1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

Spent the morning in the garden yesterday, chilly but some sunny spells. OH dug out an extension to a small seating area we have under some hazel trees whilst I scavenged suitable bits of paving...
    Spent the morning in the garden yesterday, chilly but some sunny spells. OH dug out an extension to a small seating area we have under some hazel trees whilst I scavenged suitable bits of paving and bricks from our salvage pile. All stuff we’ve found whilst doing the garden and very satisfying...
    Spent the morning in the garden yesterday, chilly but some sunny spells. OH dug out an extension to a small seating area we have under some hazel trees whilst I scavenged suitable bits of paving and bricks from our salvage pile. All stuff we’ve...
    Spent the morning in the garden yesterday, chilly but some sunny spells. OH dug out an extension to a small seating area we have under some hazel trees whilst I scavenged suitable bits of paving...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

What's looking good APRIL 2024

*channelling Julie Andrews*Raindrops on hostas ...
    DSCF0793.jpg DSC00462.jpeg DSC00463.jpeg DSC00461.jpeg DSC00464.jpeg 20240401_085917.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left....
    Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left. Fingers crossed that I haven’t made a mistake as I understand Acers don’t liked being moved. :)
    Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left. Fingers crossed that I haven’t made a mistake as I...
    Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left....
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and can be divided. Many places have sales at that...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

SWEETPEAS

I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. Sarraceniac

What's your weather like?

It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise known as 'splitting'.How it will work is this:...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

NEW THREAD HEREWHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

New Thread HereWHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. ARMANDII
    Like x 6

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2021

Thank you @shiney
    Thank you @shiney
    Thank you @shiney
    Thank you @shiney
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Phil A

What jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2015

Time to say goodbye to 2015 - new thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. shiney

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2022

My dad came round for new year with his absolutely crazy young dog. So I've been out in the garden. The dog is insane. Endless fun. But it did mean I got to walk on the lawn. It was like walking...
    My dad came round for new year with his absolutely crazy young dog. So I've been out in the garden. The dog is insane. Endless fun. But it did mean I got to walk on the lawn. It was like walking on a sponge full of water, so it made me feel better about doing nothing, as it's too wet out there...
    My dad came round for new year with his absolutely crazy young dog. So I've been out in the garden. The dog is insane. Endless fun. But it did mean I got to walk on the lawn. It was like walking on a sponge full of water, so it made me feel...
    My dad came round for new year with his absolutely crazy young dog. So I've been out in the garden. The dog is insane. Endless fun. But it did mean I got to walk on the lawn. It was like walking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. wiseowl

WHAT ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2023

Link to new threadWhat are we doing in the garden 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Just a test post:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Marley Farley

What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK3.. 2013

Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and chard still producing. Need to get some manure and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Marley Farley

What Jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2014..

@Zigs @Marley FarleyHi BothPlease can we have a new threadthank youSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Fat Controller

What jobs are we doing in the garden today 2016

It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the main posts and wires but needs to have things...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    20160108_080943.jpg IMG_3729.JPG IMG_3730.JPG Sambucus 'Black Lace'.JPG 20160216_142812.jpg 20160216_142825.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

Looking grand Mr Grinch :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. PeterS
    Like x 14

Show us your recent purchases.

Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Lolimac

What jobs are we doing today in the garden ?

This thread is now closed please continue here,,
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Marley Farley

What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK2..

New thread started here folks.. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Phil A

Show us your recent purchases 2015

I might agree with you if I understood what multi functioning was. :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    I might agree with you if I understood what multi functioning was. :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

I got an alert on my emails to send it to this forum :rolleyespink:
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. alp
    Like x 7

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions on topics from latest bloom to wildlife.

Thread closed as it is getting a bit long.New thread - Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)
    Thread closed as it is getting a bit long.New thread - Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Spruce
    Like x 4

Daylily "Hemerocallis 2013 S W S

Bumping the thread@jennywrenHave a look at this thread from last year. Lots of great ideas and lots to choose fromSpruce
    Bumping the thread@jennywrenHave a look at this thread from last year. Lots of great ideas and lots to choose fromSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice