You're more than welcome, Mike:love30::thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

What's Looking Good In October 2020

Hollyhock Chaters Double. Flowering early, bought as small plug-plants in Spring this year. Meant to flower next year
    Hollyhock Chaters Double. Flowering early, bought as small plug-plants in Spring this year. Meant to flower next year
    IMG_20201001_144445_hdr.jpg IMG_20201001_144512_hdr.jpg IMG_20201001_145849_hdr.jpg IMG_20201001_144547_hdr.jpg IMG_20201001_145153_hdr.jpg IMG_20201001_145205_hdr.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Assembled my garden trolley.Watched a youtube video titled "how to assemble a garden trolley in 15 minutes"Then took 1hr 30mins putting it together.
    Assembled my garden trolley.Watched a youtube video titled "how to assemble a garden trolley in 15 minutes"Then took 1hr 30mins putting it together.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2020

Thanks Mike. I've grown a lot of Lobelia in the past so these shouldn't be a problem. :)
    Thanks Mike. I've grown a lot of Lobelia in the past so these shouldn't be a problem. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2020

Salvia minata Salvia sagittataSalvia elegansSalvia corrugataSalvia curviflora Salvia microphylla "Cerro Potosi" Salvia involuctra Salvia forreri Salvia microphylla wislizeni ...
    Salvia minata Salvia sagittataSalvia elegansSalvia corrugataSalvia curviflora Salvia microphylla "Cerro Potosi" Salvia involuctra Salvia forreri Salvia microphylla wislizeni Salvia coccinea Salvia arizonica
    Salvia minata Salvia sagittataSalvia elegansSalvia corrugataSalvia curviflora Salvia microphylla "Cerro Potosi" Salvia involuctra Salvia forreri Salvia microphylla wislizeni Salvia coccinea Salvia arizonica
    Salvia minata Salvia sagittataSalvia elegansSalvia corrugataSalvia curviflora Salvia microphylla "Cerro Potosi" Salvia involuctra Salvia forreri Salvia microphylla wislizeni ...
    Salvia guaranitica.JPG Salvia corrugata.JPG Salvia Amisted 2.JPG Salvia involucrata 2.JPG Salvia guaranitica 3.JPG Salvia greggii seedlimg.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

DAY LILY - 2020

I know I shouldn't have picked up on this thread! It's very catching this Day Lily theme ,
    I know I shouldn't have picked up on this thread! It's very catching this Day Lily theme ,
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY 2020

Gladiolus candidus.
    Gladiolus candidus.
    Gladiolus candidus.
    Gladiolus candidus.
    Iris reticulata.JPG Crocus malyi.JPG Hesperantha coccinea.JPG Crocus sieberii Tricolour.JPG Gladiolus uysiae M.JPG Gladiolus uysiae.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Thanks, will check them out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS 2020

I can’t help you with the ‘rust’ (?), but I do think they do much better outside, with the fresh air.
    I can’t help you with the ‘rust’ (?), but I do think they do much better outside, with the fresh air.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    pot.JPG basket 1.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. andrews
    Like x 6

Anyone Buying Seed For 2020 ?

Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2020

@CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    @CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kristen

Kristen's Project

It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ARMANDII

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2020

Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area would be nice. It all looks very nice in my head...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. HarryS

Wildflower mix, care?

Due to problems obtaining bedding plants during the lockdown, I purchased some wildflower mix seed packets. The second batch I scattered in June have been amazing the Corn marigolds are still...
    Due to problems obtaining bedding plants during the lockdown, I purchased some wildflower mix seed packets. The second batch I scattered in June have been amazing the Corn marigolds are still stunning in late October :blue thumb: Now the first batch I planted have mainly all gone over, are the late...
    Due to problems obtaining bedding plants during the lockdown, I purchased some wildflower mix seed packets. The second batch I scattered in June have been amazing the Corn marigolds are still stunning in late October :blue thumb: Now the first batch I...
    Due to problems obtaining bedding plants during the lockdown, I purchased some wildflower mix seed packets. The second batch I scattered in June have been amazing the Corn marigolds are still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Howard Stone

Please recommend me a bamboo cutting/thinning tool.

Excellent. Ordered!
    Excellent. Ordered!
    Excellent. Ordered!
    Excellent. Ordered!
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. 2nd_bassoon
    Like x 3

What should I grow against my south-facing wall?

NO!!!!!! Annuals so you have to replant every year and you probably need to do it in Autumn in a cold frame to get reliably good results; they look crap in the late summer, they disappear in...
    NO!!!!!! Annuals so you have to replant every year and you probably need to do it in Autumn in a cold frame to get reliably good results; they look crap in the late summer, they disappear in winter and there's not much to see in spring.PROBABLY NO!!!!!! If you go this route choose very...
    NO!!!!!! Annuals so you have to replant every year and you probably need to do it in Autumn in a cold frame to get reliably good results; they look crap in the late summer, they disappear in winter and there's not much to see in...
    NO!!!!!! Annuals so you have to replant every year and you probably need to do it in Autumn in a cold frame to get reliably good results; they look crap in the late summer, they disappear in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Loofah

MDPE pipe?

Actually just seen this MDPE Pipe 32mm x 25m so 32mm is suddenly even easier.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. The Wizard

Thuja Plicata brown/dead patches

I've grown a thuja hedge for the last 7 years and until recently it's been growing strong and healthy. Then about 6 months ago I noticed some of the scales were turning black on one small part of...
    I've grown a thuja hedge for the last 7 years and until recently it's been growing strong and healthy. Then about 6 months ago I noticed some of the scales were turning black on one small part of my hedge in the middle right near the lower part.Over the past few months this seems to have...
    I've grown a thuja hedge for the last 7 years and until recently it's been growing strong and healthy. Then about 6 months ago I noticed some of the scales were turning black on one small part of my hedge in the middle right near the lower part....
    I've grown a thuja hedge for the last 7 years and until recently it's been growing strong and healthy. Then about 6 months ago I noticed some of the scales were turning black on one small part of...
    96672-1.jpg 96671-2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Graham B

Don't look at your old house on Google Earth

Hey @Graham B , thanks :frown: I had a look at my childhood paradise, a large plot lovingly cultivated by my grandparents and later on, by me. Full of flowers, true cottage style where you have to weave...
    Hey @Graham B , thanks :frown: I had a look at my childhood paradise, a large plot lovingly cultivated by my grandparents and later on, by me. Full of flowers, true cottage style where you have to weave your way past the flowers on the narrow paths, a riot of colours with veg tucked in...This is...
    Hey @Graham B , thanks :frown: I had a look at my childhood paradise, a large plot lovingly cultivated by my grandparents and later on, by me. Full of flowers, true cottage style where you have to weave your way past the flowers on the narrow paths, a...
    Hey @Graham B , thanks :frown: I had a look at my childhood paradise, a large plot lovingly cultivated by my grandparents and later on, by me. Full of flowers, true cottage style where you have to weave...
    upload_2020-10-17_13-56-52.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Nikolaos
    Like x 3

Which Is Your Favourite Garden?

I like Dewstow because it's quirky and totally original in its design.From visiting it as a kid, I'll always remember Stourhead.
    I like Dewstow because it's quirky and totally original in its design.From visiting it as a kid, I'll always remember Stourhead.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

HUMMING AND HARRING ABOUT A GARDEN STATUE/ORNAMENT

Can you get a slightly smaller version for your garden? :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. LinG

Echium Pininana

Yes I had lots of seedlings appear - I have a mainly gravel garden and pulled most out but I have left a few in place just to see what happens.Well the temporary cover sounds like the answer...
    Yes I had lots of seedlings appear - I have a mainly gravel garden and pulled most out but I have left a few in place just to see what happens.Well the temporary cover sounds like the answer then and fingers crossed we don't have another beast from the east descend on us down here. Thanks...
    Yes I had lots of seedlings appear - I have a mainly gravel garden and pulled most out but I have left a few in place just to see what happens.Well the temporary cover sounds like the answer then and fingers crossed we don't have another beast...
    Yes I had lots of seedlings appear - I have a mainly gravel garden and pulled most out but I have left a few in place just to see what happens.Well the temporary cover sounds like the answer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. ennnceee

Yellow leaves on Skimmia

Thanks for that, will do.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. SimonZ

Planting Heathers

Thanks Mike.
    Thanks Mike.
    Thanks Mike.
    Thanks Mike.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Sienna's Blossom

If you have honeysuckle in your garden

Thank you @Sienna's Blossom. :) This particular honeysuckle only grows to approximately 15ft so the trellis won't have to cope with too much weight.They are plants that don't need a lot of fuss...
    Thank you @Sienna's Blossom. :) This particular honeysuckle only grows to approximately 15ft so the trellis won't have to cope with too much weight.They are plants that don't need a lot of fuss as FC has found out, and worthwhile when we gain not only the flowers but the lovely, sweet scent too.
    Thank you @Sienna's Blossom. :) This particular honeysuckle only grows to approximately 15ft so the trellis won't have to cope with too much weight.They are plants that don't need a lot of fuss as FC has found out, and worthwhile when we gain...
    Thank you @Sienna's Blossom. :) This particular honeysuckle only grows to approximately 15ft so the trellis won't have to cope with too much weight.They are plants that don't need a lot of fuss...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

That's okay, I thought that's what you meant. :)A play on words there, hoping everything goes "smoothly". :)
    That's okay, I thought that's what you meant. :)A play on words there, hoping everything goes "smoothly". :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. JamesGS
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. LS15

Perlite / Vermiculite in a small flower bed?

This probably seems contradictive but perlite holds moisture and also allows for good drainage so would probably be a good additive in your situation.
    This probably seems contradictive but perlite holds moisture and also allows for good drainage so would probably be a good additive in your situation.
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Fat Controller

2021 - What are we planting?

Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I...
    Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I promised myself I'd simmer down and not get carried away..It's not going to happen is it...:doh::biggrin:
    Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I promised myself I'd simmer down and not get carried...
    Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Janet mahay
    Like x 3

Potatoes by trees did well

I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted...
    I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted down in it. I think the very old idea of having a fallow patch was a good one.
    I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted down in it. I think the very old idea of having a...
    I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN SEPTEMBER 2020

My Encianthus after the rain today.
    DSCF4062.jpg DSCF4066.jpg DSCF4069.jpg DSCF4082.jpg DSCF4122.jpg DSCF4125.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. SimonZ

Campanula

I don't have any. I rely entirely on nature, apart from watering in dry spells.
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. SimonZ

Perovskia "Blue Spire."

While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the...
    While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the rock, and placed it as a support in front of the stalks, and am wondering if the clump will revive.
    While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the rock, and placed it as a support in front of the...
    While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the...
    DSCF0266.JPG DSCF2734.JPG DSCF2735.JPG DSCF2149.JPG DSCF2136.JPG DSCF2137.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice