General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Killjoy

Weeding the Lawn

Can anyone recommend a good 2 prong hand weeder for getting the weeds out of the lawn all the ones I try seem to bend when I use them, could really do with a cast iron one!
    Can anyone recommend a good 2 prong hand weeder for getting the weeds out of the lawn all the ones I try seem to bend when I use them, could really do with a cast iron one!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. HarryS

Olive Tree Standard, Pruning?

Thanks @pete , Miracle Grow it is then once a week for the next 6 weeks, keep it simple.
    Thanks @pete , Miracle Grow it is then once a week for the next 6 weeks, keep it simple.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. jimineycricket

Spuds left in ground for months due to harvesting error , safe to eat now ?

NB. When the leaves on potato plants die down like that it means the potatoes are ready to dig up. Not necessarily immediately but ready. All perfectly normal and healthy
    NB. When the leaves on potato plants die down like that it means the potatoes are ready to dig up. Not necessarily immediately but ready. All perfectly normal and healthy
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Huxley24

Cutting a boundary conifer

True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness...
    True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness of the drawn lines on Land Registry documents/maps can easily cover 18" of land. I don't know if...
    True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness of the drawn lines on Land Registry documents/maps...
    True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. jtface

Roots in flower beds

Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface soil about 2-3 inches. With the fork I have been attacking the big clumps. Sometimes up to 5-6 inches...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface soil about 2-3 inches. With the fork I have been...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Spruce

Amarine Belladiva new to me .....

That's pretty Spruce. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. mazambo

fritillaria imperialis maxima bulbs?

Thanks @ARMANDII I'll start tomorrow, I always find doing once a week things at the weekend much easier to remember.:blue thumb:
    Thanks @ARMANDII I'll start tomorrow, I always find doing once a week things at the weekend much easier to remember.:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ricky101

Suttons Summer Garden Planner 2020

Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full...
    Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full colour well presented A4 pages with seeds, plants and hardware, many a lot different from most...
    Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full colour well presented A4 pages with seeds, plants...
    Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. DMM

Parkers Quality ?

@Perki Thanks for the advice regarding monarda mate, very useful! :) Really appreciate the kind offer, but I'm not too keen on red. My garden is getting a bit oppressive with so much purple in it,...
    @Perki Thanks for the advice regarding monarda mate, very useful! :) Really appreciate the kind offer, but I'm not too keen on red. My garden is getting a bit oppressive with so much purple in it, so I'm going to add lots of white, blue and a little pink (that's where 'Beauty of Cobham' comes in),...
    @Perki Thanks for the advice regarding monarda mate, very useful! :) Really appreciate the kind offer, but I'm not too keen on red. My garden is getting a bit oppressive with so much purple in it, so I'm going to add lots of white, blue and a...
    @Perki Thanks for the advice regarding monarda mate, very useful! :) Really appreciate the kind offer, but I'm not too keen on red. My garden is getting a bit oppressive with so much purple in it,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve80

Boiled linseed oil

I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in...
    I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in a white spirit solution so was readily absorbed.
    I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in a white spirit solution so was readily absorbed.
    I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Like x 6

Gardeners can help

Nice one Steve
    Nice one Steve
    Nice one Steve
    Nice one Steve
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kon

Training trachelospermum jasminoides

This was mine from last summer. It's a lot bigger now but I don't have any recent photos. Your plant will need some kind of framework to tie it to.G.
    This was mine from last summer. It's a lot bigger now but I don't have any recent photos. Your plant will need some kind of framework to tie it to.G.
    IMG_20200317_134203.jpg 20190707_123546.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Steve R

In your opinion?

Weight of crop per seed sown?For me that's got to be Marrows with 100 lbs+ yield per plant.
    Weight of crop per seed sown?For me that's got to be Marrows with 100 lbs+ yield per plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. RoyP

Celandine removal

I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that...
    I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that using the Hoe worked well as it sliced through the Celandines and they haven't come back this year...
    I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that using the Hoe worked well as it sliced through the...
    I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Shyam

Japanese Acer - Orange dream

My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just...
    My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just wasting money. Mine are in ordinairy garden soil pH about 6-6.5 seldom get fed and grow well. The only...
    My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just wasting money. Mine are in ordinairy garden soil pH...
    My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. andrews

Seed Lists / Spreadsheets

I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it...
    I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it useful to look back to previous years for when to sow, how long seeds take to germinate, light...
    I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it useful to look back to previous years for when to...
    I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it...
    seeds.jpg upload_2020-3-12_22-48-26.png upload_2020-3-12_22-51-51.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Wispymisty

Trachelospermum jasminoides question

Thanks, I just always feel so rude if I don't answer
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. RobB

Dictamnus Fraxinella

Thanks mazambo, I couldn't find that advice so will be sowing them in the next day or so. :ThankYou:
    Thanks mazambo, I couldn't find that advice so will be sowing them in the next day or so. :ThankYou:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

HelloThanks for the comments.I am not a fan of 'Car Parks' and like a Patio to flow, if that makes sense, hopefully I achieved that.The garden was only planted last September, this Spring...
    HelloThanks for the comments.I am not a fan of 'Car Parks' and like a Patio to flow, if that makes sense, hopefully I achieved that.The garden was only planted last September, this Spring will be its first so I am looking forward to seeing how things grow this season.Also, being a bit...
    HelloThanks for the comments.I am not a fan of 'Car Parks' and like a Patio to flow, if that makes sense, hopefully I achieved that.The garden was only planted last September, this Spring will be its first so I am looking forward to seeing...
    HelloThanks for the comments.I am not a fan of 'Car Parks' and like a Patio to flow, if that makes sense, hopefully I achieved that.The garden was only planted last September, this Spring...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jack Sparrow

Daffodils

Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress...
    Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress of Ireland White Dream BroughshaneAll yellow -----Unsurpassable* Dutch master Bestseller King...
    Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress of Ireland White Dream BroughshaneAll yellow...
    Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice