Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN FEBRUARY 2021

Forgot this one earlier a shrubby honeysuckle, scented. Lonicera elisae
    Cyclamen 1 Feb 20.jpg 20210201_121455.jpg 20210201_121511.jpg 20210201_121606.jpg 20210201_121540.jpg P1020663_Photographic.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

GARDENERS CORNER SEED SWAP 2021

I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can agree lilianas way is safer it wouldn't work for...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the enveloped packaged seed in a post box. While I can...
    I will sort out my seeds.I'm sorry after finding out how the seed swap is worked I realise that it is a bit more than I thought and at this moment in time it isn't just a case of popping the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2021

My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually grow for sale. No open garden again this year so...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays that we keep ready for all the plants we usually...
    My aspirations are simple - to try and keep the garden tidy! No new projects apart from trying to get lawn back on the very large area that has died off because of us storing empty pots and trays...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SWEETPEAS - 2021

Started these off in November, are they further forward than they should be? And can i start hardening them off if it isn't to cold? I've had no where else to put them other than in the greenhouse...
    Started these off in November, are they further forward than they should be? And can i start hardening them off if it isn't to cold? I've had no where else to put them other than in the greenhouse which is heated for my brugs not been below 6.2°c.
    Started these off in November, are they further forward than they should be? And can i start hardening them off if it isn't to cold? I've had no where else to put them other than in the greenhouse which is heated for my brugs not been below 6.2°c.
    Started these off in November, are they further forward than they should be? And can i start hardening them off if it isn't to cold? I've had no where else to put them other than in the greenhouse...
    Jiffy pots.jpeg IMG_20200703_141924.jpg 20210217_104547.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

ANYONE BUYING NEW SEED FOR 2021?

A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just...
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just couldn't resist.
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just couldn't resist.
    A few posts ago I said I wouldn't buy anything this season because of all the leftovers I still have....Well I had a weak moment yesterday. Saw those seeds for 0.49 € at my local Lidl and just...
    upload_2021-1-1_10-16-39.png 84032011_0_640x640.jpg Screenshot_20210216-080422~2.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY - 2021

Let's hope it's a good year.
    upload_2021-1-1_10-13-11.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

DAY LILIES - 2021

Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    Another year of colour.
    upload_2021-1-1_10-5-55.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2021

Another year for sowing new plants.
    upload_2021-1-1_10-0-30.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS - 2021

Most salvia are easy from seed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS - 2021

That's when I'll switch to Abamectin.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES - 2021

Hurray ... The Nandina arrived today (after a little hassle from DHL). I am more than pleased with it.. Just sat it on the Kitchen Patio table to air and rest till I find a suitable pot to put...
    Hurray ... The Nandina arrived today (after a little hassle from DHL). I am more than pleased with it.. Just sat it on the Kitchen Patio table to air and rest till I find a suitable pot to put it in.
    Hurray ... The Nandina arrived today (after a little hassle from DHL). I am more than pleased with it.. Just sat it on the Kitchen Patio table to air and rest till I find a suitable pot to put it in.
    Hurray ... The Nandina arrived today (after a little hassle from DHL). I am more than pleased with it.. Just sat it on the Kitchen Patio table to air and rest till I find a suitable pot to put...
    Pic3.jpg 8CC01A7A-EE09-4240-930F-1346F775B939.jpeg 7D45E7B6-27A2-4E9E-BE1A-3A7498EFAAB9.jpeg IMG_20210108_111200122.jpg upload_2021-1-9_21-6-38.png 271DE23B-ED32-4642-90CC-1A92E72DD9D5.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Things seem to be growing well in the garden now but the weeds are outstripping everything else. I've been, slowly, weeding my way through some of the beds in the front garden. They seem to have...
    Things seem to be growing well in the garden now but the weeds are outstripping everything else. I've been, slowly, weeding my way through some of the beds in the front garden. They seem to have smothered a lot of my plants and lots of Pulmonaria seem to have gone missing :sad:.Removed a run of...
    Things seem to be growing well in the garden now but the weeds are outstripping everything else. I've been, slowly, weeding my way through some of the beds in the front garden. They seem to have smothered a lot of my plants and lots of...
    Things seem to be growing well in the garden now but the weeds are outstripping everything else. I've been, slowly, weeding my way through some of the beds in the front garden. They seem to have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    pot.JPG basket 1.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Thanks, will check them out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Kristen

Kristen's Project

It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. Sheryll

contaminated sprayer!

"His" and "Hers" sprayers, what will they think of next.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Ed Cummins

Advice for damaged lawn!!

You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using...
    You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using just sand may cause a sump. Never use a roller on a clay base soil as flounders has mentioned ....
    You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using just sand may cause a sump. Never use a roller on...
    You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. flounder
    Like x 4

Ever Changing Garden

I tried to keep a record of how my garden here developed over the last few years by posting videos on youtube. This playlist tracks the development of the area just outside the living room window...
    I tried to keep a record of how my garden here developed over the last few years by posting videos on youtube. This playlist tracks the development of the area just outside the living room window which was the first part of the garden I started planting. The site was just a field used for...
    I tried to keep a record of how my garden here developed over the last few years by posting videos on youtube. This playlist tracks the development of the area just outside the living room window which was the first part of the garden I started...
    I tried to keep a record of how my garden here developed over the last few years by posting videos on youtube. This playlist tracks the development of the area just outside the living room window...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. CarolineL
    Like x 3

Patience is a virtue with tropaeolum...

There waa a good vendor on eBay selling the roots quite reasonably. Not sure if he still trades
    There waa a good vendor on eBay selling the roots quite reasonably. Not sure if he still trades
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Victoria

Bees

I saw something on the news about it as well.On the subject of Bees. Our friend John and his friend Ivo have some 400 hives scattered around Algarve. They have been unable to do do much since...
    I saw something on the news about it as well.On the subject of Bees. Our friend John and his friend Ivo have some 400 hives scattered around Algarve. They have been unable to do do much since the fires two years ago because of the damage caused to the plant life. They are cleaning and...
    I saw something on the news about it as well.On the subject of Bees. Our friend John and his friend Ivo have some 400 hives scattered around Algarve. They have been unable to do do much since the fires two years ago because of the damage...
    I saw something on the news about it as well.On the subject of Bees. Our friend John and his friend Ivo have some 400 hives scattered around Algarve. They have been unable to do do much since...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. HarryS

1st lawn mow, when?

Thanks for all the inputs. I'll wait as usual until I can see some real growth around mid-March before I give the lawns their first crop of the season.
    Thanks for all the inputs. I'll wait as usual until I can see some real growth around mid-March before I give the lawns their first crop of the season.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. trogre

Strawberries.. Seed Compost... A. Marigolds.

Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is...
    Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is too small to be damaged by the haircut. Once this was done it opened up space & light to the new...
    Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is too small to be damaged by the haircut. Once this...
    Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Jasmine star

Cytisus Goldfinch. Broom

Thanks @pete this has been really helpful. I'll give it a go :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Mishka Grizzly

Strange mushrooms on lawn

thank you all for your replies :) I will leave these mushrooms in peace, at least for now :blue thumb:
    thank you all for your replies :) I will leave these mushrooms in peace, at least for now :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. ricky101

Aster Milady Mixed

Thanks @pete,Think we will grow some of these Asters and see what they are like, but still keep our dwarf Dahlias in that bed this year, they seem hard to beat. :)
    Thanks @pete,Think we will grow some of these Asters and see what they are like, but still keep our dwarf Dahlias in that bed this year, they seem hard to beat. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Silvio Pacitt

SAND Subsoil HELP!

Soil Science is perhaps what this question relates to. NO. I'm not going to bog you down with facts and figures.Top Soil basically refers to about the top 12-18 inches of soil. As gardeners. ...
    Soil Science is perhaps what this question relates to. NO. I'm not going to bog you down with facts and figures.Top Soil basically refers to about the top 12-18 inches of soil. As gardeners. We usually dig and cultivate in general. The top spit. The average depth of a spade or fork. ...
    Soil Science is perhaps what this question relates to. NO. I'm not going to bog you down with facts and figures.Top Soil basically refers to about the top 12-18 inches of soil. As gardeners. We usually dig and cultivate in general. The top...
    Soil Science is perhaps what this question relates to. NO. I'm not going to bog you down with facts and figures.Top Soil basically refers to about the top 12-18 inches of soil. As gardeners. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. ThePlantAssassin

Lower maintenance advice please

Think most of us oldies will be the same feeling very sore after the first few outings of the new year, the old saying, a little and often is the way to go ..??Possibly doing some gentle...
    Think most of us oldies will be the same feeling very sore after the first few outings of the new year, the old saying, a little and often is the way to go ..??Possibly doing some gentle exercise movements daily might ease your condtion enough to allow you to do some gardening, though worth...
    Think most of us oldies will be the same feeling very sore after the first few outings of the new year, the old saying, a little and often is the way to go ..??Possibly doing some gentle exercise movements daily might ease your condtion enough...
    Think most of us oldies will be the same feeling very sore after the first few outings of the new year, the old saying, a little and often is the way to go ..??Possibly doing some gentle...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. pewe

Grass clippings to compost

@Sandy Ground Thank you for raising awareness regarding paper. Most modern paper shouldn't be in the compost. They are treated and printed upon. And composting them will accumulate all that...
    @Sandy Ground Thank you for raising awareness regarding paper. Most modern paper shouldn't be in the compost. They are treated and printed upon. And composting them will accumulate all that stuff over the years. Just don't do it.
    @Sandy Ground Thank you for raising awareness regarding paper. Most modern paper shouldn't be in the compost. They are treated and printed upon. And composting them will accumulate all that stuff over the years. Just don't do it.
    @Sandy Ground Thank you for raising awareness regarding paper. Most modern paper shouldn't be in the compost. They are treated and printed upon. And composting them will accumulate all that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Victoria
    Agree x 6

Location, Location, Location ...

I put a general area in my avatar but a lot of people know where I am because I advertise when we open our garden for charity. :noidea: It's the disadvantage of doing it but is worth it as the charity...
    I put a general area in my avatar but a lot of people know where I am because I advertise when we open our garden for charity. :noidea: It's the disadvantage of doing it but is worth it as the charity benefits - over £50,000 so far. :blue thumb:
    I put a general area in my avatar but a lot of people know where I am because I advertise when we open our garden for charity. :noidea: It's the disadvantage of doing it but is worth it as the charity benefits - over £50,000 so far. :blue thumb:
    I put a general area in my avatar but a lot of people know where I am because I advertise when we open our garden for charity. :noidea: It's the disadvantage of doing it but is worth it as the charity...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. NinaCZ

Tree lily bulbs - boxed for a month. What to do?

Ah, you double posted - we replied here , in case you missed it.Tree Lily bulbs - in a box for too long? Help please!
    Ah, you double posted - we replied here , in case you missed it.Tree Lily bulbs - in a box for too long? Help please!
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Black Dog
    Like x 4

Anyone else adopting abused plants on sale?

I have done this, usually at my local supermarket, where the plants are lovely when they first come in but aren't well looked after, so deteriorate if they're not quickly sold. Some have recovered...
    I have done this, usually at my local supermarket, where the plants are lovely when they first come in but aren't well looked after, so deteriorate if they're not quickly sold. Some have recovered well, others have sadly proved too far gone and ended up in the compost heap!My best ever...
    I have done this, usually at my local supermarket, where the plants are lovely when they first come in but aren't well looked after, so deteriorate if they're not quickly sold. Some have recovered well, others have sadly proved too far gone and...
    I have done this, usually at my local supermarket, where the plants are lovely when they first come in but aren't well looked after, so deteriorate if they're not quickly sold. Some have recovered...
    006.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Boltycr78

What has happened to my new lawn?!

I would also give it a feed and top dressing at the same time. Rusty
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. ARMANDII
    Like x 11

AN AMBLE AROUND THE GARDEN TODAY

Thanks for clarifying that! :phew:
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. BassFisher

Hedge Roots killing lawn?

Ok so I don’t want to kill the conifers, they’re 25’ high in one side, my side is trimmed to 15’. They are our trees , I just would like to give our lawn a chance.
    Ok so I don’t want to kill the conifers, they’re 25’ high in one side, my side is trimmed to 15’. They are our trees , I just would like to give our lawn a chance.
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. Tinkerbelle61

Buddleia cuttings advice please

Thank you for your advice all, I will take them out of the heated propagator pronto and leave out on the bench until all this rain passes, then put them out side (out of labradors reach) during...
    Thank you for your advice all, I will take them out of the heated propagator pronto and leave out on the bench until all this rain passes, then put them out side (out of labradors reach) during the day until the spring arrives.
    Thank you for your advice all, I will take them out of the heated propagator pronto and leave out on the bench until all this rain passes, then put them out side (out of labradors reach) during the day until the spring arrives.
    Thank you for your advice all, I will take them out of the heated propagator pronto and leave out on the bench until all this rain passes, then put them out side (out of labradors reach) during...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice