1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. KevB

A mammoth task for a total novice!

I'm not sure what you mean with your next comment though. Do you mean that I shouldn't use too much screed because it will crack or that I shouldn't cut too much out of the slab because it will...
    I'm not sure what you mean with your next comment though. Do you mean that I shouldn't use too much screed because it will crack or that I shouldn't cut too much out of the slab because it will crack? Cheers!If you cut a piece out of a slab around the eye, and made good with screed over time...
    I'm not sure what you mean with your next comment though. Do you mean that I shouldn't use too much screed because it will crack or that I shouldn't cut too much out of the slab because it will crack? Cheers!If you cut a piece out of a slab...
    I'm not sure what you mean with your next comment though. Do you mean that I shouldn't use too much screed because it will crack or that I shouldn't cut too much out of the slab because it will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Vince
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. goosegog5555

Well , I'll go to the foot of our stairs !!!

There's two men round here that advertise as doing anything who charge £75 per day. They're quite popular and have been going for years. I've found them OK for odd jobs but they're useless at...
    There's two men round here that advertise as doing anything who charge £75 per day. They're quite popular and have been going for years. I've found them OK for odd jobs but they're useless at anything requiring skill. Whereas, the person I use for more skillful jobs charges £150 per day - but...
    There's two men round here that advertise as doing anything who charge £75 per day. They're quite popular and have been going for years. I've found them OK for odd jobs but they're useless at anything requiring skill. Whereas, the person I use...
    There's two men round here that advertise as doing anything who charge £75 per day. They're quite popular and have been going for years. I've found them OK for odd jobs but they're useless at...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Cyclingvet

Where to start

Sitting area now gone. Trellis gone. Clematis has been bedded in elsewhere temporarily & hopefully will survive. Sitting area going to be turning/parking area for car & wooden framework to...
    Sitting area now gone. Trellis gone. Clematis has been bedded in elsewhere temporarily & hopefully will survive. Sitting area going to be turning/parking area for car & wooden framework to train hopefully saved wisteria across driveway. New sitting area going to be on tarmac behind screening...
    Sitting area now gone. Trellis gone. Clematis has been bedded in elsewhere temporarily & hopefully will survive. Sitting area going to be turning/parking area for car & wooden framework to train hopefully saved wisteria across driveway. New...
    Sitting area now gone. Trellis gone. Clematis has been bedded in elsewhere temporarily & hopefully will survive. Sitting area going to be turning/parking area for car & wooden framework to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sezzy

Ideas for my back yard

That looks like Endcliffe park to me. Am I right?In any case, its a nice yard, and Sheffield's weather is plenty good enough for most stuff, especially in a sheltered spot.I think Jack is bang...
    That looks like Endcliffe park to me. Am I right?In any case, its a nice yard, and Sheffield's weather is plenty good enough for most stuff, especially in a sheltered spot.I think Jack is bang on with the container garden idea. Being a student, you no doubt have about 3 billion friends, so...
    That looks like Endcliffe park to me. Am I right?In any case, its a nice yard, and Sheffield's weather is plenty good enough for most stuff, especially in a sheltered spot.I think Jack is bang on with the container garden idea. Being a...
    That looks like Endcliffe park to me. Am I right?In any case, its a nice yard, and Sheffield's weather is plenty good enough for most stuff, especially in a sheltered spot.I think Jack is bang...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. caer urfa

Site Clearance

Ah, I see. These newfangled strategies eh? So, basically what we're saying is its exactly how my dad taught me to do it when I was little, which in turn is exactly how his dad taught him. As...
    Ah, I see. These newfangled strategies eh? So, basically what we're saying is its exactly how my dad taught me to do it when I was little, which in turn is exactly how his dad taught him. As opposed to just randomly digging and burying your own boots:loll:
    Ah, I see. These newfangled strategies eh? So, basically what we're saying is its exactly how my dad taught me to do it when I was little, which in turn is exactly how his dad taught him. As opposed to just randomly digging and burying your own boots:loll:
    Ah, I see. These newfangled strategies eh? So, basically what we're saying is its exactly how my dad taught me to do it when I was little, which in turn is exactly how his dad taught him. As...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Folly Mon
    Like x 6

Made a cold frame

I made a cold frame though I only had double glazing units for the glass lids quite heavy Solution, went to car scrappies and bought hatch back gas struts 2 for £1 :) now one finger lifts them up ...
    I made a cold frame though I only had double glazing units for the glass lids quite heavy Solution, went to car scrappies and bought hatch back gas struts 2 for £1 :) now one finger lifts them up Jack McHammocklashing
    I made a cold frame though I only had double glazing units for the glass lids quite heavy Solution, went to car scrappies and bought hatch back gas struts 2 for £1 :) now one finger lifts them up Jack McHammocklashing
    I made a cold frame though I only had double glazing units for the glass lids quite heavy Solution, went to car scrappies and bought hatch back gas struts 2 for £1 :) now one finger lifts them up ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. goosegog5555

Question please

My patio is tiny by comparison (30' x 20'). I did it in 2 stages - as I could afford it and used the cheapest concrete composite slabs (90p each at the time). Stage 2 was 5 years later. I had a...
    My patio is tiny by comparison (30' x 20'). I did it in 2 stages - as I could afford it and used the cheapest concrete composite slabs (90p each at the time). Stage 2 was 5 years later. I had a Grass "Patio" which converted to paving when I could afford it. The patio has been complete now...
    My patio is tiny by comparison (30' x 20'). I did it in 2 stages - as I could afford it and used the cheapest concrete composite slabs (90p each at the time). Stage 2 was 5 years later. I had a Grass "Patio" which converted to paving when I...
    My patio is tiny by comparison (30' x 20'). I did it in 2 stages - as I could afford it and used the cheapest concrete composite slabs (90p each at the time). Stage 2 was 5 years later. I had a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. snapshot26

Detached garage in garden setting

Nah, get your fret saw out and go for the full tropical effect.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Bob86

Laying garden gravel/chippies??

Somewhat late to this thread, but if the soil is very poor then you might consider a wildflower meadow type of planting. For the reason that, when grass growth is less vigorous due to low...
    Somewhat late to this thread, but if the soil is very poor then you might consider a wildflower meadow type of planting. For the reason that, when grass growth is less vigorous due to low fertility soil, a wider range of grassland flowers will be able to do well (since most species don't require...
    Somewhat late to this thread, but if the soil is very poor then you might consider a wildflower meadow type of planting. For the reason that, when grass growth is less vigorous due to low fertility soil, a wider range of grassland flowers will be...
    Somewhat late to this thread, but if the soil is very poor then you might consider a wildflower meadow type of planting. For the reason that, when grass growth is less vigorous due to low...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Franco50

Timber shed door swelling in winter

Same problem here,so I cut the door down and added an extra door stop strip to compensate when it shrank back in the warmer weather.
    Same problem here,so I cut the door down and added an extra door stop strip to compensate when it shrank back in the warmer weather.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bouncingnrg

What to fill raised beds with??

Make sure the riding stables know about Aminopyralid herbicide and are sure that they ahve not used it, is has not been used by any contractors who have sprayed their fields with selective...
    Make sure the riding stables know about Aminopyralid herbicide and are sure that they ahve not used it, is has not been used by any contractors who have sprayed their fields with selective weedkiller, and they know the provenance of any hay they have bought in and the pastures that that too came...
    Make sure the riding stables know about Aminopyralid herbicide and are sure that they ahve not used it, is has not been used by any contractors who have sprayed their fields with selective weedkiller, and they know the provenance of any hay they...
    Make sure the riding stables know about Aminopyralid herbicide and are sure that they ahve not used it, is has not been used by any contractors who have sprayed their fields with selective...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Folly Mon
    Like x 9

Decided to build a pagola

Arbour it is than CooL :cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. MattM

Radical solution needed

Wow and extended garden for FREE, How lucky can you be Use the extension for a small orchard, or If you wish can you cut down the trees and start a Garden of your choice I can not offer advice...
    Wow and extended garden for FREE, How lucky can you be Use the extension for a small orchard, or If you wish can you cut down the trees and start a Garden of your choice I can not offer advice as I am a beginner myself, but a pic or two and your intentions would be a help Maybe a grassed...
    Wow and extended garden for FREE, How lucky can you be Use the extension for a small orchard, or If you wish can you cut down the trees and start a Garden of your choice I can not offer advice as I am a beginner myself, but a pic or two and...
    Wow and extended garden for FREE, How lucky can you be Use the extension for a small orchard, or If you wish can you cut down the trees and start a Garden of your choice I can not offer advice...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. jpm

Raised beds

Hello, i completed some 6" beds last year, they were ok, but i have raised them this year to 12" to give me depth of soil.
    Hello, i completed some 6" beds last year, they were ok, but i have raised them this year to 12" to give me depth of soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. snapshot26

Fence paint - red or not?

I used a golden oak colour "own brand" bought from Wicks on the summer house and fence on one side of the garden with forest green on the other side. The golden oak fence is new but I don't think...
    I used a golden oak colour "own brand" bought from Wicks on the summer house and fence on one side of the garden with forest green on the other side. The golden oak fence is new but I don't think that the older green fence has long to go before it falls apart and needs replacing. . . .
    I used a golden oak colour "own brand" bought from Wicks on the summer house and fence on one side of the garden with forest green on the other side. The golden oak fence is new but I don't think that the older green fence has long to go before...
    I used a golden oak colour "own brand" bought from Wicks on the summer house and fence on one side of the garden with forest green on the other side. The golden oak fence is new but I don't think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. longk
    Like x 5

What exciting growing "projects" do you have on the go?

This is something I should have started 40 years ago :DOH:Never mind it will be my legacy to my grandkids. Mature plants are incredibly expensive in the nurseries, more than a new car :oYes...
    This is something I should have started 40 years ago :DOH:Never mind it will be my legacy to my grandkids. Mature plants are incredibly expensive in the nurseries, more than a new car :oYes I must do better. Reading the book about Niwaki I'm really impressed by the time and effort the...
    This is something I should have started 40 years ago :DOH:Never mind it will be my legacy to my grandkids. Mature plants are incredibly expensive in the nurseries, more than a new car :oYes I must do better. Reading the book about Niwaki...
    This is something I should have started 40 years ago :DOH:Never mind it will be my legacy to my grandkids. Mature plants are incredibly expensive in the nurseries, more than a new car :oYes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ningernang

Raised Beds

I'm very much a gardening novice, but I have a fairly high raised bed sitting on my patio... 45 cm deep. Works brilliantly, and easy to keep it tilled and to mix in nutrients.Had a fair bit of...
    I'm very much a gardening novice, but I have a fairly high raised bed sitting on my patio... 45 cm deep. Works brilliantly, and easy to keep it tilled and to mix in nutrients.Had a fair bit of success with a shallower raised bed on the patio too, only about 20cm of soil, but i did 'mound up'...
    I'm very much a gardening novice, but I have a fairly high raised bed sitting on my patio... 45 cm deep. Works brilliantly, and easy to keep it tilled and to mix in nutrients.Had a fair bit of success with a shallower raised bed on the patio...
    I'm very much a gardening novice, but I have a fairly high raised bed sitting on my patio... 45 cm deep. Works brilliantly, and easy to keep it tilled and to mix in nutrients.Had a fair bit of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Triffid

The exciting world of...

Ahh never thought of that - oh well too late, I found some wood to put on the bottom...Not sure if the dawg approves...
    Ahh never thought of that - oh well too late, I found some wood to put on the bottom...Not sure if the dawg approves...
    IMG_1306.jpg IMG_1314.JPG IMG_1308.JPG cold-frame2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. johnygrowall
    Like x 3

my work so far

Is that like a Hippopottinghouse then Zig?:cool:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice