Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. sawfish

what to do with wood ash

another useful site for me, Frogesque!! It'll all help on my course!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. lazy-gardener

compost help

Better move to Scotland, Liz!! You'd get free bus travel for the entire country too, from 1/4/06!! :D :D
    Better move to Scotland, Liz!! You'd get free bus travel for the entire country too, from 1/4/06!! :D :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. DavieM

Organic or Chemical

Except, the point that overuse, of anything cannot in the long term be good, however, moderation and correct use of chemicals, like Fran mentions in a previous post, Slug Pellets Roundup etc, and...
    Except, the point that overuse, of anything cannot in the long term be good, however, moderation and correct use of chemicals, like Fran mentions in a previous post, Slug Pellets Roundup etc, and Yes some spays, I don't think is the big bad thing the TV organic mafia would have us believe. I do...
    Except, the point that overuse, of anything cannot in the long term be good, however, moderation and correct use of chemicals, like Fran mentions in a previous post, Slug Pellets Roundup etc, and Yes some spays, I don't think is the big bad thing...
    Except, the point that overuse, of anything cannot in the long term be good, however, moderation and correct use of chemicals, like Fran mentions in a previous post, Slug Pellets Roundup etc, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. marge

Using compost

you are quite right Marge, it would not do your basket plant any good. a good quality compost from your local nursery. also get some SWELL GEL to add to your basket compost as it retains moisture...
    you are quite right Marge, it would not do your basket plant any good. a good quality compost from your local nursery. also get some SWELL GEL to add to your basket compost as it retains moisture to save on watering, specially if we get a hose pipe ban, which seems to be inevitable..
    you are quite right Marge, it would not do your basket plant any good. a good quality compost from your local nursery. also get some SWELL GEL to add to your basket compost as it retains moisture to save on watering, specially if we get a hose...
    you are quite right Marge, it would not do your basket plant any good. a good quality compost from your local nursery. also get some SWELL GEL to add to your basket compost as it retains moisture...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. DAG

COMPOSTING CARDBOARD

we tried chopped up cardboard for horses bedding once..... it was ok but not ideal ... no dust was main quality,,,,, so there must be a shredder,,,,, and if you buy a new Bosch shredder for...
    we tried chopped up cardboard for horses bedding once..... it was ok but not ideal ... no dust was main quality,,,,, so there must be a shredder,,,,, and if you buy a new Bosch shredder for �£200 plus elecricity to run it, just think how much benefit the envirinment is getting!
    we tried chopped up cardboard for horses bedding once..... it was ok but not ideal ... no dust was main quality,,,,, so there must be a shredder,,,,, and if you buy a new Bosch shredder for �£200 plus elecricity to run it, just think how much...
    we tried chopped up cardboard for horses bedding once..... it was ok but not ideal ... no dust was main quality,,,,, so there must be a shredder,,,,, and if you buy a new Bosch shredder for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. steveb1973

chicken poo!!!!

we have a bottle cut---ra on the sink side which we use every time been in garden anti-bacterial hand hygiene gel kills 99.99of germs in 15 seconds sot got after read of young man dieing afer...
    we have a bottle cut---ra on the sink side which we use every time been in garden anti-bacterial hand hygiene gel kills 99.99of germs in 15 seconds sot got after read of young man dieing afer scratching his arm on a rose make grandkids use it alot.take into hospital alsowhen needto go
    we have a bottle cut---ra on the sink side which we use every time been in garden anti-bacterial hand hygiene gel kills 99.99of germs in 15 seconds sot got after read of young man dieing afer scratching his arm on a rose make grandkids use it...
    we have a bottle cut---ra on the sink side which we use every time been in garden anti-bacterial hand hygiene gel kills 99.99of germs in 15 seconds sot got after read of young man dieing afer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. David G

Horse Manure

Hi Hex. You've just reminded me that we had a Rabbit Club when I was at primary school in the late 40s early 50s. The "big" children got to look after them and us tots brought in food. We also had...
    Hi Hex. You've just reminded me that we had a Rabbit Club when I was at primary school in the late 40s early 50s. The "big" children got to look after them and us tots brought in food. We also had a school garden as did many Junior Secondary schools until about 25 years ago."Eco-Schools" is...
    Hi Hex. You've just reminded me that we had a Rabbit Club when I was at primary school in the late 40s early 50s. The "big" children got to look after them and us tots brought in food. We also had a school garden as did many Junior Secondary...
    Hi Hex. You've just reminded me that we had a Rabbit Club when I was at primary school in the late 40s early 50s. The "big" children got to look after them and us tots brought in food. We also had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sandypam

Seaweed

wrack is derived from bladder-wrack..... that kind of brown stuff clingin on to rocks mid-tide, which children love to "pop" if your feeling in need of some stimulating fodder try seaweed...
    wrack is derived from bladder-wrack..... that kind of brown stuff clingin on to rocks mid-tide, which children love to "pop" if your feeling in need of some stimulating fodder try seaweed soup! http://www.seaveg.co.uk/seasalad.html
    wrack is derived from bladder-wrack..... that kind of brown stuff clingin on to rocks mid-tide, which children love to "pop" if your feeling in need of some stimulating fodder try seaweed soup! http://www.seaveg.co.uk/seasalad.html
    wrack is derived from bladder-wrack..... that kind of brown stuff clingin on to rocks mid-tide, which children love to "pop" if your feeling in need of some stimulating fodder try seaweed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. David G

Compost Bin

Is pigeon droppings any good for my compost bin, I can get load of that??Dave
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. sawfish

Chicken manure

to conclude this thread, hopefully, fresh chicken manure is wet and smelly, and could harbour disease, they eat animal by-products and additives and antibiotics may be added to feeds ........imo...
    to conclude this thread, hopefully, fresh chicken manure is wet and smelly, and could harbour disease, they eat animal by-products and additives and antibiotics may be added to feeds ........imo the large volume of waste is best handled professionally ,,, dried and pelleted Pelleted is easy to...
    to conclude this thread, hopefully, fresh chicken manure is wet and smelly, and could harbour disease, they eat animal by-products and additives and antibiotics may be added to feeds ........imo the large volume of waste is best handled...
    to conclude this thread, hopefully, fresh chicken manure is wet and smelly, and could harbour disease, they eat animal by-products and additives and antibiotics may be added to feeds ........imo...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. tigglestiggles

Composting question

The website that I found most useful (and I got free compost bins) was www.compost-it.org.ukYou only get free compost bins if your council has signed up to it.
    The website that I found most useful (and I got free compost bins) was www.compost-it.org.ukYou only get free compost bins if your council has signed up to it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. kathryn

Compost bin

no worries there then...thanks alot all
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. badsal72

lime

That's ok, I have posted elsewhere on this site for help and it looks like I might be able to do it. Thanks for your help and info. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    That's ok, I have posted elsewhere on this site for help and it looks like I might be able to do it. Thanks for your help and info. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. bexonator

using a composter as a potato barrel

Great minds!!!! We have a spare composter too, which we got from our local council (�£3 also!!) and what did we do yesterday???? Saw some seed potatoes in the garden centre - and got a...
    Great minds!!!! We have a spare composter too, which we got from our local council (�£3 also!!) and what did we do yesterday???? Saw some seed potatoes in the garden centre - and got a few...... ;) can't wait..... mind you, I'll probably end up killing them!!!!
    Great minds!!!! We have a spare composter too, which we got from our local council (�£3 also!!) and what did we do yesterday???? Saw some seed potatoes in the garden centre - and got a few...... ;) can't wait..... mind you, I'll...
    Great minds!!!! We have a spare composter too, which we got from our local council (�£3 also!!) and what did we do yesterday???? Saw some seed potatoes in the garden centre - and got a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. warbaby

Growbags

Hi Warbaby, Purchasing young plants is a good idea, make sure you harden them off properly as the garden centres start selling them quite early very often. I am sure you will do well, if you...
    Hi Warbaby, Purchasing young plants is a good idea, make sure you harden them off properly as the garden centres start selling them quite early very often. I am sure you will do well, if you watched your husband in the garden I am sure you will suprise yourself with what you do remember when...
    Hi Warbaby, Purchasing young plants is a good idea, make sure you harden them off properly as the garden centres start selling them quite early very often. I am sure you will do well, if you watched your husband in the garden I am sure you will...
    Hi Warbaby, Purchasing young plants is a good idea, make sure you harden them off properly as the garden centres start selling them quite early very often. I am sure you will do well, if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. elkhorn

compost bin

My three compost bins are looking a bit cold here. I bought these very cheaply from the council when they were having a recycling drive two years ago. I wish I'd bought more now because they...
    My three compost bins are looking a bit cold here. I bought these very cheaply from the council when they were having a recycling drive two years ago. I wish I'd bought more now because they soon get full.
    My three compost bins are looking a bit cold here. I bought these very cheaply from the council when they were having a recycling drive two years ago. I wish I'd bought more now because they soon get full.
    My three compost bins are looking a bit cold here. I bought these very cheaply from the council when they were having a recycling drive two years ago. I wish I'd bought more now because they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Herb

Nutrients

Yeah, like wire worms and such! Ugh!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. redfifi1717

Best time to dig in manure?

I would agree - when I first started using compost and manure in the autumn/winter, I forked it in, then someone told me to save my blisters and let nature do the work. Bin doing it ever sine -...
    I would agree - when I first started using compost and manure in the autumn/winter, I forked it in, then someone told me to save my blisters and let nature do the work. Bin doing it ever sine - and it works fine.
    I would agree - when I first started using compost and manure in the autumn/winter, I forked it in, then someone told me to save my blisters and let nature do the work. Bin doing it ever sine - and it works fine.
    I would agree - when I first started using compost and manure in the autumn/winter, I forked it in, then someone told me to save my blisters and let nature do the work. Bin doing it ever sine -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. darren davidson-morris

composting

Ours was made out of pressure treated logs 10 years ago, had no problems. Go for it.
    Ours was made out of pressure treated logs 10 years ago, had no problems. Go for it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lady Gardener

compost worms on ebay

i bought a few ... 2oo approx brandling worms on eabay, but the instructions were rather esoteric......i believe they like fruit! they came in a margarine tub, not full! i ve kept them in a small...
    i bought a few ... 2oo approx brandling worms on eabay, but the instructions were rather esoteric......i believe they like fruit! they came in a margarine tub, not full! i ve kept them in a small plastic bin under the sink, to keep em warm and actively breeding, any idea when i ll be able to...
    i bought a few ... 2oo approx brandling worms on eabay, but the instructions were rather esoteric......i believe they like fruit! they came in a margarine tub, not full! i ve kept them in a small plastic bin under the sink, to keep em warm and...
    i bought a few ... 2oo approx brandling worms on eabay, but the instructions were rather esoteric......i believe they like fruit! they came in a margarine tub, not full! i ve kept them in a small...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice