General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. PhilC

eucryphia x nymansensis ‘nymansay’ where can i get it?

Finally got one No idea where it will go!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Loofah

Campsis

Campsis arrived in good time and was a very healthy plant, hopefully I can keep it that way! The removed climbing hydrangea has provided several plants in addition to the main one and I've put...
    Campsis arrived in good time and was a very healthy plant, hopefully I can keep it that way! The removed climbing hydrangea has provided several plants in addition to the main one and I've put those in various more shaded areas :)
    Campsis arrived in good time and was a very healthy plant, hopefully I can keep it that way! The removed climbing hydrangea has provided several plants in addition to the main one and I've put those in various more shaded areas :)
    Campsis arrived in good time and was a very healthy plant, hopefully I can keep it that way! The removed climbing hydrangea has provided several plants in addition to the main one and I've put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. William Miller

Raised beds

Hi , yes get it now never read your first message properly thanks for your help will get that from toolstation then the hard work starts. Thanks again
    Hi , yes get it now never read your first message properly thanks for your help will get that from toolstation then the hard work starts. Thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. napster

Cuttings and seed collection

Thank you for your advice Pete. I'm off to get some pots then!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. RicMetty

Full shade dry spot

I think Selleri has a good idea. Over at another place, there's a very large weeping willow, now very much trimmed but ivied, and the ground under is allowed to grow whatever it will support, with...
    I think Selleri has a good idea. Over at another place, there's a very large weeping willow, now very much trimmed but ivied, and the ground under is allowed to grow whatever it will support, with a few additions... it's mown, on a high setting, from time to time, but otherwise left alone, the...
    I think Selleri has a good idea. Over at another place, there's a very large weeping willow, now very much trimmed but ivied, and the ground under is allowed to grow whatever it will support, with a few additions... it's mown, on a high setting,...
    I think Selleri has a good idea. Over at another place, there's a very large weeping willow, now very much trimmed but ivied, and the ground under is allowed to grow whatever it will support, with...
    P1070098.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Joyce Esau

Orchids

As far as I'm concerned its all experimentation I see what you mean about the roots going into forks in the branches but I've heard stories of orchids of many types just being nailed to a branch...
    As far as I'm concerned its all experimentation I see what you mean about the roots going into forks in the branches but I've heard stories of orchids of many types just being nailed to a branch and left to get on with it, in proper tropical conditions, not sure if its true.Most epiphytes...
    As far as I'm concerned its all experimentation I see what you mean about the roots going into forks in the branches but I've heard stories of orchids of many types just being nailed to a branch and left to get on with it, in proper tropical...
    As far as I'm concerned its all experimentation I see what you mean about the roots going into forks in the branches but I've heard stories of orchids of many types just being nailed to a branch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. NoviceGardener2023

New Garden Shed and Soft Ground

Quite a good few suggestions in the thread for a base. Thank you all, very helpful.The plan is to stay in the house for 5/6 years, so ultimately I only need the wooden shed to last till then,...
    Quite a good few suggestions in the thread for a base. Thank you all, very helpful.The plan is to stay in the house for 5/6 years, so ultimately I only need the wooden shed to last till then, thereafter, the new owners can worry about it as we wont be taking it with us.With that in mind, it...
    Quite a good few suggestions in the thread for a base. Thank you all, very helpful.The plan is to stay in the house for 5/6 years, so ultimately I only need the wooden shed to last till then, thereafter, the new owners can worry about it as we...
    Quite a good few suggestions in the thread for a base. Thank you all, very helpful.The plan is to stay in the house for 5/6 years, so ultimately I only need the wooden shed to last till then,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Hello @Michael HewettThanksThere is a fair bit of Weeding needed and it is increasing, unfortunately :sad:I just hope I can get back into the Garden sooner rather than later :)Kevin
    Hello @Michael HewettThanksThere is a fair bit of Weeding needed and it is increasing, unfortunately :sad:I just hope I can get back into the Garden sooner rather than later :)Kevin
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. shiney
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Spruce

Eryngium best variety to grow ?

thanks everyone I will look into what you have suggestedSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fat Controller

SBK (or stronger?) - please don't judge!

I can relate to your problems as cutting grass with me is too much, everything has to be sitting down to get done. If another project pops up then the other gets left.
    I can relate to your problems as cutting grass with me is too much, everything has to be sitting down to get done. If another project pops up then the other gets left.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. c3k

My poor Hebe!..

Just a wee update. The Hebe was toast. I left it until way into spring but no signs of life and it had to go. Replaced it with a nice wee Acer.
    Just a wee update. The Hebe was toast. I left it until way into spring but no signs of life and it had to go. Replaced it with a nice wee Acer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Dugie

Deadhead?

Two trains of thought with hebes. Light pruning with shears to maintain shape(how I do it) Hard prune with heavy machinery to maintain shape(hit or miss if it survives...maybe)
    Two trains of thought with hebes. Light pruning with shears to maintain shape(how I do it) Hard prune with heavy machinery to maintain shape(hit or miss if it survives...maybe)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Madahhlia

Geranium palmatum /canariense

Sorry this is about 12 years late! But I have experienced exactly the same phenomenon with geranium palmatum you buy a plant it grows very well it self seeds around quite merrily and the whole...
    Sorry this is about 12 years late! But I have experienced exactly the same phenomenon with geranium palmatum you buy a plant it grows very well it self seeds around quite merrily and the whole caboodle just disappears all the seedings you dig up just don't grow main plant and other siblings just...
    Sorry this is about 12 years late! But I have experienced exactly the same phenomenon with geranium palmatum you buy a plant it grows very well it self seeds around quite merrily and the whole caboodle just disappears all the seedings you dig up...
    Sorry this is about 12 years late! But I have experienced exactly the same phenomenon with geranium palmatum you buy a plant it grows very well it self seeds around quite merrily and the whole...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. fred88

Lavender seedlings?

Sorry both, my email notification didn't work.Thanks for your advice. The hedge is looking good (mostly) but it's important to me that flower colour matches exactly so won't take a chance. I...
    Sorry both, my email notification didn't work.Thanks for your advice. The hedge is looking good (mostly) but it's important to me that flower colour matches exactly so won't take a chance. I can't bring myself to hoe the seedlings so will pot them to see what happens.Thanks again.
    Sorry both, my email notification didn't work.Thanks for your advice. The hedge is looking good (mostly) but it's important to me that flower colour matches exactly so won't take a chance. I can't bring myself to hoe the seedlings so will pot...
    Sorry both, my email notification didn't work.Thanks for your advice. The hedge is looking good (mostly) but it's important to me that flower colour matches exactly so won't take a chance. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Cottage_plants

Gypsophila festival white

That's brilliant, thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. fumanchu
    Like x 11

Just an update..

This is what I had seen, or similar, as I say not perfect and never tried it. Amazon.co.uk
    This is what I had seen, or similar, as I say not perfect and never tried it. Amazon.co.uk
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Spruce
    Like x 3

Agapanthus Black Jack plant of the year UK 2023

I picked one up same week as Chelsea flower show without the hiked price . Mine a nice purple also but the buds at first are nearly black
    I picked one up same week as Chelsea flower show without the hiked price . Mine a nice purple also but the buds at first are nearly black
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. NoviceGardener2023

Water Butt Advice

needs a cover ,,, very dangerous ... even if only chicken wire
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. roders
    Like x 5

How is your lawn this year?

I've got that all over my grass and I'm seeing the orange one as well now for the first time this year.
    I've got that all over my grass and I'm seeing the orange one as well now for the first time this year.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice