Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

WHATS LOOKING GOOD IN JULY 2019

HelloNandina (Fire Power)
    20190701_173918.jpg 20190701_173928.jpg 20190701_173937.jpg 20190701_173957.jpg cottage.jpg 15620707435741093478352.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

I watered a friend’s garden for her this morning, as they are away on holiday. By the time I’d done my morning chores, and got back home it was getting too hot, so I’m hiding inside until the sun...
    I watered a friend’s garden for her this morning, as they are away on holiday. By the time I’d done my morning chores, and got back home it was getting too hot, so I’m hiding inside until the sun eases.... 35c is too hot for us all today!!
    I watered a friend’s garden for her this morning, as they are away on holiday. By the time I’d done my morning chores, and got back home it was getting too hot, so I’m hiding inside until the sun eases.... 35c is too hot for us all today!!
    I watered a friend’s garden for her this morning, as they are away on holiday. By the time I’d done my morning chores, and got back home it was getting too hot, so I’m hiding inside until the sun...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring property. So it's really shaded already. I want it...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing, thinking that every Spring I can reuse the basket...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing,...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and then planted them out in one of our newly created...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    DSCF1427.JPG Red Twister 2014.jpg octopus hugs 2014 002.JPG 002.JPG Planet Max 2014.jpg one hot mama 2015 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

Finally I can join in again! Watsonia pillansii came through the winter unscathed and came into bloom today............ Watsonia pillansii by longk48, on Flickr
    Finally I can join in again! Watsonia pillansii came through the winter unscathed and came into bloom today............ Watsonia pillansii by longk48, on Flickr
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

One of the Fuchsias was in a tub, the other out in the garden. The one in the garden was not watered at all. There are none of the symptoms of Gall mite, no distortion of leaves or anything, they...
    One of the Fuchsias was in a tub, the other out in the garden. The one in the garden was not watered at all. There are none of the symptoms of Gall mite, no distortion of leaves or anything, they just drop off, still dark green and healthy looking.
    One of the Fuchsias was in a tub, the other out in the garden. The one in the garden was not watered at all. There are none of the symptoms of Gall mite, no distortion of leaves or anything, they just drop off, still dark green and healthy looking.
    One of the Fuchsias was in a tub, the other out in the garden. The one in the garden was not watered at all. There are none of the symptoms of Gall mite, no distortion of leaves or anything, they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. NigelJ
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Right I'll do that then.I'll get you some sorted then to go with the :"Blue Lips " :)My Dolichantha hasn't flowered this year yet but it has been a little neglected and not watered as often as...
    Right I'll do that then.I'll get you some sorted then to go with the :"Blue Lips " :)My Dolichantha hasn't flowered this year yet but it has been a little neglected and not watered as often as it should have been. It has spread quite nicely though so I don't mind it having some time off if...
    Right I'll do that then.I'll get you some sorted then to go with the :"Blue Lips " :)My Dolichantha hasn't flowered this year yet but it has been a little neglected and not watered as often as it should have been. It has spread quite nicely...
    Right I'll do that then.I'll get you some sorted then to go with the :"Blue Lips " :)My Dolichantha hasn't flowered this year yet but it has been a little neglected and not watered as often as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lowrider69

SOWING SEEDS 2019?

@Joolz well when I read up on them it said they need long hours of light to germinate and to be at a temp they like which i think was around the 23c but my room was only around 19-20c. buy some...
    @Joolz well when I read up on them it said they need long hours of light to germinate and to be at a temp they like which i think was around the 23c but my room was only around 19-20c. buy some cheap plant LED lights for around a tenner off ebay and put them on a timer for around 12 hours a...
    @Joolz well when I read up on them it said they need long hours of light to germinate and to be at a temp they like which i think was around the 23c but my room was only around 19-20c. buy some cheap plant LED lights for around a tenner off ebay...
    @Joolz well when I read up on them it said they need long hours of light to germinate and to be at a temp they like which i think was around the 23c but my room was only around 19-20c. buy some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Delightful Ian :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  18.   » Normal Threads
  19. LuckyTurnips

New Rose Bush Doing Badly

Good morning @LuckyTurnips and welcome my friend ,I would say it looks like the soil ,the roots don't like it,it hasn't been pruned correctly,try the finger nail test just lightly scrape some of...
    Good morning @LuckyTurnips and welcome my friend ,I would say it looks like the soil ,the roots don't like it,it hasn't been pruned correctly,try the finger nail test just lightly scrape some of the canes to see if they are green underneath,if it were my rose I would cut it back tidy it up and...
    Good morning @LuckyTurnips and welcome my friend ,I would say it looks like the soil ,the roots don't like it,it hasn't been pruned correctly,try the finger nail test just lightly scrape some of the canes to see if they are green underneath,if it...
    Good morning @LuckyTurnips and welcome my friend ,I would say it looks like the soil ,the roots don't like it,it hasn't been pruned correctly,try the finger nail test just lightly scrape some of...
    IMG_20190723_094747.jpg IMG_20190723_104640.jpg IMG_20190723_104637.jpg 59274.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mazambo

Dichondra Silver Falls

That dischondra is actually really nice once it gets going, grew it in a hanging basket a few years ago. @mazambo Certainly no expert here, but I would cut after that third large leaf which is...
    That dischondra is actually really nice once it gets going, grew it in a hanging basket a few years ago. @mazambo Certainly no expert here, but I would cut after that third large leaf which is what I think KFF is suggesting, should be enough to sustain your new plant.Nick
    That dischondra is actually really nice once it gets going, grew it in a hanging basket a few years ago. @mazambo Certainly no expert here, but I would cut after that third large leaf which is what I think KFF is suggesting, should be enough to...
    That dischondra is actually really nice once it gets going, grew it in a hanging basket a few years ago. @mazambo Certainly no expert here, but I would cut after that third large leaf which is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Noob gardener

Fresh garden

That’s great, looks so much better. If you see a problem with the grass we have a lawn section, just post away and feel free to join in the rest of the forum as we are a happy bunch
    That’s great, looks so much better. If you see a problem with the grass we have a lawn section, just post away and feel free to join in the rest of the forum as we are a happy bunch
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

EXCEPTIONAL GROWTH AND FLOWERING

LOL Yes, but what species of thistle, Pete? We've got loads of 'em in Britain!Nick
    LOL Yes, but what species of thistle, Pete? We've got loads of 'em in Britain!Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. hoofy

Where to get soil sample probe

That’s it, you calibrate a drop spreader by measuring the amount dropped over a set distance and do it several times to get an average. Walking speed is what dictates the flow to some extent which...
    That’s it, you calibrate a drop spreader by measuring the amount dropped over a set distance and do it several times to get an average. Walking speed is what dictates the flow to some extent which is the same as liquid feeding. It’s being constant that gives the results once you know the output.
    That’s it, you calibrate a drop spreader by measuring the amount dropped over a set distance and do it several times to get an average. Walking speed is what dictates the flow to some extent which is the same as liquid feeding. It’s being...
    That’s it, you calibrate a drop spreader by measuring the amount dropped over a set distance and do it several times to get an average. Walking speed is what dictates the flow to some extent which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Mondomondo

Why is this...?

@MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia,...
    @MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia, rubus or when they are dormant. Others are pruned after the winter as the new growth might be damaged...
    @MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia, rubus or when they are dormant. Others are pruned...
    @MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Ian Taylor

RHS Tatton Show

I may go weather permitting , if I do go I am sure I'll pop in and have a look around.
    I may go weather permitting , if I do go I am sure I'll pop in and have a look around.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Who am I?

Sunlight quality.

was frightened that the birds would fly into it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. MattC76

Hydrangea looking a bit sad

Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost...
    Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost growth. No cutting off the flowers will not really make much of a difference to growth. Remove flowers next...
    Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost growth. No cutting off the flowers will not really make...
    Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. kriss

Prunus / Malus

I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the...
    I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the right shape and ensure all its growth goes in the right places to maximise shade?Or is it too late...
    I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the right shape and ensure all its growth goes in the...
    I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. zoecarter_

How can I help my buxus!

My action would be to sort the drainage out first. Not keen on bonemeal ....I know it’s often recommended It might be blight but first things first.....the drainage. And I wouldn’t repot just now :)
    My action would be to sort the drainage out first. Not keen on bonemeal ....I know it’s often recommended It might be blight but first things first.....the drainage. And I wouldn’t repot just now :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Dpk

help on pruning these back

It is a rhododendron but is already flowered for this year.I would do as verdun says with the hypericum and then judge the shape of the rhodi yourself, if its leggy and all over the place cut...
    It is a rhododendron but is already flowered for this year.I would do as verdun says with the hypericum and then judge the shape of the rhodi yourself, if its leggy and all over the place cut that back hard as well about 30cm / foot from the ground or higher pending on how well its shaped .
    It is a rhododendron but is already flowered for this year.I would do as verdun says with the hypericum and then judge the shape of the rhodi yourself, if its leggy and all over the place cut that back hard as well about 30cm / foot from the...
    It is a rhododendron but is already flowered for this year.I would do as verdun says with the hypericum and then judge the shape of the rhodi yourself, if its leggy and all over the place cut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. lolimac

Show and tell...

Beginners luck perhaps. I thought they were doomed when I saw the lily beetle.Mind you, can’t say the same for my hosta as shown above. Slug breakfast, dinner and tea!
    Beginners luck perhaps. I thought they were doomed when I saw the lily beetle.Mind you, can’t say the same for my hosta as shown above. Slug breakfast, dinner and tea!
    P1100760.JPG 7349606B-EF2F-4905-ACDF-78EADCE4229B.jpeg PIV.JPG A2962E67-261C-4F80-B909-EFDB0381949E.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Robo44

Poppies

Welcome to the forum! Try to let them mature as long as you can before collecting seeds. Worse come to worse, make a note of their name and then you'll know what to order if you have to. :)
    Welcome to the forum! Try to let them mature as long as you can before collecting seeds. Worse come to worse, make a note of their name and then you'll know what to order if you have to. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. cindy

poorly tomatoes

They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may...
    They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may have washed the nutrients out of the compost so I would try a half dose of Tomorite or similar tomato...
    They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may have washed the nutrients out of the compost so I...
    They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Selleri

How much do you water your garden? Greeny thoughts.

The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level...
    The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level drops. Lawn never gets watered even when it goes brown. It’ll recover in autumn. I also water...
    The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level drops. Lawn never gets watered even when it goes...
    The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. andrews

Harvesting Seed - Will I Get the Same Next Year ?

Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then...
    Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then bring them on in the tunnel
    Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then bring them on in the tunnel
    Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. wiseowl

Moving Oxeye Daisies?

Good morning @KFF my friend thank you for that,they are Leucanthemum Vulgare (May Queen)
    Good morning @KFF my friend thank you for that,they are Leucanthemum Vulgare (May Queen)
    P1020001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. kr236rk

Herbs - watering?

Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come...
    Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come spring? Have since replanted.
    Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come spring? Have since replanted.
    Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. HarryS

Wild Flower Sowing ?

Cheers Mike, I'll make sure they are well watered, and we can see what pops up!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice