Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 9

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN DECEMBER 2020

It's a good sized garden here alright so can't complain and plenty of horse manure next door to help the plants along. Just need to clean out the girlfriend's stables to get barrow fulls of it....
    It's a good sized garden here alright so can't complain and plenty of horse manure next door to help the plants along. Just need to clean out the girlfriend's stables to get barrow fulls of it. Bit too much lawn area for my liking but the girlfriend is fairly insistent on having some and her Da...
    It's a good sized garden here alright so can't complain and plenty of horse manure next door to help the plants along. Just need to clean out the girlfriend's stables to get barrow fulls of it. Bit too much lawn area for my liking but the...
    It's a good sized garden here alright so can't complain and plenty of horse manure next door to help the plants along. Just need to clean out the girlfriend's stables to get barrow fulls of it....
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    pot.JPG basket 1.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

DAY LILY - 2020

I know I shouldn't have picked up on this thread! It's very catching this Day Lily theme ,
    I know I shouldn't have picked up on this thread! It's very catching this Day Lily theme ,
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2020

Thanks Mike. I've grown a lot of Lobelia in the past so these shouldn't be a problem. :)
    Thanks Mike. I've grown a lot of Lobelia in the past so these shouldn't be a problem. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS 2020

Just in case anyone is interested. 'Fuchsias a colour guide' By George Bartlett. ISBN.1-85223-999-9.Covers over 2000 cultvars and has more than 700 colour photos. IMO a book well worth owning.
    Just in case anyone is interested. 'Fuchsias a colour guide' By George Bartlett. ISBN.1-85223-999-9.Covers over 2000 cultvars and has more than 700 colour photos. IMO a book well worth owning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY 2020

Gladiolus candidus.
    Gladiolus candidus.
    Gladiolus candidus.
    Gladiolus candidus.
    Iris reticulata.JPG Crocus malyi.JPG Hesperantha coccinea.JPG Crocus sieberii Tricolour.JPG Gladiolus uysiae M.JPG Gladiolus uysiae.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2020

You have a lovely collection Nigel.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2020

Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area would be nice. It all looks very nice in my head...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES 2020

The day has come. It's still November and the days are getting shorter, but one can always plan ahead and buy seeds and pots :hapfeet:The pots will get a gentle sanding and a lick of matte white paint....
    The day has come. It's still November and the days are getting shorter, but one can always plan ahead and buy seeds and pots :hapfeet:The pots will get a gentle sanding and a lick of matte white paint. The cylindrical one is for a very top heavy pillar cactus, I'll half fill it with stones and...
    The day has come. It's still November and the days are getting shorter, but one can always plan ahead and buy seeds and pots :hapfeet:The pots will get a gentle sanding and a lick of matte white paint. The cylindrical one is for a very top heavy pillar...
    The day has come. It's still November and the days are getting shorter, but one can always plan ahead and buy seeds and pots :hapfeet:The pots will get a gentle sanding and a lick of matte white paint....
    upload_2020-1-21_21-59-39.png P1310991.JPG upload_2020-1-29_14-13-53.jpeg upload_2020-2-1_14-12-20.jpeg received_266826414294127.jpeg received_466667260696932.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Not today but tomorrow, I am finally going to power wash my drive. Yesterday I did all the weeds so today is my rest day as the back was a little achy! First time using the power washer so very...
    Not today but tomorrow, I am finally going to power wash my drive. Yesterday I did all the weeds so today is my rest day as the back was a little achy! First time using the power washer so very excited to see all the dirt just disappear!
    Not today but tomorrow, I am finally going to power wash my drive. Yesterday I did all the weeds so today is my rest day as the back was a little achy! First time using the power washer so very excited to see all the dirt just disappear!
    Not today but tomorrow, I am finally going to power wash my drive. Yesterday I did all the weeds so today is my rest day as the back was a little achy! First time using the power washer so very...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2020

@CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    @CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. andrews
    Like x 6

Anyone Buying Seed For 2020 ?

Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Thanks, will check them out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Kristen

Kristen's Project

It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. rustyroots

Recommendations for thermostats and thermometers.

Hi,If you want something thats plug and play ready , then the InkBird range on Amazon/Ebay is probably as good as any.If you are capable of simple electrical wiring you could go for the...
    Hi,If you want something thats plug and play ready , then the InkBird range on Amazon/Ebay is probably as good as any.If you are capable of simple electrical wiring you could go for the cheaper 1000 models from Inkbird or the much cheaper genetic model the STC1000 on ebay etc.If you are...
    Hi,If you want something thats plug and play ready , then the InkBird range on Amazon/Ebay is probably as good as any.If you are capable of simple electrical wiring you could go for the cheaper 1000 models from Inkbird or the much cheaper...
    Hi,If you want something thats plug and play ready , then the InkBird range on Amazon/Ebay is probably as good as any.If you are capable of simple electrical wiring you could go for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. fumanchu

Ornamental Grasses

Awesome, thanks everybody!
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. fumanchu

Anenomes

I've got blood fish and bone somewhere, will do that. TY.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Warwicks1

Any thoughts on improving a barren landscape?

You're spot on about exposure, You'd think that Ceanothus would thrive here, with the long, hot summers, but I've tried to grow them in my main (exposed) borders for the last 11 years and...
    You're spot on about exposure, You'd think that Ceanothus would thrive here, with the long, hot summers, but I've tried to grow them in my main (exposed) borders for the last 11 years and they're just not having it. The only ones I've been able to keep are in spots protected from cold winds...
    You're spot on about exposure, You'd think that Ceanothus would thrive here, with the long, hot summers, but I've tried to grow them in my main (exposed) borders for the last 11 years and they're just not having it. The only ones I've been able...
    You're spot on about exposure, You'd think that Ceanothus would thrive here, with the long, hot summers, but I've tried to grow them in my main (exposed) borders for the last 11 years and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Warwicks1

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb...

Many thanks for the responses, really appreciated.Freddy - I'll add another crown to the left as you suggest. It means they'll be pretty close together, but hopefully that'll be OK. There's...
    Many thanks for the responses, really appreciated.Freddy - I'll add another crown to the left as you suggest. It means they'll be pretty close together, but hopefully that'll be OK. There's also the plant to the left next to the lavender - ot sure what it is, has leaves a bit like rosemary...
    Many thanks for the responses, really appreciated.Freddy - I'll add another crown to the left as you suggest. It means they'll be pretty close together, but hopefully that'll be OK. There's also the plant to the left next to the lavender - ot...
    Many thanks for the responses, really appreciated.Freddy - I'll add another crown to the left as you suggest. It means they'll be pretty close together, but hopefully that'll be OK. There's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. noisette47
    Funny x 5

Ste Catherine

Oooo that's a bit harsh! I prepare the soil, make sure the roots are damp and well-surrounded by lovely, fluffy, nutritious soil. I stroke them, talk to them, stake, water and mulch them......then...
    Oooo that's a bit harsh! I prepare the soil, make sure the roots are damp and well-surrounded by lovely, fluffy, nutritious soil. I stroke them, talk to them, stake, water and mulch them......then they die of drought or flooding 2 years later :roflol: ETA: No plants sent to me by lovely, generous GC...
    Oooo that's a bit harsh! I prepare the soil, make sure the roots are damp and well-surrounded by lovely, fluffy, nutritious soil. I stroke them, talk to them, stake, water and mulch them......then they die of drought or flooding 2 years later :roflol: ...
    Oooo that's a bit harsh! I prepare the soil, make sure the roots are damp and well-surrounded by lovely, fluffy, nutritious soil. I stroke them, talk to them, stake, water and mulch them......then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. fumanchu

Fuchsia & Blackberry

Yes, they are big an straggly, I'll chop them. TY. I don't want them, they were planted by the old man who lived here before and his sister and daughter want to take them and plant them in their...
    Yes, they are big an straggly, I'll chop them. TY. I don't want them, they were planted by the old man who lived here before and his sister and daughter want to take them and plant them in their garden. They're coming this weekend for them.
    Yes, they are big an straggly, I'll chop them. TY. I don't want them, they were planted by the old man who lived here before and his sister and daughter want to take them and plant them in their garden. They're coming this weekend for them.
    Yes, they are big an straggly, I'll chop them. TY. I don't want them, they were planted by the old man who lived here before and his sister and daughter want to take them and plant them in their...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. PhilC

L.E.D lights during winter? ...are they needed? Red & Blue or White?

Vipar Spectra Model V450 dual functions grow and bloom
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Loofah

Shed building saw

I'm lucky enough to have built up a pretty decent range of woodworking tools and machinery over the years. Out of all those tools, the one that I find most versatile is my chop saw. Design the...
    I'm lucky enough to have built up a pretty decent range of woodworking tools and machinery over the years. Out of all those tools, the one that I find most versatile is my chop saw. Design the shed correct from the beginning, and its really the only power tool needed.Theres an advantage for...
    I'm lucky enough to have built up a pretty decent range of woodworking tools and machinery over the years. Out of all those tools, the one that I find most versatile is my chop saw. Design the shed correct from the beginning, and its really the...
    I'm lucky enough to have built up a pretty decent range of woodworking tools and machinery over the years. Out of all those tools, the one that I find most versatile is my chop saw. Design the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Glynne Williams

Tomatoes for 2021

Dear Sandy, sounds just like us but you have evolved more anti-whitefly systems than us, though we will set up your methods. Mind you I have still to find 'original' seeds as opposed to any...
    Dear Sandy, sounds just like us but you have evolved more anti-whitefly systems than us, though we will set up your methods. Mind you I have still to find 'original' seeds as opposed to any named variety!Back to whitefly! Yes the Green Gardener has been helpful. Their whitefly treatment...
    Dear Sandy, sounds just like us but you have evolved more anti-whitefly systems than us, though we will set up your methods. Mind you I have still to find 'original' seeds as opposed to any named variety!Back to whitefly! Yes the Green...
    Dear Sandy, sounds just like us but you have evolved more anti-whitefly systems than us, though we will set up your methods. Mind you I have still to find 'original' seeds as opposed to any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Novice22

Help with our privit hedge please

Both Mike and I have given you advice Novice22 and we've both agreed that the membrane should be removed. As a compromise regarding saving the hedge and keeping weeds down, perhaps you might...
    Both Mike and I have given you advice Novice22 and we've both agreed that the membrane should be removed. As a compromise regarding saving the hedge and keeping weeds down, perhaps you might consider removing the membrane and relaying the gravel. As an old hedge, if you don't give it a chance...
    Both Mike and I have given you advice Novice22 and we've both agreed that the membrane should be removed. As a compromise regarding saving the hedge and keeping weeds down, perhaps you might consider removing the membrane and relaying the...
    Both Mike and I have given you advice Novice22 and we've both agreed that the membrane should be removed. As a compromise regarding saving the hedge and keeping weeds down, perhaps you might...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. HarryS

Med Palm Planting?

Thanks Mike, I will put some mulch around it for the first winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. fisjon
    Friendly x 3

No success this year!!

Sheep manure is high in Potash and Phosphates, fisjon, which, in theory, is good for gardens but, (there's always a but:dunno::heehee:), but I would be wary of using it in it's raw state as it's bound to contain...
    Sheep manure is high in Potash and Phosphates, fisjon, which, in theory, is good for gardens but, (there's always a but:dunno::heehee:), but I would be wary of using it in it's raw state as it's bound to contain other things that might not be so good for the garden:doh:. But if the rainwater from the field flows...
    Sheep manure is high in Potash and Phosphates, fisjon, which, in theory, is good for gardens but, (there's always a but:dunno::heehee:), but I would be wary of using it in it's raw state as it's bound to contain other things that might not be so good for the...
    Sheep manure is high in Potash and Phosphates, fisjon, which, in theory, is good for gardens but, (there's always a but:dunno::heehee:), but I would be wary of using it in it's raw state as it's bound to contain...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. ARMANDII
    Like x 10

STILL GOT THE MEMORIES OF THE YEAR IN THE GARDEN

Armandii. I used to do all my own developing and printing, in the days of roll film black & white. I still have my two Exacta Varex SLR's. They need overhauling and repair. I also go back to...
    Armandii. I used to do all my own developing and printing, in the days of roll film black & white. I still have my two Exacta Varex SLR's. They need overhauling and repair. I also go back to the 50's & 60's. These cameras were used a lot for scientific & medical photography. I would...
    Armandii. I used to do all my own developing and printing, in the days of roll film black & white. I still have my two Exacta Varex SLR's. They need overhauling and repair. I also go back to the 50's & 60's. These cameras were used a lot...
    Armandii. I used to do all my own developing and printing, in the days of roll film black & white. I still have my two Exacta Varex SLR's. They need overhauling and repair. I also go back to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. ARMANDII
    Like x 14

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN NOVEMBER 2020

Don't know about day-length but it's widely distributed. First came across it in Greece, but it's grown in the French caribbean too. We've had this discussion before, though :biggrin: Loads of so-called...
    Don't know about day-length but it's widely distributed. First came across it in Greece, but it's grown in the French caribbean too. We've had this discussion before, though :biggrin: Loads of so-called tender shrubs will survive outside in UK and northern europe, but flower too late in the summer to...
    Don't know about day-length but it's widely distributed. First came across it in Greece, but it's grown in the French caribbean too. We've had this discussion before, though :biggrin: Loads of so-called tender shrubs will survive outside in UK and...
    Don't know about day-length but it's widely distributed. First came across it in Greece, but it's grown in the French caribbean too. We've had this discussion before, though :biggrin: Loads of so-called...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. SimonZ

Plumeria

I really like the second one. It doesn't say which one so I'll have to wait and see.Forgot to say I put Cinnamon in the planting hole.
    I really like the second one. It doesn't say which one so I'll have to wait and see.Forgot to say I put Cinnamon in the planting hole.
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. fumanchu
    Like x 6

House Move!

I sort of had that before Loofah, without meaning to - what started as a cottage garden sort of got out of hand :roflol:
    I sort of had that before Loofah, without meaning to - what started as a cottage garden sort of got out of hand :roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. buddleia64

Recommend me some plants with big leaves please.

Grow rhubarb! No reason you can’t put it in a border, and very tasty too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. fumanchu

What fabulous apples are these?

Colour-wise they look like Discovery, but those fruit earlier in the season. Could be a Kidd's, perhaps.These guys have a list of late season trees with pictures of the fruit. See what looks...
    Colour-wise they look like Discovery, but those fruit earlier in the season. Could be a Kidd's, perhaps.These guys have a list of late season trees with pictures of the fruit. See what looks closest.Late-season eating apples for sale | Buy fruit trees online
    Colour-wise they look like Discovery, but those fruit earlier in the season. Could be a Kidd's, perhaps.These guys have a list of late season trees with pictures of the fruit. See what looks closest.Late-season eating apples for sale | Buy...
    Colour-wise they look like Discovery, but those fruit earlier in the season. Could be a Kidd's, perhaps.These guys have a list of late season trees with pictures of the fruit. See what looks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. Hazel Twigg

New Japanese maple - Osakasuki

Thanks for your advice - i will do this. I have already potted it into a slightly bigger pot as it was a bit rootbound when it arrived. I will leave next to the doorstep in the south/west aspect...
    Thanks for your advice - i will do this. I have already potted it into a slightly bigger pot as it was a bit rootbound when it arrived. I will leave next to the doorstep in the south/west aspect as it may be more sheltered there. I take in my society garlic at nights when frost is forecast and...
    Thanks for your advice - i will do this. I have already potted it into a slightly bigger pot as it was a bit rootbound when it arrived. I will leave next to the doorstep in the south/west aspect as it may be more sheltered there. I take in my...
    Thanks for your advice - i will do this. I have already potted it into a slightly bigger pot as it was a bit rootbound when it arrived. I will leave next to the doorstep in the south/west aspect...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice