either they find their way in somehow - cos the plastic does tend to split - or they were already present on the raked up leaves....
    Magic how they appear - I used to put my leaves in black bin liners under shrubs etc and had the same thing. Either they find their way in somehow - cos the plastic does tend to split - or they...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice