General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

What's Looking Good In February 2019

First flower on a plantlet I bought last spring at Morrisons. Very happy, it's double
    First flower on a plantlet I bought last spring at Morrisons. Very happy, it's double
    Azara microphylla 1.JPG Scilla mischtshenkoana.JPG Ipheion Jessie.JPG FungusSm.jpg P2090018.JPG 20190209_144519.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the...
    Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the pots with vine weevil killer. I was going to jet washer the garden walls before putting in the new...
    Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the pots with vine weevil killer. I was going to jet...
    Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Very nice find @Moley , I love the colour :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

It'll be okay if you're staying at home. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a...
    Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a hedge of some description along boundary of front garden for privacy. I did plant Beech saplings last...
    Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a hedge of some description along boundary of front...
    Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in...
    They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in the season.
    They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in the season.
    They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

OLD THREAD. HERE
    OLD THREAD. HERE
    OLD THREAD. HERE
    OLD THREAD. HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best taking cuttings and starting afresh ...Spruce
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. NigelJ

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia Amethyst. 3 plants on order for May
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. wiseowl

Sedums

Hello I have to divide and move several Sedums is it the time to do now and will they survive in light shade.Thank you
    Hello I have to divide and move several Sedums is it the time to do now and will they survive in light shade.Thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Linz

Alternatives to plastic single cell seed trays?

@Linz - I have some six cell trays going spare if you would like some?
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jack Sparrow

Recovering a rubble filled flower bed

I have broken up the old concrete path. It is now in big lumps. I am going to try to brake it all into small enough pieces to use as ballast for under my slabs. (@CarolineL :dbgrtmb:). I have bought a new...
    I have broken up the old concrete path. It is now in big lumps. I am going to try to brake it all into small enough pieces to use as ballast for under my slabs. (@CarolineL :dbgrtmb:). I have bought a new hammer especially for this purpose. If I dont have enough concrete, there are plenty of spare...
    I have broken up the old concrete path. It is now in big lumps. I am going to try to brake it all into small enough pieces to use as ballast for under my slabs. (@CarolineL :dbgrtmb:). I have bought a new hammer especially for this purpose. If I dont...
    I have broken up the old concrete path. It is now in big lumps. I am going to try to brake it all into small enough pieces to use as ballast for under my slabs. (@CarolineL :dbgrtmb:). I have bought a new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Fat Controller

Sheds

@pete - just over four years. There was an air gap underneath it, but admittedly not much of one. I used OSB at the time basically because I didn't know any better - - won't use the stuff for...
    @pete - just over four years. There was an air gap underneath it, but admittedly not much of one. I used OSB at the time basically because I didn't know any better - - won't use the stuff for anything again though, it seems to have behaved like a [email protected] - I can't use concrete, as I...
    @pete - just over four years. There was an air gap underneath it, but admittedly not much of one. I used OSB at the time basically because I didn't know any better - - won't use the stuff for anything again though, it seems to have behaved like...
    @pete - just over four years. There was an air gap underneath it, but admittedly not much of one. I used OSB at the time basically because I didn't know any better - - won't use the stuff for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Spruce

Agapanthus best white

Its a fab variety queen mum its a Bicoloured flowers I had simialr called Enigma lost that in the winter of 2012 , thanks for the tip about "White superior"Spruce
    Its a fab variety queen mum its a Bicoloured flowers I had simialr called Enigma lost that in the winter of 2012 , thanks for the tip about "White superior"Spruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Phil A

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019

Due to problems with some account links on the forum database, this thread needs to be closed and the discussion moved on to a new thread - What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today...
    Due to problems with some account links on the forum database, this thread needs to be closed and the discussion moved on to a new thread - What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Due to problems with some account links on the forum database, this thread needs to be closed and the discussion moved on to a new thread - What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Due to problems with some account links on the forum database, this thread needs to be closed and the discussion moved on to a new thread - What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. mazambo

Cordyline Ideas?

Thanks @Verdun I'll just pot them up, think I've got some large pots hanging around.
    Thanks @Verdun I'll just pot them up, think I've got some large pots hanging around.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. longk
    Like x 6

The Growing From Seed Thread 2019

I've made a start at sowing this year, onions went in last weekend and are now showing in the prop. Other than that mostly ornamentals, and not ones I've grown before. Sideritis cypria Aeonium...
    I've made a start at sowing this year, onions went in last weekend and are now showing in the prop. Other than that mostly ornamentals, and not ones I've grown before. Sideritis cypria Aeonium simsii Brugmansia "Orange glory", we will see if that comes true? Cyperus Alternifolius, grown it years...
    I've made a start at sowing this year, onions went in last weekend and are now showing in the prop. Other than that mostly ornamentals, and not ones I've grown before. Sideritis cypria Aeonium simsii Brugmansia "Orange glory", we will see if that...
    I've made a start at sowing this year, onions went in last weekend and are now showing in the prop. Other than that mostly ornamentals, and not ones I've grown before. Sideritis cypria Aeonium...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Warwick lad

Death of an asparagus bed.

It could be that the Asparagus bed was past it's best, they can last for 15 or so years if looked after, I'd take a 50:50 approach and replant the most intact ones and get some fresh crowns. I'd...
    It could be that the Asparagus bed was past it's best, they can last for 15 or so years if looked after, I'd take a 50:50 approach and replant the most intact ones and get some fresh crowns. I'd also start in another bed rather than replant in the same soil to give them all a much better chance.
    It could be that the Asparagus bed was past it's best, they can last for 15 or so years if looked after, I'd take a 50:50 approach and replant the most intact ones and get some fresh crowns. I'd also start in another bed rather than replant in...
    It could be that the Asparagus bed was past it's best, they can last for 15 or so years if looked after, I'd take a 50:50 approach and replant the most intact ones and get some fresh crowns. I'd...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. HarryS

Stump Killer Yes or No ?

It's OK Verdun , I have a talent for killing any plant ! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. PEANUTPARADISE

My Little Plot

Does anyone on this forum live in or near Sandy in Bedfordshire and are wiling to share their plants, cuttings etc with me to fill up my very sunny south facing little garden? I’ve not long moved...
    Does anyone on this forum live in or near Sandy in Bedfordshire and are wiling to share their plants, cuttings etc with me to fill up my very sunny south facing little garden? I’ve not long moved to Sandy and with the weather being so nice yesterday I managed to clear my one bed outside my...
    Does anyone on this forum live in or near Sandy in Bedfordshire and are wiling to share their plants, cuttings etc with me to fill up my very sunny south facing little garden? I’ve not long moved to Sandy and with the weather being so nice...
    Does anyone on this forum live in or near Sandy in Bedfordshire and are wiling to share their plants, cuttings etc with me to fill up my very sunny south facing little garden? I’ve not long moved...
    82A65398-15AA-4FE4-87EC-47288FE02104.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. mazambo

Overwintered cuttings

Well April anyway, but keep them cool.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

If anyone is interested i will update this thread but i also have a garden blog on facebook. Just search on facebook “chinnor view garden”
    If anyone is interested i will update this thread but i also have a garden blog on facebook. Just search on facebook “chinnor view garden”
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Steve R

Vermiculite Bench Propagators.

That's what we were told originally. I don't damp the sand and gravel but it gets wet when we water the plants as we use the hose to do it. I built the propagator in 1976.I have to keep...
    That's what we were told originally. I don't damp the sand and gravel but it gets wet when we water the plants as we use the hose to do it. I built the propagator in 1976.I have to keep burying it as the cat lifts it out every so often. Our previous cat used to do that as well. :doh: They like...
    That's what we were told originally. I don't damp the sand and gravel but it gets wet when we water the plants as we use the hose to do it. I built the propagator in 1976.I have to keep burying it as the cat lifts it out every so often. Our...
    That's what we were told originally. I don't damp the sand and gravel but it gets wet when we water the plants as we use the hose to do it. I built the propagator in 1976.I have to keep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. fumanchu

Fruit

Hi @fumanchu the zones they quote seem to be related more to wetness and sunlight than to temperature, ie they seem more specific to fruit trees. I suspect soft fruit would work for you best -...
    Hi @fumanchu the zones they quote seem to be related more to wetness and sunlight than to temperature, ie they seem more specific to fruit trees. I suspect soft fruit would work for you best - just whichever you prefer. I kept growing blackcurrants for ages, but my family found them too sharp,...
    Hi @fumanchu the zones they quote seem to be related more to wetness and sunlight than to temperature, ie they seem more specific to fruit trees. I suspect soft fruit would work for you best - just whichever you prefer. I kept growing...
    Hi @fumanchu the zones they quote seem to be related more to wetness and sunlight than to temperature, ie they seem more specific to fruit trees. I suspect soft fruit would work for you best -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. SimonZ

Flower photos

Hi @SimonZ nice! I particularly like the hypericum with exploding stamens and the one that might be a geum or gaillardia
    Hi @SimonZ nice! I particularly like the hypericum with exploding stamens and the one that might be a geum or gaillardia
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Sienna's Blossom

Self sown apple tree

We had two "spit" apple trees at Nana's place, they grew from the seeds my dad and her sister spat out when sitting on the wall and eating apples when they were kids. :)40 years after the...
    We had two "spit" apple trees at Nana's place, they grew from the seeds my dad and her sister spat out when sitting on the wall and eating apples when they were kids. :)40 years after the spitting, the trees were beautiful as apple trees are. The fruit were disappointing but edible.
    We had two "spit" apple trees at Nana's place, they grew from the seeds my dad and her sister spat out when sitting on the wall and eating apples when they were kids. :)40 years after the spitting, the trees were beautiful as apple trees are. The...
    We had two "spit" apple trees at Nana's place, they grew from the seeds my dad and her sister spat out when sitting on the wall and eating apples when they were kids. :)40 years after the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS 2018

CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    CLOSEDNEW THREAD. HERE
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice