General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

What's Looking Good October 2024

Not enough for showing off entire plants but there are still some flowers.
    20240919_075721.jpg 111_1085.JPG 20241002_114601.jpg PXL_20241003_074523580.MP.jpg DSC01941.jpeg DSC01937.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

My vertigo had virtually disappeared today so I've been out (very cautiously) and started clearing up the leaves off the paths around the house, doing it in half hour stints. As long as I...
    My vertigo had virtually disappeared today so I've been out (very cautiously) and started clearing up the leaves off the paths around the house, doing it in half hour stints. As long as I remembered not to bend down it was doable.Amazed to find that the winter manure I'd sown only a week or so...
    My vertigo had virtually disappeared today so I've been out (very cautiously) and started clearing up the leaves off the paths around the house, doing it in half hour stints. As long as I remembered not to bend down it was doable.Amazed to find...
    My vertigo had virtually disappeared today so I've been out (very cautiously) and started clearing up the leaves off the paths around the house, doing it in half hour stints. As long as I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 12

Cutting Lawn Edges

Yes, I am not sure why, this dark brown strip of well cured earth, that razor’s edge, are among my favourite sights in the garden. Perhaps because they are such clear(cut) indications of love's...
    Yes, I am not sure why, this dark brown strip of well cured earth, that razor’s edge, are among my favourite sights in the garden. Perhaps because they are such clear(cut) indications of love's labour's found.I have now had these metal edges for three years and am happy to report that they...
    Yes, I am not sure why, this dark brown strip of well cured earth, that razor’s edge, are among my favourite sights in the garden. Perhaps because they are such clear(cut) indications of love's labour's found.I have now had these metal edges...
    Yes, I am not sure why, this dark brown strip of well cured earth, that razor’s edge, are among my favourite sights in the garden. Perhaps because they are such clear(cut) indications of love's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Sisapointingly our Campsis did not bloom this year albeit being three meters tall and facing South.
    Sisapointingly our Campsis did not bloom this year albeit being three meters tall and facing South.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Just ordered some Asters from Bean Place nurseries and was very pleased with them. Clearly young plants but with extremely good root systems (had quite a struggle extracting one from the pot, but...
    Just ordered some Asters from Bean Place nurseries and was very pleased with them. Clearly young plants but with extremely good root systems (had quite a struggle extracting one from the pot, but it wasn't "pot bound"). Just under £5 each for a 9cm pot , plus p+p of course.
    Just ordered some Asters from Bean Place nurseries and was very pleased with them. Clearly young plants but with extremely good root systems (had quite a struggle extracting one from the pot, but it wasn't "pot bound"). Just under £5 each for a...
    Just ordered some Asters from Bean Place nurseries and was very pleased with them. Clearly young plants but with extremely good root systems (had quite a struggle extracting one from the pot, but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 8

Sweetpeas

Same here, the cut-flower value of mine has virtually finished because of greenfly infestation. After many years of growing sweet peas, this has been a very disappointing year in this...
    Same here, the cut-flower value of mine has virtually finished because of greenfly infestation. After many years of growing sweet peas, this has been a very disappointing year in this respect.Alas, I'll continue to enjoy them as a garden display for the rest of the season.
    Same here, the cut-flower value of mine has virtually finished because of greenfly infestation. After many years of growing sweet peas, this has been a very disappointing year in this respect.Alas, I'll continue to enjoy them as a garden...
    Same here, the cut-flower value of mine has virtually finished because of greenfly infestation. After many years of growing sweet peas, this has been a very disappointing year in this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

There are no long technical treatises on how to do anything connected with gardening but his comments still ring true today. He had a childlike wonder of nature which my grandfather had and...
    There are no long technical treatises on how to do anything connected with gardening but his comments still ring true today. He had a childlike wonder of nature which my grandfather had and instilled in me as a child, something I seem to have passed on to my daughter happily, and a naughty sense...
    There are no long technical treatises on how to do anything connected with gardening but his comments still ring true today. He had a childlike wonder of nature which my grandfather had and instilled in me as a child, something I seem to have...
    There are no long technical treatises on how to do anything connected with gardening but his comments still ring true today. He had a childlike wonder of nature which my grandfather had and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot...
    Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot dry weather. When I first moved here 20 years ago I planted fruit trees etc. but almost every year we...
    Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot dry weather. When I first moved here 20 years ago I...
    Another factor in my problem is a thin, shallow, gritty soil with a compacted shale layer only a spades depth below the surface. It puddles in wet weather and it is like watering a sieve in hot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get...
    In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get some tubers. A very kind gardener. I planted those in 2023 and they came up lovely.This year I...
    In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get some tubers. A very kind gardener. I planted those...
    In 2022, we were walking our regular route to the high street and saw some beautiful red and white dahlias in someone's garden, so I knocked the door and he invited me back in the autumn to get...
    20200425_154448.jpg 1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  20.   » Normal Threads
  21. Donna Crossman

Disease resistant climbing rose

Claire Austin keeps foliage nice and clean. Downside - very fragile flowers, very short lasting. Only this year I finally managed to have a good display. I overfed it with nitrogen, and it loved it.
    Claire Austin keeps foliage nice and clean. Downside - very fragile flowers, very short lasting. Only this year I finally managed to have a good display. I overfed it with nitrogen, and it loved it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Engelbert

Growing comfrey for wildlife (bees) and fertiliser (tea). Several questions...

Interesting thread, thankyou. Can I ask, is now also an ok time to cut the fading leaves to start to make a comfrey tea please?
    Interesting thread, thankyou. Can I ask, is now also an ok time to cut the fading leaves to start to make a comfrey tea please?
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Grays

Hydrangea in pot, ok to plant out?

Personally, I would say yes. Hydrangeas are tough as old boots, and this is an ideal time to plant. I planted one out a couple of weeks ago that was in a similar sized pot, and it's doing well.
    Personally, I would say yes. Hydrangeas are tough as old boots, and this is an ideal time to plant. I planted one out a couple of weeks ago that was in a similar sized pot, and it's doing well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Spruce

Scale insect on perennial Salvias’s

If plants in a greenhouse, you can use a Flea Puffer from a pet shop.Close all windows and doors, set it off and don't go into the greenhouse for at least 3 hours, then open everything and...
    If plants in a greenhouse, you can use a Flea Puffer from a pet shop.Close all windows and doors, set it off and don't go into the greenhouse for at least 3 hours, then open everything and Voila! all little pests eliminated for a long time. Works a treat.
    If plants in a greenhouse, you can use a Flea Puffer from a pet shop.Close all windows and doors, set it off and don't go into the greenhouse for at least 3 hours, then open everything and Voila! all little pests eliminated for a long time....
    If plants in a greenhouse, you can use a Flea Puffer from a pet shop.Close all windows and doors, set it off and don't go into the greenhouse for at least 3 hours, then open everything and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Selleri

Best way to sieve rubble out from soil

I wouldn't spend a lot of time sieving those - and it does need to be dry or the soil sticks.I have a lot of gravel like that mixed into beds/borders - it all helps with drainage. The whole...
    I wouldn't spend a lot of time sieving those - and it does need to be dry or the soil sticks.I have a lot of gravel like that mixed into beds/borders - it all helps with drainage. The whole 'back garden' was those red chuckies [as we call them here] so it was useful when I created a raised...
    I wouldn't spend a lot of time sieving those - and it does need to be dry or the soil sticks.I have a lot of gravel like that mixed into beds/borders - it all helps with drainage. The whole 'back garden' was those red chuckies [as we call them...
    I wouldn't spend a lot of time sieving those - and it does need to be dry or the soil sticks.I have a lot of gravel like that mixed into beds/borders - it all helps with drainage. The whole...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Newbie1979

Growing Lettuce inside?

Update... I've had the lights on above my rocket seedlings but they haven't really grown at all. The light bay is only about 6" above the rockets too, they've been on for around 12-14 hours a day...
    Update... I've had the lights on above my rocket seedlings but they haven't really grown at all. The light bay is only about 6" above the rockets too, they've been on for around 12-14 hours a day too. Any other suggestions? I've heard the Tom Thumb variety around good for growing inside during...
    Update... I've had the lights on above my rocket seedlings but they haven't really grown at all. The light bay is only about 6" above the rockets too, they've been on for around 12-14 hours a day too. Any other suggestions? I've heard the Tom...
    Update... I've had the lights on above my rocket seedlings but they haven't really grown at all. The light bay is only about 6" above the rockets too, they've been on for around 12-14 hours a day...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. tommyrot

What are these shoots and how can I get rid of them?

Equisetum has two types of growth, the first in spring, as you describe, which are structures containing spores, and the second in summer when green shoots emerge. It may be too late for these...
    Equisetum has two types of growth, the first in spring, as you describe, which are structures containing spores, and the second in summer when green shoots emerge. It may be too late for these shoots to emerge now but I thought that glyphosate would destroy the young emerging shoots of spring...
    Equisetum has two types of growth, the first in spring, as you describe, which are structures containing spores, and the second in summer when green shoots emerge. It may be too late for these shoots to emerge now but I thought that glyphosate...
    Equisetum has two types of growth, the first in spring, as you describe, which are structures containing spores, and the second in summer when green shoots emerge. It may be too late for these...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ClematisDbee

Planting potted plants as bare-rooted

I've had plants [clematis] from renowned, trusted sellers which have died because of those things. It isn't always obvious unless you poke about in there [not always possible] and in the case of...
    I've had plants [clematis] from renowned, trusted sellers which have died because of those things. It isn't always obvious unless you poke about in there [not always possible] and in the case of clems, they aren't tiny slips - they're at least a couple of years old and in fairly large pots, and...
    I've had plants [clematis] from renowned, trusted sellers which have died because of those things. It isn't always obvious unless you poke about in there [not always possible] and in the case of clems, they aren't tiny slips - they're at least a...
    I've had plants [clematis] from renowned, trusted sellers which have died because of those things. It isn't always obvious unless you poke about in there [not always possible] and in the case of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Plantminded

The Garden in Winter - What do you do?

Don't we all!
    Don't we all!
    Don't we all!
    Don't we all!
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. roders
    Like x 10

The wonder of nature……Hostas.

They look like that through most of summer here too @flounder :biggrin:Just slug fodder. I gave up on them a long time ago.
    They look like that through most of summer here too @flounder :biggrin:Just slug fodder. I gave up on them a long time ago.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. CatDouch
    Like x 9

Photos of Dahlias 2024

I had one which was very vigorous last year @Wild_Violet, but it's been a bit hit and miss re flowering. I think the tuber's probably huge too, and needs splitting, so I might try that. It's got...
    I had one which was very vigorous last year @Wild_Violet, but it's been a bit hit and miss re flowering. I think the tuber's probably huge too, and needs splitting, so I might try that. It's got several more buds just now, and it's so mild that they should be fine. It's the storing over winter...
    I had one which was very vigorous last year @Wild_Violet, but it's been a bit hit and miss re flowering. I think the tuber's probably huge too, and needs splitting, so I might try that. It's got several more buds just now, and it's so mild that...
    I had one which was very vigorous last year @Wild_Violet, but it's been a bit hit and miss re flowering. I think the tuber's probably huge too, and needs splitting, so I might try that. It's got...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. mazambo

Begonia question

I wouldn’t have thought of that so thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. ZeroZero

Hybrid Tulips that naturalise?

Thanks that name does ring a bell.
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Harmony

Hopesgrove Nurseries

I remember you too @HarmonyI got a couple of shrubs earlier this year from them, when I was getting some small hedging plants for part of my boundary. Very good. The biggest drawback is the...
    I remember you too @HarmonyI got a couple of shrubs earlier this year from them, when I was getting some small hedging plants for part of my boundary. Very good. The biggest drawback is the delivery charge, but if you're ordering a lot of stuff, especially bare root hedging, it's worthwhile.
    I remember you too @HarmonyI got a couple of shrubs earlier this year from them, when I was getting some small hedging plants for part of my boundary. Very good. The biggest drawback is the delivery charge, but if you're ordering a lot of...
    I remember you too @HarmonyI got a couple of shrubs earlier this year from them, when I was getting some small hedging plants for part of my boundary. Very good. The biggest drawback is the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Spruce

Galvanised Raised planters (suggestions who to buy from )

We got some from Amazon, £80 each. 6ft x 3ft x 2ft high. They came in galvanised steel, but I ended up painting them.
    We got some from Amazon, £80 each. 6ft x 3ft x 2ft high. They came in galvanised steel, but I ended up painting them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. eddybaby

My Jack Frost not happy! What happened?

You're very welcome!:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. trogre

Fuchsia

Depends where you are in the country and also which fuchsia it is. If it is in a pot I'd move it to a sheltered spot near the house and keep a close eye on the weather.
    Depends where you are in the country and also which fuchsia it is. If it is in a pot I'd move it to a sheltered spot near the house and keep a close eye on the weather.
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Spruce

Podophyllum versipelle 'Spotty Dotty

Yes I believe it is hardy, prefers a mire shaded spot
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. glosmike

Should I be fleecing my mature potted olive trees now ?

First frost here too - but my friend a couple of miles away had no grass frost at all.
    First frost here too - but my friend a couple of miles away had no grass frost at all.
    IMG_20241011_091355603.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. ricky101

Aloe Vera Drink ?

Sounds disgusting and gloopy!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice