Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 9

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN NOVEMBER 19

Thanks @KFF :blue thumb:Although listed as a perennial they certainly don't survive in our garden even when planted in a sheltered spot :noidea: We have even tried them alongside a West facing fence in amongst...
    Thanks @KFF :blue thumb:Although listed as a perennial they certainly don't survive in our garden even when planted in a sheltered spot :noidea: We have even tried them alongside a West facing fence in amongst perennial grasses but as they aren't cold tolerant much below 35F, even with a mulch, it's better to...
    Thanks @KFF :blue thumb:Although listed as a perennial they certainly don't survive in our garden even when planted in a sheltered spot :noidea: We have even tried them alongside a West facing fence in amongst perennial grasses but as they aren't cold tolerant...
    Thanks @KFF :blue thumb:Although listed as a perennial they certainly don't survive in our garden even when planted in a sheltered spot :noidea: We have even tried them alongside a West facing fence in amongst...
    upload_2019-11-2_20-45-48.png 87E81C99-EBAE-47D0-B2F1-2F00C67C2C56.jpeg IMG_3935.JPG IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3946.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic turned up in two days and is looking great.
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    D404CC13-CEE2-4989-9F24-E4FE43B88B2A.jpeg upload_2019-8-23_10-8-49.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

The garden looks really bad at the moment. Being away so much over the last two months, the lawnmower breaking down 2 weeks ago halfway through the cut, and then a couple of frosts (hard work...
    The garden looks really bad at the moment. Being away so much over the last two months, the lawnmower breaking down 2 weeks ago halfway through the cut, and then a couple of frosts (hard work scraping the car clear at 9am on Sunday)....Yesterday, when I had a bit of spare muscle - aka hubby -...
    The garden looks really bad at the moment. Being away so much over the last two months, the lawnmower breaking down 2 weeks ago halfway through the cut, and then a couple of frosts (hard work scraping the car clear at 9am on...
    The garden looks really bad at the moment. Being away so much over the last two months, the lawnmower breaking down 2 weeks ago halfway through the cut, and then a couple of frosts (hard work...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring property. So it's really shaded already. I want it...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing, thinking that every Spring I can reuse the basket...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing,...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and then planted them out in one of our newly created...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    DSCF1427.JPG Red Twister 2014.jpg octopus hugs 2014 002.JPG 002.JPG Planet Max 2014.jpg one hot mama 2015 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

@CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones can get battered with the weather. The C laevigatus does better with the weather, being a bit smaller...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones can get battered with the weather. The C laevigatus...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. NigelJ
    Like x 5

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia corrugataSalvia miniata Salvia coccineaSalvia atrocyanea Salvia "Amistad"
    Salvia corrugataSalvia miniata Salvia coccineaSalvia atrocyanea Salvia "Amistad"
    Salvia corrugata.JPG Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue.JPG Salvia curviflora.JPG Salvia Amisted.JPG P1080233.jpg P1080234.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. lowrider69

SOWING SEEDS 2019?

Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Naughty is my middle name, Caroline:dunno::heehee: And, besides, you know you really need to go to the Nursery, walk around, see those lovely plants (that you really, really need), and not buy them.:whistle::heehee:
    Naughty is my middle name, Caroline:dunno::heehee: And, besides, you know you really need to go to the Nursery, walk around, see those lovely plants (that you really, really need), and not buy them.:whistle::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  19.   » Normal Threads
  20. Nikolaos

Overwintering plants in a greenhouse

This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find ourselves perhaps underestimating the plants ability to withstand the traumas of life. I wonder. ...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find ourselves perhaps underestimating the plants ability...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. mint

Curry leaf plant identification

Could even be a common type of Cassia, looks like a leguminous plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. gardening lassie

Planting suggestions under tree

Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing section maybe go for lavender, helianthemum, dianthus, bulbous things like alliums, dwarf irises,...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing section maybe go for lavender, helianthemum,...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Craigy16ed

Spring flowering bulbs

Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and dividing plant a little further apart than suggested then it takes longer to get to that point. I...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and dividing plant a little further apart than...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. RandyRos

Need advice on choosing a shrub pls

To add to Armando's list, also consider Philadelphus and Forsythia.Another aspect of those dimensions is the growth habit. You need to think whether you want a Cousin It kind of thicket, a vase...
    To add to Armando's list, also consider Philadelphus and Forsythia.Another aspect of those dimensions is the growth habit. You need to think whether you want a Cousin It kind of thicket, a vase shaped cluster of stems, or a small standard tree. In the middle of a lawn, I'd suggest the latter...
    To add to Armando's list, also consider Philadelphus and Forsythia.Another aspect of those dimensions is the growth habit. You need to think whether you want a Cousin It kind of thicket, a vase shaped cluster of stems, or a small standard tree....
    To add to Armando's list, also consider Philadelphus and Forsythia.Another aspect of those dimensions is the growth habit. You need to think whether you want a Cousin It kind of thicket, a vase...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Fat Controller

Heavy Duty Incinerator

Chimera.As our local tip now charges £60 to dispose of a small shed, my £5.82 chimnea is now an even bigger bargain.
    Chimera.As our local tip now charges £60 to dispose of a small shed, my £5.82 chimnea is now an even bigger bargain.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. fjordaan

When to plant lavender, and how close together?

Oh, I knew that, Caroline:love30:. It was just that I thought it needed clarifying so that fjordaan, didn't make the mistake that some of my friends did of cutting back the Lavender too far:dunno:
    Oh, I knew that, Caroline:love30:. It was just that I thought it needed clarifying so that fjordaan, didn't make the mistake that some of my friends did of cutting back the Lavender too far:dunno:
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Upsydaisy

Should I or shouldn't I??????

just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even...
    just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even Alliums come up. I thought we were not talking about "Bulbs" but the more tender plants such as the...
    just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even Alliums come up. I thought we were not talking about...
    just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ennnceee

Best time to prune Verbena Bonariensis

Thanks all!
    Thanks all!
    Thanks all!
    Thanks all!
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. noisette47

Onion sets..a cry for help!

Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be...
    Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be lurking somewhere around in France, you know we will be wanting some..... :biggrin:
    Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be lurking somewhere around in France, you know we will...
    Absolutely no need - as I said, it was a gift from Ricky and I - even the postage was split between us. Besides, when you find that particularly excellent version of garlic that is bound to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. luciusmaximus

Pruning a large Hebe

I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge...
    I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge cutter to them. :rolleyespink: Did it a couple of weeks ago.
    I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge cutter to them. :rolleyespink: Did it a couple of weeks ago.
    I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge...
    P1390772.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. guyloup

Dahlias for cutflowers. Sizes of them

@guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by type, colour, height and bloom size. I’ve randomly checked some of the dahlias on your list and...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by type, colour, height and bloom size. I’ve...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Jack Sparrow

Heather

Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established and needs cutting back as it gets a bit out of hand. It flowers from mid-October to April.Picture...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established and needs cutting back as it gets a bit out of...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established...
    DSCN0952[1].JPG P1410377.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Perki
    Like x 17

Whats Looking Good in October 2019

Christmas Cactus. Parent and younger sibling.
    DSC00917.JPG DSC00920.JPG DSC00921.JPG DSC00923.JPG DSC00924.JPG DSC00930.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Perki

Replace Grapevine with Seedless variety ?

Deacons Nursery also have Canadice and Interlaken which are white seedless, or Himrod which they recommend
    Deacons Nursery also have Canadice and Interlaken which are white seedless, or Himrod which they recommend
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Tom Radford

Vertical Garden

I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible...
    I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible fruits to grow.
    I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible fruits to grow.
    I am working on a vertical garden project for my GCSE DT project. I was wondering if there are any vertical garden whizzes out there which could help with plants, herbs vegetables and possible...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Soys

Urgent pear tree help needed :)

Thats the thing iv looked but there really hard to find :( that would defo be my easiest option
    Thats the thing iv looked but there really hard to find :( that would defo be my easiest option
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Spruce

Autumn Lawn time , who is doing what

:autlvs:until January. ton of leaves fall here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Jack Sparrow

Mahonia Caberet

@Jack Sparrow conflicting advice i know but having googled "do mahonia grow in shade" there are a few sites that suggest they do, maybe it would be worth a try.
    @Jack Sparrow conflicting advice i know but having googled "do mahonia grow in shade" there are a few sites that suggest they do, maybe it would be worth a try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Scott2019

Anyone know what this is?

Thank you everyone, I’ve looked it up and I’d agree it looks like worm casts.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice