1. Forum News
    VOTING IS NOW OPEN FOR THE SEPTEMBER MONTHLY COMP ( last one for a while) and ALSO THE 30 DAY COMP.., Photo Competitions Are Changing!
    Please Support The Road Verge Campaign!
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Began planting up the raised bed this morning. More smaller agave to be planted once the grit arrives.1 3/4 bulk bags of grit and a bulk bag of soil later and it still needs more. I think that...
    Began planting up the raised bed this morning. More smaller agave to be planted once the grit arrives.1 3/4 bulk bags of grit and a bulk bag of soil later and it still needs more. I think that Ive used more than I expected as the soil has filled the gaps between the grit.Ive ordered two...
    Began planting up the raised bed this morning. More smaller agave to be planted once the grit arrives.1 3/4 bulk bags of grit and a bulk bag of soil later and it still needs more. I think that Ive used more than I expected as the soil has...
    Began planting up the raised bed this morning. More smaller agave to be planted once the grit arrives.1 3/4 bulk bags of grit and a bulk bag of soil later and it still needs more. I think that...
    1450094950_5368.jpg P1310266.JPG newpots.JPG Lithopsgoingskandi.JPG thesmallone.JPG semprevivenspot.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Just added Peonies........."Blaze"Inspector Lavergne and a second Duchess of NemoursThat'll bring the collection in the garden to around a dozen:heehee:
    Just added Peonies........."Blaze"Inspector Lavergne and a second Duchess of NemoursThat'll bring the collection in the garden to around a dozen:heehee:
    ostokset.JPG 20190113_113423.jpg DSC_0919.jpg DSC_0920.jpg 070A75CC-7E4F-4034-BAE1-543B0B507FAE.jpeg 20190121_153822.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Perki
    Like x 17

Whats Looking Good in October 2019

Ours are already finished and on the bonfire heap :sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

I have decided to start a collection of Iris. Browsing the web pages and catalogues, there are some beatiful flowers to be had.
    I have decided to start a collection of Iris. Browsing the web pages and catalogues, there are some beatiful flowers to be had.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NigelJ
    Like x 5

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia corrugataSalvia miniata Salvia coccineaSalvia atrocyanea Salvia "Amistad"
    Salvia corrugataSalvia miniata Salvia coccineaSalvia atrocyanea Salvia "Amistad"
    Salvia corrugata.JPG Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue.JPG Salvia curviflora.JPG Salvia Amisted.JPG P1080233.jpg P1080234.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. lowrider69

SOWING SEEDS 2019?

Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic turned up in two days and is looking great.
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    D404CC13-CEE2-4989-9F24-E4FE43B88B2A.jpeg upload_2019-8-23_10-8-49.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and then planted them out in one of our newly created...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    DSCF1427.JPG Red Twister 2014.jpg octopus hugs 2014 002.JPG 002.JPG Planet Max 2014.jpg one hot mama 2015 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing, thinking that every Spring I can reuse the basket...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing,...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring property. So it's really shaded already. I want it...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  19.   » Normal Threads
  20. Sienna's Blossom

Self sown apple tree

I would move it and sow the tree where it will be in no one' way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. luciusmaximus

Pruning a large Hebe

The best time to prune a Hebe is after it has flowered,..however your circumstances are different,..they seldom need a lot of pruning but best to keep them in some sort of shape rather than...
    The best time to prune a Hebe is after it has flowered,..however your circumstances are different,..they seldom need a lot of pruning but best to keep them in some sort of shape rather than scraggy,..early Spring is a good time as well,..with very cold Winters its best to have any pruning done...
    The best time to prune a Hebe is after it has flowered,..however your circumstances are different,..they seldom need a lot of pruning but best to keep them in some sort of shape rather than scraggy,..early Spring is a good time as well,..with...
    The best time to prune a Hebe is after it has flowered,..however your circumstances are different,..they seldom need a lot of pruning but best to keep them in some sort of shape rather than...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. guyloup

Dahlias for cutflowers. Sizes of them

@guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by type, colour, height and bloom size. I’ve randomly checked some of the dahlias on your list and...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by type, colour, height and bloom size. I’ve...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Jack Sparrow

Heather

Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established and needs cutting back as it gets a bit out of hand. It flowers from mid-October to April.Picture...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established and needs cutting back as it gets a bit out of...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established...
    DSCN0952[1].JPG P1410377.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

A lot of people, Kevin, have called me different names during my lifetime:hate-shocked::dunno::heehee:Yes, please keep this thread alive as a lot of people have enjoyed it.:thumbsup:
    A lot of people, Kevin, have called me different names during my lifetime:hate-shocked::dunno::heehee:Yes, please keep this thread alive as a lot of people have enjoyed it.:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. wiseowl
    Like x 7

Whats Looking Good In September

Thanks Sheal ;)
    Thanks Sheal ;)
    Thanks Sheal ;)
    Thanks Sheal ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Perki

Replace Grapevine with Seedless variety ?

Deacons Nursery also have Canadice and Interlaken which are white seedless, or Himrod which they recommend
    Deacons Nursery also have Canadice and Interlaken which are white seedless, or Himrod which they recommend
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Upsydaisy

Foolproof way please!!

Hiya @Mike Allen ...After many unsuccessful sowings I did what it said on the packet (Re Fluctuating temps) and for once it worked..:thumbsup: I don't have much luck with self sown plants,if it's not the...
    Hiya @Mike Allen ...After many unsuccessful sowings I did what it said on the packet (Re Fluctuating temps) and for once it worked..:thumbsup: I don't have much luck with self sown plants,if it's not the soggy winters it's my chooks that make a meal of them so all of my sowings of any plants are done 'out...
    Hiya @Mike Allen ...After many unsuccessful sowings I did what it said on the packet (Re Fluctuating temps) and for once it worked..:thumbsup: I don't have much luck with self sown plants,if it's not the soggy winters it's my chooks that make a meal of...
    Hiya @Mike Allen ...After many unsuccessful sowings I did what it said on the packet (Re Fluctuating temps) and for once it worked..:thumbsup: I don't have much luck with self sown plants,if it's not the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Tom Radford

Vertical Garden

I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible...
    I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible fruits to grow.
    I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible fruits to grow.
    I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Soys

Urgent pear tree help needed :)

Thats the thing iv looked but there really hard to find :( that would defo be my easiest option
    Thats the thing iv looked but there really hard to find :( that would defo be my easiest option
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Scott2019

Anyone know what this is?

Thank you everyone, I’ve looked it up and I’d agree it looks like worm casts.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Spruce

Autumn Lawn time , who is doing what

:autlvs:until January. ton of leaves fall here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. miraflores

growing medium

Also depends on what you are growing ? Sphagnum is often used in things like orchids where moisture retention is required.
    Also depends on what you are growing ? Sphagnum is often used in things like orchids where moisture retention is required.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. ricky101

Anemone Du Cane - in Pots

Thanks @longk ,Will plant the other packet now with a lot more sand in the mix and see if they fair any better.
    Thanks @longk ,Will plant the other packet now with a lot more sand in the mix and see if they fair any better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Jack Sparrow

Mahonia Caberet

@Jack Sparrow conflicting advice i know but having googled "do mahonia grow in shade" there are a few sites that suggest they do, maybe it would be worth a try.
    @Jack Sparrow conflicting advice i know but having googled "do mahonia grow in shade" there are a few sites that suggest they do, maybe it would be worth a try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. ennnceee

Green Beefmaster tomatoes!

At the end of the season I used to find cutting the plant off at ground level and hanging it up in a dry shed was a good way of ripening any green fruits. They still get a bit of sap from the...
    At the end of the season I used to find cutting the plant off at ground level and hanging it up in a dry shed was a good way of ripening any green fruits. They still get a bit of sap from the stem that way for a bit longer.
    At the end of the season I used to find cutting the plant off at ground level and hanging it up in a dry shed was a good way of ripening any green fruits. They still get a bit of sap from the stem that way for a bit longer.
    At the end of the season I used to find cutting the plant off at ground level and hanging it up in a dry shed was a good way of ripening any green fruits. They still get a bit of sap from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Loofah

The quiet green tax..?

I read an article about this elsewhere, where it disclosed that some local authorities are making a big profit out of this (but are not proposing to pay gardeners for supplying them with their...
    I read an article about this elsewhere, where it disclosed that some local authorities are making a big profit out of this (but are not proposing to pay gardeners for supplying them with their valuable garden waste).
    I read an article about this elsewhere, where it disclosed that some local authorities are making a big profit out of this (but are not proposing to pay gardeners for supplying them with their valuable garden waste).
    I read an article about this elsewhere, where it disclosed that some local authorities are making a big profit out of this (but are not proposing to pay gardeners for supplying them with their...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. noisette47

Zinnia seed

Didn't bother this year with zinnia the slugs usually make a meal of them, I dont know if they come true but they may do if that's the only variety you grow
    Didn't bother this year with zinnia the slugs usually make a meal of them, I dont know if they come true but they may do if that's the only variety you grow
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. James Sheffield

Seamless Slatted Fences

I've fitted them myself above ground for front garden, but we had professionals do the back garden and they reckoned it doesn't matter. Since the rot happens at ground level, the rest of the post...
    I've fitted them myself above ground for front garden, but we had professionals do the back garden and they reckoned it doesn't matter. Since the rot happens at ground level, the rest of the post above ground will still be mostly OK. And putting post and spur in the ground together makes it...
    I've fitted them myself above ground for front garden, but we had professionals do the back garden and they reckoned it doesn't matter. Since the rot happens at ground level, the rest of the post above ground will still be mostly OK. And putting...
    I've fitted them myself above ground for front garden, but we had professionals do the back garden and they reckoned it doesn't matter. Since the rot happens at ground level, the rest of the post...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Abrob1

Urgent advice on weird mushrooms

@Abrob1 hard to tell from you pics but they look like shaggy ink caps to me have a look HERE
    @Abrob1 hard to tell from you pics but they look like shaggy ink caps to me have a look HERE
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice