General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Will Hay

Is Compost enough or do I need topsoil too

Yes I have access to the side of the wall that allows me to get to the rear of the flower bed up on the wall and the treat the fence, which is a chore!!! Gave that fence 4 coats of the new colour!...
    Yes I have access to the side of the wall that allows me to get to the rear of the flower bed up on the wall and the treat the fence, which is a chore!!! Gave that fence 4 coats of the new colour! The so called 5 year version and sure it is blistering with the sun!The Johnsons Blue is very...
    Yes I have access to the side of the wall that allows me to get to the rear of the flower bed up on the wall and the treat the fence, which is a chore!!! Gave that fence 4 coats of the new colour! The so called 5 year version and sure it is...
    Yes I have access to the side of the wall that allows me to get to the rear of the flower bed up on the wall and the treat the fence, which is a chore!!! Gave that fence 4 coats of the new colour!...
    IMG_4755.jpg IMG-4881.jpg IMG_5023.jpg IMG_5025.jpg IMG_5027.jpg IMG_5030.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. trogre

Fuchsia leaves

That worked for me too. I hacked it down to the ankles but never got around to digging it out. It came back perfectly healthy. The benefits of being an idle gardener. PS. Clean your secateurs...
    That worked for me too. I hacked it down to the ankles but never got around to digging it out. It came back perfectly healthy. The benefits of being an idle gardener. PS. Clean your secateurs before you touch another fuchsia or you'll spread it
    That worked for me too. I hacked it down to the ankles but never got around to digging it out. It came back perfectly healthy. The benefits of being an idle gardener. PS. Clean your secateurs before you touch another fuchsia or you'll spread it
    That worked for me too. I hacked it down to the ankles but never got around to digging it out. It came back perfectly healthy. The benefits of being an idle gardener. PS. Clean your secateurs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. InTheMoors

Any ideas please

I'd not thought of this and you might be right. We have three small water features in out garden and have always had a lot of frogs, who eat loads of slugs and snails. Thinking about it we...
    I'd not thought of this and you might be right. We have three small water features in out garden and have always had a lot of frogs, who eat loads of slugs and snails. Thinking about it we haven't seen many frogs this year, nor was there much frogspawn in the ponds.Time for a rethink on how...
    I'd not thought of this and you might be right. We have three small water features in out garden and have always had a lot of frogs, who eat loads of slugs and snails. Thinking about it we haven't seen many frogs this year, nor was there much...
    I'd not thought of this and you might be right. We have three small water features in out garden and have always had a lot of frogs, who eat loads of slugs and snails. Thinking about it we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. noisette47

Orange or red-flowered climber suggestions

Phew I won't need to move it then.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Cornsquashandy

Butternut squash plants not growing

My Water melons are growing and have been since I planted them out, I think there could be a bit more going on rather than just temperature TBH.I see water melon as fairly tender, possibly more...
    My Water melons are growing and have been since I planted them out, I think there could be a bit more going on rather than just temperature TBH.I see water melon as fairly tender, possibly more tender than squash? Its not been getting as low as 10 c overnight here though for any length of...
    My Water melons are growing and have been since I planted them out, I think there could be a bit more going on rather than just temperature TBH.I see water melon as fairly tender, possibly more tender than squash? Its not been getting as low as...
    My Water melons are growing and have been since I planted them out, I think there could be a bit more going on rather than just temperature TBH.I see water melon as fairly tender, possibly more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. RDB85

Qualcast 35 Suffolk Punch

I didn’t end up buying it. I’m possibly looking at something else.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. eddybaby

I KNOW IT LOOKS A BIT LIKE PAUL THE OCTOPUS

Yes I wondered if that might be the case hence why I was reluctant to snip them all off immediately. Thank you for the advice :spinning:
    Yes I wondered if that might be the case hence why I was reluctant to snip them all off immediately. Thank you for the advice :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. LawnAndOrder

Is This Normal?

You need to cut off a lot of the leaves, its the leaf stems that make them more buoyant.
    You need to cut off a lot of the leaves, its the leaf stems that make them more buoyant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Grays

Foxglove seedlings

Yes, prick them out and plant into individual pots and put them in a sunny sheltered position until they get established. You can either grow them on in the pots until next year and plant out in...
    Yes, prick them out and plant into individual pots and put them in a sunny sheltered position until they get established. You can either grow them on in the pots until next year and plant out in the spring or plant out into your beds late summer/early autumn (I've had success doing both)
    Yes, prick them out and plant into individual pots and put them in a sunny sheltered position until they get established. You can either grow them on in the pots until next year and plant out in the spring or plant out into your beds late...
    Yes, prick them out and plant into individual pots and put them in a sunny sheltered position until they get established. You can either grow them on in the pots until next year and plant out in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Grays

Is it the end of the line for this sad fuschia?

Vine weevil? Possibly a bit early in the season for grubs but if the plant was hot-house raised, the life cycle may be earlier than normal. Is the plant firmly anchored in the soil?
    Vine weevil? Possibly a bit early in the season for grubs but if the plant was hot-house raised, the life cycle may be earlier than normal. Is the plant firmly anchored in the soil?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. gary english

new turf help please

hi ricky, thank you for your reply, i am very grateful,yes, i do tend to cut the rest of the grass quite short- in answer to your question
    hi ricky, thank you for your reply, i am very grateful,yes, i do tend to cut the rest of the grass quite short- in answer to your question
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. eddybaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Newbie1979

Cucumber plant growing mad

I'll pinch out the top then as it's hitting the underside of my conservatory roof. Thankyou
    I'll pinch out the top then as it's hitting the underside of my conservatory roof. Thankyou
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. CarolineL

Hydrangea not obeying chemistry

Good point I only recently planted it out - if it's roots haven't yet ventured into my acid soil, the compost in the pot was just MPC, so that may be affecting it. The source plant is growing in...
    Good point I only recently planted it out - if it's roots haven't yet ventured into my acid soil, the compost in the pot was just MPC, so that may be affecting it. The source plant is growing in a garden less than a mile away, with nothing done to the soil. So I had high hopes. Yours is a...
    Good point I only recently planted it out - if it's roots haven't yet ventured into my acid soil, the compost in the pot was just MPC, so that may be affecting it. The source plant is growing in a garden less than a mile away, with nothing done...
    Good point I only recently planted it out - if it's roots haven't yet ventured into my acid soil, the compost in the pot was just MPC, so that may be affecting it. The source plant is growing in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. novaf4

Help! Broken Star Jasmine

If you take cutting then do it straight away if you can, meanwhile put them in water. I would plant it in a bigger pot if you can't plant it in the ground.
    If you take cutting then do it straight away if you can, meanwhile put them in water. I would plant it in a bigger pot if you can't plant it in the ground.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Nickoslesteros

Acer / maple? Id needed - and can I reduce it's height a little?

Ash yes I hadn't really taken in the fact that it's a very large leaved variety. When they are that vigorous a cultivar it would be a never ending battle to keep it in check. If it had been...
    Ash yes I hadn't really taken in the fact that it's a very large leaved variety. When they are that vigorous a cultivar it would be a never ending battle to keep it in check. If it had been kept under control when it was much younger you might stand more chance.
    Ash yes I hadn't really taken in the fact that it's a very large leaved variety. When they are that vigorous a cultivar it would be a never ending battle to keep it in check. If it had been kept under control when it was much younger you...
    Ash yes I hadn't really taken in the fact that it's a very large leaved variety. When they are that vigorous a cultivar it would be a never ending battle to keep it in check. If it had been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Goldenlily26

Rose Hip Syrup

I wouldn’t dare pollard our quince. The bark split is almost completely around the trunk and quite low down, I’m amazed it’s still alive to be honest.Yes, our medlar is quite an architectural...
    I wouldn’t dare pollard our quince. The bark split is almost completely around the trunk and quite low down, I’m amazed it’s still alive to be honest.Yes, our medlar is quite an architectural shape as well. A fabulous shape but very sprawling and low. It does make me chuckle when I hear them...
    I wouldn’t dare pollard our quince. The bark split is almost completely around the trunk and quite low down, I’m amazed it’s still alive to be honest.Yes, our medlar is quite an architectural shape as well. A fabulous shape but very sprawling...
    I wouldn’t dare pollard our quince. The bark split is almost completely around the trunk and quite low down, I’m amazed it’s still alive to be honest.Yes, our medlar is quite an architectural...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. pete

Anyone tried growing these?

I seem to remember my father telling me he used to eat Tiger nuts. I have never seen them or tasted them. Let us knowhow you get on with them.
    I seem to remember my father telling me he used to eat Tiger nuts. I have never seen them or tasted them. Let us knowhow you get on with them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. johnboy

How many cuttings to new plants

Nothing to do with gardening but when off work ill I watched a beginners guide to painting and it was about the seaside and the tutor said if painting birds always paint odd numbers 3 or 5 I do...
    Nothing to do with gardening but when off work ill I watched a beginners guide to painting and it was about the seaside and the tutor said if painting birds always paint odd numbers 3 or 5 I do not know why this works better than even numbers but it always does he said so this relates well to...
    Nothing to do with gardening but when off work ill I watched a beginners guide to painting and it was about the seaside and the tutor said if painting birds always paint odd numbers 3 or 5 I do not know why this works better than even numbers but...
    Nothing to do with gardening but when off work ill I watched a beginners guide to painting and it was about the seaside and the tutor said if painting birds always paint odd numbers 3 or 5 I do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Nickoslesteros

Can I do anything with this plot?

Sarcococca confusa (sweet box) and other types are quite slow growing.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice