1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening For People With Disabilities

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ThePlantAssassin
    Friendly x 7

Mental Health issues can be overwhelming

I feel now that I should comment. Firstly my apologies to my friend, Cindy,'The plant Assissin. Simply browsing past threads. I came upon this one. For whatever reason. It stepped out at me. ...
    I feel now that I should comment. Firstly my apologies to my friend, Cindy,'The plant Assissin. Simply browsing past threads. I came upon this one. For whatever reason. It stepped out at me. I posted a comment.As far as I understand it. Forums offer the chance of individuals to, OK,...
    I feel now that I should comment. Firstly my apologies to my friend, Cindy,'The plant Assissin. Simply browsing past threads. I came upon this one. For whatever reason. It stepped out at me. I posted a comment.As far as I understand it. ...
    I feel now that I should comment. Firstly my apologies to my friend, Cindy,'The plant Assissin. Simply browsing past threads. I came upon this one. For whatever reason. It stepped out at me. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley

SOME TOOLS FOR GARDENERS WITH DISABILITIES..

In this LINK you will find various adapted garden tools
    Replies:
    Views:
  4.   » Normal Threads
  5. TheMadHedger

Arthritis and garden tools

I was under the impression that some aids are VAT free, I know that may not possibly include gardening tools, I've never looked into it. I'm just wondering what kind of aid could help someone,...
    I was under the impression that some aids are VAT free, I know that may not possibly include gardening tools, I've never looked into it. I'm just wondering what kind of aid could help someone, using shears, with thumb problems?
    I was under the impression that some aids are VAT free, I know that may not possibly include gardening tools, I've never looked into it. I'm just wondering what kind of aid could help someone, using shears, with thumb problems?
    I was under the impression that some aids are VAT free, I know that may not possibly include gardening tools, I've never looked into it. I'm just wondering what kind of aid could help someone,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Digginginclay

Grass trimmer on steroids please

I've got the Ryobi One+ brush cutter. It definitely can hammer brambles, but it's a bit heavy so you need to wear the harness with back support for a long stint. Sweeping an electric hedge trimmer...
    I've got the Ryobi One+ brush cutter. It definitely can hammer brambles, but it's a bit heavy so you need to wear the harness with back support for a long stint. Sweeping an electric hedge trimmer down low can do a lot, but that does involve bending unless you have the one with extension for...
    I've got the Ryobi One+ brush cutter. It definitely can hammer brambles, but it's a bit heavy so you need to wear the harness with back support for a long stint. Sweeping an electric hedge trimmer down low can do a lot, but that does involve...
    I've got the Ryobi One+ brush cutter. It definitely can hammer brambles, but it's a bit heavy so you need to wear the harness with back support for a long stint. Sweeping an electric hedge trimmer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Fat Controller

Landscape fabric to make life easier

Typical! Short-changed again :roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Frazzled
    Like x 5

Success stories

Sounds great @Frazzled, would be nice to see some photos of what you've created if you have any! Those chest-high raised beds sound like a fantastic idea! I suffer from quite a few mental health...
    Sounds great @Frazzled, would be nice to see some photos of what you've created if you have any! Those chest-high raised beds sound like a fantastic idea! I suffer from quite a few mental health problems and developing an interest in horticulture is probably the best thing that ever happened to...
    Sounds great @Frazzled, would be nice to see some photos of what you've created if you have any! Those chest-high raised beds sound like a fantastic idea! I suffer from quite a few mental health problems and developing an interest in horticulture...
    Sounds great @Frazzled, would be nice to see some photos of what you've created if you have any! Those chest-high raised beds sound like a fantastic idea! I suffer from quite a few mental health...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Gizmo
    Friendly x 3

I am disabled main carer

Many thanks for your supportI have tried for so many years trying to get support for even my mental health / past history but doors keep getting shut so I think to my self is life really worth...
    Many thanks for your supportI have tried for so many years trying to get support for even my mental health / past history but doors keep getting shut so I think to my self is life really worth it. When I was younger all I wanted was a family but we can't all ways have a fairy tale...
    Many thanks for your supportI have tried for so many years trying to get support for even my mental health / past history but doors keep getting shut so I think to my self is life really worth it. When I was younger all I wanted was a family...
    Many thanks for your supportI have tried for so many years trying to get support for even my mental health / past history but doors keep getting shut so I think to my self is life really worth...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. manxnorton
    Like x 5

Bri's gardening progress blogthingibob

Thank you very much. Really appreciate this. As I said it’s hard (we’ll for my small brain lol) to shop on line, fraught with danger as basically I can’t see the woods for the trees and tunnel...
    Thank you very much. Really appreciate this. As I said it’s hard (we’ll for my small brain lol) to shop on line, fraught with danger as basically I can’t see the woods for the trees and tunnel vision and don’t realise if I’m buying a load of crap! Hope this makes Sence? I.e. I bought only two...
    Thank you very much. Really appreciate this. As I said it’s hard (we’ll for my small brain lol) to shop on line, fraught with danger as basically I can’t see the woods for the trees and tunnel vision and don’t realise if I’m buying a load of...
    Thank you very much. Really appreciate this. As I said it’s hard (we’ll for my small brain lol) to shop on line, fraught with danger as basically I can’t see the woods for the trees and tunnel...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. RoyP

Electric tool for weeding etc

Ricky101 is absolutely right. Weeding is incessant. However, I stumbled on a surprise suppressant a couple of years ago with my parsnips. A local farmer let me have a load of 'farmyard' and, to...
    Ricky101 is absolutely right. Weeding is incessant. However, I stumbled on a surprise suppressant a couple of years ago with my parsnips. A local farmer let me have a load of 'farmyard' and, to keep them weed free over autumn/winter until we needed them, I spread the manure all around them,...
    Ricky101 is absolutely right. Weeding is incessant. However, I stumbled on a surprise suppressant a couple of years ago with my parsnips. A local farmer let me have a load of 'farmyard' and, to keep them weed free over autumn/winter until we...
    Ricky101 is absolutely right. Weeding is incessant. However, I stumbled on a surprise suppressant a couple of years ago with my parsnips. A local farmer let me have a load of 'farmyard' and, to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Dai007

Disability gardening

we have only had the Gerbera this year all new. Regarding the osteospermums I intend to try and get loads of fresh cuttings any tips on taking cuttings. About protecting them no never bothered...
    we have only had the Gerbera this year all new. Regarding the osteospermums I intend to try and get loads of fresh cuttings any tips on taking cuttings. About protecting them no never bothered planning on doing so this winter as the Gerbera are new plan is to cover with fleece. Thanks. David
    we have only had the Gerbera this year all new. Regarding the osteospermums I intend to try and get loads of fresh cuttings any tips on taking cuttings. About protecting them no never bothered planning on doing so this winter as the Gerbera are...
    we have only had the Gerbera this year all new. Regarding the osteospermums I intend to try and get loads of fresh cuttings any tips on taking cuttings. About protecting them no never bothered...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Sarah Giles
    Like x 15

Gardening for Mental health

Nice posts by recent posters but just pointing out that this thread is more than three years old and the OP is no longer active on G C. Hope she’s ok.
    Nice posts by recent posters but just pointing out that this thread is more than three years old and the OP is no longer active on G C. Hope she’s ok.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Gail_68
    Like x 4

ROLLING WORK SEAT - For people with disabilities

@kazzawazza took a pic of my seat out side mate for you and they also send 3 garden tools also...mind you the ones ok for weeding but we have the others but as you'll see it's ideal for along the...
    @kazzawazza took a pic of my seat out side mate for you and they also send 3 garden tools also...mind you the ones ok for weeding but we have the others but as you'll see it's ideal for along the path with my legs either side of the plants while cutting :)
    @kazzawazza took a pic of my seat out side mate for you and they also send 3 garden tools also...mind you the ones ok for weeding but we have the others but as you'll see it's ideal for along the path with my legs either side of the plants while...
    @kazzawazza took a pic of my seat out side mate for you and they also send 3 garden tools also...mind you the ones ok for weeding but we have the others but as you'll see it's ideal for along the...
    F04D1EA8-F356-41BA-9967-BD23B628F0AC.jpeg 63BB397A-ED14-4021-BE6D-9661D4F65185.jpeg D72E89B0-1116-4346-9D67-2CCAD11CD7DE.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Gail_68

Enabled Garden Design For Disabilities

Enabled Garden Design – Learn About Gardening With DisabilitiesDoctors now tell us that gardening is a therapeutic activity that fortifies the mind, body and spirit. As gardeners, we’ve always...
    Enabled Garden Design – Learn About Gardening With DisabilitiesDoctors now tell us that gardening is a therapeutic activity that fortifies the mind, body and spirit. As gardeners, we’ve always known that the sun and soil that gives life to our plants also facilitate growth in our own lives. So...
    Enabled Garden Design – Learn About Gardening With DisabilitiesDoctors now tell us that gardening is a therapeutic activity that fortifies the mind, body and spirit. As gardeners, we’ve always known that the sun and soil that gives life to our...
    Enabled Garden Design – Learn About Gardening With DisabilitiesDoctors now tell us that gardening is a therapeutic activity that fortifies the mind, body and spirit. As gardeners, we’ve always...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gail_68
    Informative x 6

Adaptive Garden tools for people with disabilities

Hi pattie, i'm in the same predicament mate :sad:...having to rely on my hubby a lot and it's nice to just have that bit of independence :yay:....if i drop anything:whistle:...he shouts what's that :snorky:We'll say your...
    Hi pattie, i'm in the same predicament mate :sad:...having to rely on my hubby a lot and it's nice to just have that bit of independence :yay:....if i drop anything:whistle:...he shouts what's that :snorky:We'll say your 30 and call it quits
    Hi pattie, i'm in the same predicament mate :sad:...having to rely on my hubby a lot and it's nice to just have that bit of independence :yay:....if i drop anything:whistle:...he shouts what's that :snorky:We'll say your 30 and call it quits
    Hi pattie, i'm in the same predicament mate :sad:...having to rely on my hubby a lot and it's nice to just have that bit of independence :yay:....if i drop anything:whistle:...he shouts what's that :snorky:We'll say your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Delta
    Like x 4

Suggestion to anyone else with hand arthritis & a yard garden

I have got a small collection of Bonsai trees, the oldest being over 25yrs and I have started them all from either seeds I collected or very small saplings.. They are really lovely plants I...
    I have got a small collection of Bonsai trees, the oldest being over 25yrs and I have started them all from either seeds I collected or very small saplings.. They are really lovely plants I agree.. I also have a horse chestnut and an oak bonsai but they are in large bonsai pots they are both...
    I have got a small collection of Bonsai trees, the oldest being over 25yrs and I have started them all from either seeds I collected or very small saplings.. They are really lovely plants I agree.. I also have a horse chestnut and an oak bonsai...
    I have got a small collection of Bonsai trees, the oldest being over 25yrs and I have started them all from either seeds I collected or very small saplings.. They are really lovely plants I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. roders
    Friendly x 14

Just had a hip replacement.

Thanks for all good wishes , it has now been just over three months since I had the opp. I have been quite lucky as it seems to have gone really well ,I am doing all the things I did before ,...
    Thanks for all good wishes , it has now been just over three months since I had the opp. I have been quite lucky as it seems to have gone really well ,I am doing all the things I did before , there are things that I am more careful doing like climbing ladders. It really is down to doing the...
    Thanks for all good wishes , it has now been just over three months since I had the opp. I have been quite lucky as it seems to have gone really well ,I am doing all the things I did before , there are things that I am more careful doing like...
    Thanks for all good wishes , it has now been just over three months since I had the opp. I have been quite lucky as it seems to have gone really well ,I am doing all the things I did before ,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. UsedtobeDendy

New raised beds installed in our growing area

Took some photos of the set up as it is at the moment
    IMG_0743.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. MrConspicuous

Help needed :)

IMHO I think you're doing the right thing - leave it until you have your own place.For me a garden is a very personal 'thing' - it makes a house a home.When you do buy your own place - there...
    IMHO I think you're doing the right thing - leave it until you have your own place.For me a garden is a very personal 'thing' - it makes a house a home.When you do buy your own place - there are plenty of ideas on here - from small container gardens to larger plots. :dbgrtmb:
    IMHO I think you're doing the right thing - leave it until you have your own place.For me a garden is a very personal 'thing' - it makes a house a home.When you do buy your own place - there are plenty of ideas on here - from small container...
    IMHO I think you're doing the right thing - leave it until you have your own place.For me a garden is a very personal 'thing' - it makes a house a home.When you do buy your own place - there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. arty

Disabled Hosepipe Ban

The last time our water authority brought in a ban they sent me a note renewing my exemption. Two days later they lifted the ban! :snork:
    The last time our water authority brought in a ban they sent me a note renewing my exemption. Two days later they lifted the ban! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Ian Taylor

A show garden from Spouthport Flower show

I really liked this show garden, has the garden designer suffers from Dyslexia, I also suffer with mild Dyslexia.
    I really liked this show garden, has the garden designer suffers from Dyslexia, I also suffer with mild Dyslexia.
    WP_20160821_14_29_24_Pro.jpg WP_20160821_14_30_01_Pro.jpg WP_20160821_14_29_51_Pro.jpg WP_20160821_14_29_55_Pro.jpg WP_20160821_14_30_14_Pro.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. CraigS

Organic Soil Amendments & Aerated Compost Teas, Nutrient Exchange, A Way Ahead

Hi Craig....very interesting stuff and it has to be worth a try. Let us know how you get on with it. Like John says, many here use comfrey tea and swear by it. As soon as I get properly stuck...
    Hi Craig....very interesting stuff and it has to be worth a try. Let us know how you get on with it. Like John says, many here use comfrey tea and swear by it. As soon as I get properly stuck into my new garden when all the DIY is complete inside I'll be trying comfrey tea myself. I just...
    Hi Craig....very interesting stuff and it has to be worth a try. Let us know how you get on with it. Like John says, many here use comfrey tea and swear by it. As soon as I get properly stuck into my new garden when all the DIY is complete...
    Hi Craig....very interesting stuff and it has to be worth a try. Let us know how you get on with it. Like John says, many here use comfrey tea and swear by it. As soon as I get properly stuck...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. IanArmour

The Wheelchair Garden

wheelchair users generally have problems accessing/wheeling around the garden safely and unaided, rather then lacking space or ideas on where to plant things. Any wooden bench/table, shelf etc...
    wheelchair users generally have problems accessing/wheeling around the garden safely and unaided, rather then lacking space or ideas on where to plant things. Any wooden bench/table, shelf etc will fit the purpose as long as you can get to it (under or close enough), work on the plants within a...
    wheelchair users generally have problems accessing/wheeling around the garden safely and unaided, rather then lacking space or ideas on where to plant things. Any wooden bench/table, shelf etc will fit the purpose as long as you can get to it...
    wheelchair users generally have problems accessing/wheeling around the garden safely and unaided, rather then lacking space or ideas on where to plant things. Any wooden bench/table, shelf etc...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice