Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Fat Controller

Sheds

I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon. Although the roof has been replaced at some point the...
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor repairs and give it a coat of preservative soon....
    I thought you might like to see this @Fat Controller. :)I was talking to my neighbour yesterday who's shed below is right on my boundary as he used to own my plot. He wants to do some minor...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG upload_2019-1-30_11-51-57.jpeg Jenx 310712.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    3 of the same variety for me Woo. I like groups of one colour, type, etc. Should look good:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. NigelJ
    Like x 10

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020

Someone needs to tell that to the rats and rabbits as well. :whistle:When Oscar the cat adopted us he rarely left the garden (didn't come into the house) and the rats, rabbits, foxes, badgers and deer...
    Someone needs to tell that to the rats and rabbits as well. :whistle:When Oscar the cat adopted us he rarely left the garden (didn't come into the house) and the rats, rabbits, foxes, badgers and deer all kept away. He welcomed hedgehogs and all birds (except hawks) with whom he got on very well. ...
    Someone needs to tell that to the rats and rabbits as well. :whistle:When Oscar the cat adopted us he rarely left the garden (didn't come into the house) and the rats, rabbits, foxes, badgers and deer all kept away. He welcomed hedgehogs and all...
    Someone needs to tell that to the rats and rabbits as well. :whistle:When Oscar the cat adopted us he rarely left the garden (didn't come into the house) and the rats, rabbits, foxes, badgers and deer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Redwing
    Like x 4

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic turned up in two days and is looking great.
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or speed of delivery. My Elephant Ears Black Magic...
    My Gardening Express order hasn't moved from two weeks ago. Luckily I'm in no hurry for the plants.I've ordered lots of plants from Ebay sellers and I've never been let down with quality or...
    D404CC13-CEE2-4989-9F24-E4FE43B88B2A.jpeg upload_2019-8-23_10-8-49.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. andrews
    Like x 6

Anyone Buying Seed For 2020 ?

Thank you. I bought some from the garden centre yesterday in the end. Popped in there to get my seed potatoes, and to find my daughter (3) some gardening gloves that actually fit her! lolI think...
    Thank you. I bought some from the garden centre yesterday in the end. Popped in there to get my seed potatoes, and to find my daughter (3) some gardening gloves that actually fit her! lolI think it is British Basil that I selected in the end also Selleri! :D Quite happy to have it growing like...
    Thank you. I bought some from the garden centre yesterday in the end. Popped in there to get my seed potatoes, and to find my daughter (3) some gardening gloves that actually fit her! lolI think it is British Basil that I selected in the end...
    Thank you. I bought some from the garden centre yesterday in the end. Popped in there to get my seed potatoes, and to find my daughter (3) some gardening gloves that actually fit her! lolI think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. NigelJ
    Like x 12

What's Looking Good in January 2020

Some of our violets have started flowering. I only noticed them the other day as I was digging them out. For small plants they're certainly tough to get out and they spread like mad. They're...
    Some of our violets have started flowering. I only noticed them the other day as I was digging them out. For small plants they're certainly tough to get out and they spread like mad. They're becoming one of the most prolific weeds in the garden :hate-shocked:. They look nice but smother other plants and...
    Some of our violets have started flowering. I only noticed them the other day as I was digging them out. For small plants they're certainly tough to get out and they spread like mad. They're becoming one of the most prolific weeds in the...
    Some of our violets have started flowering. I only noticed them the other day as I was digging them out. For small plants they're certainly tough to get out and they spread like mad. They're...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2020

Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area would be nice. It all looks very nice in my head...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola. Raised beds hiding behind taller plants. Seating area...
    Hello Everyone. I would like a garden with rooms. I want to grow lots of veg but if anyone visits all they can see are different heights of flowers. A windy path maybe. Some trellis. Pergola....
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

SOWING SEEDS - 2020

Sown Eucomis comosa, Lilium davidii, L pardalinum, Clematis napaulensis and Rehmannii piasezkii. These are now in propagator.
    Sown Eucomis comosa, Lilium davidii, L pardalinum, Clematis napaulensis and Rehmannii piasezkii. These are now in propagator.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2020

Sad news for Salvia fans. Robin (Nibor) of Robin's Salvias passed away on Jan 2nd.
    Sad news for Salvia fans. Robin (Nibor) of Robin's Salvias passed away on Jan 2nd.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES 2020

New shed already image a little fuzzy its torrential rain had to take it quickly;):heehee:
    New shed already image a little fuzzy its torrential rain had to take it quickly;):heehee:
    upload_2020-1-21_21-59-39.png P1310991.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2020

Salvia guaranitica
    Salvia guaranitica
    Salvia guaranitica
    Salvia guaranitica
    Salvia guaranitica.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII

THE IRIS FAMILY 2020

I'm hoping that my collection of Bearde Iris will flower even better this year than the last by keeping up a campaign of weekly feeding from the Spring.:hapydancsmil:
    I'm hoping that my collection of Bearde Iris will flower even better this year than the last by keeping up a campaign of weekly feeding from the Spring.:hapydancsmil:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2020

New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ARMANDII

DAY LILY - 2020

New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ARMANDII

FUCHSIAS 2020

New Thread here.
    New Thread here.
    New Thread here.
    New Thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. millwall40

Where can I get Sodium Chlorate?

I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different...
    I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different matter.And in recommending glyphosate as a path weed-killer, he's wrong. Because glyphosate has no...
    I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different matter.And in recommending glyphosate as a path...
    I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Sarraceniac

What's your weather like?

It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise known as 'splitting'.How it will work is this:...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

NEW THREAD HEREWHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

Looking grand Mr Grinch :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Phil A

What jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2015

Time to say goodbye to 2015 - new thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. PeterS
    Like x 14

Show us your recent purchases.

Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. intel

Is Horticultural Sand The Same As Sharp Sand?

30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off...
    30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off etc. I use 1/4 sized trays, and have about 30 of those. I use them in rotation, plants are...
    30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off etc. I use 1/4 sized trays, and have about 30...
    30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. The Wizard

Something digging holes in my lawn

Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again...
    Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again tonight to see what happens tomorrow morning.
    Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again tonight to see what happens tomorrow morning.
    Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Marley Farley

What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK3.. 2013

Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and chard still producing. Need to get some manure and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Scotkat

Fuchsias

Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. MattWR

Creating a border with sleepers - help needed

As an ex-railwayman and now involved with a Heritage one, I strongly recommend you do Not set them in concrete, because eventually the sleepers Will rot, despite being previously treated.
    As an ex-railwayman and now involved with a Heritage one, I strongly recommend you do Not set them in concrete, because eventually the sleepers Will rot, despite being previously treated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Just a test post:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. mabbiss

How to hide a manhole cover !

Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration...
    Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration strikes !
    Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration strikes !
    Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. raymond-s

Cleaning green mould from a fence.

I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this...
    I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this product as a concentrate and then dilute with water, it was much cheaper that way. I sprayed the...
    I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this product as a concentrate and then dilute with...
    I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Fat Controller

What jobs are we doing in the garden today 2016

It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the main posts and wires but needs to have things...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    20160108_080943.jpg IMG_3729.JPG IMG_3730.JPG Sambucus 'Black Lace'.JPG 20160216_142812.jpg 20160216_142825.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Marley Farley

What Jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2014..

@Zigs @Marley FarleyHi BothPlease can we have a new threadthank youSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. HarryS
    Like x 7

Canna 2012

When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W rather than 1 x 800W. Clearly 2 x 400W allows running one lamp when you only have a few plants to...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W rather than 1 x 800W. Clearly 2 x 400W allows...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Dicemanc

Newly planted Box hedging turning yellow

Plenty of water Col in dry times and water at night where it will have time to perculate to the root. Good luck. G
    Plenty of water Col in dry times and water at night where it will have time to perculate to the root. Good luck. G
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Val..

Thick algae on paving slabs!!!

I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real...
    I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real improvement (will post pics later if I get home before dark) :blue thumb:
    I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real improvement (will post pics later if I get home...
    I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice