General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

What's Looking Good in July 2024

Leucanthemum, this was a tiny plant from the Car Boot sale last year.Sidalcea "Party Girl"BorageTwo different fuchsias growing close together
    Leucanthemum, this was a tiny plant from the Car Boot sale last year.Sidalcea "Party Girl"BorageTwo different fuchsias growing close together
    20240630_135140.jpg 20240630_135255.jpg 20240630_135407.jpg 20240630_135606.jpg 20240630_135626.jpg 20240630_135659.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

Quite likely :whistle:. Can't see it from here :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Isn't it strange? I can't grow Alstroemeria Indian Summer for toffee, but psitticana is romping away.... My Zanthoxylum (whichever species it was) got the chop yesterday. It was dying by inches,...
    Isn't it strange? I can't grow Alstroemeria Indian Summer for toffee, but psitticana is romping away.... My Zanthoxylum (whichever species it was) got the chop yesterday. It was dying by inches, probably another casualty of the wet winter. Having decided that i don't like the flavour of...
    Isn't it strange? I can't grow Alstroemeria Indian Summer for toffee, but psitticana is romping away.... My Zanthoxylum (whichever species it was) got the chop yesterday. It was dying by inches, probably another casualty of the wet winter....
    Isn't it strange? I can't grow Alstroemeria Indian Summer for toffee, but psitticana is romping away.... My Zanthoxylum (whichever species it was) got the chop yesterday. It was dying by inches,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 8

Sweetpeas

Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot...
    Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot dry weather. When I first moved here 20 years ago I planted fruit trees etc. but almost every year we...
    Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot dry weather. When I first moved here 20 years ago I...
    Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get...
    In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get some tubers. A very kind gardener. I planted those in 2023 and they came up lovely.This year I...
    In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get some tubers. A very kind gardener. I planted those...
    In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get...
    20200425_154448.jpg 1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able...
    Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able to buy anything this year as don't want to add even more plants to our move :)
    Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able to buy anything this year as don't want to add...
    Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. Murphy99

Will hedge grow back?

One of the reasons why privet is common is that it's not fussy about soil type. It's fine on our sandy soil, and I'm guessing ours was planted without much or any soil improvement judging from...
    One of the reasons why privet is common is that it's not fussy about soil type. It's fine on our sandy soil, and I'm guessing ours was planted without much or any soil improvement judging from other areas of the garden where I've removed old shrubs.The privet was so overgrown that it looked...
    One of the reasons why privet is common is that it's not fussy about soil type. It's fine on our sandy soil, and I'm guessing ours was planted without much or any soil improvement judging from other areas of the garden where I've removed old...
    One of the reasons why privet is common is that it's not fussy about soil type. It's fine on our sandy soil, and I'm guessing ours was planted without much or any soil improvement judging from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. RoisinMcGuire

Can someone enlighten me about bulbs? (Warning: Spring Post!)

You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots...
    You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots which you can then protect from the worst weather to prevent waterlogging, and if they're some of...
    You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots which you can then protect from the worst weather...
    You can certainly lift and store them, but that's also quite difficult as they can be a bit hit and miss if you don't have perfect conditions for that. It's easier to have them in separate pots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Black Dog
    Like x 5

Anyone else adopting abused plants on sale?

We call the reduced price plant section, The Zombie Trolley. :) :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. BB3
    Like x 4

Plants that used to be naff

Good way of putting it. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Andrew Kennedy

RUNNER BEANS - Slugs??

My runner beans are being decimated. Hardly any plants left from 10 plants put out in the ground a few days ago.
    My runner beans are being decimated. Hardly any plants left from 10 plants put out in the ground a few days ago.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Goblinquartz

Virginia creeper looking dead

I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be...
    I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be different, but then you'd have to dig it out of the existing site for replanting and that could be...
    I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be different, but then you'd have to dig it out of the...
    I'd never attempt to grow one in a pot, for the reason given. You'd need a very, very big container to keep it happy enough to thrive well. If you made a purpose built bed for it, that would be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. R1ch4rd

Tree Selection Advice

If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any...
    If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any plant you choose. The mix it's in will have to be suitable too - a good soil based one, or just soil,...
    If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any plant you choose. The mix it's in will have to be...
    If it's a totally enclosed container, as opposed to one that's open to the ground, it's certainly a bit small for most large shrubs/trees, so bigger will always be better for the health of any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. R1ch4rd

Bamboo - Should I be worried?

If there isn't any photosynthesis then the plant will not be able to survive, so cutting off any new growth is the solution. The problem with that is if it springs up somewhere that you can't get...
    If there isn't any photosynthesis then the plant will not be able to survive, so cutting off any new growth is the solution. The problem with that is if it springs up somewhere that you can't get to or in someone else's garden.
    If there isn't any photosynthesis then the plant will not be able to survive, so cutting off any new growth is the solution. The problem with that is if it springs up somewhere that you can't get to or in someone else's garden.
    If there isn't any photosynthesis then the plant will not be able to survive, so cutting off any new growth is the solution. The problem with that is if it springs up somewhere that you can't get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. On the Levels
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. micearguers
    Like x 17

Fond of Fronds

I agree, My collection of ferns has grown steadily over the yrs. Lovely plants and so easy. A bit of shade, a bit of water, collect the withered fronds in autumn, and done! :)
    I agree, My collection of ferns has grown steadily over the yrs. Lovely plants and so easy. A bit of shade, a bit of water, collect the withered fronds in autumn, and done! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Daniel Harden

Tree looks infected (Need Advice)

We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar...
    We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar to your picture. It does no harm and probably benefits the tree with some free fertiliser.
    We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar to your picture. It does no harm and probably...
    We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. InTheMoors

Cucumber Query

Thanks everyone. I've certainly learned something this week!
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Dave470

Water butt

I add a few drops of biodegradable washing up liquid, this reduces the surface tension and the larvae cannot hang from the surface as they breath.
    I add a few drops of biodegradable washing up liquid, this reduces the surface tension and the larvae cannot hang from the surface as they breath.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Lil_Dee

New Bay tree roots sticking up out of the soil in it's container

Wow... thank you all for the great advice, the removal tips you all have given me are diamond.
    Wow... thank you all for the great advice, the removal tips you all have given me are diamond.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. TheMadHedger

Garden Furniture - who makes high quality wood furniture?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have another hunt around based on those.
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Grays

What to do with this Forsythia, which is coming over.

Pruned or not, cytisus are short lived shrubs and very dull for about 50 weeks of the year so I would concentrate your efforts on sorting out the forsythia which flowers a wee mite longer. Take...
    Pruned or not, cytisus are short lived shrubs and very dull for about 50 weeks of the year so I would concentrate your efforts on sorting out the forsythia which flowers a wee mite longer. Take out any branches going the wrong way so that you are left with a manageable set of stumps.They...
    Pruned or not, cytisus are short lived shrubs and very dull for about 50 weeks of the year so I would concentrate your efforts on sorting out the forsythia which flowers a wee mite longer. Take out any branches going the wrong way so that you...
    Pruned or not, cytisus are short lived shrubs and very dull for about 50 weeks of the year so I would concentrate your efforts on sorting out the forsythia which flowers a wee mite longer. Take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Foxwillow

When to lift Iris and Agapanthus

Thanks @Pete8
    Thanks @Pete8
    Thanks @Pete8
    Thanks @Pete8
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Pink678

Snapdragons and Verbena - what to do now

Ah that's so helpful JennyJB, thanks ever so much! I'm going to go out and do it now.
    Ah that's so helpful JennyJB, thanks ever so much! I'm going to go out and do it now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Will Hay

What plant is this and should I prune it back

Anytime other than midwinter :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. LeadFarmer

Cutting back Amelanchier tree?

If you thin out about 1/3 of the oldest stems every few years (cut right back to the ground) then new stems will appear. That way you can keep it fresh. You can prune them back too - they are...
    If you thin out about 1/3 of the oldest stems every few years (cut right back to the ground) then new stems will appear. That way you can keep it fresh. You can prune them back too - they are tough shrubs.
    If you thin out about 1/3 of the oldest stems every few years (cut right back to the ground) then new stems will appear. That way you can keep it fresh. You can prune them back too - they are tough shrubs.
    If you thin out about 1/3 of the oldest stems every few years (cut right back to the ground) then new stems will appear. That way you can keep it fresh. You can prune them back too - they are...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice