Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

Very nice find @Moley , I love the colour :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. shiney

What's Looking Good In February 2019

First flower on a plantlet I bought last spring at Morrisons. Very happy, it's double
    First flower on a plantlet I bought last spring at Morrisons. Very happy, it's double
    Azara microphylla 1.JPG Scilla mischtshenkoana.JPG Ipheion Jessie.JPG FungusSm.jpg P2090018.JPG 20190209_144519.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

It'll be okay if you're staying at home. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the...
    Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the pots with vine weevil killer. I was going to jet washer the garden walls before putting in the new...
    Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the pots with vine weevil killer. I was going to jet...
    Disappointingly drizzly and chilly here today. Might go in the greenhouse and sow some pepper and tomato seeds. And if it warms up i’ll plant my two roses in the raised beds. Might also treat the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. NigelJ

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

Salvia Amethyst. 3 plants on order for May
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Marley Farley

GARDENING ASPIRATIONS FOR 2019..

Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a...
    Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a hedge of some description along boundary of front garden for privacy. I did plant Beech saplings last...
    Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a hedge of some description along boundary of front...
    Aspirations for 2019 are to make a larger planting area under the cherry tree in side garden to be able to reduce the amount of pots I have. I have already started this.Still need to plant a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

SWEET PEAS 2019

They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in...
    They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in the season.
    They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in the season.
    They can be sown later on (September/October) to overwinter. Mine don’t fall into that category though, as they were probably sown around May/June, and didn’t really get going until very late in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Marley Farley

FUCHSIAS 2019

depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best taking cuttings and starting afresh ...Spruce
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year growing in pots and hanging baskets and you are best...
    depends how frost hardy they are plus check for vine weevil now. If they show green shoots you will need to dig them up & replant them in fresh compost , I think they run out of vigour 2nd year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Marley Farley

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND PLANTERS 2019.

OLD THREAD. HERE
    OLD THREAD. HERE
    OLD THREAD. HERE
    OLD THREAD. HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Lovely Spruce.....I had tired of hemerocallis having grown quite a few, just a couple now, but you have some beauties there to make me have a rethink :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. millwall40

Where can I get Sodium Chlorate?

I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different...
    I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different matter.And in recommending glyphosate as a path weed-killer, he's wrong. Because glyphosate has no...
    I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different matter.And in recommending glyphosate as a path...
    I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sarraceniac

What's your weather like?

It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise known as 'splitting'.How it will work is this:...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being closed and started in a new thread. Otherwise...
    It's just come to our attention (thank you RM1986!) that some of our problems may have been attributable, in part at least, to active threads with over 1,000 posts. Therefore, this thread is being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

If anyone is interested i will update this thread but i also have a garden blog on facebook. Just search on facebook “chinnor view garden”
    If anyone is interested i will update this thread but i also have a garden blog on facebook. Just search on facebook “chinnor view garden”
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

NEW THREAD HEREWHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Phil A

What jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2015

Time to say goodbye to 2015 - new thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 14

Show us your recent purchases.

Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Closed.. New Thread here
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. intel

Is Horticultural Sand The Same As Sharp Sand?

30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off...
    30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off etc. I use 1/4 sized trays, and have about 30 of those. I use them in rotation, plants are...
    30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off etc. I use 1/4 sized trays, and have about 30...
    30 full sized trays is a lot of plants! I buy the best quality - want to make sure that I get as many seeds to germinate as possible, and have decent drainage to reduce likelihood of damping off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Scotkat

Fuchsias

Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Closed.. New thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. The Wizard

Something digging holes in my lawn

Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again...
    Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again tonight to see what happens tomorrow morning.
    Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again tonight to see what happens tomorrow morning.
    Saw some activity at 6am just after first light but no damage. Loads of birds and one squirrel that ran straight across and disappeared through the back hedge. Gonna keep the camera rolling again...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Marley Farley

What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK3.. 2013

Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and chard still producing. Need to get some manure and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden for a few hours. Leeks and onions looking good and...
    Lovely spring-like day today, sunny 8c. Dug over my veg beds as they'd got a bit compacted and did some weeding and hoeing here and there. Nothing much really but was good to be in the garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. MattWR

Creating a border with sleepers - help needed

As an ex-railwayman and now involved with a Heritage one, I strongly recommend you do Not set them in concrete, because eventually the sleepers Will rot, despite being previously treated.
    As an ex-railwayman and now involved with a Heritage one, I strongly recommend you do Not set them in concrete, because eventually the sleepers Will rot, despite being previously treated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Just a test post:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. raymond-s

Cleaning green mould from a fence.

I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this...
    I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this product as a concentrate and then dilute with water, it was much cheaper that way. I sprayed the...
    I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this product as a concentrate and then dilute with...
    I had the same problem but I fixed it. If you still need an advice my wooden fence looks much better and much lighter in color after it was cleaned using simply spray & walk away. I bought this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. mabbiss

How to hide a manhole cover !

Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration...
    Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration strikes !
    Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration strikes !
    Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I am currently torn between the astro turf, a feature like a bird bath or one of those awesome boxes but please keep the ideas coming if inspiration...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Marley Farley

What Jobs are we doing in the Garden today 2014..

@Zigs @Marley FarleyHi BothPlease can we have a new threadthank youSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. HarryS
    Like x 7

Canna 2012

When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W rather than 1 x 800W. Clearly 2 x 400W allows running one lamp when you only have a few plants to...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W rather than 1 x 800W. Clearly 2 x 400W allows...
    When I purchased my general thought process was: What area does each Wattage bulb cover? Too low a wattage doesn't cover very much. What would be the price/benefit equation for, say, 2 x 400W...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Fat Controller

What jobs are we doing in the garden today 2016

It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the main posts and wires but needs to have things...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans - 3lb :blue thumb:.Taking apart the frames doesn't include the...
    It was a big gardening day yesterday although it doesn't sound like a lot of work. It was 'c Clear the ShineyFrames for the winter', day :phew:. So I started off with picking the last of the beans -...
    20160108_080943.jpg IMG_3729.JPG IMG_3730.JPG Sambucus 'Black Lace'.JPG 20160216_142812.jpg 20160216_142825.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Dicemanc

Newly planted Box hedging turning yellow

Plenty of water Col in dry times and water at night where it will have time to perculate to the root. Good luck. G
    Plenty of water Col in dry times and water at night where it will have time to perculate to the root. Good luck. G
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Val..

Thick algae on paving slabs!!!

I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real...
    I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real improvement (will post pics later if I get home before dark) :blue thumb:
    I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real improvement (will post pics later if I get home...
    I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. lb7110

Fast growing evergreen climbers to block out nosey neighbour!

This thread is over four years old......
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice