General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Fat Controller

2021 - What are we planting?

Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I...
    Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I promised myself I'd simmer down and not get carried away..It's not going to happen is it...:doh::biggrin:
    Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I promised myself I'd simmer down and not get carried...
    Tomatoes... I'm going for my old faithfulls..Beefmasters and Alicante..probably sneek in some cherry toms too.. Cues ...again I shall be growing Socrates.. Oh don't get me started because I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Janet mahay
    Like x 3

Potatoes by trees did well

I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted...
    I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted down in it. I think the very old idea of having a fallow patch was a good one.
    I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted down in it. I think the very old idea of having a...
    I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year. If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN SEPTEMBER 2020

My Encianthus after the rain today.
    DSCF4062.jpg DSCF4066.jpg DSCF4069.jpg DSCF4082.jpg DSCF4122.jpg DSCF4125.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. SimonZ

Campanula

I don't have any. I rely entirely on nature, apart from watering in dry spells.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SimonZ

Perovskia "Blue Spire."

While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the...
    While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the rock, and placed it as a support in front of the stalks, and am wondering if the clump will revive.
    While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the rock, and placed it as a support in front of the...
    While this plant grew and spread nicely across the front of the garden, one clump seemed top get bowed down by heavy rain, and inexplicably flattened at the base under a rock. I've removed the...
    DSCF0266.JPG DSCF2734.JPG DSCF2735.JPG DSCF2149.JPG DSCF2136.JPG DSCF2137.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Michael Hewett

Fern

Looks like a Heart Leaf Fern.There's more than 20,000 known species of Fern, but being a shop bought one helps narrow it down a bit.
    Looks like a Heart Leaf Fern.There's more than 20,000 known species of Fern, but being a shop bought one helps narrow it down a bit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. SimonZ

Stachys byzantina (Lamb's ears)

Thank you; I will do this.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. clum111

Godetia 'Rembrandt'

@Upsydaisy Thanks for your reply & photos. I do find photos easier to see what I'm looking for than just text, so thank you. Hopefully we'll get a bit of dry spell for the pods to dry & I can get...
    @Upsydaisy Thanks for your reply & photos. I do find photos easier to see what I'm looking for than just text, so thank you. Hopefully we'll get a bit of dry spell for the pods to dry & I can get the seeds.
    @Upsydaisy Thanks for your reply & photos. I do find photos easier to see what I'm looking for than just text, so thank you. Hopefully we'll get a bit of dry spell for the pods to dry & I can get the seeds.
    @Upsydaisy Thanks for your reply & photos. I do find photos easier to see what I'm looking for than just text, so thank you. Hopefully we'll get a bit of dry spell for the pods to dry & I can get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Black Orchid

When to repot Lagerstroemia erry Dazzle and Leycesteria Little Lanterns?

Lagerstroemia grows well in my garden its not acid, so does leycesteria.Probably go for repotting the leycesteria about early March and hold off on the Lagerstroemia till May, it starts into...
    Lagerstroemia grows well in my garden its not acid, so does leycesteria.Probably go for repotting the leycesteria about early March and hold off on the Lagerstroemia till May, it starts into growth fairly late in my experience.
    Lagerstroemia grows well in my garden its not acid, so does leycesteria.Probably go for repotting the leycesteria about early March and hold off on the Lagerstroemia till May, it starts into growth fairly late in my experience.
    Lagerstroemia grows well in my garden its not acid, so does leycesteria.Probably go for repotting the leycesteria about early March and hold off on the Lagerstroemia till May, it starts into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Tinkerbelle61
    Funny x 3

Vegetable Identity Crisis-Radish or Parsnip?

'Abnormalities of Root Crops'. Internet search may be of interest to veg growers.
    'Abnormalities of Root Crops'. Internet search may be of interest to veg growers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. HarryS

When to Plant Bulbs?

It's just the precautionary recommended advice....................not doing it doesn't mean bulbs will get it.:dunno:
    It's just the precautionary recommended advice....................not doing it doesn't mean bulbs will get it.:dunno:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Sheal
    Like x 4

New border bed

Thanks again Sian :) but Persicaria is too tall. I'll be using ground hugging plants for the bank, as I need access not only to the three tanks and their pipework but the housing for the pump too....
    Thanks again Sian :) but Persicaria is too tall. I'll be using ground hugging plants for the bank, as I need access not only to the three tanks and their pipework but the housing for the pump too. They are all at intervals along the 30ft length and halfway down the bank.
    Thanks again Sian :) but Persicaria is too tall. I'll be using ground hugging plants for the bank, as I need access not only to the three tanks and their pipework but the housing for the pump too. They are all at intervals along the 30ft length and...
    Thanks again Sian :) but Persicaria is too tall. I'll be using ground hugging plants for the bank, as I need access not only to the three tanks and their pipework but the housing for the pump too....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Scotty Cotswolds

Pyracantha advice/help please

I agree with @ricky101 being against a wall might stop the rain getting to them and you will have to trim it if close to a footpath. I wouldn't add anything to the water. They're still settling...
    I agree with @ricky101 being against a wall might stop the rain getting to them and you will have to trim it if close to a footpath. I wouldn't add anything to the water. They're still settling in and might lose a few leaves.
    I agree with @ricky101 being against a wall might stop the rain getting to them and you will have to trim it if close to a footpath. I wouldn't add anything to the water. They're still settling in and might lose a few leaves.
    I agree with @ricky101 being against a wall might stop the rain getting to them and you will have to trim it if close to a footpath. I wouldn't add anything to the water. They're still settling...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Sienna's Blossom

Mahonia Query

Patience was never my strong point though @pete :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tinkerbelle61
    Like x 14

Proof our plants Love us!

Another couple of heart tomatoes, not quite as pronounced in heart shape as the first one. Will use @Scrungee technique to save some seeds from these two and see what happens next year. You can...
    Another couple of heart tomatoes, not quite as pronounced in heart shape as the first one. Will use @Scrungee technique to save some seeds from these two and see what happens next year. You can find @Scrungee seed saving technique under the TOMATO GROWING 2020 thread.Tink
    Another couple of heart tomatoes, not quite as pronounced in heart shape as the first one. Will use @Scrungee technique to save some seeds from these two and see what happens next year. You can find @Scrungee seed saving technique under the...
    Another couple of heart tomatoes, not quite as pronounced in heart shape as the first one. Will use @Scrungee technique to save some seeds from these two and see what happens next year. You can...
    F38F1597-38AD-4853-AE61-9D254B715E32.jpeg 3E36362E-DEFC-48F7-B538-A9740D9816F6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. hoofy
    Like x 3

Winter bedding plants in shade

For the winter I'd put violas in that very nice long planter. (A few cyclamen would do well in full shade) In the summer I'd put in impatiens for a riot of colour that can handle semi shade.
    For the winter I'd put violas in that very nice long planter. (A few cyclamen would do well in full shade) In the summer I'd put in impatiens for a riot of colour that can handle semi shade.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Lee.

Identification of a Plant

Thanks, I find it very rewarding to pop back indoors from apple pressing in the garden, check for new posts and post a correct response to an ID request within 3 mins of being posted.Back to my...
    Thanks, I find it very rewarding to pop back indoors from apple pressing in the garden, check for new posts and post a correct response to an ID request within 3 mins of being posted.Back to my apples ......
    Thanks, I find it very rewarding to pop back indoors from apple pressing in the garden, check for new posts and post a correct response to an ID request within 3 mins of being posted.Back to my apples ......
    Thanks, I find it very rewarding to pop back indoors from apple pressing in the garden, check for new posts and post a correct response to an ID request within 3 mins of being posted.Back to my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. The Badger

Curious holes in my lawn

We've had badgers over the years and i always know when one is 'back' They are strong for their size and you can see ground well dug and pots dishevelled as they root around for earth worms. We...
    We've had badgers over the years and i always know when one is 'back' They are strong for their size and you can see ground well dug and pots dishevelled as they root around for earth worms. We did have a semi tame one a few years back that stayed under the shed. We put out peanut butter...
    We've had badgers over the years and i always know when one is 'back' They are strong for their size and you can see ground well dug and pots dishevelled as they root around for earth worms. We did have a semi tame one a few years back that...
    We've had badgers over the years and i always know when one is 'back' They are strong for their size and you can see ground well dug and pots dishevelled as they root around for earth worms. We...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Rav

Recommended lawnmower

I’ve not used a GTech.
    I’ve not used a GTech.
    I’ve not used a GTech.
    I’ve not used a GTech.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Glynne Williams

Pillar box red Clematis

Thanks for itemising your fears regarding LCD versus Viewfinder situation, in an enjoyable way! They are what I feared! In normal times id be able to go to a shop and try some cameras, but so far...
    Thanks for itemising your fears regarding LCD versus Viewfinder situation, in an enjoyable way! They are what I feared! In normal times id be able to go to a shop and try some cameras, but so far I haven't done that. However there is a Jessops a few miles away so perhaps I should pluck up the...
    Thanks for itemising your fears regarding LCD versus Viewfinder situation, in an enjoyable way! They are what I feared! In normal times id be able to go to a shop and try some cameras, but so far I haven't done that. However there is a Jessops a...
    Thanks for itemising your fears regarding LCD versus Viewfinder situation, in an enjoyable way! They are what I feared! In normal times id be able to go to a shop and try some cameras, but so far...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice