Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Didn't rain much so picked a lot of plums, the Victoria plum tree has a lot of fruit this year.
    Didn't rain much so picked a lot of plums, the Victoria plum tree has a lot of fruit this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES 2020

Very nice, mazambo:love30::thumbsup: Saw you decided to buy "Limelight" when it was in the limelight:scratch::heehee:
    Very nice, mazambo:love30::thumbsup: Saw you decided to buy "Limelight" when it was in the limelight:scratch::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2020

To the above add : Royal Bumble (don't know how hardy here yet as original still in pot with half dozen cuttings - all flowering!) Buchanii. Most are still drying in their envelopes but there are...
    To the above add : Royal Bumble (don't know how hardy here yet as original still in pot with half dozen cuttings - all flowering!) Buchanii. Most are still drying in their envelopes but there are some seeds to be seen in all of them in the bottom amongst stalks! Can say that I'm proud of this...
    To the above add : Royal Bumble (don't know how hardy here yet as original still in pot with half dozen cuttings - all flowering!) Buchanii. Most are still drying in their envelopes but there are some seeds to be seen in all of them in the bottom...
    To the above add : Royal Bumble (don't know how hardy here yet as original still in pot with half dozen cuttings - all flowering!) Buchanii. Most are still drying in their envelopes but there are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Okay, you win! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS 2020

I can’t help you with the ‘rust’ (?), but I do think they do much better outside, with the fresh air.
    I can’t help you with the ‘rust’ (?), but I do think they do much better outside, with the fresh air.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    pot.JPG basket 1.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

DAY LILY - 2020

No, still very nice! I have just bought one this week - Blackberry something.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. andrews
    Like x 6

Anyone Buying Seed For 2020 ?

Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2020

@CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    @CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY 2020

The first of this year's early Bearded Iris
    Iris reticulata.JPG Crocus malyi.JPG Hesperantha coccinea.JPG Crocus sieberii Tricolour.JPG Gladiolus uysiae M.JPG Gladiolus uysiae.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2020

I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on...
    I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on the bottom shelf of some greenhouse staging covered with some fleece to keep the sun off for about a...
    I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on the bottom shelf of some greenhouse staging covered...
    I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Kristen

Kristen's Project

It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ARMANDII

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2020

Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area would be nice. It all looks very nice in my head...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  23.   » Normal Threads
  24. Vince
    Like x 6

The house I'm buying

I must apologise for my previous comment! When you have lived in a place most of your life you just don't see the beauty. Or it may be that when I was growing up I couldn't get away with anything...
    I must apologise for my previous comment! When you have lived in a place most of your life you just don't see the beauty. Or it may be that when I was growing up I couldn't get away with anything because your mum could always see you.... even if you were miles away! I lived in a small village...
    I must apologise for my previous comment! When you have lived in a place most of your life you just don't see the beauty. Or it may be that when I was growing up I couldn't get away with anything because your mum could always see you.... even if...
    I must apologise for my previous comment! When you have lived in a place most of your life you just don't see the beauty. Or it may be that when I was growing up I couldn't get away with anything...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. ThePlantAssassin

Miracle grow spray attachment query

Thank you. I'll try again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Graham_Bextor

Gooseberry - could it still be alive?

You could take a cutting off that and have two plants.P. S. All the time you were removing the top-growth the root system will have been growing stronger & bigger.
    You could take a cutting off that and have two plants.P. S. All the time you were removing the top-growth the root system will have been growing stronger & bigger.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. THOMAS BOLGER

Trimming

Clematis fall into three pruning categories (sheered to 30cm in March, short back and sides to tidy up or left to mostly get on with it), depending on whether they flower on new or old growth.
    Clematis fall into three pruning categories (sheered to 30cm in March, short back and sides to tidy up or left to mostly get on with it), depending on whether they flower on new or old growth.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Selleri

What to plant in difficult, dry corner?

Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird...
    Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird chicks fall into it's mouth. After I dug the pond I believe the cat fell in a few times before deciding...
    Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird chicks fall into it's mouth. After I dug the pond I...
    Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. TheWingco

What determines ratio of female to male flowers on fruiting plants?

Complete mismatch of male/female courgette flowers this year, I've been sharing male flowers with a neighbour, without which loads of female courgettes wouldn't have been pollinated.
    Complete mismatch of male/female courgette flowers this year, I've been sharing male flowers with a neighbour, without which loads of female courgettes wouldn't have been pollinated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Glynne Williams
    Like x 3

B-ware!! - great seedlings

Re: Chinese seedlings. Read article in the Guardian today. Seems lots of unsolicited packets of seeds arriving USA and Canada labelled 'ear studs' Mine were this (didn't include this!) One only...
    Re: Chinese seedlings. Read article in the Guardian today. Seems lots of unsolicited packets of seeds arriving USA and Canada labelled 'ear studs' Mine were this (didn't include this!) One only labelled what I'd ordered. However I was able to find my original orders if you remembered, but I've...
    Re: Chinese seedlings. Read article in the Guardian today. Seems lots of unsolicited packets of seeds arriving USA and Canada labelled 'ear studs' Mine were this (didn't include this!) One only labelled what I'd ordered. However I was able to...
    Re: Chinese seedlings. Read article in the Guardian today. Seems lots of unsolicited packets of seeds arriving USA and Canada labelled 'ear studs' Mine were this (didn't include this!) One only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. wiseowl
    Like x 13

What's Looking Good in July 2020

Sorry @NigelJ , just reading back and I realised you had answered all those questions in an earlier post:doh::biggrin:
    Sorry @NigelJ , just reading back and I realised you had answered all those questions in an earlier post:doh::biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. ThePlantAssassin

What gardening gloves?

I always use scaffolders' gloves, from Quickfix. A scaffolder once gave me a pack of 10 pairs and I wouldn't be without them now...bramble proof, long lasting.
    I always use scaffolders' gloves, from Quickfix. A scaffolder once gave me a pack of 10 pairs and I wouldn't be without them now...bramble proof, long lasting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Sarah Eley

Amaryllis leaves...what now?

Its only a young bulb and it flowered for the first time this year. Grown from offsets from a larger bulb which I dont have anymore.
    Its only a young bulb and it flowered for the first time this year. Grown from offsets from a larger bulb which I dont have anymore.
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. clanless

Marigolds - dead heading - confused dot com

I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so...
    I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so are often sterile.
    I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so are often sterile.
    I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Jasmine star

Repotting Calla lily

Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a...
    Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a couple of months. They wouldn't survive in my borders either so they'll have to stay in a pot :blue thumb:
    Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a couple of months. They wouldn't survive in my...
    Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. HarryS

Rabbit Resistant Shrub etc. ?

@shiney Now that is a lovely plant, I may get one myself!:blue thumb: I presume when you say popular, you mean with the gardener and not the rabbits? :biggrin:
    @shiney Now that is a lovely plant, I may get one myself!:blue thumb: I presume when you say popular, you mean with the gardener and not the rabbits? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. The Buddleja Garden

Have you seen this Buddleja?

I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is...
    I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is wrong, as it doesn't mention the Buddleja at all.I have a plant labelled B. limitanea, origin...
    I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is wrong, as it doesn't mention the Buddleja at all.I...
    I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. bluepeter

Azaleas: how far apart?

As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also...
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also Dwarf White, depending on the answer to my question). Thompson & Morgan have them listed here and here....
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also Dwarf White, depending on the answer to my question)....
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. ThePlantAssassin

Bark or Manure?

Probably some time in the future, similar comments may be given.
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Scrungee
    Informative x 4

Dangerous Courgettes!

I wonder if there's any link with bitter cucumbers? I had to bin 3 plants this year that were consistently producing bitter fruit, despite taking off male flowers...
    I wonder if there's any link with bitter cucumbers? I had to bin 3 plants this year that were consistently producing bitter fruit, despite taking off male flowers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Liam brooks

Turf turning yellow

Dog pee always kills grass in summer, in winter the rain and wet soil dilutes it. Follow the dog round with a bucket of water. :biggrin:
    Dog pee always kills grass in summer, in winter the rain and wet soil dilutes it. Follow the dog round with a bucket of water. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. Emaggie

A Tale of Woe...

Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter...
    Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter (lost all my delphiniums) then a glorious spring then saharan conditions in summer probably did it. If...
    Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter (lost all my delphiniums) then a glorious spring...
    Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. ricky101

Marigolds, Whitefly and Tomatoes ?

Re @strongylodon , think its time free up the bench space to put the Marigolds into the borders !Did a greenhouse clean up the other week and been spraying all the plants, mainly Fuchsias, with...
    Re @strongylodon , think its time free up the bench space to put the Marigolds into the borders !Did a greenhouse clean up the other week and been spraying all the plants, mainly Fuchsias, with SB Plant Invigorator to try and rid the Whitefly and a Spider Mite outbreak.Always a bit...
    Re @strongylodon , think its time free up the bench space to put the Marigolds into the borders !Did a greenhouse clean up the other week and been spraying all the plants, mainly Fuchsias, with SB Plant Invigorator to try and rid the Whitefly...
    Re @strongylodon , think its time free up the bench space to put the Marigolds into the borders !Did a greenhouse clean up the other week and been spraying all the plants, mainly Fuchsias, with...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice