General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Still haven't got round to sorting out the bulbs yet. But have added more plants and filled the gaps left by the battered fox gloves that have now gone to the big garden in the sky.Blowing a...
    Still haven't got round to sorting out the bulbs yet. But have added more plants and filled the gaps left by the battered fox gloves that have now gone to the big garden in the sky.Blowing a right old hoolie out there....I look as battered as the plants!!!!
    Still haven't got round to sorting out the bulbs yet. But have added more plants and filled the gaps left by the battered fox gloves that have now gone to the big garden in the sky.Blowing a right old hoolie out there....I look as battered as...
    Still haven't got round to sorting out the bulbs yet. But have added more plants and filled the gaps left by the battered fox gloves that have now gone to the big garden in the sky.Blowing a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Perki
    Like x 14

WHATS LOOKING GOOD IN JUNE 2019

stunning
    stunning
    stunning
    stunning
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. NigelJ

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia Salmon DanceFirst flower on Salvia Amethyst Lips
    Salvia corrugata.JPG Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue.JPG Salvia curviflora.JPG Salvia Amisted.JPG P1080233.jpg P1080234.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Ha! That is Dash - Dot and Dash were free from the local cat sanctuary. Why do they always get in the way when you're doing something? They were 'helping' me paint fence panels today... Apart...
    Ha! That is Dash - Dot and Dash were free from the local cat sanctuary. Why do they always get in the way when you're doing something? They were 'helping' me paint fence panels today... Apart from Great Expectations, the other hosta is 'el Nino' - if it wasn't for my slug population, I'd have...
    Ha! That is Dash - Dot and Dash were free from the local cat sanctuary. Why do they always get in the way when you're doing something? They were 'helping' me paint fence panels today... Apart from Great Expectations, the other hosta is 'el Nino'...
    Ha! That is Dash - Dot and Dash were free from the local cat sanctuary. Why do they always get in the way when you're doing something? They were 'helping' me paint fence panels today... Apart...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. lowrider69

SOWING SEEDS 2019?

They look fab @lowrider69 ..Cracking job..:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing, thinking that every Spring I can reuse the basket...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing,...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

Gladiolus carneus Pink form
    Iris 2015.JPG DSCF1352.JPG DSCF1124.JPG Crocus chrysanthus.JPG Crocus tommasinianus .JPG Iris J S Dijt.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

I sown my seeds three weeks ago now look at them
    2D83905E-CB17-4E14-B881-5C33B0C21C14.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring property. So it's really shaded already. I want it...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best taking cuttings and starting afresh ...Spruce
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  18.   » Normal Threads
  19. Upsydaisy

Agapanthus advice please.

Well never having grown them from seed I'm not sure, how about waiting until you get your first flowers on them, you can then pick the ones you like the most and plant those ones out. Just pot...
    Well never having grown them from seed I'm not sure, how about waiting until you get your first flowers on them, you can then pick the ones you like the most and plant those ones out. Just pot them on progressively in the next couple of years one or two pot sizes at a time and tomato feed.
    Well never having grown them from seed I'm not sure, how about waiting until you get your first flowers on them, you can then pick the ones you like the most and plant those ones out. Just pot them on progressively in the next couple of years...
    Well never having grown them from seed I'm not sure, how about waiting until you get your first flowers on them, you can then pick the ones you like the most and plant those ones out. Just pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mazambo

Agapanthus repotting?

looking greatSpruce
    looking greatSpruce
    looking greatSpruce
    looking greatSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. hoofy

1000 liter IBC water tanks

£30 is cheap - can the chap at the farm deliver too?
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. mazambo

Just Curious

There used to be a Black Poplar tree on the green out front. It had been left uncut for a few years. The council decided to give it a trim. New growth was rapid but sadly the new limbs soon...
    There used to be a Black Poplar tree on the green out front. It had been left uncut for a few years. The council decided to give it a trim. New growth was rapid but sadly the new limbs soon fell off. It was then seen that the tree was rotting fast, as it stood at a low point.Checking on...
    There used to be a Black Poplar tree on the green out front. It had been left uncut for a few years. The council decided to give it a trim. New growth was rapid but sadly the new limbs soon fell off. It was then seen that the tree was rotting...
    There used to be a Black Poplar tree on the green out front. It had been left uncut for a few years. The council decided to give it a trim. New growth was rapid but sadly the new limbs soon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Doghouse Riley

Who'd Want a Job as a "White Van Man?"

I'm just being pragmatic.In the circumstances, I wasn't going to get anything more than a full refund. I do get to keep the plant, it may survive, but at that size even if it does, it will be...
    I'm just being pragmatic.In the circumstances, I wasn't going to get anything more than a full refund. I do get to keep the plant, it may survive, but at that size even if it does, it will be "lost" anywhere in our garden.I have since ordered a A/P Shirazz (a similar acer) from Larch...
    I'm just being pragmatic.In the circumstances, I wasn't going to get anything more than a full refund. I do get to keep the plant, it may survive, but at that size even if it does, it will be "lost" anywhere in our garden.I have since...
    I'm just being pragmatic.In the circumstances, I wasn't going to get anything more than a full refund. I do get to keep the plant, it may survive, but at that size even if it does, it will be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. fumanchu

Poorly Honeysuckle

It has been pretty wet here too, and I have never fed my poor honeysuckle. TY gardeners.
    It has been pretty wet here too, and I have never fed my poor honeysuckle. TY gardeners.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Spruce
    Like x 3

Delphinium gets its name from the Greek word “delphis,” which means dolphin.

A wonderous sight to behold - thank you, feel as though I've had " my fix"now, :wub2:
    A wonderous sight to behold - thank you, feel as though I've had " my fix"now, :wub2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. kriss

What can I sow now?

Sow the nigella and cornflowers directly outside, no point in doing anything else now. Other favourite "quick fix" annuals of mine include poppies, nasturtiums, English marigolds and night-scented...
    Sow the nigella and cornflowers directly outside, no point in doing anything else now. Other favourite "quick fix" annuals of mine include poppies, nasturtiums, English marigolds and night-scented stock.And take a look at the Thompson & Morgan website, which has a sale on and free delivery...
    Sow the nigella and cornflowers directly outside, no point in doing anything else now. Other favourite "quick fix" annuals of mine include poppies, nasturtiums, English marigolds and night-scented stock.And take a look at the Thompson & Morgan...
    Sow the nigella and cornflowers directly outside, no point in doing anything else now. Other favourite "quick fix" annuals of mine include poppies, nasturtiums, English marigolds and night-scented...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. GardeningNewbie

Please help identify plant

It's Arum Lily.
    It's Arum Lily.
    It's Arum Lily.
    It's Arum Lily.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Doghouse Riley

Bird Feeders

We've two hanging seed feeders, plus the little house I made myself and two peanut butter feeders. So they're always busy.Hard to get photos, as by the time my wife has called me into the...
    We've two hanging seed feeders, plus the little house I made myself and two peanut butter feeders. So they're always busy.Hard to get photos, as by the time my wife has called me into the lounge, they've all flown off. They come back as sioon as I go out of the room.Anyway, I caught a...
    We've two hanging seed feeders, plus the little house I made myself and two peanut butter feeders. So they're always busy.Hard to get photos, as by the time my wife has called me into the lounge, they've all flown off. They come back as sioon...
    We've two hanging seed feeders, plus the little house I made myself and two peanut butter feeders. So they're always busy.Hard to get photos, as by the time my wife has called me into the...
    P1020957.JPG P1020962.JPG P1020959.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. SimonZ
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Doghouse Riley

Garden Furniture

one year, as my pillows in plastic were all stored in the gazebo, some industrious mouse built her nest under the plastic. Have too many pillows to get one of those huge plastic bins.
    one year, as my pillows in plastic were all stored in the gazebo, some industrious mouse built her nest under the plastic. Have too many pillows to get one of those huge plastic bins.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. andrews
    Like x 5

Echium On The Move

@CarolineL I'm not sure if they like free draining but they are on a south facing free draining slope so free draining seems to suit them as much as the echiums. I think they went in last year,...
    @CarolineL I'm not sure if they like free draining but they are on a south facing free draining slope so free draining seems to suit them as much as the echiums. I think they went in last year, maybe the year before. We wanted them to echo the kniphofia that are nearby but are not yet in...
    @CarolineL I'm not sure if they like free draining but they are on a south facing free draining slope so free draining seems to suit them as much as the echiums. I think they went in last year, maybe the year before. We wanted them to echo the...
    @CarolineL I'm not sure if they like free draining but they are on a south facing free draining slope so free draining seems to suit them as much as the echiums. I think they went in last year,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Doghouse Riley
    Funny x 5

Decisions..Decisions

So maybe you should get six one and half a dozen of the other. .. :scratch: :loll:
    So maybe you should get six one and half a dozen of the other. .. :scratch: :loll:
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. DMM

Dahlia Help/Advice Needed Please

Thanks Verdun. I do enjoy immensely a bit of gardening, it has to be said. It was actually the message that I found a little confusing. Lol :) ;)
    Thanks Verdun. I do enjoy immensely a bit of gardening, it has to be said. It was actually the message that I found a little confusing. Lol :) ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. shiney
    Like x 11

Growing Aquilegias

Thanks @NigelJ, that was what I thought. I'll do a combination of both then, collect some seed to see what comes through but have a few known backups as well!
    Thanks @NigelJ, that was what I thought. I'll do a combination of both then, collect some seed to see what comes through but have a few known backups as well!
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. 2nd_bassoon

An idiot's guide to taking cuttings?

Thanks all - I'll try the perlite tip for sure. Maybe a mix of some in soil and some in water and see how they get on?! And geat shout re washing up bowls - I've got lots of perennials that I...
    Thanks all - I'll try the perlite tip for sure. Maybe a mix of some in soil and some in water and see how they get on?! And geat shout re washing up bowls - I've got lots of perennials that I was planning on dividing and was dreading the sheer number of individual pots it was going to take! ...
    Thanks all - I'll try the perlite tip for sure. Maybe a mix of some in soil and some in water and see how they get on?! And geat shout re washing up bowls - I've got lots of perennials that I was planning on dividing and was dreading the sheer...
    Thanks all - I'll try the perlite tip for sure. Maybe a mix of some in soil and some in water and see how they get on?! And geat shout re washing up bowls - I've got lots of perennials that I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Marley Farley

Wyevale and Dobbies

There is a dobbies near me i would not go there my freind bought me a cucumber and tomotoe plant from there no bigger than your thumb andover charged £1 50 EACH , they told her put them...
    There is a dobbies near me i would not go there my freind bought me a cucumber and tomotoe plant from there no bigger than your thumb andover charged £1 50 EACH , they told her put them outside they grow well l i put mine for a while in sunhouse to grow abit but DESPITElooking after...
    There is a dobbies near me i would not go there my freind bought me a cucumber and tomotoe plant from there no bigger than your thumb andover charged £1 50 EACH , they told her put them outside they grow well l i put mine for a while in...
    There is a dobbies near me i would not go there my freind bought me a cucumber and tomotoe plant from there no bigger than your thumb andover charged £1 50 EACH , they told her put them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Marley Farley

WHATS LOOKING GOOD IN MAY 2019

Yes indeed Jenny.....I have several large clumps of it. I regularly trim back during the summer and this enhances foliage colour and prevents any self seeding :)
    Yes indeed Jenny.....I have several large clumps of it. I regularly trim back during the summer and this enhances foliage colour and prevents any self seeding :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Doghouse Riley

Photos

I've just trawled through the photos of the garden I took in May and deleted quite a few. I'm left with 169. I file them away by month. i.e. 2019-5 Garden. These join the 2,500 plus photos on my...
    I've just trawled through the photos of the garden I took in May and deleted quite a few. I'm left with 169. I file them away by month. i.e. 2019-5 Garden. These join the 2,500 plus photos on my laptop and duplicated on a back-up hardrive in the "Garden" file, a subsection of my "Home and...
    I've just trawled through the photos of the garden I took in May and deleted quite a few. I'm left with 169. I file them away by month. i.e. 2019-5 Garden. These join the 2,500 plus photos on my laptop and duplicated on a back-up hardrive in the...
    I've just trawled through the photos of the garden I took in May and deleted quite a few. I'm left with 169. I file them away by month. i.e. 2019-5 Garden. These join the 2,500 plus photos on my...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice