1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 11

Show us your Shineyland plants 2017

I've got her twin sister :biggrin:
    DSCI0001 (3).JPG DSCI0003 (3).JPG DSC09451.JPG WP_20170529_09_46_28_Rich.jpg DSCI0001 (6).JPG Ferrula Communis Giant Fennel Seed Sowing instructions.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. GCHQ

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017 a

Spent around half hour this afternoon spreading bark chips over newly planted bulbs. Also, rearranged a rock pile I made couple of months ago so it now has two 'caves' built into it :). Spent rest...
    Spent around half hour this afternoon spreading bark chips over newly planted bulbs. Also, rearranged a rock pile I made couple of months ago so it now has two 'caves' built into it :). Spent rest of afternoon painting hallway.
    Spent around half hour this afternoon spreading bark chips over newly planted bulbs. Also, rearranged a rock pile I made couple of months ago so it now has two 'caves' built into it :). Spent rest of afternoon painting hallway.
    Spent around half hour this afternoon spreading bark chips over newly planted bulbs. Also, rearranged a rock pile I made couple of months ago so it now has two 'caves' built into it :). Spent rest...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. stephenprudence
    Like x 15

WHATS LOOKING GOOD IN DECEMBER 2017

Some things are still hanging on. With the cold snap coming some of them won't last but others are just getting into their strideThe white heather is just starting to flower and will carry on...
    Some things are still hanging on. With the cold snap coming some of them won't last but others are just getting into their strideThe white heather is just starting to flower and will carry on until MayThe fuchsia aborescens is on its second blooming.Dead nettles can also look goodAs...
    Some things are still hanging on. With the cold snap coming some of them won't last but others are just getting into their strideThe white heather is just starting to flower and will carry on until MayThe fuchsia aborescens is on its second...
    Some things are still hanging on. With the cold snap coming some of them won't last but others are just getting into their strideThe white heather is just starting to flower and will carry on...
    DSCI0210.JPG DSCI0217.JPG 20171203_101045.jpg 20171203_102205.jpg cape daisy.JPG Peligonium.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Probably rotted off at the crown last winter, without the neck, the tubers cant grow new shoots even if the tubers are unaffected. If there was no growth this year probably best to bin them.
    Probably rotted off at the crown last winter, without the neck, the tubers cant grow new shoots even if the tubers are unaffected. If there was no growth this year probably best to bin them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

You're right, Shiney, I missed Post 352:dunno::doh: Thank Mrs Shiney for me!!I'll supervise:thumbsup::heehee:
    You're right, Shiney, I missed Post 352:dunno::doh: Thank Mrs Shiney for me!!I'll supervise:thumbsup::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

FUCHSIAS - 2017

@ARMANDII and @Ian Taylor :loll:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

@longk :wow: such an intense colour still and unbelievable to think it's flowered and coped with the frosts - lovely photo capture :wub2:
    @longk :wow: such an intense colour still and unbelievable to think it's flowered and coped with the frosts - lovely photo capture :wub2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. KFF

What's happened to " what jobs are we .... "

Shiney New Thread HERE
    Shiney New Thread HERE
    Shiney New Thread HERE
    Shiney New Thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

Absolutely fantastic Sweet-pea!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23.   » Normal Threads
  24. 2nd_bassoon

Lemons and roses

I bought a lemon tree last March and it has flowered and made fruit non stop. I kept it in the garden until September and then decided to give it a go indoors. It did suffer a bit of a shock, but...
    I bought a lemon tree last March and it has flowered and made fruit non stop. I kept it in the garden until September and then decided to give it a go indoors. It did suffer a bit of a shock, but misting it every morning has helped a lot. It's again full of buds :wub2:Citrus trees enjoy a big pot....
    I bought a lemon tree last March and it has flowered and made fruit non stop. I kept it in the garden until September and then decided to give it a go indoors. It did suffer a bit of a shock, but misting it every morning has helped a lot. It's...
    I bought a lemon tree last March and it has flowered and made fruit non stop. I kept it in the garden until September and then decided to give it a go indoors. It did suffer a bit of a shock, but...
    upload_2017-11-13_20-59-57.jpeg Lemontree.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 3

Creating winter interest.

My local garden center is selling phlomis italica for half price. Does anyone have experience of it? Would it work in a pot. I love the colour of the leaves. I can give it sun but I can't...
    My local garden center is selling phlomis italica for half price. Does anyone have experience of it? Would it work in a pot. I love the colour of the leaves. I can give it sun but I can't guarantee shelter.G.
    My local garden center is selling phlomis italica for half price. Does anyone have experience of it? Would it work in a pot. I love the colour of the leaves. I can give it sun but I can't guarantee shelter.G.
    My local garden center is selling phlomis italica for half price. Does anyone have experience of it? Would it work in a pot. I love the colour of the leaves. I can give it sun but I can't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Zigs

Someone Killed the Corpse Flower

What a load of cods!!!We've got them as well. Blooms every year and only smells bad for one day (to attract the pollinating flies).
    What a load of cods!!!We've got them as well. Blooms every year and only smells bad for one day (to attract the pollinating flies).
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ricky101

Air Exchange ..?

They do give off oxygen Pete, but I think they take it up again either through the water in the soil or via leaves. Bottle gardens that are completely sealed work fine with only solar energy to...
    They do give off oxygen Pete, but I think they take it up again either through the water in the soil or via leaves. Bottle gardens that are completely sealed work fine with only solar energy to fuel the respiration and growth cycle.
    They do give off oxygen Pete, but I think they take it up again either through the water in the soil or via leaves. Bottle gardens that are completely sealed work fine with only solar energy to fuel the respiration and growth cycle.
    They do give off oxygen Pete, but I think they take it up again either through the water in the soil or via leaves. Bottle gardens that are completely sealed work fine with only solar energy to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Irmemac
    Like x 3

Your Plant Username

Just looked up this plant ''lapsana communis'' and found this description.... It is a leafy plant, the uppermost leaves being narrow lanceolate, intermediate height leaves are wide laceolate, some...
    Just looked up this plant ''lapsana communis'' and found this description.... It is a leafy plant, the uppermost leaves being narrow lanceolate, intermediate height leaves are wide laceolate, some with blunt fowardly-directed teeth whilst the lowest leaves are nearly oval but tapering to a...
    Just looked up this plant ''lapsana communis'' and found this description.... It is a leafy plant, the uppermost leaves being narrow lanceolate, intermediate height leaves are wide laceolate, some with blunt fowardly-directed teeth whilst the...
    Just looked up this plant ''lapsana communis'' and found this description.... It is a leafy plant, the uppermost leaves being narrow lanceolate, intermediate height leaves are wide laceolate, some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

The only gardening aspiration for 2018 I have is to get the garden to a point where it looks less like the local recycling centre and more like an actual garden.
    The only gardening aspiration for 2018 I have is to get the garden to a point where it looks less like the local recycling centre and more like an actual garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. wiseowl

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like...
    A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like thisHave a bonfire like this about once a month - the ash gets put into the compost and spread...
    A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like thisHave a bonfire like this about once a...
    A lot of my neighbours rarely bother with compost heaps :noidea: and take their green waste down to the dump - a 14 mile round trip! Not very environmentally friendly. :nonofinger:We have four compost heap like...
    03.jpg our-rebirth1.png IMAG2399.jpg IMAG2400.jpg IMAG2402.jpg -bee-signs-ideas-save-the-bees-posters.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. HarryS

Cordyline Winter Protection ?

If established Chamaerops, I find, is pretty tough and hardy, especially if in the ground rather than potted. Mine has taken minus 12 on a couple of occasions, but young plants are not quite so...
    If established Chamaerops, I find, is pretty tough and hardy, especially if in the ground rather than potted. Mine has taken minus 12 on a couple of occasions, but young plants are not quite so tough, especially newly bought plants from last summer that might well have been imported and unlikely...
    If established Chamaerops, I find, is pretty tough and hardy, especially if in the ground rather than potted. Mine has taken minus 12 on a couple of occasions, but young plants are not quite so tough, especially newly bought plants from last...
    If established Chamaerops, I find, is pretty tough and hardy, especially if in the ground rather than potted. Mine has taken minus 12 on a couple of occasions, but young plants are not quite so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. wiseowl
    Like x 10

WHATS LOOKING GOOD IN NOVEMBER

Brugmansia Charles Grimaldi enjoying the sun and rain ....
    P1290530.JPG P1390974.JPG P1390975.JPG P1390977.JPG P1390983.JPG P1390978.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Scrungee
    Informative x 5

Glyphoshate confirmed as going to be banned by EU

I think we're on the path, at the moment, to doing just that, Vince:whistle::wallbanging::coffee::snorky:
    I think we're on the path, at the moment, to doing just that, Vince:whistle::wallbanging::coffee::snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Newbienoidea

Gardening business...start up advice.

Although I agree that there are a lot of rich people that are less than generous (an understatement :rolleyespink:) I know a lot of very rich people who are exceptionally rich and are very generous and...
    Although I agree that there are a lot of rich people that are less than generous (an understatement :rolleyespink:) I know a lot of very rich people who are exceptionally rich and are very generous and self-effacing. In fact, quite a lot of them you would meet down the pub, or elsewhere, and never know they...
    Although I agree that there are a lot of rich people that are less than generous (an understatement :rolleyespink:) I know a lot of very rich people who are exceptionally rich and are very generous and self-effacing. In fact, quite a lot of them you would...
    Although I agree that there are a lot of rich people that are less than generous (an understatement :rolleyespink:) I know a lot of very rich people who are exceptionally rich and are very generous and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. BeeHappy

GC MEMBERS -SEED COLLECTED SAVED IN 2017 FOR 2018 SOWING

I went on a bit of a seed collecting 'binge' this year, prior to our house move.I figured it was an easy way to take as much of the old garden with me as possible, concentrating mostly on the...
    I went on a bit of a seed collecting 'binge' this year, prior to our house move.I figured it was an easy way to take as much of the old garden with me as possible, concentrating mostly on the plants which happily seed themselves around and do well in the light, sandy soil which we have in this...
    I went on a bit of a seed collecting 'binge' this year, prior to our house move.I figured it was an easy way to take as much of the old garden with me as possible, concentrating mostly on the plants which happily seed themselves around and do...
    I went on a bit of a seed collecting 'binge' this year, prior to our house move.I figured it was an easy way to take as much of the old garden with me as possible, concentrating mostly on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. AndyS

Getting the best from a Passiflora

When you say prune hard, are we talking taking the main stems right back down to a few inches from the soil? Or just cutting back all the flowering/leafy growth?Being almost coastal we don't...
    When you say prune hard, are we talking taking the main stems right back down to a few inches from the soil? Or just cutting back all the flowering/leafy growth?Being almost coastal we don't usually get temps that low, but I'll use some fleece around the container and plant as per @Verdun 's...
    When you say prune hard, are we talking taking the main stems right back down to a few inches from the soil? Or just cutting back all the flowering/leafy growth?Being almost coastal we don't usually get temps that low, but I'll use some fleece...
    When you say prune hard, are we talking taking the main stems right back down to a few inches from the soil? Or just cutting back all the flowering/leafy growth?Being almost coastal we don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. NigelJ
    Informative x 5

A Tale of Two Microclimates

@NigelJ for the additional info - mind you now ya got me looking at Amaryllis varieties to add to me garden too :whistle:....OHhhhh!!! :help: I do need little encouragement to spend on the garden :heehee:
    @NigelJ for the additional info - mind you now ya got me looking at Amaryllis varieties to add to me garden too :whistle:....OHhhhh!!! :help: I do need little encouragement to spend on the garden :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. HarryS

Clematis Suppliers and Type ?

I've got two Clematis, one white and the other pink. Brought them young and as soon as they started shooting growth I was entwining them up the fence and across the top I've interweaved them so we...
    I've got two Clematis, one white and the other pink. Brought them young and as soon as they started shooting growth I was entwining them up the fence and across the top I've interweaved them so we get a good show of them both mixed, they're not in flower on my pic.:)
    I've got two Clematis, one white and the other pink. Brought them young and as soon as they started shooting growth I was entwining them up the fence and across the top I've interweaved them so we get a good show of them both mixed, they're not...
    I've got two Clematis, one white and the other pink. Brought them young and as soon as they started shooting growth I was entwining them up the fence and across the top I've interweaved them so we...
    DSC00002 (6).JPG DSC00001 (1).JPG DSC00002 (1).JPG DSC00003 (2).JPG DSC_0158.JPG Clematis.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Gail_68

Name of these plants pls

We did have in the back garden two large curry plants and when the sun hit them, omg the smell was like draw/cannabis in the air, I had them removed and binned lol
    We did have in the back garden two large curry plants and when the sun hit them, omg the smell was like draw/cannabis in the air, I had them removed and binned lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Jack Sparrow

Drought Tolerant Plants

No real convention on watering Gary. :)Some plants need regular watering esp in certain circumstances.....e.g. Plants in hanging baskets may need twice a day watering; this is because of limited...
    No real convention on watering Gary. :)Some plants need regular watering esp in certain circumstances.....e.g. Plants in hanging baskets may need twice a day watering; this is because of limited compost, exposure all round to drying wind and sun and the number of plants fighting for limited...
    No real convention on watering Gary. :)Some plants need regular watering esp in certain circumstances.....e.g. Plants in hanging baskets may need twice a day watering; this is because of limited compost, exposure all round to drying wind and...
    No real convention on watering Gary. :)Some plants need regular watering esp in certain circumstances.....e.g. Plants in hanging baskets may need twice a day watering; this is because of limited...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. GardeningFin

Allium bulb already coming - normal?

GardeningFin, just relax. They will be fine :)Mulch if you want to....not right up to the stems though....but I would let them be. After flowering, and it will prob be in the spring even though...
    GardeningFin, just relax. They will be fine :)Mulch if you want to....not right up to the stems though....but I would let them be. After flowering, and it will prob be in the spring even though they growing well right now, I would dig them up then and replant a few inches deeper. In future...
    GardeningFin, just relax. They will be fine :)Mulch if you want to....not right up to the stems though....but I would let them be. After flowering, and it will prob be in the spring even though they growing well right now, I would dig them up...
    GardeningFin, just relax. They will be fine :)Mulch if you want to....not right up to the stems though....but I would let them be. After flowering, and it will prob be in the spring even though...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

DISAPPOINTED.

Let's hope Parkers are reading this. A lot of customers and potential customers are. Perhaps they will do the right thing and send Caroline proper replacements. Then she can report better news...
    Let's hope Parkers are reading this. A lot of customers and potential customers are. Perhaps they will do the right thing and send Caroline proper replacements. Then she can report better news about Parkers :)
    Let's hope Parkers are reading this. A lot of customers and potential customers are. Perhaps they will do the right thing and send Caroline proper replacements. Then she can report better news about Parkers :)
    Let's hope Parkers are reading this. A lot of customers and potential customers are. Perhaps they will do the right thing and send Caroline proper replacements. Then she can report better news...
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. JohnD

Will my booby create nitrogen depletion in my soil?

The bacteria that break down leaves etc are oxygen loving but they survive nicely in soil, along with the worms, fungi, insects in the soil that also do the same job. To be honest I wouldn't add...
    The bacteria that break down leaves etc are oxygen loving but they survive nicely in soil, along with the worms, fungi, insects in the soil that also do the same job. To be honest I wouldn't add nitrogen as it will encourage soft and leafy growth in plants and it's the wrong time of year to add...
    The bacteria that break down leaves etc are oxygen loving but they survive nicely in soil, along with the worms, fungi, insects in the soil that also do the same job. To be honest I wouldn't add nitrogen as it will encourage soft and leafy...
    The bacteria that break down leaves etc are oxygen loving but they survive nicely in soil, along with the worms, fungi, insects in the soil that also do the same job. To be honest I wouldn't add...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options