Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl

What's looking good MARCH 2024

First irises.
    First irises.
    First irises.
    First irises.
    Screenshot 2024-03-01 060120.png 20240210_113552.jpg Brugmansia 1 Mar 24.jpg IMG_20240303_120448.jpg IMG_20240303_121015~2.jpg Bergenia Little Irish Orphan.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

And now I'm shouting profanities as I run up the garden because we have a rat. The poor birds will have to go on a diet for a while. That galls me. :mad:
    And now I'm shouting profanities as I run up the garden because we have a rat. The poor birds will have to go on a diet for a while. That galls me. :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

SWEETPEAS

Once they have got 5 leaves I nip the tops off, it makes them grow bushier then a few weeks I plant them out :)
    Once they have got 5 leaves I nip the tops off, it makes them grow bushier then a few weeks I plant them out :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

Aren't they gorgeous? I'd want them all! Good choice!And yes, they are beautifully but subtly scented. Orris root powder is made from the ground up roots of the Iris, distilled and used in...
    Aren't they gorgeous? I'd want them all! Good choice!And yes, they are beautifully but subtly scented. Orris root powder is made from the ground up roots of the Iris, distilled and used in the perfume industry as a 'fixative'. It smells gorgeous, sweet and powdery. You can buy bags of...
    Aren't they gorgeous? I'd want them all! Good choice!And yes, they are beautifully but subtly scented. Orris root powder is made from the ground up roots of the Iris, distilled and used in the perfume industry as a 'fixative'. It smells...
    Aren't they gorgeous? I'd want them all! Good choice!And yes, they are beautifully but subtly scented. Orris root powder is made from the ground up roots of the Iris, distilled and used in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

I bought some hydrangeas (Annabelle)from here last year and this year they have exploded!
    I bought some hydrangeas (Annabelle)from here last year and this year they have exploded!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. shiney
    Like x 9

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. Emerion

When to move wild primroses

If you dig them out away from the roots, they won't even know you've moved them
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. fumanchu

Getting there slowly but yet another Q!

Definitely taking shape now, but slowly as the weather here is very wet and very cold. What I'm after now, is a climber for a very dry corner. Sheltered by the house and a 6ft fence, facing...
    Definitely taking shape now, but slowly as the weather here is very wet and very cold. What I'm after now, is a climber for a very dry corner. Sheltered by the house and a 6ft fence, facing south-east. We had to lift out the stuff that was in there, as it kept flopping with thirst so it must be...
    Definitely taking shape now, but slowly as the weather here is very wet and very cold. What I'm after now, is a climber for a very dry corner. Sheltered by the house and a 6ft fence, facing south-east. We had to lift out the stuff that was in...
    Definitely taking shape now, but slowly as the weather here is very wet and very cold. What I'm after now, is a climber for a very dry corner. Sheltered by the house and a 6ft fence, facing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Javidr

What to plant by the fence (climber?)

Yes they need easy access don't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. puschkinia

Blue forget-me-nots seem to be coming back pink?

I have noticed this morning that some of my forget-me-nots are blue, some have pink and blue flowers on the same plant, and some are totally pink. They were all blue a few years ago. I liked them...
    I have noticed this morning that some of my forget-me-nots are blue, some have pink and blue flowers on the same plant, and some are totally pink. They were all blue a few years ago. I liked them when they were all blue but I also like them as they are now. It seems more natural to me somehow.
    I have noticed this morning that some of my forget-me-nots are blue, some have pink and blue flowers on the same plant, and some are totally pink. They were all blue a few years ago. I liked them when they were all blue but I also like them as...
    I have noticed this morning that some of my forget-me-nots are blue, some have pink and blue flowers on the same plant, and some are totally pink. They were all blue a few years ago. I liked them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. NoviceGardener2023

Lawn - How best to remove Clover, Buttercup etc.

I wouldn't want creeping buttercups in a lawn that size - mine's smaller and they take over too quickly unless you pull them all the time, which I do. We had them in our horse grazing field,...
    I wouldn't want creeping buttercups in a lawn that size - mine's smaller and they take over too quickly unless you pull them all the time, which I do. We had them in our horse grazing field, which hadn't been managed for decades, and we had to spray every year. That field looked better than my...
    I wouldn't want creeping buttercups in a lawn that size - mine's smaller and they take over too quickly unless you pull them all the time, which I do. We had them in our horse grazing field, which hadn't been managed for decades, and we had to...
    I wouldn't want creeping buttercups in a lawn that size - mine's smaller and they take over too quickly unless you pull them all the time, which I do. We had them in our horse grazing field,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. BenCotto

Composting and sewing (not sowing)

Thanks for letting me know @JennyJB .
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Pink678

What are your 'happy flowers'?

Sweet peas like a lot of peas and beans need more water than you might think to do well.
    Sweet peas like a lot of peas and beans need more water than you might think to do well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. lizzie27

Composting old teeshirts?

I use them as rags for wiping things, but the Red Cross will take clothes that can't be worne again because they can get money for them.
    I use them as rags for wiping things, but the Red Cross will take clothes that can't be worne again because they can get money for them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Jenny_Aster

Been duped

No, no,no, that's a blue daisy - very rare and special, you could flog the seed on ebay........:biggrin:
    No, no,no, that's a blue daisy - very rare and special, you could flog the seed on ebay........:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. robbo

Clematis

I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering...
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering types flower on old wood, and only need a general tidy up if they're getting too big for the space....
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering types flower on old wood, and only need a general...
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. BenCotto
    Friendly x 13

Tulips, and the story behind them

Our thoughts are with you both @BenCotto and our kindest wishes for your future together … however long it may be. xx
    Our thoughts are with you both @BenCotto and our kindest wishes for your future together … however long it may be. xx
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Gilla.Walmsley

Geum recommendations

I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Jocko

Back after a long layoff.

Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think...
    Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think rats are the most likely reason, as they can certainly get through samll gaps, and make the most of...
    Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think rats are the most likely reason, as they can...
    Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Angie Jones (nut)

Tulipa sprengeri

Thanks pd, I think I'll go with that
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Greenfield81

Front garden design and size - thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. caitlin lodge

Leylandii chippings

The bottom half of my raised vegetable bed was leylandii chippings - no problem at all.
    The bottom half of my raised vegetable bed was leylandii chippings - no problem at all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. BB3

Doing more harm than good

I've just taken delivery of a 20 metre roll of copper tape to put round my pots. That, combined with a garlic spray, has certainly helped in the past.
    I've just taken delivery of a 20 metre roll of copper tape to put round my pots. That, combined with a garlic spray, has certainly helped in the past.
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Emerion

Last frost dates near Guildford - this can’t be right can it?

Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw.,...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw., Worc. and pass Cirencester, it's often sunny. As soon as we leave Thames valley and go up the...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw., Worc. and pass Cirencester, it's often sunny. As...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw.,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. micearguers
    Like x 15

Fond of Fronds

Mostly potted at the moment...a couple are in huge pots though! The squarrosa is starting to sucker up with a few more trunks, after being severely damaged a few years ago by the beast from the east
    Mostly potted at the moment...a couple are in huge pots though! The squarrosa is starting to sucker up with a few more trunks, after being severely damaged a few years ago by the beast from the east
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. glosmike
    Informative x 8

Warning for new gardeners …..

That's the method I use Tinkerton:thumbsup: I very rarely wear gloves.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice