1. Forum News
    A NEW PHOTO COMP WILL BE STARTING THIS MONTH more information in Photo Competitions Photo Competitions Are Changing!
    Please Support The Road Verge Campaign!
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Like x 7

Whats Looking Good In September

[COLOR=#006600][I]My Belladona blooms every year in the Spring. They are in clay soil in a shady rockery with the tops peeking out. Love the colour of your
    [COLOR=#006600][I]My Belladona blooms every year in the Spring. They are in clay soil in a shady rockery with the tops peeking out. Love the colour of your
    P1310916.JPG P1310917.JPG 26612137-1D28-4F13-924C-A409FD0F72BE.jpeg C9664708-1113-4475-BBA7-7DBD126B96D9.jpeg 003.jpg 018.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

@CanadianLori its a blessing and a curse having the land.Having space is great. My in-laws are our closest neighbours (almost T shaped roof behind our house). This is great for when we're on...
    @CanadianLori its a blessing and a curse having the land.Having space is great. My in-laws are our closest neighbours (almost T shaped roof behind our house). This is great for when we're on holiday - garden and dog sitting.Its a lot to maintain on our own but we keep it in good...
    @CanadianLori its a blessing and a curse having the land.Having space is great. My in-laws are our closest neighbours (almost T shaped roof behind our house). This is great for when we're on holiday - garden and dog sitting.Its a lot to...
    @CanadianLori its a blessing and a curse having the land.Having space is great. My in-laws are our closest neighbours (almost T shaped roof behind our house). This is great for when we're on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

Dietes bicolor............. Dietes bicolor by longk48, on Flickr
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Very similar colour too the SPs I grow. These are Charlies Angels ( which I could not get this year) and Our Harry. Both very good performers with lovely colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NigelJ
    Like x 5

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia stolonifera
    Salvia stolonifera
    Salvia stolonifera
    Salvia stolonifera
    Salvia corrugata.JPG Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue.JPG Salvia curviflora.JPG Salvia Amisted.JPG P1080233.jpg P1080234.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. lowrider69

SOWING SEEDS 2019?

Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Thanks mike that's very kind of you but i tend to stick with F1 plants these days they done me proud up to now
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Four bags of sh*te - sorry not worth a picture:rolleyespink:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing, thinking that every Spring I can reuse the basket...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened very carefully as he explained what he was doing,...
    Hope this is the right place for some hanging basket tips (if not, where is?). 2 years ago I had a nice cone basket made up before my very eyes by one of the staff at Dobbies. I watched & listened...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic turned up in two days and is looking great.
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    D404CC13-CEE2-4989-9F24-E4FE43B88B2A.jpeg upload_2019-8-23_10-8-49.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring property. So it's really shaded already. I want it...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the biggest conifer I've ever seen in the neighbouring...
    Ivy grows really well here too shiney, good job I love it :) @luciusmaximus, the entire border, length wise is damson and elderberries and at the bottom is a sycamore and hawthorn, as well as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    I am not a Fuchsia grower but has anyone any ideas for @cindy in her post here fuschsia gone wrong
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and then planted them out in one of our newly created...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    DSCF1427.JPG Red Twister 2014.jpg octopus hugs 2014 002.JPG 002.JPG Planet Max 2014.jpg one hot mama 2015 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19.   » Normal Threads
  20. Julysunshine

‘Weird’ Mexican Sunflowers

Thanks everyone.Definitely a Borage, there’s a flower this morning and definitely not a sunflower :))I was so looking forward to the sunflowers but oh well!x
    Thanks everyone.Definitely a Borage, there’s a flower this morning and definitely not a sunflower :))I was so looking forward to the sunflowers but oh well!x
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. HarryS

¿ How Late is 2012 ?

Aha, but then it could be the hottest June, so keep those tender veg ready for planting out just in case we get a bumper tomato year. I haven't sown any squashes or beans yet, they won't be able...
    Aha, but then it could be the hottest June, so keep those tender veg ready for planting out just in case we get a bumper tomato year. I haven't sown any squashes or beans yet, they won't be able to go out for weeks and I have enough tender seedlings hanging about going leggy as it is. Trouble...
    Aha, but then it could be the hottest June, so keep those tender veg ready for planting out just in case we get a bumper tomato year. I haven't sown any squashes or beans yet, they won't be able to go out for weeks and I have enough tender...
    Aha, but then it could be the hottest June, so keep those tender veg ready for planting out just in case we get a bumper tomato year. I haven't sown any squashes or beans yet, they won't be able...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. HarryS

¿ Begonia Pinching or Pruning ?

Thanks Spruce , I chopped them all down to the second branch . I rembered having one like this a few years ago it just grew very lanky and flowered poorley - as if the tuber had lost its ooomph...
    Thanks Spruce , I chopped them all down to the second branch . I rembered having one like this a few years ago it just grew very lanky and flowered poorley - as if the tuber had lost its ooomph . Good news you are getting replacements from T and M , mine arrived Thursday . 6 very good crackling...
    Thanks Spruce , I chopped them all down to the second branch . I rembered having one like this a few years ago it just grew very lanky and flowered poorley - as if the tuber had lost its ooomph . Good news you are getting replacements from T and...
    Thanks Spruce , I chopped them all down to the second branch . I rembered having one like this a few years ago it just grew very lanky and flowered poorley - as if the tuber had lost its ooomph...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Scrungee
    Informative x 3

£2,500 Fine for growing Japanese Knotweed

Animal grazing may be of use in restricting the spread of the plant. If the new shoots are always being eaten a lot of plants put all their strength into trying to grow more shoots and not into...
    Animal grazing may be of use in restricting the spread of the plant. If the new shoots are always being eaten a lot of plants put all their strength into trying to grow more shoots and not into spreading their roots.
    Animal grazing may be of use in restricting the spread of the plant. If the new shoots are always being eaten a lot of plants put all their strength into trying to grow more shoots and not into spreading their roots.
    Animal grazing may be of use in restricting the spread of the plant. If the new shoots are always being eaten a lot of plants put all their strength into trying to grow more shoots and not into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. HarryS

£1 Bucket Pricing Crisis !

Roger, Wilco! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. HarryS

£1 Bucket 2019

If you arrange your pots properly you can keep your buckets and hide them at the back. Nobody would be any the wiser.:dbgrtmb:G.
    If you arrange your pots properly you can keep your buckets and hide them at the back. Nobody would be any the wiser.:dbgrtmb:G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. joh98.mac

[sunflowers] It's Alive!

A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big...
    A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big pots.How naive I was! In the period from 1st March to 19th March, we had two days without...
    A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big pots.How naive I was! In the period from 1st...
    A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big...
    upload_2019-3-27_11-52-9.jpeg upload_2019-3-27_11-55-45.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Silmar

Zones

It's used as a guide line you cann't write the figures in stone,of course everyones space is unique extreme weather will crop up now and again take for instance I grow something that is hardy in...
    It's used as a guide line you cann't write the figures in stone,of course everyones space is unique extreme weather will crop up now and again take for instance I grow something that is hardy in zone 8b then it's ok down to -7c if I was Penny zone 5b -23c I wouldn't dream of trying to grow that...
    It's used as a guide line you cann't write the figures in stone,of course everyones space is unique extreme weather will crop up now and again take for instance I grow something that is hardy in zone 8b then it's ok down to -7c if I was Penny...
    It's used as a guide line you cann't write the figures in stone,of course everyones space is unique extreme weather will crop up now and again take for instance I grow something that is hardy in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ben01

Zinnia not true colour

My memories of growing Zinnia was that most of the time the weather was not warm enough, so I'm doubting its heat stress.I think you need to wait for later flowers to open before making a...
    My memories of growing Zinnia was that most of the time the weather was not warm enough, so I'm doubting its heat stress.I think you need to wait for later flowers to open before making a judgement, as it could be the first flowers are slightly out of character.As to Dahlias grown from...
    My memories of growing Zinnia was that most of the time the weather was not warm enough, so I'm doubting its heat stress.I think you need to wait for later flowers to open before making a judgement, as it could be the first flowers are...
    My memories of growing Zinnia was that most of the time the weather was not warm enough, so I'm doubting its heat stress.I think you need to wait for later flowers to open before making a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Fat Controller

Zinnia

If you want a long bloomer with daisy-like blooms what about Coriopsis?Certain Campanula and Penstemon species bloom for a long time and are hardy. Likewise Salvia greggii and S.microphylla.
    If you want a long bloomer with daisy-like blooms what about Coriopsis?Certain Campanula and Penstemon species bloom for a long time and are hardy. Likewise Salvia greggii and S.microphylla.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. peatfree

Zinnia

Hi peatfree, ive sown some zinnia, this year for the first time. Ive got some in my tiny plastic makeshift green house, and some out side in the ground, to see which do best. Those in the...
    Hi peatfree, ive sown some zinnia, this year for the first time. Ive got some in my tiny plastic makeshift green house, and some out side in the ground, to see which do best. Those in the greenhouse sprouted in 3 days, so maybe it wont be to late to set some more off. Good luck! 02:D
    Hi peatfree, ive sown some zinnia, this year for the first time. Ive got some in my tiny plastic makeshift green house, and some out side in the ground, to see which do best. Those in the greenhouse sprouted in 3 days, so maybe it wont be to late...
    Hi peatfree, ive sown some zinnia, this year for the first time. Ive got some in my tiny plastic makeshift green house, and some out side in the ground, to see which do best. Those in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Phil A

Ziggy's Website

Great news Ziggy, I'm really pleased that things are picking up - remember your friends when you make your first million :D
    Great news Ziggy, I'm really pleased that things are picking up - remember your friends when you make your first million :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. chitting kaz

ZIGGY dearest

ziggy:rolleyespink::rolleyespink: i must take some photos of the hill that i live on!!!! that would only last the afternoon up on my roof !!!! but it did make me laugh !! :loll::loll:
    ziggy:rolleyespink::rolleyespink: i must take some photos of the hill that i live on!!!! that would only last the afternoon up on my roof !!!! but it did make me laugh !! :loll::loll:
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Matt-tropical

zantedeschia giant white

Will do when it’s fully into growth it will be going in one on my stupidly big pots so might restrict it a bit but time will tell :fingers crossed:
    Will do when it’s fully into growth it will be going in one on my stupidly big pots so might restrict it a bit but time will tell :fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. capney

Zantedeschia aethiopica... Calla Lilly

I covered the top with sand yesterday and had a good look this morning. Ni sigb of any flies....fingers crossed.
    I covered the top with sand yesterday and had a good look this morning. Ni sigb of any flies....fingers crossed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. GardenYank

Zantadeschia / Calla Lily Bulb

I have the white with purple throat and it's developing its seeds now. but it's my first year also. Guess I'll just leave it rest and see what happens. As we are still warmish (26-27c) I am still...
    I have the white with purple throat and it's developing its seeds now. but it's my first year also. Guess I'll just leave it rest and see what happens. As we are still warmish (26-27c) I am still watering but it is in a shaded but slightly filtered sun position.
    I have the white with purple throat and it's developing its seeds now. but it's my first year also. Guess I'll just leave it rest and see what happens. As we are still warmish (26-27c) I am still watering but it is in a shaded but slightly...
    I have the white with purple throat and it's developing its seeds now. but it's my first year also. Guess I'll just leave it rest and see what happens. As we are still warmish (26-27c) I am still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Victoria

Zamicoculcas zamifolia

Pretty spectacular stuff this, just managed to get this shot before they faded and became uninteresting:lollol:
    Pretty spectacular stuff this, just managed to get this shot before they faded and became uninteresting:lollol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. pete

Zaluzianskya

Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take...
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take up "virtual gardening" on the internet. You can expand as much as you like - and no weeding! Come...
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take up "virtual gardening" on the internet. You can...
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. **Yvonne**
    Like x 7

Yvonne's Nectar Haven - Work in progress

Wow that looks truly amazing. You've done such a brilliant job. Must have been a daunting task at first.
    Wow that looks truly amazing. You've done such a brilliant job. Must have been a daunting task at first.
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Bilbo675
    Like x 6

Yummy....

I`ve got the cream
    I`ve got the cream
    I`ve got the cream
    I`ve got the cream
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice