Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl

Whats Looking good May 2024

Cape Daisy (Osteospermum)
    DSC00704.jpeg DSC00693.jpeg DSC00691.jpeg DSC00702.jpeg DSC00699.jpeg IMG_1808.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

I hope you can get one @Victoria, I think the leaves will be pretty even after the flowers fade and it will survive outside for you all year round.
    I hope you can get one @Victoria, I think the leaves will be pretty even after the flowers fade and it will survive outside for you all year round.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

I've potted on an osteospermum grown from a cutting, and rescued an Impatiens that was looking thoroughly miserable and being attacked by slugs. To make matters worse, ants seem to have been...
    I've potted on an osteospermum grown from a cutting, and rescued an Impatiens that was looking thoroughly miserable and being attacked by slugs. To make matters worse, ants seem to have been nesting underneath.*sighs* It's a war zone out there this yr. :th scifD36:
    I've potted on an osteospermum grown from a cutting, and rescued an Impatiens that was looking thoroughly miserable and being attacked by slugs. To make matters worse, ants seem to have been nesting underneath.*sighs* It's a war zone out...
    I've potted on an osteospermum grown from a cutting, and rescued an Impatiens that was looking thoroughly miserable and being attacked by slugs. To make matters worse, ants seem to have been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

SWEETPEAS

I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able...
    Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able to buy anything this year as don't want to add even more plants to our move :)
    Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able to buy anything this year as don't want to add...
    Yes I've had them replace a really tiny Hosta bare root they sent out last year, as it happens the original one did survive so ended up with two. Zero complaints from me...just sad not to be able...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. eddybaby

Feeding the birds, rats & neighbours!

I had exactly the same problem @eddybaby I didn’t want to stop feeding the birds, but I didn’t want to put bait down as all you’re doing is creating a vacancy for other rats and I wouldn’t want a...
    I had exactly the same problem @eddybaby I didn’t want to stop feeding the birds, but I didn’t want to put bait down as all you’re doing is creating a vacancy for other rats and I wouldn’t want a poisoned rat to be picked up by an owl or something else.So I’ve created a bird feeder that...
    I had exactly the same problem @eddybaby I didn’t want to stop feeding the birds, but I didn’t want to put bait down as all you’re doing is creating a vacancy for other rats and I wouldn’t want a poisoned rat to be picked up by an owl or...
    I had exactly the same problem @eddybaby I didn’t want to stop feeding the birds, but I didn’t want to put bait down as all you’re doing is creating a vacancy for other rats and I wouldn’t want a...
    IMG_4029.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Nickoslesteros

Rain and wind destroyed my buddlea?

Hmm. I thought I was late pruning my buddleia - I did it in (I think) March and it already had substantial new growth that was pruned off along with the old. They're tough - if the new growth gets...
    Hmm. I thought I was late pruning my buddleia - I did it in (I think) March and it already had substantial new growth that was pruned off along with the old. They're tough - if the new growth gets broken off more will grow. Flowering might be a bit later, but no later than if you hadn't prune...
    Hmm. I thought I was late pruning my buddleia - I did it in (I think) March and it already had substantial new growth that was pruned off along with the old. They're tough - if the new growth gets broken off more will grow. Flowering might be a...
    Hmm. I thought I was late pruning my buddleia - I did it in (I think) March and it already had substantial new growth that was pruned off along with the old. They're tough - if the new growth gets...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ViewAhead

"Distressed" garden ornaments

It has worked for me 3 times this week alone. :biggrin: I suspect it is almost standard now for sellers to automatically send out discounts if you show interest.@JennyJB, I have taken on board your...
    It has worked for me 3 times this week alone. :biggrin: I suspect it is almost standard now for sellers to automatically send out discounts if you show interest.@JennyJB, I have taken on board your advice and put one of my spare ferns in a light coloured container on the ground in the crook of the L....
    It has worked for me 3 times this week alone. :biggrin: I suspect it is almost standard now for sellers to automatically send out discounts if you show interest.@JennyJB, I have taken on board your advice and put one of my spare ferns in a light...
    It has worked for me 3 times this week alone. :biggrin: I suspect it is almost standard now for sellers to automatically send out discounts if you show interest.@JennyJB, I have taken on board your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. balthazar

How to cut very tough creeper on ground + brushcutter advice

I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works....
    I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works. A brush cutter normally has the metal blade - it's necessary for these robust and wiry stems. It's...
    I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works. A brush cutter normally has the metal blade - it's...
    I have woodland with lots of ivy and thick bramble stems that I am trying to control. I have found that using a hedge trimmer to clear the tall wavy stems, and then a brush cutter low down works....
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. NurseJayne

Garden drainage

You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to...
    You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to play etc, it often isn't worth doing too much to the grass, but if it's for planting, it's always...
    You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to play etc, it often isn't worth doing too much to...
    You'd need tons and tons of grit for it to be of any use. Organic matter is always better, but if it's to improve 'just grass' that isn't feasible. If you want a half decent spot for your son to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Javidr

Another tree dying in my garden

Ceonothus don't like wet or cold conditions, they much prefer a warm free draining spot, so although it wasn't particularly cold for most of us it was very wet and with heavy soil, you might have...
    Ceonothus don't like wet or cold conditions, they much prefer a warm free draining spot, so although it wasn't particularly cold for most of us it was very wet and with heavy soil, you might have an issue.
    Ceonothus don't like wet or cold conditions, they much prefer a warm free draining spot, so although it wasn't particularly cold for most of us it was very wet and with heavy soil, you might have an issue.
    Ceonothus don't like wet or cold conditions, they much prefer a warm free draining spot, so although it wasn't particularly cold for most of us it was very wet and with heavy soil, you might have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. RDB85

Battery Powered Hayter Mower or Push Mower

This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm....
    This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm. Most of the rain fell on 8th-9th-10th, 15th-16th and 21st-22nd, leaving plenty of grass-cutting...
    This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm. Most of the rain fell on 8th-9th-10th, 15th-16th...
    This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm....
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Goldenlily26

No dig gardening

interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they...
    interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they used a lot of mulch.
    interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they used a lot of mulch.
    interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. NoviceGardener2023

Trimming Rosemary

The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we...
    The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we continue to get the warm winters we've had for the last few years here, that might change, but it's...
    The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we continue to get the warm winters we've had for the...
    The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope. I expect if we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Javidr

Lavender parasite

Spittlebug...
    Spittlebug...
    Spittlebug...
    Spittlebug...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Plantminded

Planning and Planting a Border - What Do You Do?

Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left...
    Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left nightmares in me. The garden was strange too. They had 3 rows of bed-lawn-bed like below. There were I...
    Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left nightmares in me. The garden was strange too. They...
    Your garden is miles ahead of what I have seen and meant to express @Plantminded I remember when we went to Tyntesfield, a must have seen I was told. What an awful house, that Gothic style left...
    IMG_0519.JPG IMG_9503.JPG DSC01036.jpeg DSC01652.jpeg DSC01165.jpeg exsample.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Javidr
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. gks
    Agree x 3

Should supermarkets be banned from selling plants

I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course...
    I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course and is still going strong. I am just about decided to chuck out the Schefflera because after being...
    I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course and is still going strong. I am just about decided...
    I adopted some houseplants that had been left by the previous owner when we bought the house in 1988, and they looked as if they'd been pretty much neglected. The Sanseveria didn't mind of course...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Ricky Spangle

What are you upto this weekend?

@Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw...
    @Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw him. He was wandering around and said "Auntie Ros, have you seen the dust on the top of here?" ...
    @Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw him. He was wandering around and said "Auntie...
    @Goldenlily26 your comment about a 'kick up the ....' reminded me of an incident quite a few years ago. My wife's sister and her kids came round and our nephew had shot up since last time we saw...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. HedgeGuy

New hornbeam hedge pruning questions - how much, how often

Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through...
    Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through for the most part. To encourage this, I plan on pruning the outward growth while leaving the leader...
    Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through for the most part. To encourage this, I plan on...
    Hi all,Last November we had around 100 metres of 60-90cm Hornbeam bare root whips planted at 5-7 per metre.We're ultimately wanting them to turn into one tall hedge that can't be seen through...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. BB3

I D please

Smallish very full front garden. It'd have a job to spread. But I'm on to it now anyway:paladin: So long as it behaves it can stay
    Smallish very full front garden. It'd have a job to spread. But I'm on to it now anyway:paladin: So long as it behaves it can stay
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Mattyp

Growing zinnia from seed-potting out

Ah I see, this variety says it's about 30cm tall, I think that's quite short for zinnia, might need to support them perhaps
    Ah I see, this variety says it's about 30cm tall, I think that's quite short for zinnia, might need to support them perhaps
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. hailbopp
    Informative x 3

Promising protection against slugs.

No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that...
    No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that their favourites were awkward to destroy and turned their onslaught onto the clump of Ligularia that...
    No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that their favourites were awkward to destroy and...
    No @JWK I put the fleece round the Hostas I was more fussed about as only had a limited supply of fleece. Poor old Ligularia got absolutely slaughtered as the slugs were obviously pis.ed off that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Spruce

Bathsheba (David Austin Rose)

Oh that's ok, it'll be perfectly fine on a fence with wires..
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Javidr

Removing apple tree bottom branches

The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet...
    The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet from the trunk. It's not this simple but for young trees the roots will probably be around the width...
    The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet from the trunk. It's not this simple but for young...
    The branches feed the trees and you will always have more growth from the upper parts of the tree because its where most of the energy goes.With the grass it's an idea to cut away a few feet...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice