General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2022

I washed the inside glass today in the Greenhouse , stole the soft brush out of the kitchen makes it much easier for hard to reach areas . Need to cut the Ivy back on the outside before I can...
    I washed the inside glass today in the Greenhouse , stole the soft brush out of the kitchen makes it much easier for hard to reach areas . Need to cut the Ivy back on the outside before I can clean the glass , I like ivy but it is a pain for taking advantage of my fondness the usual give it an...
    I washed the inside glass today in the Greenhouse , stole the soft brush out of the kitchen makes it much easier for hard to reach areas . Need to cut the Ivy back on the outside before I can clean the glass , I like ivy but it is a pain for...
    I washed the inside glass today in the Greenhouse , stole the soft brush out of the kitchen makes it much easier for hard to reach areas . Need to cut the Ivy back on the outside before I can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES - 2022

So is it supposed to be Laurel or Willow @clanless ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney

What's Looking Good In January 2022

Very pretty @Victoria
    Very pretty @Victoria
    Very pretty @Victoria
    Very pretty @Victoria
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed for 2022 ?

**that should read ...moved house in the summer (new garden) and not as if we have moved a summerhouse doh!
    **that should read ...moved house in the summer (new garden) and not as if we have moved a summerhouse doh!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS - 2021/22

I may do then but they don't seem to like me ! haha
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS - 2021/22

Heard mention of a Nematode for the F. gall mite - this link does some but no idea how effective they are, though worth a try for the relatively low price ...?Amblyseius Andersonii | Green Gardener
    Heard mention of a Nematode for the F. gall mite - this link does some but no idea how effective they are, though worth a try for the relatively low price ...?Amblyseius Andersonii | Green Gardener
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

SWEETPEAS - 2021/22

Think I found the problem with my sweetpeas I found loads of these under the soil………….
    Think I found the problem with my sweetpeas I found loads of these under the soil………….
    Jiffy pots.jpeg IMG_20200703_141924.jpg 20210217_104547.jpg image.jpg 2FCC1881-C994-4583-AA54-08174AB75799.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Kristen

Kristen's Project

Sorry Kristen,I know I'm a pest but would also love to see how your Knot garden is coming on:thumbsup:
    Sorry Kristen,I know I'm a pest but would also love to see how your Knot garden is coming on:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm...
    Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm becoming increasingly fond of. Ordered 2 which are said to be particularly successful with butterflies on...
    Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm becoming increasingly fond of. Ordered 2 which are said...
    Well, I think Plants Galore are definitely off my list of good sellers before me even receiving a single order from them! They seemed to have a great selection of hebes which are a genus I'm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

GARDENERS CORNER SEED SWAP 2021

I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can agree lilianas way is safer it wouldn't work for...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2021/22

My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually grow for sale. No open garden again this year so...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  20.   » Normal Threads
  21. Spruce

Very prickly rambler or climbing rose

Alchymist is vigorous and thorny. Compassion is a repeat flowerer, rather stiff, upright growth.
    Alchymist is vigorous and thorny. Compassion is a repeat flowerer, rather stiff, upright growth.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. JWK
    Like x 3

Peter Seabrook RIP

He was on the telly lots, don't remember him on the radio. He had a column in one of the gardening magazines until recently, might have been the RHS one.
    He was on the telly lots, don't remember him on the radio. He had a column in one of the gardening magazines until recently, might have been the RHS one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. franytee

tomato's green algi

Thanks NIgel i appreciate that. have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. pilotax

New hedge replacing my buxus

You could also consider Griselinia littoralis , a bright green leafed evergreen hedging plant.
    You could also consider Griselinia littoralis , a bright green leafed evergreen hedging plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Selleri

How to support giant sunflowers?

We normally stock a wide range of bamboo canes/poles but in general the G/C's only go for the 12/14mm or 14/16mm diameter. Commercial growers that have containerised ornamental trees will use...
    We normally stock a wide range of bamboo canes/poles but in general the G/C's only go for the 12/14mm or 14/16mm diameter. Commercial growers that have containerised ornamental trees will use 22/24mm or 24/26mm diameter in 2.4 or 3m lengths, there normally grade A+ so they don't taper down as...
    We normally stock a wide range of bamboo canes/poles but in general the G/C's only go for the 12/14mm or 14/16mm diameter. Commercial growers that have containerised ornamental trees will use 22/24mm or 24/26mm diameter in 2.4 or 3m lengths,...
    We normally stock a wide range of bamboo canes/poles but in general the G/C's only go for the 12/14mm or 14/16mm diameter. Commercial growers that have containerised ornamental trees will use...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. HarryS

Bay Tree Spotty Leaves?

Thanks Noisette, Janet and Victoria I think it is insect damage, so I'll spray with soapy water from early spring. Never heard of the milky water method, may give that a go as well. :blue thumb: Luckily we...
    Thanks Noisette, Janet and Victoria I think it is insect damage, so I'll spray with soapy water from early spring. Never heard of the milky water method, may give that a go as well. :blue thumb: Luckily we don't use these for cooking.
    Thanks Noisette, Janet and Victoria I think it is insect damage, so I'll spray with soapy water from early spring. Never heard of the milky water method, may give that a go as well. :blue thumb: Luckily we don't use these for cooking.
    Thanks Noisette, Janet and Victoria I think it is insect damage, so I'll spray with soapy water from early spring. Never heard of the milky water method, may give that a go as well. :blue thumb: Luckily we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Fat Controller

Suggestions please

I would love strawberries, but every time I have tried with them I end up with vine weevil. Definitely going to go with the landscape fabric idea and sorely tempted to go with stuff like dahlias...
    I would love strawberries, but every time I have tried with them I end up with vine weevil. Definitely going to go with the landscape fabric idea and sorely tempted to go with stuff like dahlias etc that will give a blaze of colour as the edibles just don't seem to work too well for us.
    I would love strawberries, but every time I have tried with them I end up with vine weevil. Definitely going to go with the landscape fabric idea and sorely tempted to go with stuff like dahlias etc that will give a blaze of colour as the...
    I would love strawberries, but every time I have tried with them I end up with vine weevil. Definitely going to go with the landscape fabric idea and sorely tempted to go with stuff like dahlias...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ETAF

Strap / Harness for Long reach Stihl battery hedge trimmer

Thanks for that , video looked very interesting I'm must admit, I'm not so keen on the Stihl battery position and basically standing it on the plastic rim, which i had to do a few times, although...
    Thanks for that , video looked very interesting I'm must admit, I'm not so keen on the Stihl battery position and basically standing it on the plastic rim, which i had to do a few times, although tried to use my boot - as the ground is very very wet. yes that happened , as i had not pushed the...
    Thanks for that , video looked very interesting I'm must admit, I'm not so keen on the Stihl battery position and basically standing it on the plastic rim, which i had to do a few times, although tried to use my boot - as the ground is very very...
    Thanks for that , video looked very interesting I'm must admit, I'm not so keen on the Stihl battery position and basically standing it on the plastic rim, which i had to do a few times, although...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. jazzy

New Garden Shed - T&G or shiplap?

Ducksback usually works well for me. Avoid Wickes own brand, it's terrible
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. groundbeetle

Perlite

Gardensuperstore has a good selection of big pots at reasonable prices. They have both utilitarian and decorative ones. I have a couple of decorative ones and the quality is quite impressive- very...
    Gardensuperstore has a good selection of big pots at reasonable prices. They have both utilitarian and decorative ones. I have a couple of decorative ones and the quality is quite impressive- very thick and sturdy.My outdoors 50cm pots are from Asda, about a fiver each 15 years ago. They are...
    Gardensuperstore has a good selection of big pots at reasonable prices. They have both utilitarian and decorative ones. I have a couple of decorative ones and the quality is quite impressive- very thick and sturdy.My outdoors 50cm pots are...
    Gardensuperstore has a good selection of big pots at reasonable prices. They have both utilitarian and decorative ones. I have a couple of decorative ones and the quality is quite impressive- very...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Selleri
    Like x 6

What are the earlies seeds you sow? When?

I've started my chilli seeds now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. ennnceee

Too late for bulbs?

I would plant them, you've got nothing to lose and they will probably do all right, unless they have rotted.
    I would plant them, you've got nothing to lose and they will probably do all right, unless they have rotted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. ricky101

Dahlia alternative...?

I grow Zinnias every year and love then, both the tall and short varieties. I do a mix of starting seeds off under cover and direct sowing some a month later.They are prone to powdery mildew, so...
    I grow Zinnias every year and love then, both the tall and short varieties. I do a mix of starting seeds off under cover and direct sowing some a month later.They are prone to powdery mildew, so allow room for air circulation and grow in full sunshine.:dbgrtmb:
    I grow Zinnias every year and love then, both the tall and short varieties. I do a mix of starting seeds off under cover and direct sowing some a month later.They are prone to powdery mildew, so allow room for air circulation and grow in full...
    I grow Zinnias every year and love then, both the tall and short varieties. I do a mix of starting seeds off under cover and direct sowing some a month later.They are prone to powdery mildew, so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Jasmine star
    Friendly x 6

I'm back! (Thank goodness)

@CanadianLori thanks. I'm counting down ha! :love30:Thank you @Victoria it's lovely to hear from you too. :dbgrtmb:
    @CanadianLori thanks. I'm counting down ha! :love30:Thank you @Victoria it's lovely to hear from you too. :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Jack Sparrow

Is a Mimosa Tree suitable for my garden?

It does look rather a dark corner. A lower-risk strategy would be a forsythia or a kerria japonica, both of which would also give you that late winter/ early spring blast of yellow. Both readily...
    It does look rather a dark corner. A lower-risk strategy would be a forsythia or a kerria japonica, both of which would also give you that late winter/ early spring blast of yellow. Both readily available, cheap and strong growers. Myself I'd plant them in the ground and hack them back hard...
    It does look rather a dark corner. A lower-risk strategy would be a forsythia or a kerria japonica, both of which would also give you that late winter/ early spring blast of yellow. Both readily available, cheap and strong growers. Myself I'd...
    It does look rather a dark corner. A lower-risk strategy would be a forsythia or a kerria japonica, both of which would also give you that late winter/ early spring blast of yellow. Both readily...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Thank you @shiney
    Thank you @shiney
    Thank you @shiney
    Thank you @shiney
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. shiney

What's Looking Good In December 2021

Thank you @shiney Nothing at the moment, waiting for the hellebores to flower but no sign as yet.
    Thank you @shiney Nothing at the moment, waiting for the hellebores to flower but no sign as yet.
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES - 2021

New Thread Here:-SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES - 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. ennnceee

What is wrong?

Looks like you went right from underwatering to overwatering.I had that problem so now I only do bottom feeding. Water goes in the saucer and it takes what it wants. I think :scratch:
    Looks like you went right from underwatering to overwatering.I had that problem so now I only do bottom feeding. Water goes in the saucer and it takes what it wants. I think :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. ARMANDII

ANYONE BUYING NEW SEED FOR 2021?

That was prompt @JWK , thank you. :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice