1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

That's a good idea Sheal:).I was supposed to have started working on the new bed yesterday. I did have a trip to the hardware store for compost and bags of extra soil. Also bought a large pot...
    That's a good idea Sheal:).I was supposed to have started working on the new bed yesterday. I did have a trip to the hardware store for compost and bags of extra soil. Also bought a large pot thinking that I can put two or three plants into it, which will help with reducing my pots. Then hubby...
    That's a good idea Sheal:).I was supposed to have started working on the new bed yesterday. I did have a trip to the hardware store for compost and bags of extra soil. Also bought a large pot thinking that I can put two or three plants into it,...
    That's a good idea Sheal:).I was supposed to have started working on the new bed yesterday. I did have a trip to the hardware store for compost and bags of extra soil. Also bought a large pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs
    Like x 11

What's looking good in August 2017

I like Cleome's @longk, how hardy are they please.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

Salvia confertifloraSalvia corrugata
    P1010112.jpg DSC00007 (2).JPG DSC00008 (2).JPG Salvia guaranitica B&B macro.JPG Salvia macro.JPG Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue 2017.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

Today I bought this. I had already taken the measurements but I took the ornament with me just to make sure. I think that will look lovely in the front yard.G.
    Today I bought this. I had already taken the measurements but I took the ornament with me just to make sure. I think that will look lovely in the front yard.G.
    20170211_121715.jpg upload_2017-2-11_15-35-10.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-41-56.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-43-9.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-45-49.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-47-43.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS - 2017

Thanks for that insider info, midwinter day it is ! :)Had just been taking my 'insurance' cuttings but seems a little early, though should be bigger plants next spring.
    Thanks for that insider info, midwinter day it is ! :)Had just been taking my 'insurance' cuttings but seems a little early, though should be bigger plants next spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Thanks, Alana. That is useful information, and good to know if my cat, who wanders all over the local area starts displaying any symptoms.
    Thanks, Alana. That is useful information, and good to know if my cat, who wanders all over the local area starts displaying any symptoms.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

Hi folks,Not sure what the weather will bring today, but we'll cope with it. :thumbsup:
    Hi folks,Not sure what the weather will bring today, but we'll cope with it. :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Zigs
    Like x 11

Show us your Shineyland plants 2017

Willow's garden
    Willow's garden
    Willow's garden
    Willow's garden
    DSCI0001 (3).JPG DSCI0003 (3).JPG DSC09451.JPG WP_20170529_09_46_28_Rich.jpg DSCI0001 (6).JPG Ferrula Communis Giant Fennel Seed Sowing instructions.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

Absolutely fantastic Sweet-pea!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22.   » Normal Threads
  23. JWK

Dahlias 2017

As @Verdun , I dose my Dahlias weekly from mid July with tomato feed . What I did not do this year was stake my Dahlias .....big mistake ! As they grow to 3 - 4 feet they are falling about all...
    As @Verdun , I dose my Dahlias weekly from mid July with tomato feed . What I did not do this year was stake my Dahlias .....big mistake ! As they grow to 3 - 4 feet they are falling about all over the place . I managed to stake them yesterday - a little difficult when they are fully grown ....
    As @Verdun , I dose my Dahlias weekly from mid July with tomato feed . What I did not do this year was stake my Dahlias .....big mistake ! As they grow to 3 - 4 feet they are falling about all over the place . I managed to stake them yesterday -...
    As @Verdun , I dose my Dahlias weekly from mid July with tomato feed . What I did not do this year was stake my Dahlias .....big mistake ! As they grow to 3 - 4 feet they are falling about all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. roders

Garden bridge over the Thames

I may mix with some of them but I make sure I have a wash afterwards! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. RichCofton

Crocosia

I would pot them up Richcofton. Water them well and leave outside. Bring into the gh in early winter or fleece them outside. When growth is vigorous in spring plant them out :)
    I would pot them up Richcofton. Water them well and leave outside. Bring into the gh in early winter or fleece them outside. When growth is vigorous in spring plant them out :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Plotinus

Help in identifying plant

To a certain degree I can understand the 'fear' of poisonous plants , but this applies to nearly all the plants we grow ! When my son was a toddler he was under strict instructions NEVER to touch...
    To a certain degree I can understand the 'fear' of poisonous plants , but this applies to nearly all the plants we grow ! When my son was a toddler he was under strict instructions NEVER to touch any plant in my somewhat well-stocked garden unless authorised .Having now left home I can now...
    To a certain degree I can understand the 'fear' of poisonous plants , but this applies to nearly all the plants we grow ! When my son was a toddler he was under strict instructions NEVER to touch any plant in my somewhat well-stocked garden...
    To a certain degree I can understand the 'fear' of poisonous plants , but this applies to nearly all the plants we grow ! When my son was a toddler he was under strict instructions NEVER to touch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Verdun

Perfumed heliotropes

Verdun, I thought this was you and your family
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. zilly

Replanting a Wisteria.

Thanks for that noisette, thought that would be the case.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. TMAK

North facing area shaded by walls on 3 sides

Thank you for the update, I was wondering how it was looking and now I know: Positively flourishing!So, I'm wondering, have you begun planning for next year? Anything which you tried which...
    Thank you for the update, I was wondering how it was looking and now I know: Positively flourishing!So, I'm wondering, have you begun planning for next year? Anything which you tried which didn't work how you wanted it to? Anything you tried which exceeded your expectations?A magnificent...
    Thank you for the update, I was wondering how it was looking and now I know: Positively flourishing!So, I'm wondering, have you begun planning for next year? Anything which you tried which didn't work how you wanted it to? Anything you tried...
    Thank you for the update, I was wondering how it was looking and now I know: Positively flourishing!So, I'm wondering, have you begun planning for next year? Anything which you tried which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Irmemac

Screening Advice

Didn't you see the sign: "heavy plant crossing"? :snorky:G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. xantia

Hi newbie here

Well I chopped out the large growths as suggested and I wondered if these pods (if indeed that's what they are) can be used to germinate new plants out of curiosity? Thanks
    Well I chopped out the large growths as suggested and I wondered if these pods (if indeed that's what they are) can be used to germinate new plants out of curiosity? Thanks
    IMG_6179.JPG IMG_6178.JPG IMG_6180.JPG IMG_6521.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. JoolsK

Poppies at Christmas

Hi @JoolsK - also, how about taking lots of photos of poppies (and finding them on the web) and get one of those digital photoframes so that it is constantly cycling through lovely summer pictures...
    Hi @JoolsK - also, how about taking lots of photos of poppies (and finding them on the web) and get one of those digital photoframes so that it is constantly cycling through lovely summer pictures in the dark winter days? Also, seriously, get some daylight bulbs to ensure you both get plenty of...
    Hi @JoolsK - also, how about taking lots of photos of poppies (and finding them on the web) and get one of those digital photoframes so that it is constantly cycling through lovely summer pictures in the dark winter days? Also, seriously, get...
    Hi @JoolsK - also, how about taking lots of photos of poppies (and finding them on the web) and get one of those digital photoframes so that it is constantly cycling through lovely summer pictures...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. NessaJ70

Butler sinks in a shady area

Lovely Nessa - blue and silver with a touch of Ophiopogon. I think they look quite classy :dbgrtmb:
    Lovely Nessa - blue and silver with a touch of Ophiopogon. I think they look quite classy :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. silu
    Like x 3

Tropaeolum Speciosum flowering at last.

Hi @silu -well done you! I have repeatedly bought tubers from a helpful seller on ebay. A couple of occasions I have had great flowering, but then the tubers rotted off over winter and nothing...
    Hi @silu -well done you! I have repeatedly bought tubers from a helpful seller on ebay. A couple of occasions I have had great flowering, but then the tubers rotted off over winter and nothing came through next time. And that's even when kept in large tubs rather than my clay soil. So just keep...
    Hi @silu -well done you! I have repeatedly bought tubers from a helpful seller on ebay. A couple of occasions I have had great flowering, but then the tubers rotted off over winter and nothing came through next time. And that's even when kept in...
    Hi @silu -well done you! I have repeatedly bought tubers from a helpful seller on ebay. A couple of occasions I have had great flowering, but then the tubers rotted off over winter and nothing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. HarryS

Begonia Cuttings How ?

Thanks @pete , @Verdun Two years for tubers to form and tricky basal cuttings.... this sounds a little tricky for me. Also it appears I am to late this season . I may have a go next spring :blue thumb:
    Thanks @pete , @Verdun Two years for tubers to form and tricky basal cuttings.... this sounds a little tricky for me. Also it appears I am to late this season . I may have a go next spring :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Millicent_G

Plant identification - help please

They're hardy here, @pete! Probably hardy in sheltered London too? If you want to keep them, @Millicent_G , you could cover the tubers with a dry-ish mulch in winter. Just in case....
    They're hardy here, @pete! Probably hardy in sheltered London too? If you want to keep them, @Millicent_G , you could cover the tubers with a dry-ish mulch in winter. Just in case....
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. HarryS

Verbena bonariensis , what is it ?

And the stems have the same slightly rough feel to them. :blue thumb:If you ever come down this way I could dig you up a batch of them. :)
    And the stems have the same slightly rough feel to them. :blue thumb:If you ever come down this way I could dig you up a batch of them. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. roders

Honey Fungus.

You get instant height though Roders :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Sally Parker

Worried about New Plants in Constantly Wet Soil...

You will learn more about your garden as you garden Sally Dont fuss over your plants too much.....enjoy your garden :)
    You will learn more about your garden as you garden Sally Dont fuss over your plants too much.....enjoy your garden :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Jiffy

Potato Blight

I've found that as Pete says spraying spuds with copper does hold back blight. However it isn't a perfect 'cure' and chopping off the halms when the virus spreads helps keep the spuds clear of...
    I've found that as Pete says spraying spuds with copper does hold back blight. However it isn't a perfect 'cure' and chopping off the halms when the virus spreads helps keep the spuds clear of blight. You can reduce the chances of blight on maincrop spuds by planting early under protection...
    I've found that as Pete says spraying spuds with copper does hold back blight. However it isn't a perfect 'cure' and chopping off the halms when the virus spreads helps keep the spuds clear of blight. You can reduce the chances of blight on...
    I've found that as Pete says spraying spuds with copper does hold back blight. However it isn't a perfect 'cure' and chopping off the halms when the virus spreads helps keep the spuds clear of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Redwing

Non-flowering Agapanthus

Thanks folks. Have now repotted into five smaller but still quite big pots. No vine weevils @pete . I used a mix of my own compost, well rotted cow manure and grit.
    Thanks folks. Have now repotted into five smaller but still quite big pots. No vine weevils @pete . I used a mix of my own compost, well rotted cow manure and grit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. Aidan Mallon

When to prune newly planted Beech Hedge

Hi @Aidan Mallon and Welcome to GC.. I love a beautiful thick Beech hedge but have never had one so I remembered something I read so looked in my reading list and I found this.. How to cut back...
    Hi @Aidan Mallon and Welcome to GC.. I love a beautiful thick Beech hedge but have never had one so I remembered something I read so looked in my reading list and I found this.. How to cut back newly planted beech hedge plants
    Hi @Aidan Mallon and Welcome to GC.. I love a beautiful thick Beech hedge but have never had one so I remembered something I read so looked in my reading list and I found this.. How to cut back newly planted beech hedge plants
    Hi @Aidan Mallon and Welcome to GC.. I love a beautiful thick Beech hedge but have never had one so I remembered something I read so looked in my reading list and I found this.. How to cut back...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options