1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. David E Peacock

New English Yew hedge - I am about to plant my potted Yew's (80/100cm ) do I trim to shape after p

Thanks Clare G and Loofah for the helpful comments which I am happy to take on board . . .
    Thanks Clare G and Loofah for the helpful comments which I am happy to take on board . . .
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Graham B

Raised beds for veg

It looks good Graham, nice and solid. :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Jack Snakes
    Like x 4

New House

I think trimming is allowed with permission but, unless the tree presents a danger or is diseased, it is unlikely to be felled. The parish guard their rurality (is that a word...?) fiercely....
    I think trimming is allowed with permission but, unless the tree presents a danger or is diseased, it is unlikely to be felled. The parish guard their rurality (is that a word...?) fiercely. Traditional agriculture methods are supported. I think I can fell the fir trees that are on the field...
    I think trimming is allowed with permission but, unless the tree presents a danger or is diseased, it is unlikely to be felled. The parish guard their rurality (is that a word...?) fiercely. Traditional agriculture methods are supported. I think...
    I think trimming is allowed with permission but, unless the tree presents a danger or is diseased, it is unlikely to be felled. The parish guard their rurality (is that a word...?) fiercely....
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Ianto

Concrete slabs as weed control?

I use a fair amount of membrane in my very large garden as have no desire to spend my whole life weeding:). I use approx 1 ft square bits of old carpet with a hole in the middle for growing...
    I use a fair amount of membrane in my very large garden as have no desire to spend my whole life weeding:). I use approx 1 ft square bits of old carpet with a hole in the middle for growing Cauliflower and Broccoli /Calebrese which solve the weed problem. As JWK says potatoes form a canopy and...
    I use a fair amount of membrane in my very large garden as have no desire to spend my whole life weeding:). I use approx 1 ft square bits of old carpet with a hole in the middle for growing Cauliflower and Broccoli /Calebrese which solve the weed...
    I use a fair amount of membrane in my very large garden as have no desire to spend my whole life weeding:). I use approx 1 ft square bits of old carpet with a hole in the middle for growing...
    spud bed.jpg spud bed 2.jpg 16312050627186950531445176349773.jpg 168E47BB-C464-4601-9346-5A9C77ED7E5C.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Welshman
    Like x 6

Built a mini greenhouse

My skills are limited, but i got a sharp pencil lol…….
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Welshman
    Like x 10

Garden Arbor

Totally worth the effort and thanks for the details :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. rachk116

Advice and inspiration please

I'd actually considered carving out the middles and drilling some drainage holes to create a planter but I think that's a bit beyond my skills. I might get a shallow planter to put on them though .
    I'd actually considered carving out the middles and drilling some drainage holes to create a planter but I think that's a bit beyond my skills. I might get a shallow planter to put on them though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Usman Qureshi

DIY Garden Levelling and Turfing Advice

Welcome to the forum UsmanLooking good so far. Have you got a ladder or could borrow one, that will help getting level. Having tilled your soil will be fluffed up, it needs compacting. To do...
    Welcome to the forum UsmanLooking good so far. Have you got a ladder or could borrow one, that will help getting level. Having tilled your soil will be fluffed up, it needs compacting. To do this walk on your heels, no joke, all over, it will take a while as your area is big. If you don't...
    Welcome to the forum UsmanLooking good so far. Have you got a ladder or could borrow one, that will help getting level. Having tilled your soil will be fluffed up, it needs compacting. To do this walk on your heels, no joke, all over, it will...
    Welcome to the forum UsmanLooking good so far. Have you got a ladder or could borrow one, that will help getting level. Having tilled your soil will be fluffed up, it needs compacting. To do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Retired
    Like x 3

On top at last.

Interesting stuff Colin, and yes, my story is similar since I went through a lot of bikes and eventually found a BMW R100 RS and stuck with that until it wore out, and finding myself suddenly...
    Interesting stuff Colin, and yes, my story is similar since I went through a lot of bikes and eventually found a BMW R100 RS and stuck with that until it wore out, and finding myself suddenly solvent I bought the Guzzi. It´s getting bored with me now, so the Benelli 400 was a nod to my advancing...
    Interesting stuff Colin, and yes, my story is similar since I went through a lot of bikes and eventually found a BMW R100 RS and stuck with that until it wore out, and finding myself suddenly solvent I bought the Guzzi. It´s getting bored with me...
    Interesting stuff Colin, and yes, my story is similar since I went through a lot of bikes and eventually found a BMW R100 RS and stuck with that until it wore out, and finding myself suddenly...
    31 July 2021_0003.JPG 31 July 2021_0004.JPG 31 July 2021_0005.JPG 31 July 2021_0006.JPG 31 July 2021_0007.JPG 31 July 2021_0008.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jack Sparrow

Making a Removable Washing Line

If I was using the screw with a ring it would need to be at least 8mm and fixed at right angles to the line. The plate and ring looks a better bet, though you might have to drill the holes a bit...
    If I was using the screw with a ring it would need to be at least 8mm and fixed at right angles to the line. The plate and ring looks a better bet, though you might have to drill the holes a bit bigger to accept a suitable screw. Use nuts and bolts on wood under two inches thick. Carabiners can...
    If I was using the screw with a ring it would need to be at least 8mm and fixed at right angles to the line. The plate and ring looks a better bet, though you might have to drill the holes a bit bigger to accept a suitable screw. Use nuts and...
    If I was using the screw with a ring it would need to be at least 8mm and fixed at right angles to the line. The plate and ring looks a better bet, though you might have to drill the holes a bit...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. SandyNI
    Like x 19

My secret garden

@Selleri you're a mind reader! I desperately want a water feature and a pond. A pond would probably be a mistake because of the falling leaves.... mountains of the little bleeders every Autumn....
    @Selleri you're a mind reader! I desperately want a water feature and a pond. A pond would probably be a mistake because of the falling leaves.... mountains of the little bleeders every Autumn. With a water feature I wanted a waterfall in the rockery... it would have to be solar as I can't do...
    @Selleri you're a mind reader! I desperately want a water feature and a pond. A pond would probably be a mistake because of the falling leaves.... mountains of the little bleeders every Autumn. With a water feature I wanted a waterfall in the...
    @Selleri you're a mind reader! I desperately want a water feature and a pond. A pond would probably be a mistake because of the falling leaves.... mountains of the little bleeders every Autumn....
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. kiehugh

I hate my front garden... help please

@Clare G has a good point, it might be worth considering to hire someone to do the boring and heavy bits and focus on the delights of designing and planting. It's a good investment and will...
    @Clare G has a good point, it might be worth considering to hire someone to do the boring and heavy bits and focus on the delights of designing and planting. It's a good investment and will support local economy- and to get it properly done will increase the house value and save a lot of fixing...
    @Clare G has a good point, it might be worth considering to hire someone to do the boring and heavy bits and focus on the delights of designing and planting. It's a good investment and will support local economy- and to get it properly done will...
    @Clare G has a good point, it might be worth considering to hire someone to do the boring and heavy bits and focus on the delights of designing and planting. It's a good investment and will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NAlberto

Barn Shed - air flow to minimise condensation/mould

I've just had another look at the mould area in the pictures and can see a clear line in it which looks like it had something leaning there. So it probably is just surface mould and not what I...
    I've just had another look at the mould area in the pictures and can see a clear line in it which looks like it had something leaning there. So it probably is just surface mould and not what I originally thought I was looking at.
    I've just had another look at the mould area in the pictures and can see a clear line in it which looks like it had something leaning there. So it probably is just surface mould and not what I originally thought I was looking at.
    I've just had another look at the mould area in the pictures and can see a clear line in it which looks like it had something leaning there. So it probably is just surface mould and not what I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. WeeTam

Greenhouse kickboards, cement board or asbestos cement board? Help please.

@K78green please see the help guide hereTHE HOW TO GUIDE
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Gizmo

Cuprinol paint / garden furniture

Hi I have painted our garden table and chairs with cuprinol paint I have given then 4 coats a very short time ago but now noticing pealing and like black spots tried wiping off no luck not sure...
    Hi I have painted our garden table and chairs with cuprinol paint I have given then 4 coats a very short time ago but now noticing pealing and like black spots tried wiping off no luck not sure what's wrong.. Thanks for the help and advice
    Hi I have painted our garden table and chairs with cuprinol paint I have given then 4 coats a very short time ago but now noticing pealing and like black spots tried wiping off no luck not sure what's wrong.. Thanks for the help and advice
    Hi I have painted our garden table and chairs with cuprinol paint I have given then 4 coats a very short time ago but now noticing pealing and like black spots tried wiping off no luck not sure...
    IMG_20210716_143629.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. kyleleonard

Garden Edging for Lawn/Flowerbeds

I tried edging but found choosing what I thought was suitable was a problem. So decided against getting any. Instead I cut a new edge originally and then about once a year tidy it up. If done...
    I tried edging but found choosing what I thought was suitable was a problem. So decided against getting any. Instead I cut a new edge originally and then about once a year tidy it up. If done well, and consolidated into a firm edge, it lasts the year. 20m shouldn't take long.I posted a...
    I tried edging but found choosing what I thought was suitable was a problem. So decided against getting any. Instead I cut a new edge originally and then about once a year tidy it up. If done well, and consolidated into a firm edge, it lasts...
    I tried edging but found choosing what I thought was suitable was a problem. So decided against getting any. Instead I cut a new edge originally and then about once a year tidy it up. If done...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hoofy

Is this arch okay for wisteria

It's a very nice arch. I'd grow a 1 or 2 climbling rose or a rambling rose along with some clematis probably the viticella group they can be cut back hard so you can see the arch still over long...
    It's a very nice arch. I'd grow a 1 or 2 climbling rose or a rambling rose along with some clematis probably the viticella group they can be cut back hard so you can see the arch still over long periods. They aee also others like jasmine honeysuckle passionflower and lots of annual climbers and...
    It's a very nice arch. I'd grow a 1 or 2 climbling rose or a rambling rose along with some clematis probably the viticella group they can be cut back hard so you can see the arch still over long periods. They aee also others like jasmine...
    It's a very nice arch. I'd grow a 1 or 2 climbling rose or a rambling rose along with some clematis probably the viticella group they can be cut back hard so you can see the arch still over long...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. kyleleonard
    Like x 6

New House/Garden

Thanks @JWK, I'm going to try and keep this thread updated as a bit of motivation!
    Thanks @JWK, I'm going to try and keep this thread updated as a bit of motivation!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Johnta

Raised beds.

Hi @Johnta,Well going to advocate a different way and thats not to make raised beds.Raised beds need a lot of work to set them up with either timber or bricks etc. and a Lot of soil and...
    Hi @Johnta,Well going to advocate a different way and thats not to make raised beds.Raised beds need a lot of work to set them up with either timber or bricks etc. and a Lot of soil and compost to go in them, not the lightest of tasks as we know !!With them being raised with the usual...
    Hi @Johnta,Well going to advocate a different way and thats not to make raised beds.Raised beds need a lot of work to set them up with either timber or bricks etc. and a Lot of soil and compost to go in them, not the lightest of tasks as we...
    Hi @Johnta,Well going to advocate a different way and thats not to make raised beds.Raised beds need a lot of work to set them up with either timber or bricks etc. and a Lot of soil and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. luciusmaximus

Looking for some inspiration

this is our pond now with filtration unit just got to sort out plants
    IMG_20210602_210725.jpg IMG_20210602_210741.jpg upload_2021-6-4_17-3-24.png IMG_20210531_190525.jpg IMG_20210531_190510.jpg IMG_20210605_102036_resized_20210605_102252199.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice