1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. alp
    Like x 7

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions on topics from latest bloom to wildlife.

Morning all.
    Morning all.
    Morning all.
    Morning all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs
    Like x 12

What's looking good in June 2017

The wind has battered a lot of mine but managed to get a few pics on n off in focus Firstly for @Sheal xCanna Ehemanii Hanging baskets for a charity gig Tomoz Acheillia ?? callistemon...
    The wind has battered a lot of mine but managed to get a few pics on n off in focus Firstly for @Sheal xCanna Ehemanii Hanging baskets for a charity gig Tomoz Acheillia ?? callistemon Pallidus salvia neon Calla Hercules A puff ball...i think
    The wind has battered a lot of mine but managed to get a few pics on n off in focus Firstly for @Sheal xCanna Ehemanii Hanging baskets for a charity gig Tomoz Acheillia ?? callistemon Pallidus salvia neon Calla Hercules A puff...
    The wind has battered a lot of mine but managed to get a few pics on n off in focus Firstly for @Sheal xCanna Ehemanii Hanging baskets for a charity gig Tomoz Acheillia ?? callistemon...
    DSCI0006 (3).JPG DSCI0001 (11).JPG P1240819.JPG P1240824.JPG P1330654.JPG P1330631.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

In the past he has said its fine to walk the dogs on his land-he hasnt done anything to look after it at all and it's been an overgrown mess! The farmer is fuming as she constantly gets weeds etc...
    In the past he has said its fine to walk the dogs on his land-he hasnt done anything to look after it at all and it's been an overgrown mess! The farmer is fuming as she constantly gets weeds etc in her fields for her animals.
    In the past he has said its fine to walk the dogs on his land-he hasnt done anything to look after it at all and it's been an overgrown mess! The farmer is fuming as she constantly gets weeds etc in her fields for her animals.
    In the past he has said its fine to walk the dogs on his land-he hasnt done anything to look after it at all and it's been an overgrown mess! The farmer is fuming as she constantly gets weeds etc...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

My pink salvia
    My pink salvia
    My pink salvia
    My pink salvia
    P1010112.jpg DSC00007 (2).JPG DSC00008 (2).JPG Salvia guaranitica B&B macro.JPG Salvia macro.JPG Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue 2017.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Zigs
    Like x 11

Show us your Shineyland plants 2017

I suppose it would take up too much space for me to put up photos of plants from Shineyland :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    I suppose it would take up too much space for me to put up photos of plants from Shineyland :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

This year I have bought 8 named varieties of Bearded IrisActressKent PrideNight EditionSpreckelsFiesta TimeCodicilClassic LookRip City
    This year I have bought 8 named varieties of Bearded IrisActressKent PrideNight EditionSpreckelsFiesta TimeCodicilClassic LookRip City
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

Huge flowered seedling, maybe worth registering.
    DSC_0609 (4).JPG Silly Whimsey.JPG DSC_0679 (2).JPG Quiet Moment.JPG DSC_0706 (2).JPG DSC_0701 (2).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS - 2017

I will be taking cutting if people are interested
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for...
    I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for cheap plants that you might not find elsewhere locally. On Saturday it was the turn of the village...
    I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for cheap plants that you might not find elsewhere...
    I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

Thanks Sheal and redstar.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would like some please let me know. I am happy to give some...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    IMG_5438.JPG IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5435.JPG 823-procyon_1.jpg kenora-sunset.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. silu

Pruning evergreen Ceanothus

Many thanks for the information both. I'll lop off the offending branches and will leave enough to still have a few leaves as per try and get round to prune them lightly after flowering in the...
    Many thanks for the information both. I'll lop off the offending branches and will leave enough to still have a few leaves as per try and get round to prune them lightly after flowering in the future as you suggest @noisette47 The 1 that is taking over the driveway had it's leader broken by a...
    Many thanks for the information both. I'll lop off the offending branches and will leave enough to still have a few leaves as per try and get round to prune them lightly after flowering in the future as you suggest @noisette47 The 1 that is...
    Many thanks for the information both. I'll lop off the offending branches and will leave enough to still have a few leaves as per try and get round to prune them lightly after flowering in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Selleri

Container plants left on their own in garden for 3 months- survival tips?

Install some auto watering system, or ask neighbour to look after
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

DISAPPOINTED.

Are taylors in the same click too @noisette47 ? We have one near here and they supply are corn/pet store with spuds & onions sets. I sometimes use a nursery in woolley moor who supply and maintain...
    Are taylors in the same click too @noisette47 ? We have one near here and they supply are corn/pet store with spuds & onions sets. I sometimes use a nursery in woolley moor who supply and maintain all the containers and baskets for a huge area here but never asked who supply them...yet x
    Are taylors in the same click too @noisette47 ? We have one near here and they supply are corn/pet store with spuds & onions sets. I sometimes use a nursery in woolley moor who supply and maintain all the containers and baskets for a huge area...
    Are taylors in the same click too @noisette47 ? We have one near here and they supply are corn/pet store with spuds & onions sets. I sometimes use a nursery in woolley moor who supply and maintain...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Guesty
    Like x 12

Garden Updates

It's looking good Guesty! :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Passport1

What is this plant?

Thanks for the reply and information :hapfeet::dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ARMANDII

KELWAYS

See!!!, I knew you were a "Lady of the Cloth":love30::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. trogre

Ideas for plants in hanging pots

Hi All. Had an idea of hiding part of fence with square wood trellis and to have hanging pots on it like below,Elho Corsica Easy hanger. They are 2.4 litre capacity but I did not think it through...
    Hi All. Had an idea of hiding part of fence with square wood trellis and to have hanging pots on it like below,Elho Corsica Easy hanger. They are 2.4 litre capacity but I did not think it through as to what to plant in them. I do have Erodium Bishops form to go into one put but after that I am...
    Hi All. Had an idea of hiding part of fence with square wood trellis and to have hanging pots on it like below,Elho Corsica Easy hanger. They are 2.4 litre capacity but I did not think it through as to what to plant in them. I do have Erodium...
    Hi All. Had an idea of hiding part of fence with square wood trellis and to have hanging pots on it like below,Elho Corsica Easy hanger. They are 2.4 litre capacity but I did not think it through...
    Eho Pot.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Sheps

Honeysuckle dropping its flowers

I'm pretty sure it is, Sheps:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Jack Snakes

Agapanthus

See what you mean longk :thud: will pass on that one
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Redwing
    Like x 11

My Mediterranean style garden

Thank you. I took your advice and bought a Convolvulous cneorum that you recommended. There just happened to be one at my local GC that was pot bound and reduced to half price. It still had a...
    Thank you. I took your advice and bought a Convolvulous cneorum that you recommended. There just happened to be one at my local GC that was pot bound and reduced to half price. It still had a few flowers.
    Thank you. I took your advice and bought a Convolvulous cneorum that you recommended. There just happened to be one at my local GC that was pot bound and reduced to half price. It still had a few flowers.
    Thank you. I took your advice and bought a Convolvulous cneorum that you recommended. There just happened to be one at my local GC that was pot bound and reduced to half price. It still had a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Redwing

Climber for Northeast Wall

Thanks everyone; I will look up all of these.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Fat Controller

Azaleia/Rhody RIP?

You could prune down half to say about say 6 to 9 inches @fat controller . The front foliage on the shrub looks less healthy so I'd prune that hard rather than the healthier rear foliage. If you...
    You could prune down half to say about say 6 to 9 inches @fat controller . The front foliage on the shrub looks less healthy so I'd prune that hard rather than the healthier rear foliage. If you do decide to prune I'd do it sooner rather than later as the new growth will need time to harden off...
    You could prune down half to say about say 6 to 9 inches @fat controller . The front foliage on the shrub looks less healthy so I'd prune that hard rather than the healthier rear foliage. If you do decide to prune I'd do it sooner rather than...
    You could prune down half to say about say 6 to 9 inches @fat controller . The front foliage on the shrub looks less healthy so I'd prune that hard rather than the healthier rear foliage. If you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. TheMadHedger

Resurrecting severely slug damaged Petunias

I've taken some now but the next hurdle is my computer deciding that it won't read the camera's memory card .......... yet the camera WILL read it. Ho hum.
    I've taken some now but the next hurdle is my computer deciding that it won't read the camera's memory card .......... yet the camera WILL read it. Ho hum.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. toppington

Small Rented Garden Inspiration!

Most importantly. Have fun.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. silu
    Like x 3

Completely dumbfounded

in my case I discounted Wilt. It was more about where in the garden they were planted. Leaf scorch would be seen in late spring and summer and is very noticeable and identifiable. Ironically, it...
    in my case I discounted Wilt. It was more about where in the garden they were planted. Leaf scorch would be seen in late spring and summer and is very noticeable and identifiable. Ironically, it grew well for me around the pool where soil was damp however it was too vigorous for the spot. For...
    in my case I discounted Wilt. It was more about where in the garden they were planted. Leaf scorch would be seen in late spring and summer and is very noticeable and identifiable. Ironically, it grew well for me around the pool where soil was...
    in my case I discounted Wilt. It was more about where in the garden they were planted. Leaf scorch would be seen in late spring and summer and is very noticeable and identifiable. Ironically, it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Fat Controller
    Like x 5

Project garden - stage 2....

the garden is looking amazing, @fat controller - well done!
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Fat Controller

Compost mish-mash?

The lavatera opened up today, it has tripled in size since chucking it in. Still waiting on the malva zebrinas..
    The lavatera opened up today, it has tripled in size since chucking it in. Still waiting on the malva zebrinas..
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. PeterS
    Like x 10

Echiums

Ive got 2 growing in the garden this year, sown last spring and kept in the GH overwinter the planted out in April. It's romping away now, I'll get a pic later
    Ive got 2 growing in the garden this year, sown last spring and kept in the GH overwinter the planted out in April. It's romping away now, I'll get a pic later
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. JWK

Advice need for tile fixing outdoors

The only reason I asked was that I know concrete has to "mature" for at least two months before it can be tiled. No experience of blocks though.I must say though, I do like the feature.
    The only reason I asked was that I know concrete has to "mature" for at least two months before it can be tiled. No experience of blocks though.I must say though, I do like the feature.
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. BrandNewGardener

What am I doing wrong? Dahlia advice needed please!

The ones I bought today from Home Bargains are nice healthy plants, I will get a few more tomorrow if there's any left.
    The ones I bought today from Home Bargains are nice healthy plants, I will get a few more tomorrow if there's any left.
    DSCF3657.JPG DSCF3607.JPG w22795_l_l_2.jpg IMG_4736.JPG aDSC_0223.jpg aDSC_0224.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options