Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. NigelJ
    Like x 11

What's Looking Good In March 2019

Looking superb there JWK :) Must get my camera out :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

I know - I don't want them to get the satisfaction of annoying me and I wish I wasn't bothered but it's still upsetting. I think the best plan of action is to ignore them. I have spoken to the...
    I know - I don't want them to get the satisfaction of annoying me and I wish I wasn't bothered but it's still upsetting. I think the best plan of action is to ignore them. I have spoken to the local PCSO lady about the other threats we've had over email already so at least they know what is...
    I know - I don't want them to get the satisfaction of annoying me and I wish I wasn't bothered but it's still upsetting. I think the best plan of action is to ignore them. I have spoken to the local PCSO lady about the other threats we've had...
    I know - I don't want them to get the satisfaction of annoying me and I wish I wasn't bothered but it's still upsetting. I think the best plan of action is to ignore them. I have spoken to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

I sown my seeds three weeks ago now look at them
    2D83905E-CB17-4E14-B881-5C33B0C21C14.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring property. So it's really shaded already. I want it...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

Nicotiana would be treated as bedding plants so not until after frosts around May/June I would say. I always grow mine from seed @wiseowl (the shorter variety), in fact I don't know if they are...
    Nicotiana would be treated as bedding plants so not until after frosts around May/June I would say. I always grow mine from seed @wiseowl (the shorter variety), in fact I don't know if they are available as plants.Nicotiana Seeds - F1 Perfume Mix at Suttons Seeds
    Nicotiana would be treated as bedding plants so not until after frosts around May/June I would say. I always grow mine from seed @wiseowl (the shorter variety), in fact I don't know if they are available as plants.Nicotiana Seeds - F1 Perfume...
    Nicotiana would be treated as bedding plants so not until after frosts around May/June I would say. I always grow mine from seed @wiseowl (the shorter variety), in fact I don't know if they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

Hi @NigelJ , that is absolutely gorgeous.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best taking cuttings and starting afresh ...Spruce
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. NigelJ

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia Amethyst. 3 plants on order for May
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. lowrider69

SOWING SEEDS 2019?

Found my Petunia seeds, will sow them tomorrow.:yes::hapydancsmil: During my hunt I also found some Dahlia seeds from one of my Mum's plants, she has been gone 13 yrs now so it's well established and still going...
    Found my Petunia seeds, will sow them tomorrow.:yes::hapydancsmil: During my hunt I also found some Dahlia seeds from one of my Mum's plants, she has been gone 13 yrs now so it's well established and still going strong. I harvested these seeds a couple of years ago, probably not viable now and if they are then...
    Found my Petunia seeds, will sow them tomorrow.:yes::hapydancsmil: During my hunt I also found some Dahlia seeds from one of my Mum's plants, she has been gone 13 yrs now so it's well established and still going strong. I harvested these seeds a couple of years...
    Found my Petunia seeds, will sow them tomorrow.:yes::hapydancsmil: During my hunt I also found some Dahlia seeds from one of my Mum's plants, she has been gone 13 yrs now so it's well established and still going...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Gifts to self are the very best kind as you get what you really want! :hapfeet:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  16.   » Normal Threads
  17. AndyS

Heuchera & Physalis - dead?

Andy, lift your heucheras. (I think Andrews is right....vine weevil grubs love heucheras). You can prob gently pull them and they will easily lift from the soil if vine weevils are...
    Andy, lift your heucheras. (I think Andrews is right....vine weevil grubs love heucheras). You can prob gently pull them and they will easily lift from the soil if vine weevils are present.All is not necessarily lost though. :) You can recover plants if enough root remains....lift them, wash...
    Andy, lift your heucheras. (I think Andrews is right....vine weevil grubs love heucheras). You can prob gently pull them and they will easily lift from the soil if vine weevils are present.All is not necessarily lost though. :) You can recover...
    Andy, lift your heucheras. (I think Andrews is right....vine weevil grubs love heucheras). You can prob gently pull them and they will easily lift from the soil if vine weevils are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. wiseowl

Ribes(King Edward)

Ribes sanguinium 'King Edward VII' are often grown here. Normally, the would be pruned exactly as @Verdun says, after flowering. When the plant is to be rejuvenated, it would be cut down to about...
    Ribes sanguinium 'King Edward VII' are often grown here. Normally, the would be pruned exactly as @Verdun says, after flowering. When the plant is to be rejuvenated, it would be cut down to about 30cm in the depths of [email protected] I have guessed that you have those in your garden. The...
    Ribes sanguinium 'King Edward VII' are often grown here. Normally, the would be pruned exactly as @Verdun says, after flowering. When the plant is to be rejuvenated, it would be cut down to about 30cm in the depths of [email protected] I have...
    Ribes sanguinium 'King Edward VII' are often grown here. Normally, the would be pruned exactly as @Verdun says, after flowering. When the plant is to be rejuvenated, it would be cut down to about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mazambo

Giant sunflowers

Select some big seed from bird food, its usually pretty good. In pots, lots of nitrogen early on and no growth check then move on to potash feed later in the summer.
    Select some big seed from bird food, its usually pretty good. In pots, lots of nitrogen early on and no growth check then move on to potash feed later in the summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. kriss

2 Questions!

Hi @kriss , I would have left them a little longer yet. The old branches etc on the crown offer protection from the wind and frost.
    Hi @kriss , I would have left them a little longer yet. The old branches etc on the crown offer protection from the wind and frost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Carllennon

Question about Heat Mats

My 1.2 x 0.6m thermostatically controlled heat mat is situated on top of my similar sized grow light box in my greenhouse.It doesn't get turned on until there's sufficient natural light for the...
    My 1.2 x 0.6m thermostatically controlled heat mat is situated on top of my similar sized grow light box in my greenhouse.It doesn't get turned on until there's sufficient natural light for the seeds germinating on it. So it's left until April before I start using it.Until then, I have 2x...
    My 1.2 x 0.6m thermostatically controlled heat mat is situated on top of my similar sized grow light box in my greenhouse.It doesn't get turned on until there's sufficient natural light for the seeds germinating on it. So it's left until April...
    My 1.2 x 0.6m thermostatically controlled heat mat is situated on top of my similar sized grow light box in my greenhouse.It doesn't get turned on until there's sufficient natural light for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. nightofjoy

Cat - safe climbers

Some cats use clematis stems as a scratching post, but some mesh around it will prevent it.
    Some cats use clematis stems as a scratching post, but some mesh around it will prevent it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. kriss

Dahlias in Doors!

Hi @kriss , leave all the shoots on but once they have grown 3 or 4 pairs of leaves pinch the growing tips out so they make side shoots ( and therefore bushier plants and more flowers ).Also,...
    Hi @kriss , leave all the shoots on but once they have grown 3 or 4 pairs of leaves pinch the growing tips out so they make side shoots ( and therefore bushier plants and more flowers ).Also, the growing tips can be used as cuttings therefore increasing your stock.
    Hi @kriss , leave all the shoots on but once they have grown 3 or 4 pairs of leaves pinch the growing tips out so they make side shoots ( and therefore bushier plants and more flowers ).Also, the growing tips can be used as cuttings therefore...
    Hi @kriss , leave all the shoots on but once they have grown 3 or 4 pairs of leaves pinch the growing tips out so they make side shoots ( and therefore bushier plants and more flowers ).Also,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. miraflores

Soil

ok I will get a ph measuring kit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. honeybunny

Slug nematodes

2nd-bassoon :) I have a small container of salted water.....I empty the contents onto a hedge or into compost bin.
    2nd-bassoon :) I have a small container of salted water.....I empty the contents onto a hedge or into compost bin.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. kriss

Where do you buy your Bulbs...

Do Dobbies still sell plants ? We popped in last weekend and our local store is now more coffee shop and tat than a garden centre. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but the focus has changed...
    Do Dobbies still sell plants ? We popped in last weekend and our local store is now more coffee shop and tat than a garden centre. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but the focus has changed significantly. I guess they go where the money is.On bulbs, we tend to buy most from on line...
    Do Dobbies still sell plants ? We popped in last weekend and our local store is now more coffee shop and tat than a garden centre. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but the focus has changed significantly. I guess they go where the money...
    Do Dobbies still sell plants ? We popped in last weekend and our local store is now more coffee shop and tat than a garden centre. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but the focus has changed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. HarryS

Blind Daffs Plague ?

In my experience, replanting (deeply) blind daffodils is an effective way to recover their blooming habit; May take a couple of years though to build up the bulbs. I incorporate plenty of...
    In my experience, replanting (deeply) blind daffodils is an effective way to recover their blooming habit; May take a couple of years though to build up the bulbs. I incorporate plenty of compost as well as a handful or so of fish blood and bone or chicken pellets. I have also simply top...
    In my experience, replanting (deeply) blind daffodils is an effective way to recover their blooming habit; May take a couple of years though to build up the bulbs. I incorporate plenty of compost as well as a handful or so of fish blood and...
    In my experience, replanting (deeply) blind daffodils is an effective way to recover their blooming habit; May take a couple of years though to build up the bulbs. I incorporate plenty of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. kriss

Liatris Bulbs

bought some last year on a whim, was on sale at the food store. think there were 10 total, so just put them in. did see one bloom. maybe more this year. surprises are fun.
    bought some last year on a whim, was on sale at the food store. think there were 10 total, so just put them in. did see one bloom. maybe more this year. surprises are fun.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Andrew Kennedy

Greenhouse glass problem

I'm confused. If you are gone for long stretches, where is the water coming from if no one is there irrigating?Perhals auto watering is not synched well?
    I'm confused. If you are gone for long stretches, where is the water coming from if no one is there irrigating?Perhals auto watering is not synched well?
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. SimonZ
    Like x 4

Is there a name for this?

Inosculation - Wikipedia
    Inosculation - Wikipedia
    Inosculation - Wikipedia
    Inosculation - Wikipedia
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. noisette47
    Friendly x 3

Plants from France to UK

I was in Rome last year (enjoyed it) but was never able to talk as loudly or shove my way through a group of people the way they did. So I don't qualify under that statement. :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    I was in Rome last year (enjoyed it) but was never able to talk as loudly or shove my way through a group of people the way they did. So I don't qualify under that statement. :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Janet mahay

Whats this a weed or herb?

Yes does look like feverfew @shiney although I have never tried it myself I am assured it does taste disgusting.! :)
    Yes does look like feverfew @shiney although I have never tried it myself I am assured it does taste disgusting.! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. kriss

Jasminum polyanthum after Winter

Of course. Severe frosts still possible, even likely. You are almost there ...shame to let late cold weather spoil everything:noidea:
    Of course. Severe frosts still possible, even likely. You are almost there ...shame to let late cold weather spoil everything:noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Mike Allen
    Friendly x 4

Garden fence-Given up

We had our rotten wooden fence replaced with chain link. Problem solved.G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. barryman

African Daisies (Osteospermum) - indoors

Thanks for all your info. I think I'll choose something else as Osteospermum doesn't seem to be the right choice. Cheers
    Thanks for all your info. I think I'll choose something else as Osteospermum doesn't seem to be the right choice. Cheers
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. HarryS

Deciduous Grasses Cut Back

I have a Panicum Squaw ornamental deciduous grass . Is about now the best time to cut back the old stems , to a little tuft ?TIA
    I have a Panicum Squaw ornamental deciduous grass . Is about now the best time to cut back the old stems , to a little tuft ?TIA
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice