Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Like x 13

What's Looking Good in July 2020

Lovely @NigelJ ....you never cease to amaze me by knowing all the names of your plants.......I think I'm beyond hope of such an achievement. :)
    Lovely @NigelJ ....you never cease to amaze me by knowing all the names of your plants.......I think I'm beyond hope of such an achievement. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    I do like the black one with a hint of blue - Black suited :blue thumb: they are all nice though .
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    Over wintered in the greenhouse and the two Callibrchoa survived and are now flowering well.Cherry Ripple petunias, Dichondra Silver Falls from seedlings found in the greenhouse.
    pot.JPG basket 1.JPG IMG_1540.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

DAY LILY - 2020

No, still very nice! I have just bought one this week - Blackberry something.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2020

I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on...
    I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on the bottom shelf of some greenhouse staging covered with some fleece to keep the sun off for about a...
    I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on the bottom shelf of some greenhouse staging covered...
    I have just had some species gladiolus seed start to germinate, along with Hesperanatha (Schizostylis ) coccinea, Freesia leichtlini and Hesperantha vaginata. These have been in a propagator on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS 2020

I can’t help you with the ‘rust’ (?), but I do think they do much better outside, with the fresh air.
    I can’t help you with the ‘rust’ (?), but I do think they do much better outside, with the fresh air.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY 2020

The first of this year's early Bearded Iris
    Iris reticulata.JPG Crocus malyi.JPG Hesperantha coccinea.JPG Crocus sieberii Tricolour.JPG Gladiolus uysiae M.JPG Gladiolus uysiae.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2020

Salvia guaranatica "Black and Blue"
    Salvia guaranitica.JPG Salvia corrugata.JPG Salvia Amisted 2.JPG Salvia involucrata 2.JPG Salvia guaranitica 3.JPG Salvia greggii seedlimg.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2020

Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area would be nice. It all looks very nice in my head...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES 2020

And the rest of the delivered order.........Bord de MerPirates QuestCathedral de ChichesterRomancePlus four free Iris.........AzyadeAfternoon in RioCascade SpringsBelgian...
    And the rest of the delivered order.........Bord de MerPirates QuestCathedral de ChichesterRomancePlus four free Iris.........AzyadeAfternoon in RioCascade SpringsBelgian PrincessSo I'm off out into the garden to pot them all up and then decided where they will go on...
    And the rest of the delivered order.........Bord de MerPirates QuestCathedral de ChichesterRomancePlus four free Iris.........AzyadeAfternoon in RioCascade SpringsBelgian PrincessSo I'm off out into the garden to pot...
    And the rest of the delivered order.........Bord de MerPirates QuestCathedral de ChichesterRomancePlus four free Iris.........AzyadeAfternoon in RioCascade SpringsBelgian...
    upload_2020-1-21_21-59-39.png P1310991.JPG upload_2020-1-29_14-13-53.jpeg upload_2020-2-1_14-12-20.jpeg received_266826414294127.jpeg received_466667260696932.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

That looks nice and cosy :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2020

@CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    @CarolineL Salvias, heucheras, geraniums and hemerocallis all have so many very similar varieties; maybe that's one reason why I like species, I can generally tell the difference between them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. andrews
    Like x 6

Anyone Buying Seed For 2020 ?

Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Thanks @ricky101 under £8 So should be ok there, I'll email the seller and ask if they are restricted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

I have used this seller on ebay for some Miss Saori hydeanges, good quality plants turned up quickly and they are now growing nicely.Plants & Gardens
    I have used this seller on ebay for some Miss Saori hydeanges, good quality plants turned up quickly and they are now growing nicely.Plants & Gardens
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots growing. I'm not confident enough to separate them...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and they seemed fine (see below) One had new shoots...
    Brilliant thread. Having moved home last year I thought my Dahlia tubers had got lost but I stumbled across them the other day. I pulled a couple out of one large pot to see if they were ok and...
    20200425_154448.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Kristen

Kristen's Project

It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    It's coming on a treat Kristen despite the occasional hiccup. What amazes me with the bigger projects of yours is how this all comes together in your mind. Do you actually manage to sleep at night? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  23.   » Normal Threads
  24. Emaggie

A Tale of Woe...

my "everlasting" sweet peas have been utter poop this year too. No sign of any flowers as yet. They usually go mad.
    my "everlasting" sweet peas have been utter poop this year too. No sign of any flowers as yet. They usually go mad.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Jack Sparrow

What's wrong with my pear tree?

Over watering or under watering. Only you can work out which ;).Failing that some nasty root pest.
    Over watering or under watering. Only you can work out which ;).Failing that some nasty root pest.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Joolz

When to cut hedges...

Trees should not be cut back during the nesting season either for exactly the same reason.
    Trees should not be cut back during the nesting season either for exactly the same reason.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Adam1116

Help! Diseased/dying areas in new turf.

Will do, thank you very much
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Mishka Grizzly

Is my Gaillardia Grandiflora dying?

Dig it up and have a look, its only been there a week so you will be able to tell. Peat based composts dry out and are difficult to rewet.
    Dig it up and have a look, its only been there a week so you will be able to tell. Peat based composts dry out and are difficult to rewet.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. thedirtysalad

Bok Choi question.

Hi all. So I'm a day or two away from harvesting some baby bok choi. I had heard in the past that Bok Choi works as a cut and grow again plant as long as you leave a few inches of the bottom part...
    Hi all. So I'm a day or two away from harvesting some baby bok choi. I had heard in the past that Bok Choi works as a cut and grow again plant as long as you leave a few inches of the bottom part of the plant in the soil when you harvest. Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with...
    Hi all. So I'm a day or two away from harvesting some baby bok choi. I had heard in the past that Bok Choi works as a cut and grow again plant as long as you leave a few inches of the bottom part of the plant in the soil when you harvest. Is...
    Hi all. So I'm a day or two away from harvesting some baby bok choi. I had heard in the past that Bok Choi works as a cut and grow again plant as long as you leave a few inches of the bottom part...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Spruce

PHYGELIUS / CAPE FUCHSIA HOW TO GET THEM TO RE-FLOWER

I've got one that hasn't flowered for years, must admit I dont do much to it and it never really puts out any strong growth.I do see others that grow really well and flower very well, so dont...
    I've got one that hasn't flowered for years, must admit I dont do much to it and it never really puts out any strong growth.I do see others that grow really well and flower very well, so dont know the answer.:biggrin:
    I've got one that hasn't flowered for years, must admit I dont do much to it and it never really puts out any strong growth.I do see others that grow really well and flower very well, so dont know the answer.:biggrin:
    I've got one that hasn't flowered for years, must admit I dont do much to it and it never really puts out any strong growth.I do see others that grow really well and flower very well, so dont...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. steevjp

Whats going wrong?

WIll do, they sit in the propogator tray but ive turned the heat off, but did have the lids on, ill stop doing that for now.thanks again
    WIll do, they sit in the propogator tray but ive turned the heat off, but did have the lids on, ill stop doing that for now.thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. southerner

Anybody built their own greenhouse?

@flounder that is too funny! I waited until I was finished before imbibing as I had to do it on my own. The only thing that made things difficult for me was that I really needed longer arms for...
    @flounder that is too funny! I waited until I was finished before imbibing as I had to do it on my own. The only thing that made things difficult for me was that I really needed longer arms for the job. Lots of creative clamping happened to substitute for having a helper. Took me a day for each...
    @flounder that is too funny! I waited until I was finished before imbibing as I had to do it on my own. The only thing that made things difficult for me was that I really needed longer arms for the job. Lots of creative clamping happened to...
    @flounder that is too funny! I waited until I was finished before imbibing as I had to do it on my own. The only thing that made things difficult for me was that I really needed longer arms for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Bob Newey

Advice please regarding waterside flowers

Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads...
    Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads on here and I marvel at the passion and dedication of some of you. We also really enjoy admiring...
    Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads on here and I marvel at the passion and dedication...
    Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. HarryS

To Prune or not to Prune, Olive tree

It will be 'Nobler in the mind' to take above advice. A larger pot for sure. Possibly tea.Vince that is extremely fortunate. I was given one years ago but it passed away.. I apportioned blame to...
    It will be 'Nobler in the mind' to take above advice. A larger pot for sure. Possibly tea.Vince that is extremely fortunate. I was given one years ago but it passed away.. I apportioned blame to the chilly Winters here.
    It will be 'Nobler in the mind' to take above advice. A larger pot for sure. Possibly tea.Vince that is extremely fortunate. I was given one years ago but it passed away.. I apportioned blame to the chilly Winters here.
    It will be 'Nobler in the mind' to take above advice. A larger pot for sure. Possibly tea.Vince that is extremely fortunate. I was given one years ago but it passed away.. I apportioned blame to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Cordy

Saving Delphinium seeds

Nice 4mm thick basal cuttings in spring is best.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Mishka Grizzly

Border edging ideas

Much depends upon whether the bed/border is higher than the lawn. If the bed/border is higher. Then perhaps some kind of raised edging.If Bed/border are roughly the smae level. Then forget...
    Much depends upon whether the bed/border is higher than the lawn. If the bed/border is higher. Then perhaps some kind of raised edging.If Bed/border are roughly the smae level. Then forget edging boards or fancy decorative bits and bobs. Simply cut a good edge and on the bed/border side, a...
    Much depends upon whether the bed/border is higher than the lawn. If the bed/border is higher. Then perhaps some kind of raised edging.If Bed/border are roughly the smae level. Then forget edging boards or fancy decorative bits and bobs. ...
    Much depends upon whether the bed/border is higher than the lawn. If the bed/border is higher. Then perhaps some kind of raised edging.If Bed/border are roughly the smae level. Then forget...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Sheal

Pleached trees

It may do Pete. Not the best of ideas and as Nigel said they would need plenty of water in summer. It's an idea visited and now pretty much discarded, my other ideas mean garden re-design. :)
    It may do Pete. Not the best of ideas and as Nigel said they would need plenty of water in summer. It's an idea visited and now pretty much discarded, my other ideas mean garden re-design. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. thedirtysalad

Potato plants laying over - Advice?

Glad to hear that... that's great. Thank you all for the help. It's very much appreciated.
    Glad to hear that... that's great. Thank you all for the help. It's very much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Kevin Cowans

Turf transplanting advice required.

Hello @perkinsThanks for the reply.I will place it on a cooler part of the garden and keep it watered.ThanksKevin
    Hello @perkinsThanks for the reply.I will place it on a cooler part of the garden and keep it watered.ThanksKevin
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. rhino666

My Torbay Palm appears to be dying?

Yes it is strange how they just seem to suddenly give up. But when mine died back there seemed to be reports of it happening quite widely at that time. But it wasn't weather related I don't think.
    Yes it is strange how they just seem to suddenly give up. But when mine died back there seemed to be reports of it happening quite widely at that time. But it wasn't weather related I don't think.
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Mishka Grizzly

Weedol on new lawn

Hi,Your best bet is to mark out a small area of lawn and treat that and leave it for at least a week to see if the young grass is unaffected,before treating the rest otherwise you could end up...
    Hi,Your best bet is to mark out a small area of lawn and treat that and leave it for at least a week to see if the young grass is unaffected,before treating the rest otherwise you could end up with a sorry state.Be careful with your dilution, mixing and application rate as too much and it...
    Hi,Your best bet is to mark out a small area of lawn and treat that and leave it for at least a week to see if the young grass is unaffected,before treating the rest otherwise you could end up with a sorry state.Be careful with your dilution,...
    Hi,Your best bet is to mark out a small area of lawn and treat that and leave it for at least a week to see if the young grass is unaffected,before treating the rest otherwise you could end up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. Janet mahay

Need ADVICE

Hi,Hmmm... at 6ft tall doubt that will be having that much impact on the surrounding ground more than a few feet from its trunk.Suspect the problem may be the strange weather this year has so...
    Hi,Hmmm... at 6ft tall doubt that will be having that much impact on the surrounding ground more than a few feet from its trunk.Suspect the problem may be the strange weather this year has so far produced. Lots of rain to wash away the nurtients, then long hot dry spells, many plants are...
    Hi,Hmmm... at 6ft tall doubt that will be having that much impact on the surrounding ground more than a few feet from its trunk.Suspect the problem may be the strange weather this year has so far produced. Lots of rain to wash away the...
    Hi,Hmmm... at 6ft tall doubt that will be having that much impact on the surrounding ground more than a few feet from its trunk.Suspect the problem may be the strange weather this year has so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Chrislisi1982

Help identifying these shrubs / plants

The best time to prune nandina is in winter, when it is dormant. As far as how, the books recommend cutting about a quarter of the stems down to the ground. Then cut a third of the total stem...
    The best time to prune nandina is in winter, when it is dormant. As far as how, the books recommend cutting about a quarter of the stems down to the ground. Then cut a third of the total stem height off one out of every four remaining stems.
    The best time to prune nandina is in winter, when it is dormant. As far as how, the books recommend cutting about a quarter of the stems down to the ground. Then cut a third of the total stem height off one out of every four remaining stems.
    The best time to prune nandina is in winter, when it is dormant. As far as how, the books recommend cutting about a quarter of the stems down to the ground. Then cut a third of the total stem...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice