General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Foxglove58

Waterlogged soil borders, newly landscaped garden

Thanks very much Fairy Girl, plenty of good advice from everyone. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Donna Crossman

Hollyhock bud in October

We have lots of hollyhocks flowering around here at the moment but I don't think that's particularly unusual. We get the same with other biennials like foxgloves. It just seems to happen because...
    We have lots of hollyhocks flowering around here at the moment but I don't think that's particularly unusual. We get the same with other biennials like foxgloves. It just seems to happen because they self seed so readily but not always in ideal conditions, so it takes some a while to get to...
    We have lots of hollyhocks flowering around here at the moment but I don't think that's particularly unusual. We get the same with other biennials like foxgloves. It just seems to happen because they self seed so readily but not always in ideal...
    We have lots of hollyhocks flowering around here at the moment but I don't think that's particularly unusual. We get the same with other biennials like foxgloves. It just seems to happen because...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. micearguers
    Like x 17

Fond of Fronds

That's cool @micearguers !
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Palustris

Hosta expertise needed.

Sienna Hosta has a good range of miniature varieties.Miniature and Small Hostas
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. trogre

Overwintering Geraniums (Pelagoniums)

I am able to leave mine in hanging baskets, and in pots on the ground, but if extended rough weather (lots of saturating rain or high winds) is imminent, I might move the baskets to a sheltered...
    I am able to leave mine in hanging baskets, and in pots on the ground, but if extended rough weather (lots of saturating rain or high winds) is imminent, I might move the baskets to a sheltered area for the duration. I am in an area of the UK with mild weather. Forecasts rarely suggest...
    I am able to leave mine in hanging baskets, and in pots on the ground, but if extended rough weather (lots of saturating rain or high winds) is imminent, I might move the baskets to a sheltered area for the duration. I am in an area of the UK...
    I am able to leave mine in hanging baskets, and in pots on the ground, but if extended rough weather (lots of saturating rain or high winds) is imminent, I might move the baskets to a sheltered...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Nickoslesteros

Need a tree

The diameter of the pot depends on how much you want it to “spread”. The depth, I don’t know but I’d say as deep as possible because the roots will fill the pot and it will dry out more quickly if...
    The diameter of the pot depends on how much you want it to “spread”. The depth, I don’t know but I’d say as deep as possible because the roots will fill the pot and it will dry out more quickly if it’s shallow. Likewise plastic would be better than wood.We have three bamboos in the garden, all...
    The diameter of the pot depends on how much you want it to “spread”. The depth, I don’t know but I’d say as deep as possible because the roots will fill the pot and it will dry out more quickly if it’s shallow. Likewise plastic would be better...
    The diameter of the pot depends on how much you want it to “spread”. The depth, I don’t know but I’d say as deep as possible because the roots will fill the pot and it will dry out more quickly if...
    PXL_20240924_165017881~2.jpg PXL_20240924_165017881~2.jpg IMG_5976.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. AnniD
    Informative x 4

Dobbies to close 17 Garden Centres

The Gosforth branch closure probably means I'll pay my mortgage off in half the time, it's on my commuting route and I have a totally empty new garden :biggrin:But to echo the others, it's not great....
    The Gosforth branch closure probably means I'll pay my mortgage off in half the time, it's on my commuting route and I have a totally empty new garden :biggrin:But to echo the others, it's not great. Some one off bargains and a very interesting aquarium/ pond integrated shop (they had Axolotl last...
    The Gosforth branch closure probably means I'll pay my mortgage off in half the time, it's on my commuting route and I have a totally empty new garden :biggrin:But to echo the others, it's not great. Some one off bargains and a very interesting...
    The Gosforth branch closure probably means I'll pay my mortgage off in half the time, it's on my commuting route and I have a totally empty new garden :biggrin:But to echo the others, it's not great....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. trogre

B& M Plants

Just bought a battery hedge trimmer from them in their sale for under £40. Tried it out today. Great buy.
    Just bought a battery hedge trimmer from them in their sale for under £40. Tried it out today. Great buy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wiseowl

What's Looking Good September

@ViewAhead my apologies for the delay in answering they usually grow to about 20 inches(50cm) which I would consider a dwarf variety (Michaelmas daisy) Blue Sapphire are their name
    @ViewAhead my apologies for the delay in answering they usually grow to about 20 inches(50cm) which I would consider a dwarf variety (Michaelmas daisy) Blue Sapphire are their name
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. BB3

Overwintering begonias

I haven't grown any for a while, but I used to depot the tubers, check these for any soft bits and discard if found, then pop them on a piece of kitchen roll in the airing cupboard to dry out. ...
    I haven't grown any for a while, but I used to depot the tubers, check these for any soft bits and discard if found, then pop them on a piece of kitchen roll in the airing cupboard to dry out. After that I'd wrap them individually in fresh kitchen roll, put them in a paper bag, and store this...
    I haven't grown any for a while, but I used to depot the tubers, check these for any soft bits and discard if found, then pop them on a piece of kitchen roll in the airing cupboard to dry out. After that I'd wrap them individually in fresh...
    I haven't grown any for a while, but I used to depot the tubers, check these for any soft bits and discard if found, then pop them on a piece of kitchen roll in the airing cupboard to dry out. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Will Hay

My Bulb Lasagne

I prefer to plant bulbs in borders. The soil is free draining here and winters quite mild so it's easier to let them spend winter in the ground and repeat flower the following year, if they want...
    I prefer to plant bulbs in borders. The soil is free draining here and winters quite mild so it's easier to let them spend winter in the ground and repeat flower the following year, if they want to :). A bulb lasagne is a good way to experiment with bulb flowering heights, flowering times and...
    I prefer to plant bulbs in borders. The soil is free draining here and winters quite mild so it's easier to let them spend winter in the ground and repeat flower the following year, if they want to :). A bulb lasagne is a good way to experiment...
    I prefer to plant bulbs in borders. The soil is free draining here and winters quite mild so it's easier to let them spend winter in the ground and repeat flower the following year, if they want...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Sheal
    Funny x 5

When slugs and snails...

He/she is My daughter's had a few close encounters and would love to give them a bear hug. :biggrin:
    He/she is My daughter's had a few close encounters and would love to give them a bear hug. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Will Hay
    Like x 4

Rescued these from the garden centre

Am sure they will put in their best effort to reward you for rescuing them. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. hailbopp

It’s official I detest common vetch, help needed.

Look on the bright side. Its a legume, so is rewarding you with fixated nitrogen , which is a bonus.... Its seeds are edible in small quantities but toxic in excess.
    Look on the bright side. Its a legume, so is rewarding you with fixated nitrogen , which is a bonus.... Its seeds are edible in small quantities but toxic in excess.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ryan.c

who's your nemesis

My Tropaeolum speciosum was bought and has grown well; however it has never flowered. As for my nemesis take your pick from my brother, a variety of teachers and especially my headmaster who...
    My Tropaeolum speciosum was bought and has grown well; however it has never flowered. As for my nemesis take your pick from my brother, a variety of teachers and especially my headmaster who wanted to cane me for my bad writing.
    My Tropaeolum speciosum was bought and has grown well; however it has never flowered. As for my nemesis take your pick from my brother, a variety of teachers and especially my headmaster who wanted to cane me for my bad writing.
    My Tropaeolum speciosum was bought and has grown well; however it has never flowered. As for my nemesis take your pick from my brother, a variety of teachers and especially my headmaster who...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Donna Crossman

Why are these hollyhock leaves all different

They look very healthy - look forward to seeing some flowers (might be next year, though.) Mine always get rust whenever I try to grow them now.:mad: Yours show no sign!
    They look very healthy - look forward to seeing some flowers (might be next year, though.) Mine always get rust whenever I try to grow them now.:mad: Yours show no sign!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. plantaholic

North facing front garden

I wasn't criticising @Alpine2 - it was just in case you hadn't noticed. Most people tend to start new threads if they're looking for ideas, and there's been a few quite recently.
    I wasn't criticising @Alpine2 - it was just in case you hadn't noticed. Most people tend to start new threads if they're looking for ideas, and there's been a few quite recently.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. John Bradley

300mm of topsoil –> over a metre of compacted clay!!

And that is the major problem. Its two- fold Land which until now has been rejected for development; flood plain in many cases, is now being built upon. Traditional drainage schemes are being...
    And that is the major problem. Its two- fold Land which until now has been rejected for development; flood plain in many cases, is now being built upon. Traditional drainage schemes are being neglected through a mixture of mistaken 'restoration'/rewilding/misappropriation of budgets. Allowing...
    And that is the major problem. Its two- fold Land which until now has been rejected for development; flood plain in many cases, is now being built upon. Traditional drainage schemes are being neglected through a mixture of mistaken...
    And that is the major problem. Its two- fold Land which until now has been rejected for development; flood plain in many cases, is now being built upon. Traditional drainage schemes are being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mattyp

When a north facing garden is south facing

This thread was a good read. I’ve got one side of back garden which has permanent shade from fence except for a short time first thing. Always a challenge knowing what to plant, especially when...
    This thread was a good read. I’ve got one side of back garden which has permanent shade from fence except for a short time first thing. Always a challenge knowing what to plant, especially when wanting year round interest.
    This thread was a good read. I’ve got one side of back garden which has permanent shade from fence except for a short time first thing. Always a challenge knowing what to plant, especially when wanting year round interest.
    This thread was a good read. I’ve got one side of back garden which has permanent shade from fence except for a short time first thing. Always a challenge knowing what to plant, especially when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. NewYorkshireGardener2024

Heather Calluna vulgaris

All you can do is keep an eye on them, and hope that the autumn/winter weather will benefit. Ling, which is what you have, is pretty hard to kill [even when being burned on hillsides to rejuvenate...
    All you can do is keep an eye on them, and hope that the autumn/winter weather will benefit. Ling, which is what you have, is pretty hard to kill [even when being burned on hillsides to rejuvenate it] but it does like plenty of moisture. A pot grown specimen can easily dry out though, and is...
    All you can do is keep an eye on them, and hope that the autumn/winter weather will benefit. Ling, which is what you have, is pretty hard to kill [even when being burned on hillsides to rejuvenate it] but it does like plenty of moisture. A pot...
    All you can do is keep an eye on them, and hope that the autumn/winter weather will benefit. Ling, which is what you have, is pretty hard to kill [even when being burned on hillsides to rejuvenate...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice