Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Me too, still potting on all those s****** cuttings. If anyone hears me say I going to strike another cutting please, please stop me!!
    Me too, still potting on all those s****** cuttings. If anyone hears me say I going to strike another cutting please, please stop me!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

What's Looking Good In April 2020

TulipsVinca minor in a hanging basketJetfirePin Eyed Primroses
    P1470710.JPG P1470745.JPG P1470748.JPG P1470714.JPG P1470722.JPG P1470721.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES 2020

Good job its got instructions for you to follow :heehee:
    upload_2020-1-21_21-59-39.png P1310991.JPG upload_2020-1-29_14-13-53.jpeg upload_2020-2-1_14-12-20.jpeg received_266826414294127.jpeg received_466667260696932.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. andrews
    Like x 6

Anyone Buying Seed For 2020 ?

I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings....
    I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings. I thought I was going to get nothing since it took so long. This is the picture of what it supposed...
    I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings. I thought I was going to get nothing since it...
    I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings....
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2020

@CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some...
    @CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some cuttings and left the parent plant outside, it was fine until we had a couple of frosts in February...
    @CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some cuttings and left the parent plant outside, it was...
    @CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY 2020

Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2020

Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up...
    Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up leaves recently. Also Papaver miyabeanum, P atlanticum and P apokrinomenon have germinated, these...
    Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up leaves recently. Also Papaver miyabeanum, P...
    Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS 2020

Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't...
    Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't seem to enjoy the changes in temperature. Hoping I can get them to limp through the back end of...
    Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't seem to enjoy the changes in temperature. Hoping I...
    Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2020

Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area would be nice. It all looks very nice in my head...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

DAY LILY - 2020

New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2020

Sad news for Salvia fans. Robin (Nibor) of Robin's Salvias passed away on Jan 2nd.
    Sad news for Salvia fans. Robin (Nibor) of Robin's Salvias passed away on Jan 2nd.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic turned up in two days and is looking great.
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    D404CC13-CEE2-4989-9F24-E4FE43B88B2A.jpeg upload_2019-8-23_10-8-49.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. Nikolaos

Does anyone here grow Aubrieta 'Red Carpet'?

Thanks @CarolineL, I totally forgot about that RHS colour index, glad you reminded me. :) I was hoping to grow three in small glazed terracotta pots to maximise the cascading effect since they don't...
    Thanks @CarolineL, I totally forgot about that RHS colour index, glad you reminded me. :) I was hoping to grow three in small glazed terracotta pots to maximise the cascading effect since they don't grow particularly wide. Yep, I noticed the same thing when doing a search, so much variation which...
    Thanks @CarolineL, I totally forgot about that RHS colour index, glad you reminded me. :) I was hoping to grow three in small glazed terracotta pots to maximise the cascading effect since they don't grow particularly wide. Yep, I noticed the same...
    Thanks @CarolineL, I totally forgot about that RHS colour index, glad you reminded me. :) I was hoping to grow three in small glazed terracotta pots to maximise the cascading effect since they don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. JWK
    Like x 3

Crown Imperials - feed now?

That has done well for a 27 year old plant! Must be your green fingers and well draining sandy soil.That's a lovely memory to treasure of you both shopping together too.
    That has done well for a 27 year old plant! Must be your green fingers and well draining sandy soil.That's a lovely memory to treasure of you both shopping together too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Fat Controller

Clay soil and general advice

Regarding the digging...Using a spade is prone to just slicing out chunks of clay and not really breaking it up. If you're working the soil over, I thoroughly recommend using a fork instead....
    Regarding the digging...Using a spade is prone to just slicing out chunks of clay and not really breaking it up. If you're working the soil over, I thoroughly recommend using a fork instead. You'll still need a spade for moving soil around but not for turning the soil over. Don't get a...
    Regarding the digging...Using a spade is prone to just slicing out chunks of clay and not really breaking it up. If you're working the soil over, I thoroughly recommend using a fork instead. You'll still need a spade for moving soil around but...
    Regarding the digging...Using a spade is prone to just slicing out chunks of clay and not really breaking it up. If you're working the soil over, I thoroughly recommend using a fork instead....
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

What weed is this?!

It could be Poplar. Try running your lawnmower over the lawn to pick them up. :)
    It could be Poplar. Try running your lawnmower over the lawn to pick them up. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. BarryC

Advice on low hedge choice?

Evergreen honeysuckle lonicera nitida is a good option for a low-growing, low-maintenance hedge. You also get a nice scent from the flowers around April-May, although the flowers themselves aren't...
    Evergreen honeysuckle lonicera nitida is a good option for a low-growing, low-maintenance hedge. You also get a nice scent from the flowers around April-May, although the flowers themselves aren't that visible.
    Evergreen honeysuckle lonicera nitida is a good option for a low-growing, low-maintenance hedge. You also get a nice scent from the flowers around April-May, although the flowers themselves aren't that visible.
    Evergreen honeysuckle lonicera nitida is a good option for a low-growing, low-maintenance hedge. You also get a nice scent from the flowers around April-May, although the flowers themselves aren't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Paul Brazier

Help with butterfly bush needed

I've seen healthy buddleias growing out of gaps in the brickwork in bridges, at least 5m from the ground. It'll take more than a bit of pruning to kill one!
    I've seen healthy buddleias growing out of gaps in the brickwork in bridges, at least 5m from the ground. It'll take more than a bit of pruning to kill one!
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Daisy Chain

Hosepipe connector for threaded outdoor tap

Thanks for your reply, Rusty. I decided to go with what I could find (in the shops) and bought a 'kit' for £1.29 from Pound Stretcher. When I got to my mum's I checked the fittings and fiddled...
    Thanks for your reply, Rusty. I decided to go with what I could find (in the shops) and bought a 'kit' for £1.29 from Pound Stretcher. When I got to my mum's I checked the fittings and fiddled about with the different ones. Five minutes' later, I realised that my hosepipe just fitted directly...
    Thanks for your reply, Rusty. I decided to go with what I could find (in the shops) and bought a 'kit' for £1.29 from Pound Stretcher. When I got to my mum's I checked the fittings and fiddled about with the different ones. Five minutes'...
    Thanks for your reply, Rusty. I decided to go with what I could find (in the shops) and bought a 'kit' for £1.29 from Pound Stretcher. When I got to my mum's I checked the fittings and fiddled...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. rustyroots

Found some bulbs in garage.

Get them in the ground!! Let them flower and die back and they should be fine as can be :)
    Get them in the ground!! Let them flower and die back and they should be fine as can be :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Kristen

Kristen's Project

Spent far too long trying to find photos of the Staging Benches when I posted the original ... and then of course I have now stumbled over them by accident ...I liked the simplicity of the...
    Spent far too long trying to find photos of the Staging Benches when I posted the original ... and then of course I have now stumbled over them by accident ...I liked the simplicity of the designTubes for "legs" anchored into the ground, and then an upside-down "U" shaped tube on top, with...
    Spent far too long trying to find photos of the Staging Benches when I posted the original ... and then of course I have now stumbled over them by accident ...I liked the simplicity of the designTubes for "legs" anchored into the ground,...
    Spent far too long trying to find photos of the Staging Benches when I posted the original ... and then of course I have now stumbled over them by accident ...I liked the simplicity of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Scotty2088

Who to purchase from online?

The nursery is local to me and to be honest the prices are high and the plant quality isn't the best, and garden furniture is unbelievably expensive, shame really I like to shop local where possible.
    The nursery is local to me and to be honest the prices are high and the plant quality isn't the best, and garden furniture is unbelievably expensive, shame really I like to shop local where possible.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. roders

Comfrey liquid.

Comfrey is growing by the roadside around here ,thanks to the wet winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Joseph Boyes

Cherry Laurel trees - leaf damage?

Yeah, I'm good at that ... my advice is worth precisely what you paid for it :) but I would like to hope that when I say something daft in a public forum someone else will post an alternative...
    Yeah, I'm good at that ... my advice is worth precisely what you paid for it :) but I would like to hope that when I say something daft in a public forum someone else will post an alternative suggestion. Plenty of learned people here know me well and would be forming an orderly queue to put me...
    Yeah, I'm good at that ... my advice is worth precisely what you paid for it :) but I would like to hope that when I say something daft in a public forum someone else will post an alternative suggestion. Plenty of learned people here know me well...
    Yeah, I'm good at that ... my advice is worth precisely what you paid for it :) but I would like to hope that when I say something daft in a public forum someone else will post an alternative...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Daisy Chain

Problem garden

Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. shiney

What's Looking good in March 2020

April's thread here What's Looking Good In April 2020
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Chrissmith1882

Planter advice complete novice !

Hi,Well you can have colour and herbs in there, though not sure about garlic bulbs, perhaps suited more to open ground.For herbs you want soil or compost but with at least 30% of added grit as...
    Hi,Well you can have colour and herbs in there, though not sure about garlic bulbs, perhaps suited more to open ground.For herbs you want soil or compost but with at least 30% of added grit as they like it on the free draining side and in a sunny spot.Chives will grow up and give nice...
    Hi,Well you can have colour and herbs in there, though not sure about garlic bulbs, perhaps suited more to open ground.For herbs you want soil or compost but with at least 30% of added grit as they like it on the free draining side and in a...
    Hi,Well you can have colour and herbs in there, though not sure about garlic bulbs, perhaps suited more to open ground.For herbs you want soil or compost but with at least 30% of added grit as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Kabous

Blank canvas - garden ideas

Hello All, well nothing happened since 2012. We decided to invest on other parts of the house and wait for the children to outgrow the ball and rough and tumble phase. Now we are ready to do...
    Hello All, well nothing happened since 2012. We decided to invest on other parts of the house and wait for the children to outgrow the ball and rough and tumble phase. Now we are ready to do this.We want some small evergreen trees and several shrubs/plants to provide variable height and all...
    Hello All, well nothing happened since 2012. We decided to invest on other parts of the house and wait for the children to outgrow the ball and rough and tumble phase. Now we are ready to do this.We want some small evergreen trees and several...
    Hello All, well nothing happened since 2012. We decided to invest on other parts of the house and wait for the children to outgrow the ball and rough and tumble phase. Now we are ready to do...
    lawn.JPG IMG-5293.JPG IMG-5297.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. millwall40

Where can I get Sodium Chlorate?

Good afternoon only my own personal opinnion but to me if a post regardless of its age contains informative and relevant information then it retained for future use;)
    Good afternoon only my own personal opinnion but to me if a post regardless of its age contains informative and relevant information then it retained for future use;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. andrews

Seed Supplier Websites

These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm...
    These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm suppliers, it looks like they're still running.
    These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm suppliers, it looks like they're still running.
    These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. GardeningFin

'Eggs' in pond - any idea what they are?

So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:...
    So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:I have a project to redo my pond as it has a leak and I need to empty it and lay a new liner, I'm...
    So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:I have a project to redo my pond as it has a leak...
    So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. wiseowl

PLug Plants Quandry

I think there would be a lot of confused people in the supermarket if Woo did that. :heehee:
    I think there would be a lot of confused people in the supermarket if Woo did that. :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice