New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2020

Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up...
    Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up leaves recently. Also Papaver miyabeanum, P atlanticum and P apokrinomenon have germinated, these...
    Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up leaves recently. Also Papaver miyabeanum, P...
    Have just found that Arisaema amurense has put up shoots 12 months after sowing and just been left in a cool shady spot also Cyclamen confusum and C repandum sown at the same time have pushed up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS 2020

Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't...
    Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't seem to enjoy the changes in temperature. Hoping I can get them to limp through the back end of...
    Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't seem to enjoy the changes in temperature. Hoping I...
    Ive taken cutting s from Fuchisia Boliviana and Boliviana Alba over the winter as the plants were getting leggy inside.Ive moved them into the polytunnel now and they are doing ok but don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY 2020

Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Gorgeous!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2020

@CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some...
    @CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some cuttings and left the parent plant outside, it was fine until we had a couple of frosts in February...
    @CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some cuttings and left the parent plant outside, it was...
    @CarolineL Salvia corrugata is not particularly hardy, it will only take a light frost and really needs a cold greenhouse. For the first couple of years I did that, then autumn 2018 I took some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2020

Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area would be nice. It all looks very nice in my head...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES 2020

Here's a laughI tried to get the one Asparagus Fern seed my daughter in law had, to germinate. No luck so I ordered a few new ones. I didn't read details as I was in a hurry and the package...
    Here's a laughI tried to get the one Asparagus Fern seed my daughter in law had, to germinate. No luck so I ordered a few new ones. I didn't read details as I was in a hurry and the package arrived. Think I can get one out of this lot to sprout?:heehee:
    Here's a laughI tried to get the one Asparagus Fern seed my daughter in law had, to germinate. No luck so I ordered a few new ones. I didn't read details as I was in a hurry and the package arrived. Think I can get one out of this lot to sprout?:heehee:
    Here's a laughI tried to get the one Asparagus Fern seed my daughter in law had, to germinate. No luck so I ordered a few new ones. I didn't read details as I was in a hurry and the package...
    upload_2020-1-21_21-59-39.png P1310991.JPG upload_2020-1-29_14-13-53.jpeg upload_2020-2-1_14-12-20.jpeg received_266826414294127.jpeg received_466667260696932.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

:nonofinger::heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:Unfortunately, Kristen, it is now added to the pages of History.:dunno::heehee:He had obviously been doing less than 1,000mph and taking his time.:dunno::heehee:Also known as "Trouble One" and "Trembling...
    :nonofinger::heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:Unfortunately, Kristen, it is now added to the pages of History.:dunno::heehee:He had obviously been doing less than 1,000mph and taking his time.:dunno::heehee:Also known as "Trouble One" and "Trembling First".......Great Britain had no reason to tremble with us guarding it:dunno::whistle:We were an independent operational...
    :nonofinger::heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:Unfortunately, Kristen, it is now added to the pages of History.:dunno::heehee:He had obviously been doing less than 1,000mph and taking his time.:dunno::heehee:Also known as "Trouble One" and "Trembling First".......Great Britain had no reason to tremble with us...
    :nonofinger::heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5:Unfortunately, Kristen, it is now added to the pages of History.:dunno::heehee:He had obviously been doing less than 1,000mph and taking his time.:dunno::heehee:Also known as "Trouble One" and "Trembling...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2020

Sad news for Salvia fans. Robin (Nibor) of Robin's Salvias passed away on Jan 2nd.
    Sad news for Salvia fans. Robin (Nibor) of Robin's Salvias passed away on Jan 2nd.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. andrews
    Like x 6

Anyone Buying Seed For 2020 ?

I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings....
    I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings. I thought I was going to get nothing since it took so long. This is the picture of what it supposed...
    I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings. I thought I was going to get nothing since it...
    I sowed my Minette Basil (wonder if that is considered tree basil) which looks like a little bush about 6 weeks ago and just a few days ago 2 of the 4 seeds popped and I now have little seedlings....
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic turned up in two days and is looking great.
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    D404CC13-CEE2-4989-9F24-E4FE43B88B2A.jpeg upload_2019-8-23_10-8-49.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. Daisy Chain

Problem garden

Getting the builders back to take out the rubble would be a good starting point :frown:Short of doing that, now (as you say big job; involves ripping everything up ... but you could then chuck it...
    Getting the builders back to take out the rubble would be a good starting point :frown:Short of doing that, now (as you say big job; involves ripping everything up ... but you could then chuck it through the builder's showroom windows ...) then raised beds seems like the only answer. Or Astro turf /...
    Getting the builders back to take out the rubble would be a good starting point :frown:Short of doing that, now (as you say big job; involves ripping everything up ... but you could then chuck it through the builder's showroom windows ...) then...
    Getting the builders back to take out the rubble would be a good starting point :frown:Short of doing that, now (as you say big job; involves ripping everything up ... but you could then chuck it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. andrews

Seed Supplier Websites

These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm...
    These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm suppliers, it looks like they're still running.
    These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm suppliers, it looks like they're still running.
    These are the guys I bought mine from.Grass Seed & Lawn Seeds - UK Supplier - GSS DIRECT LTDThe seed mix is much better than what you get in packets from a garden centre. And being farm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Matthew F

Is this St Johns Wort, why is the root so big, and how do I remove safely?

Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the...
    Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the Calycinum and try and re-cover some of the pine root system. At least there's time with lockdown....
    Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the Calycinum and try and re-cover some of the pine...
    Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. GardeningFin

'Eggs' in pond - any idea what they are?

So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:...
    So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:I have a project to redo my pond as it has a leak and I need to empty it and lay a new liner, I'm...
    So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:I have a project to redo my pond as it has a leak...
    So I decided to sacrifice one and squished it open to see if it was an egg. Alas, no - it's filled with milky substance and nothing else. Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a berry of sorts, not an egg :loll:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. wiseowl

PLug Plants Quandry

I think there would be a lot of confused people in the supermarket if Woo did that. :heehee:
    I think there would be a lot of confused people in the supermarket if Woo did that. :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ricky101

Petunia/Surfinia Cuttings ?

Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a...
    Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a name change a few years back, for example, Surfinia Hot pink, became Crazy pink. The originals like...
    Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a name change a few years back, for example, Surfinia...
    Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Scotty2088

Who to purchase from online?

Conincidentally just after posting that ...... I had a call from them. Turns out he is not only Phone-answerer but also delivery-driver! Phoned to tell me when he would be arriving and asking...
    Conincidentally just after posting that ...... I had a call from them. Turns out he is not only Phone-answerer but also delivery-driver! Phoned to tell me when he would be arriving and asking for directions."Have you got Satnav?""I think there's something on my phone that can do that...
    Conincidentally just after posting that ...... I had a call from them. Turns out he is not only Phone-answerer but also delivery-driver! Phoned to tell me when he would be arriving and asking for directions."Have you got Satnav?""I think...
    Conincidentally just after posting that ...... I had a call from them. Turns out he is not only Phone-answerer but also delivery-driver! Phoned to tell me when he would be arriving and asking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Ben Pemberton

Very sad Cheese plant

My guess is overwatering.Does water build up in that outer pot?Think it might have root rot, let it dry out between waterings, I find they don't actually need lots of water.
    My guess is overwatering.Does water build up in that outer pot?Think it might have root rot, let it dry out between waterings, I find they don't actually need lots of water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Janet mahay
    Like x 4

Some tips in garden

Great post Janet. I’m going to look up the wild about gardens campaign now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. sandhun

How to take this garden to the next level

I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for...
    I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for wildlife - just that it has downsides too.Fan trained fruit trees are the other option on a fence - a...
    I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for wildlife - just that it has downsides too.Fan trained...
    I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. mazambo

Hanging basket compost

@ricky101 we normally buy basket compost with added granules and crystals and line the basket with plastic as you say, probably just a duff bag of compost I suppose it happens from time to time.
    @ricky101 we normally buy basket compost with added granules and crystals and line the basket with plastic as you say, probably just a duff bag of compost I suppose it happens from time to time.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Azamour

Planting in non direct sunlight

Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that...
    Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that come back every year and if you change your mind later, don't mind being moved.I still love my...
    Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that come back every year and if you change your mind...
    Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. mazambo

Using Peat

Brilliant thanks @pete
    Brilliant thanks @pete
    Brilliant thanks @pete
    Brilliant thanks @pete
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. TomBem

New Lawn

The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine....
    The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine.the books great for learning the basics of lawn care. Part of the fun is learning through...
    The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine.the books great for learning the basics of lawn...
    The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine....
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. longk

Lily Beetle 2020

Noooo ! Not this already. Will check today, I have a new weapon this year; Grazers G4:
    Noooo ! Not this already. Will check today, I have a new weapon this year; Grazers G4:
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. David Quinn

Pruning a crab apple tree

Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but...
    Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but obviously he's not coming now and is unlikely to for a long while yet.My Mum bought and planted it, for...
    Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but obviously he's not coming now and is unlikely to for a...
    Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Killjoy

Weeding the Lawn

Can anyone recommend a good 2 prong hand weeder for getting the weeds out of the lawn all the ones I try seem to bend when I use them, could really do with a cast iron one!
    Can anyone recommend a good 2 prong hand weeder for getting the weeds out of the lawn all the ones I try seem to bend when I use them, could really do with a cast iron one!
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. HarryS

Olive Tree Standard, Pruning?

Thanks @pete , Miracle Grow it is then once a week for the next 6 weeks, keep it simple.
    Thanks @pete , Miracle Grow it is then once a week for the next 6 weeks, keep it simple.
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. jimineycricket

Spuds left in ground for months due to harvesting error , safe to eat now ?

NB. When the leaves on potato plants die down like that it means the potatoes are ready to dig up. Not necessarily immediately but ready. All perfectly normal and healthy
    NB. When the leaves on potato plants die down like that it means the potatoes are ready to dig up. Not necessarily immediately but ready. All perfectly normal and healthy
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. jtface

Roots in flower beds

Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface soil about 2-3 inches. With the fork I have been attacking the big clumps. Sometimes up to 5-6 inches...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface soil about 2-3 inches. With the fork I have been...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice