General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

I’ve done nothing much today - just fished some leaves out of the pond, which was a pleasant, if cold 30-minute task... :autlvs:
    I’ve done nothing much today - just fished some leaves out of the pond, which was a pleasant, if cold 30-minute task... :autlvs:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Yeah! I know. I wanted the variegated leaves as I'm going to pot them up for home and work. Also they don't grow that big so would be perfect for what I have in mind.
    Yeah! I know. I wanted the variegated leaves as I'm going to pot them up for home and work. Also they don't grow that big so would be perfect for what I have in mind.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 9

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN NOVEMBER 19

Good afternoon this is my Fatsia Japonica,romping away this year now 7 feet tall and lots of seeds
    Good afternoon this is my Fatsia Japonica,romping away this year now 7 feet tall and lots of seeds
    upload_2019-11-2_20-45-48.png 87E81C99-EBAE-47D0-B2F1-2F00C67C2C56.jpeg IMG_3935.JPG IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3946.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

@CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones can get battered with the weather. The C laevigatus does better with the weather, being a bit smaller...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones can get battered with the weather. The C laevigatus...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NigelJ
    Like x 5

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia corrugataSalvia miniata Salvia coccineaSalvia atrocyanea Salvia "Amistad"
    Salvia corrugataSalvia miniata Salvia coccineaSalvia atrocyanea Salvia "Amistad"
    Salvia corrugata.JPG Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue.JPG Salvia curviflora.JPG Salvia Amisted.JPG P1080233.jpg P1080234.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. lowrider69

SOWING SEEDS 2019?

Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic turned up in two days and is looking great.
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    D404CC13-CEE2-4989-9F24-E4FE43B88B2A.jpeg upload_2019-8-23_10-8-49.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and then planted them out in one of our newly created...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    DSCF1427.JPG Red Twister 2014.jpg octopus hugs 2014 002.JPG 002.JPG Planet Max 2014.jpg one hot mama 2015 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing, thinking that every Spring I can reuse the basket...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing,...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring property. So it's really shaded already. I want it...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  19.   » Normal Threads
  20. miraflores

Winter shrub/bush/tree for front garden.

What would you suggest?
    What would you suggest?
    What would you suggest?
    What would you suggest?
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Pilsburypie

Drive/front garden planting

Hi,You have some good sized beds to go at, but what is your general preference, grasses, flowers, evergreen shrubs, conifers ?What may affect your planting is which direction is South ?Also...
    Hi,You have some good sized beds to go at, but what is your general preference, grasses, flowers, evergreen shrubs, conifers ?What may affect your planting is which direction is South ?Also the bed agaist the house wall, is part of that the house entrance? and any room for climbers like...
    Hi,You have some good sized beds to go at, but what is your general preference, grasses, flowers, evergreen shrubs, conifers ?What may affect your planting is which direction is South ?Also the bed agaist the house wall, is part of that...
    Hi,You have some good sized beds to go at, but what is your general preference, grasses, flowers, evergreen shrubs, conifers ?What may affect your planting is which direction is South ?Also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. SimonZ

Advice on this succulent

Sad, sad oldie am I. Have you thought about visiting your local garden center. I am sure you will find a display of popular cacti and succulents. Just a thought.
    Sad, sad oldie am I. Have you thought about visiting your local garden center. I am sure you will find a display of popular cacti and succulents. Just a thought.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Palustris

What to grow?

I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer...
    I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer connected to the ground. First time I have ever had this happen with plants in the garden. Really...
    I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer connected to the ground. First time I have ever had...
    I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. nightofjoy

Disguising an unsightly composter

I'd go for willow whips,cheap as chips .:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. TheMadHedger

Fencing wire and birds

Thanks for the replies, that's very reassuring. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. CarolineL
    Like x 9

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN DECEMBER 19

Not in my garden, just out on a walk... Spindles in full berry
    AnisodonteaDec2.jpg IpheionDec2.jpg SpindleBerries2Sm.jpg SpindleBerriesSm.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Retired
    Like x 3

Clearing wet leaves.

Are those dimensions correct? The description says the blade is 42cm x 31cm. Seems like a convenient size for lifting a shovel full withiut breaking your back :)
    Are those dimensions correct? The description says the blade is 42cm x 31cm. Seems like a convenient size for lifting a shovel full withiut breaking your back :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. SimonZ

General Astrancia advice?

Hi Simon, in case of Astrantia I would just deadhead them and not cut them down to the ground. They're one of my favourite plants being so reliable, I just wish they were in more colours!!
    Hi Simon, in case of Astrantia I would just deadhead them and not cut them down to the ground. They're one of my favourite plants being so reliable, I just wish they were in more colours!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Sienna's Blossom
    Like x 5

What would you look for in a new garden if you moved house?

It was @Sienna's Blossom , only sadly being a child I didn't fully appreciate it. Love to have one now though .:)
    It was @Sienna's Blossom , only sadly being a child I didn't fully appreciate it. Love to have one now though .:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. mint

Curry leaf plant identification

Hi, Thank you, i have sent you a message.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. miraflores

growing medium

It would be for growing plants from seeds or rooting of cuttings.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Nikolaos

Garden weeds - a new approach to make your life easier?

@Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum....
    @Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum. I find that the smell of robertianum is quite variable and not unpleasant.
    @Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum. I find that the smell of robertianum is quite...
    @Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum....
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. RandyRos

Need advice on choosing a shrub pls

Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had...
    Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had a 10ft forsythia growing out of a tiny bed on top of the main drain manhole, and that didn't seem to...
    Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had a 10ft forsythia growing out of a tiny bed on top...
    Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Nikolaos

Overwintering plants in a greenhouse

This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find ourselves perhaps underestimating the plants ability to withstand the traumas of life. I wonder. ...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find ourselves perhaps underestimating the plants ability...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Perki
    Like x 17

Whats Looking Good in October 2019

Christmas Cactus. Parent and younger sibling.
    DSC00917.JPG DSC00920.JPG DSC00921.JPG DSC00923.JPG DSC00924.JPG DSC00930.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. noisette47

Onion sets..a cry for help!

Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be...
    Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be lurking somewhere around in France, you know we will be wanting some..... :biggrin:
    Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be lurking somewhere around in France, you know we will...
    Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. gardening lassie

Planting suggestions under tree

Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing section maybe go for lavender, helianthemum, dianthus, bulbous things like alliums, dwarf irises,...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing section maybe go for lavender, helianthemum,...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. fjordaan

When to plant lavender, and how close together?

Oh, I knew that, Caroline:love30:. It was just that I thought it needed clarifying so that fjordaan, didn't make the mistake that some of my friends did of cutting back the Lavender too far:dunno:
    Oh, I knew that, Caroline:love30:. It was just that I thought it needed clarifying so that fjordaan, didn't make the mistake that some of my friends did of cutting back the Lavender too far:dunno:
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Craigy16ed

Spring flowering bulbs

Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and dividing plant a little further apart than suggested then it takes longer to get to that point. I...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and dividing plant a little further apart than...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice