Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Did a lot of weeding, catching up on it because the ground was too hard in the summer.
    Did a lot of weeding, catching up on it because the ground was too hard in the summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

What's Looking Good In October 2021

Thank you Len. Just a closeup of the blooms ...
    20210820_131605.jpg 20210920_180108.jpg 20210920_180117.jpg 20210920_180306.jpg Tecomaria Bougie2 1 Oct 21.jpg Tecomaria from Lane 1 Oct 21.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES - 2021

I went mad and bought too much. Nerine king Leopold (lovely different colour) Acca sellowiana (feijoa) Couple of very scented pinks Euonymus red cascade Kniphofia Toffee Nosed Romneya...
    I went mad and bought too much. Nerine king Leopold (lovely different colour) Acca sellowiana (feijoa) Couple of very scented pinks Euonymus red cascade Kniphofia Toffee Nosed Romneya coulteri Some others... And a dodgily hardy impatiens with lovely foliage
    I went mad and bought too much. Nerine king Leopold (lovely different colour) Acca sellowiana (feijoa) Couple of very scented pinks Euonymus red cascade Kniphofia Toffee Nosed Romneya coulteri Some others... And a dodgily hardy impatiens with...
    I went mad and bought too much. Nerine king Leopold (lovely different colour) Acca sellowiana (feijoa) Couple of very scented pinks Euonymus red cascade Kniphofia Toffee Nosed Romneya...
    Pic3.jpg 8CC01A7A-EE09-4240-930F-1346F775B939.jpeg 7D45E7B6-27A2-4E9E-BE1A-3A7498EFAAB9.jpeg IMG_20210108_111200122.jpg upload_2021-1-9_21-6-38.png 271DE23B-ED32-4642-90CC-1A92E72DD9D5.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS - 2021

Heard mention of a Nematode for the F. gall mite - this link does some but no idea how effective they are, though worth a try for the relatively low price ...?Amblyseius Andersonii | Green Gardener
    Heard mention of a Nematode for the F. gall mite - this link does some but no idea how effective they are, though worth a try for the relatively low price ...?Amblyseius Andersonii | Green Gardener
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS - 2021

Salvia miniata
    Salvia miniata
    Salvia miniata
    Salvia miniata
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

SWEETPEAS - 2021

Think I found the problem with my sweetpeas I found loads of these under the soil………….
    Think I found the problem with my sweetpeas I found loads of these under the soil………….
    Jiffy pots.jpeg IMG_20200703_141924.jpg 20210217_104547.jpg image.jpg 2FCC1881-C994-4583-AA54-08174AB75799.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Kristen

Kristen's Project

Sorry Kristen,I know I'm a pest but would also love to see how your Knot garden is coming on:thumbsup:
    Sorry Kristen,I know I'm a pest but would also love to see how your Knot garden is coming on:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm...
    Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm becoming increasingly fond of. Ordered 2 which are said to be particularly successful with butterflies on...
    Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm becoming increasingly fond of. Ordered 2 which are said...
    Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SOWING SEEDS - 2021

I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I...
    I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I can't use windowsills safely.
    I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I can't use windowsills safely.
    I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

ANYONE BUYING NEW SEED FOR 2021?

A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just...
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just couldn't resist.
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just couldn't resist.
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just...
    upload_2021-1-1_10-16-39.png 84032011_0_640x640.jpg Screenshot_20210216-080422~2.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

GARDENERS CORNER SEED SWAP 2021

I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can agree lilianas way is safer it wouldn't work for...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2021

My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually grow for sale. No open garden again this year so...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY - 2021

Let's hope it's a good year.
    upload_2021-1-1_10-13-11.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII

DAY LILIES - 2021

Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    upload_2021-1-1_10-5-55.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    pot.JPG basket 1.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. Spruce

Coleus cuttings

Any time I've grown coleus, it's been from seed. I then take lots of cuttings of the ones that look the best. They sometimes root in hours rather than days in the jam jar with water method. Then i...
    Any time I've grown coleus, it's been from seed. I then take lots of cuttings of the ones that look the best. They sometimes root in hours rather than days in the jam jar with water method. Then i get sick of the slugs and snails killing them off in spring....so I don't grow them for a few...
    Any time I've grown coleus, it's been from seed. I then take lots of cuttings of the ones that look the best. They sometimes root in hours rather than days in the jam jar with water method. Then i get sick of the slugs and snails killing them off...
    Any time I've grown coleus, it's been from seed. I then take lots of cuttings of the ones that look the best. They sometimes root in hours rather than days in the jam jar with water method. Then i...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Spruce

Salvia (perennial variety)

Got a few Amisted cuttings, never found seed yet, need to take a few cuttings this next weekend. Small S corrugata, S darcyi and S stolonifera plants will be moved into cold greenhouse once/if it...
    Got a few Amisted cuttings, never found seed yet, need to take a few cuttings this next weekend. Small S corrugata, S darcyi and S stolonifera plants will be moved into cold greenhouse once/if it cools down outside.
    Got a few Amisted cuttings, never found seed yet, need to take a few cuttings this next weekend. Small S corrugata, S darcyi and S stolonifera plants will be moved into cold greenhouse once/if it cools down outside.
    Got a few Amisted cuttings, never found seed yet, need to take a few cuttings this next weekend. Small S corrugata, S darcyi and S stolonifera plants will be moved into cold greenhouse once/if it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Kevin73

Clematis Mrs Cholmondeley leaves

Hello Kevin73, don't worry! Clematis do start to look very tatty in autumn. It probably dried out a bit in the nursery, too. You can snip off the brown-edged leaves if you want to tidy it up,...
    Hello Kevin73, don't worry! Clematis do start to look very tatty in autumn. It probably dried out a bit in the nursery, too. You can snip off the brown-edged leaves if you want to tidy it up, but all the excitement is over now until you see the new buds appearing (usually in February). That's...
    Hello Kevin73, don't worry! Clematis do start to look very tatty in autumn. It probably dried out a bit in the nursery, too. You can snip off the brown-edged leaves if you want to tidy it up, but all the excitement is over now until you see the...
    Hello Kevin73, don't worry! Clematis do start to look very tatty in autumn. It probably dried out a bit in the nursery, too. You can snip off the brown-edged leaves if you want to tidy it up,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. wiseowl

'Katsura'

Good morning @shiney @pete and @Macraignil and thank you for all your help very much apptreciated my friends
    Good morning @shiney @pete and @Macraignil and thank you for all your help very much apptreciated my friends
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. ricky101

Compost Bins and CardBoard/Paper ?

Similar, but slightly different, as any cardboard box that is still usable as a box (and its packing material) is saved and then when there is sufficient is picked up someone from a charity shop...
    Similar, but slightly different, as any cardboard box that is still usable as a box (and its packing material) is saved and then when there is sufficient is picked up someone from a charity shop (when they are passing) and used again for packaging.Other cardboard and paper goes on the compost...
    Similar, but slightly different, as any cardboard box that is still usable as a box (and its packing material) is saved and then when there is sufficient is picked up someone from a charity shop (when they are passing) and used again for...
    Similar, but slightly different, as any cardboard box that is still usable as a box (and its packing material) is saved and then when there is sufficient is picked up someone from a charity shop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Tinkerbelle61

Found a strawberry raise bed, how to look after it please?

Now THAT is what I am expecting from our three labs, they love eating compost, so will have to leave the old plants in the existing bed and lift the new baby plants out and plant them in a raised...
    Now THAT is what I am expecting from our three labs, they love eating compost, so will have to leave the old plants in the existing bed and lift the new baby plants out and plant them in a raised trug.Come summer, it’ll be dogs vs birds for the berries!!
    Now THAT is what I am expecting from our three labs, they love eating compost, so will have to leave the old plants in the existing bed and lift the new baby plants out and plant them in a raised trug.Come summer, it’ll be dogs vs birds for the...
    Now THAT is what I am expecting from our three labs, they love eating compost, so will have to leave the old plants in the existing bed and lift the new baby plants out and plant them in a raised...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Howard Stone

How do I protect a Buddleja colvilei in the winter?

Thank you gentlemen for these experienced and reassuring replies
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Kevin73

Armeria pseudarmeria 'Ballerina Red' problems

Great thanks will do!Yes agree not Red but pink
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. John Disdle

A strange year

I can't take any credit @John Disdle , apart from tagging our very obliging and clever FC... the magical bit is all down to him. I think he did it a couple of days ago for you.:)
    I can't take any credit @John Disdle , apart from tagging our very obliging and clever FC... the magical bit is all down to him. I think he did it a couple of days ago for you.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Jack Sparrow

Poorly Aster

I didn't notice the bit about the bulbs. Yeah no way grow it in the same pot as bubs, that wont work very well.
    I didn't notice the bit about the bulbs. Yeah no way grow it in the same pot as bubs, that wont work very well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. shiney

What's Looking Good In September 2021

October Thread HereWhat's Looking Good In October 2021
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. hailbopp

How long to leave bare rooted saplings out of the ground

I put an advert on Facebook Marketplace asking for a few pounds for the trees. Happy days sold 20 of the biggest today at £5 each, giving the money to a charity I support.:). only got to find homes...
    I put an advert on Facebook Marketplace asking for a few pounds for the trees. Happy days sold 20 of the biggest today at £5 each, giving the money to a charity I support.:). only got to find homes for another 180 odd!
    I put an advert on Facebook Marketplace asking for a few pounds for the trees. Happy days sold 20 of the biggest today at £5 each, giving the money to a charity I support.:). only got to find homes for another 180 odd!
    I put an advert on Facebook Marketplace asking for a few pounds for the trees. Happy days sold 20 of the biggest today at £5 each, giving the money to a charity I support.:). only got to find homes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. clum111

How to protect this year's dahlia cuttings?

Thanks @pete I'll do that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. lowrider69

winter cherry Solanum

Solanum pseudocapsicumThis isn't mine but it has been under my care since late 2019.It is growing in a tall dustbin outdoors 24x7x365.As pete mentions, they can take some cold weather and...
    Solanum pseudocapsicumThis isn't mine but it has been under my care since late 2019.It is growing in a tall dustbin outdoors 24x7x365.As pete mentions, they can take some cold weather and frosts but all of the branches will die back to the trunk.
    Solanum pseudocapsicumThis isn't mine but it has been under my care since late 2019.It is growing in a tall dustbin outdoors 24x7x365.As pete mentions, they can take some cold weather and frosts but all of the branches will die back to...
    Solanum pseudocapsicumThis isn't mine but it has been under my care since late 2019.It is growing in a tall dustbin outdoors 24x7x365.As pete mentions, they can take some cold weather and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Loofah
    Like x 6

The Walipini Project (aka greenhouse shenanigans)

Finally got round to putting a cover on what's left of the greenhouse
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. hailbopp

Moss killer

I see. Scarfliers are adjustable but I wouldn't use one and such a surface it will just make more mess. Its sounds like a rake job and shake off the rubber bits off. The moss will still be there...
    I see. Scarfliers are adjustable but I wouldn't use one and such a surface it will just make more mess. Its sounds like a rake job and shake off the rubber bits off. The moss will still be there if moss killer is applied it will just be a different colour so still will require removing.
    I see. Scarfliers are adjustable but I wouldn't use one and such a surface it will just make more mess. Its sounds like a rake job and shake off the rubber bits off. The moss will still be there if moss killer is applied it will just be a...
    I see. Scarfliers are adjustable but I wouldn't use one and such a surface it will just make more mess. Its sounds like a rake job and shake off the rubber bits off. The moss will still be there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. youngalistai

Tibouchina advice problems

Tibuchina problems
    Tibuchina problems
    Tibuchina problems
    Tibuchina problems
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. Selleri

Spring bulbs 2022

I would certainly recommend Ixia paniculata 'Eos'............ Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on FlickrIt is a late spring bloomer and hardy............. Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on...
    I would certainly recommend Ixia paniculata 'Eos'............ Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on FlickrIt is a late spring bloomer and hardy............. Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on Flickr
    I would certainly recommend Ixia paniculata 'Eos'............ Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on FlickrIt is a late spring bloomer and hardy............. Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on Flickr
    I would certainly recommend Ixia paniculata 'Eos'............ Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on FlickrIt is a late spring bloomer and hardy............. Ixia paniculata 'Eos' by longk48, on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Sienna's Blossom
    Like x 6

Our New Garden :)

Great to see, such a good start for the new home and memories
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. Glynne Williams

Tomatoes for 2021

Re my Medwyn Williams sourced tomato seeds. Both produced, for me, the most INCREDIBLE crops! Best ever! Can't eat raw Tom's though cooked ones fine. So NO BLIGHT, Crimson Crush guaranteed blight...
    Re my Medwyn Williams sourced tomato seeds. Both produced, for me, the most INCREDIBLE crops! Best ever! Can't eat raw Tom's though cooked ones fine. So NO BLIGHT, Crimson Crush guaranteed blight free! Ddraig goch an exhibition variety (I never exhibit!) And produced huge trusses (average 7) of...
    Re my Medwyn Williams sourced tomato seeds. Both produced, for me, the most INCREDIBLE crops! Best ever! Can't eat raw Tom's though cooked ones fine. So NO BLIGHT, Crimson Crush guaranteed blight free! Ddraig goch an exhibition variety (I never...
    Re my Medwyn Williams sourced tomato seeds. Both produced, for me, the most INCREDIBLE crops! Best ever! Can't eat raw Tom's though cooked ones fine. So NO BLIGHT, Crimson Crush guaranteed blight...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice