General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Hi Kevin,It's good to hear you are happy with your garden - it does look good.Thank you. :) The shoulder injury alone wouldn't be too much of a problem, but with other health issues it makes...
    Hi Kevin,It's good to hear you are happy with your garden - it does look good.Thank you. :) The shoulder injury alone wouldn't be too much of a problem, but with other health issues it makes sense to move and not have to worry about maintaining my current home and garden.Yes, there will...
    Hi Kevin,It's good to hear you are happy with your garden - it does look good.Thank you. :) The shoulder injury alone wouldn't be too much of a problem, but with other health issues it makes sense to move and not have to worry about...
    Hi Kevin,It's good to hear you are happy with your garden - it does look good.Thank you. :) The shoulder injury alone wouldn't be too much of a problem, but with other health issues it makes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. southerner

Moving plants, euonymus, rose, fuschia

You might also cut them back a bit so they don't wilt too much. They'll probably recover in a few weeks. I'll be moving an Acer soon and I'll be cutting it back quite a lot. If the weather turns...
    You might also cut them back a bit so they don't wilt too much. They'll probably recover in a few weeks. I'll be moving an Acer soon and I'll be cutting it back quite a lot. If the weather turns warm (a big IF !) you might shade them from the sun with something until they settle in.
    You might also cut them back a bit so they don't wilt too much. They'll probably recover in a few weeks. I'll be moving an Acer soon and I'll be cutting it back quite a lot. If the weather turns warm (a big IF !) you might shade them from the...
    You might also cut them back a bit so they don't wilt too much. They'll probably recover in a few weeks. I'll be moving an Acer soon and I'll be cutting it back quite a lot. If the weather turns...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. machtucker

What! Another really useful service gone!

Just have to wear gardening gloves.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Will Hay

What type of grass is this?

Difficult tell from your photo, really need a close up of the flower, if they are red it reminds me of Melica transsilvanica 'Red Spire'
    Difficult tell from your photo, really need a close up of the flower, if they are red it reminds me of Melica transsilvanica 'Red Spire'
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Greenfield81

Front garden planting ideas please

If you opt for an Acer, just make sure it will be suitable in terms of the soil, as most need neutral to acidic to be at their best. They need plenty of moisture but good drainage, and as you're...
    If you opt for an Acer, just make sure it will be suitable in terms of the soil, as most need neutral to acidic to be at their best. They need plenty of moisture but good drainage, and as you're in London, you may find it better to collect rainwater for summer watering. If they're growing well...
    If you opt for an Acer, just make sure it will be suitable in terms of the soil, as most need neutral to acidic to be at their best. They need plenty of moisture but good drainage, and as you're in London, you may find it better to collect...
    If you opt for an Acer, just make sure it will be suitable in terms of the soil, as most need neutral to acidic to be at their best. They need plenty of moisture but good drainage, and as you're...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NigelJ
    Like x 22

What's Looking Good In June 2024

July Thread Here:-What's Looking Good in July 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Nickoslesteros

Tree Id

You might not get enough heat for it to flower but the autumn colours are good, I find.Yeah the drainage is good, they seem to like dryer conditions mostly.
    You might not get enough heat for it to flower but the autumn colours are good, I find.Yeah the drainage is good, they seem to like dryer conditions mostly.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Ontopofthehill

Artemisia ludoviciana - friend or foe?

Grew a load of artemisia ludoviciana from seed this year and have just totally replanted our biggest perennial border with it in a few spots. However, am having an ongoing war getting rid of...
    Grew a load of artemisia ludoviciana from seed this year and have just totally replanted our biggest perennial border with it in a few spots. However, am having an ongoing war getting rid of Bidens 'Lemon Drop' and a pink Japanese Anemone though and starting to get concerned this is of similar...
    Grew a load of artemisia ludoviciana from seed this year and have just totally replanted our biggest perennial border with it in a few spots. However, am having an ongoing war getting rid of Bidens 'Lemon Drop' and a pink Japanese Anemone though...
    Grew a load of artemisia ludoviciana from seed this year and have just totally replanted our biggest perennial border with it in a few spots. However, am having an ongoing war getting rid of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. jtj321

Climbing roses with very long flowering stems

Sounds and looks like my Dublin Bay. It's stubborn too. I've been battling it for years. Stems shoot up 12ft + into the air
    Sounds and looks like my Dublin Bay. It's stubborn too. I've been battling it for years. Stems shoot up 12ft + into the air
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Nickoslesteros

Perennial ID.. some sort of iris?

I tend to think Iris and crocosmia mostly have a flat fan shape. It could even be Yucca filamentosa.
    I tend to think Iris and crocosmia mostly have a flat fan shape. It could even be Yucca filamentosa.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. eddybaby

Ants Nest?

Thank you I'll give it a go
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. TheMadHedger

Tulip bulbs - after digging up the old ones, what to do with the tiny ones?

I lift them, soil and all, and dump them into some old large plastic tubs behind the greenhouse. In the Autumn, I rummage through and any large, firm ones get planted into our wild area or...
    I lift them, soil and all, and dump them into some old large plastic tubs behind the greenhouse. In the Autumn, I rummage through and any large, firm ones get planted into our wild area or occasionally an old pot. IMO it’s hit and miss how much of a show you’ll get from them the next year.I...
    I lift them, soil and all, and dump them into some old large plastic tubs behind the greenhouse. In the Autumn, I rummage through and any large, firm ones get planted into our wild area or occasionally an old pot. IMO it’s hit and miss how much...
    I lift them, soil and all, and dump them into some old large plastic tubs behind the greenhouse. In the Autumn, I rummage through and any large, firm ones get planted into our wild area or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. MrHappyDays

Is my acer well?

I agree with the above, all those rocks will also hold and radiate a lot of heat which isn't ideal. Japanese Acers are understorey plants, they thrive in sheltered semi shaded conditions in their...
    I agree with the above, all those rocks will also hold and radiate a lot of heat which isn't ideal. Japanese Acers are understorey plants, they thrive in sheltered semi shaded conditions in their natural setting. But a lot of watering can help with more sun exposure from experience of growing...
    I agree with the above, all those rocks will also hold and radiate a lot of heat which isn't ideal. Japanese Acers are understorey plants, they thrive in sheltered semi shaded conditions in their natural setting. But a lot of watering can help...
    I agree with the above, all those rocks will also hold and radiate a lot of heat which isn't ideal. Japanese Acers are understorey plants, they thrive in sheltered semi shaded conditions in their...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

Whats Looking good May 2024

Done! :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Greenfield81

Geum + verbena drooping

Geums do that late in the season.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Max1989

Help with withered plants after 12 days away from garden

I agree with the others. If you are going away and can't water plants then it is worth moving any pots into a shadier position because it reduces their need for watering. I would give the loquat a...
    I agree with the others. If you are going away and can't water plants then it is worth moving any pots into a shadier position because it reduces their need for watering. I would give the loquat a bigger pot, a nice water and think about adding some mulch around it to help reduce water loss. You...
    I agree with the others. If you are going away and can't water plants then it is worth moving any pots into a shadier position because it reduces their need for watering. I would give the loquat a bigger pot, a nice water and think about adding...
    I agree with the others. If you are going away and can't water plants then it is worth moving any pots into a shadier position because it reduces their need for watering. I would give the loquat a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Grays

Winter jasmine - prune, or not to prune?

Yes, I’m a bit obsessed with trimming shrubs, keeping them tidy etc, it’s always flowered whenever I’ve trimmed it, but was thinking if I could resist the temptation I might be rewarded with even...
    Yes, I’m a bit obsessed with trimming shrubs, keeping them tidy etc, it’s always flowered whenever I’ve trimmed it, but was thinking if I could resist the temptation I might be rewarded with even more flowers next January.
    Yes, I’m a bit obsessed with trimming shrubs, keeping them tidy etc, it’s always flowered whenever I’ve trimmed it, but was thinking if I could resist the temptation I might be rewarded with even more flowers next January.
    Yes, I’m a bit obsessed with trimming shrubs, keeping them tidy etc, it’s always flowered whenever I’ve trimmed it, but was thinking if I could resist the temptation I might be rewarded with even...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ViewAhead

Fern lifespan

There's gravel round it, so adding organic matter isn't really an option, but I could try some seaweed feed. :blue thumb:
    There's gravel round it, so adding organic matter isn't really an option, but I could try some seaweed feed. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. DM77

Hedge planting advice please

Thanks fairygirl, I will heed that advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dom777

Virgina creeper turning red too soon- advice sought

Have you not got anywhere it could grow in the ground? One specimen will cover metres of fence (7+ here) so even if the spot is some way from your patio you could plant it and then train all the...
    Have you not got anywhere it could grow in the ground? One specimen will cover metres of fence (7+ here) so even if the spot is some way from your patio you could plant it and then train all the growth towards your patio area
    Have you not got anywhere it could grow in the ground? One specimen will cover metres of fence (7+ here) so even if the spot is some way from your patio you could plant it and then train all the growth towards your patio area
    Have you not got anywhere it could grow in the ground? One specimen will cover metres of fence (7+ here) so even if the spot is some way from your patio you could plant it and then train all the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice