1. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE 2 MINUTE SILENCE
    IN MEMORY OF ARMANDII

Armandii's chosen charity was Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) - donations in his memory are welcomed, paid directly to the charity. Please ask a member of Admin for further information.

Dismiss Notice
We have a very sad announcement to make - please see the thread in the link below:

Please Click Here

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN May 21

Very pretty Michael. My Felicia has already gone through its first flush.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

GARDENERS CORNER SEED SWAP 2021

I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can agree lilianas way is safer it wouldn't work for...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2021

My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually grow for sale. No open garden again this year so...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

SWEETPEAS - 2021

I understand this latest cold chill is coming from Greenland, who left the EU in 1985 so your plants should be safe :biggrin:
    I understand this latest cold chill is coming from Greenland, who left the EU in 1985 so your plants should be safe :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

ANYONE BUYING NEW SEED FOR 2021?

A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just...
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just couldn't resist.
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just couldn't resist.
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just...
    upload_2021-1-1_10-16-39.png 84032011_0_640x640.jpg Screenshot_20210216-080422~2.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY - 2021

Let's hope it's a good year.
    upload_2021-1-1_10-13-11.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

DAY LILIES - 2021

Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    upload_2021-1-1_10-5-55.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SOWING SEEDS - 2021

I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I...
    I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I can't use windowsills safely.
    I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I can't use windowsills safely.
    I'm very late with sowing this year (tomatoes are the only ones done on time). Gonna start today /tomorrow placing pots and trays in the gh. With Tiger (ginger kitty) :cat-kittyandsmiley: joining us last year, I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS - 2021

Most salvia are easy from seed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS - 2021

Hi,You can cut them down as far as you like, provided you can still see some buds below.The lower you cut, the plant will probably not grow much bigger than it is now, but if you cut higher...
    Hi,You can cut them down as far as you like, provided you can still see some buds below.The lower you cut, the plant will probably not grow much bigger than it is now, but if you cut higher up it will soon grow out bigger.It surprising how a few feet can make a big difference in how...
    Hi,You can cut them down as far as you like, provided you can still see some buds below.The lower you cut, the plant will probably not grow much bigger than it is now, but if you cut higher up it will soon grow out bigger.It surprising how...
    Hi,You can cut them down as far as you like, provided you can still see some buds below.The lower you cut, the plant will probably not grow much bigger than it is now, but if you cut higher...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES - 2021

Believe it or not, white lavender just been delivered upside down in the pot
    Pic3.jpg 8CC01A7A-EE09-4240-930F-1346F775B939.jpeg 7D45E7B6-27A2-4E9E-BE1A-3A7498EFAAB9.jpeg IMG_20210108_111200122.jpg upload_2021-1-9_21-6-38.png 271DE23B-ED32-4642-90CC-1A92E72DD9D5.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Spent most of the afternoon pricking out trays of cosmos, calendula, zinnia, nicotiana. I always feel sooooo bad about the poor seedlings which have gone to the effort of germinating....only to...
    Spent most of the afternoon pricking out trays of cosmos, calendula, zinnia, nicotiana. I always feel sooooo bad about the poor seedlings which have gone to the effort of germinating....only to not make it into the bigger modules :-(
    Spent most of the afternoon pricking out trays of cosmos, calendula, zinnia, nicotiana. I always feel sooooo bad about the poor seedlings which have gone to the effort of germinating....only to not make it into the bigger modules :-(
    Spent most of the afternoon pricking out trays of cosmos, calendula, zinnia, nicotiana. I always feel sooooo bad about the poor seedlings which have gone to the effort of germinating....only to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    pot.JPG basket 1.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Its nearly impossible to get a courier to deliver to rural and low densely populated area's at the same cost as the UK.. The couriers impose surcharges for doing so.Look what happened to Royal...
    Its nearly impossible to get a courier to deliver to rural and low densely populated area's at the same cost as the UK.. The couriers impose surcharges for doing so.Look what happened to Royal Mail some years ago, they were investigated by Ofcom for charging businesses more to use their...
    Its nearly impossible to get a courier to deliver to rural and low densely populated area's at the same cost as the UK.. The couriers impose surcharges for doing so.Look what happened to Royal Mail some years ago, they were investigated by...
    Its nearly impossible to get a courier to deliver to rural and low densely populated area's at the same cost as the UK.. The couriers impose surcharges for doing so.Look what happened to Royal...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Kristen

Kristen's Project

It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. HarryS

Shrub ideas for a crockery?

Note : For crockery please read rockery!! Bloomin' phone spell check kicked in :rolleyespink:
    Note : For crockery please read rockery!! Bloomin' phone spell check kicked in :rolleyespink:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. eddybaby

Has My Rhubarb Gone to Seed?

Those things can grow as high as a man. Normally I cut em off as soon as they show themselves, but from time to time I let one flower to its hearts content and I am always surprised how big they...
    Those things can grow as high as a man. Normally I cut em off as soon as they show themselves, but from time to time I let one flower to its hearts content and I am always surprised how big they can get.I you can spare one of your plants harvests then try it out and leave it be. It's truly a...
    Those things can grow as high as a man. Normally I cut em off as soon as they show themselves, but from time to time I let one flower to its hearts content and I am always surprised how big they can get.I you can spare one of your plants...
    Those things can grow as high as a man. Normally I cut em off as soon as they show themselves, but from time to time I let one flower to its hearts content and I am always surprised how big they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. eddybaby

Damaged Acer

Many thanks Devilish I'll try that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Loofah

Hedge trimmer, pole or not?

Decided to go for the DEWALT DCMHT563N. It will be lighter and I can attack all hedges up to a certain limit! Beyond that reach I can see if I can tolerate using the petrol one and if not just let...
    Decided to go for the DEWALT DCMHT563N. It will be lighter and I can attack all hedges up to a certain limit! Beyond that reach I can see if I can tolerate using the petrol one and if not just let it grow :) next year I might add the pole version to the collection
    Decided to go for the DEWALT DCMHT563N. It will be lighter and I can attack all hedges up to a certain limit! Beyond that reach I can see if I can tolerate using the petrol one and if not just let it grow :) next year I might add the pole version...
    Decided to go for the DEWALT DCMHT563N. It will be lighter and I can attack all hedges up to a certain limit! Beyond that reach I can see if I can tolerate using the petrol one and if not just let...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Jo Williams

Edgeworthia Grandiflora - advice needed

Agree with @pete - they look as though surface soil has washed away exposing the roots. Do you topdress it to refresh the soil each year @Jo Williams ?
    Agree with @pete - they look as though surface soil has washed away exposing the roots. Do you topdress it to refresh the soil each year @Jo Williams ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Selleri

Buying a Camellia as a present for late May

You can choose which month you want them to flower....Buy Camellia: Delivery by Crocus
    You can choose which month you want them to flower....Buy Camellia: Delivery by Crocus
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Aidan mc

Aloe Vera?

Southener :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Spruce

To sprinkle or not to be sprinkle ?

I've never sown any they just find their own way in to my garden and spread like mad, I've been weeding them out today as they can take over. So I guess sprinkle would work :)
    I've never sown any they just find their own way in to my garden and spread like mad, I've been weeding them out today as they can take over. So I guess sprinkle would work :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. NigelJ
    Like x 4

Spring 2021 Your Experience

Due to the dry and cold weather we have had everything seems a bit slow. The Cannas I grow from rhizomes have taken forever to show and are extremely sluggish growing leaves. Let's hope they catch...
    Due to the dry and cold weather we have had everything seems a bit slow. The Cannas I grow from rhizomes have taken forever to show and are extremely sluggish growing leaves. Let's hope they catch up as it's getting a tad warmer.
    Due to the dry and cold weather we have had everything seems a bit slow. The Cannas I grow from rhizomes have taken forever to show and are extremely sluggish growing leaves. Let's hope they catch up as it's getting a tad warmer.
    Due to the dry and cold weather we have had everything seems a bit slow. The Cannas I grow from rhizomes have taken forever to show and are extremely sluggish growing leaves. Let's hope they catch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Newbie garden guy

One set of red onions growing one not.

Good news green shoot has started out of one of the onions in this set, i assume thr others wont be too far behind.
    Good news green shoot has started out of one of the onions in this set, i assume thr others wont be too far behind.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Colin Lowing

Rust Marks on Patio

Hi there @Colin Lowing andTry some bleach , but test out on a less conspicuous area first especially if you have coloured stone.
    Hi there @Colin Lowing andTry some bleach , but test out on a less conspicuous area first especially if you have coloured stone.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. mazambo

Reshaping an acer

Logically, if you cut the flow of sap just above a node, that stimulates the plant to produce hormones which cause a bud to form and break below the cut. :ideaIPB: I've got to tackle an elderly Acer p.d....
    Logically, if you cut the flow of sap just above a node, that stimulates the plant to produce hormones which cause a bud to form and break below the cut. :ideaIPB: I've got to tackle an elderly Acer p.d. ornatum which is spreading outwards at the expense of the leaves on top. But that's going to have to...
    Logically, if you cut the flow of sap just above a node, that stimulates the plant to produce hormones which cause a bud to form and break below the cut. :ideaIPB: I've got to tackle an elderly Acer p.d. ornatum which is spreading outwards at the expense...
    Logically, if you cut the flow of sap just above a node, that stimulates the plant to produce hormones which cause a bud to form and break below the cut. :ideaIPB: I've got to tackle an elderly Acer p.d....
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. wiseowl

Foxglove question

I'm good at mystery plants i have lots of them. Labels go missing or I forget where i planted what, especially bulbs. The latest mystery came from a packet of Fuchsia seed one plant appeared,...
    I'm good at mystery plants i have lots of them. Labels go missing or I forget where i planted what, especially bulbs. The latest mystery came from a packet of Fuchsia seed one plant appeared, germinated very quickly and grew well unfortunately doesn't look like any fuchsia I've seen; currently...
    I'm good at mystery plants i have lots of them. Labels go missing or I forget where i planted what, especially bulbs. The latest mystery came from a packet of Fuchsia seed one plant appeared, germinated very quickly and grew well unfortunately...
    I'm good at mystery plants i have lots of them. Labels go missing or I forget where i planted what, especially bulbs. The latest mystery came from a packet of Fuchsia seed one plant appeared,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Passport1

Replanting Daffodils and Tulops

Thanks @2nd_bassoon fed the pots with tomato feed today after giving them a good water and just before the hail arrived!!
    Thanks @2nd_bassoon fed the pots with tomato feed today after giving them a good water and just before the hail arrived!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. ricky101

Hydrangea Macrophylla - too far gone ?

Thanks @luis_pr ,From what you say and the fact they have been so damaged for 2 years running, think its clear they are not best suited to our frost prone garden.
    Thanks @luis_pr ,From what you say and the fact they have been so damaged for 2 years running, think its clear they are not best suited to our frost prone garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Spruce

Peach Crimson Bonfire Question about peach leaf curl

My dwarf peach has been in garden soil for last 2 years. Despite diligently removing and burning curling leaves, and clearing up fragments on soil, it is still riddled with it. I am thinking of...
    My dwarf peach has been in garden soil for last 2 years. Despite diligently removing and burning curling leaves, and clearing up fragments on soil, it is still riddled with it. I am thinking of grubbing it out and replacing with something less fragile... @Spruce Yours looks much healthier!
    My dwarf peach has been in garden soil for last 2 years. Despite diligently removing and burning curling leaves, and clearing up fragments on soil, it is still riddled with it. I am thinking of grubbing it out and replacing with something less...
    My dwarf peach has been in garden soil for last 2 years. Despite diligently removing and burning curling leaves, and clearing up fragments on soil, it is still riddled with it. I am thinking of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Spruce

Lily Beetle 2021

Thanks for ruining my Ham sandwich Spruce.:catapult::biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. Spruce

Black-eyed Susan Thunbergia alata

I found they are quite delicate in terms of stems and needed help to attach to the spiral metal posts I had them on. This year the seeds seem to be a bit stubborn about germinating, despite a...
    I found they are quite delicate in terms of stems and needed help to attach to the spiral metal posts I had them on. This year the seeds seem to be a bit stubborn about germinating, despite a heated mat!
    I found they are quite delicate in terms of stems and needed help to attach to the spiral metal posts I had them on. This year the seeds seem to be a bit stubborn about germinating, despite a heated mat!
    I found they are quite delicate in terms of stems and needed help to attach to the spiral metal posts I had them on. This year the seeds seem to be a bit stubborn about germinating, despite a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Loofah
    Like x 6

The Walipini Project (aka greenhouse shenanigans)

Patch up job (@pete keep your eyes closed :heehee:).The roof was the first important thing to get done as the glass was sliding out. The glass is in rebated timber (as pete said) but the timber below...
    Patch up job (@pete keep your eyes closed :heehee:).The roof was the first important thing to get done as the glass was sliding out. The glass is in rebated timber (as pete said) but the timber below it was a single piece that had small plastic clips screwed into it to hold the glass. As those...
    Patch up job (@pete keep your eyes closed :heehee:).The roof was the first important thing to get done as the glass was sliding out. The glass is in rebated timber (as pete said) but the timber below it was a single piece that had small plastic clips...
    Patch up job (@pete keep your eyes closed :heehee:).The roof was the first important thing to get done as the glass was sliding out. The glass is in rebated timber (as pete said) but the timber below...
    IMAG5873.jpg IMAG5869.jpg IMAG1694.jpg IMAG1693.jpg IMAG1691.jpg IMAG1689.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. Spuddy_1958

Nursery sent chitted Begonia corm

Thank you for your congratulations and for the advice on the begonia.I'm just a little obsessed about avoiding under or over watering it and making sure it has the correct environment.I'm not...
    Thank you for your congratulations and for the advice on the begonia.I'm just a little obsessed about avoiding under or over watering it and making sure it has the correct environment.I'm not worried about all the other things I'm in the process of growing, but this one is important !
    Thank you for your congratulations and for the advice on the begonia.I'm just a little obsessed about avoiding under or over watering it and making sure it has the correct environment.I'm not worried about all the other things I'm in the...
    Thank you for your congratulations and for the advice on the begonia.I'm just a little obsessed about avoiding under or over watering it and making sure it has the correct environment.I'm not...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice