General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. mazambo

Pea netting?

Hi,Not aware of any specific name, most garden centers have a section where there are racks of loose netting and bubble wrap etc, you just buy it per meter in the width and length you...
    Hi,Not aware of any specific name, most garden centers have a section where there are racks of loose netting and bubble wrap etc, you just buy it per meter in the width and length you need.Some diy places also sell it in prepacked lengths. Blooma Plastic Wire mesh fencing (L)5m (W)1m | DIY...
    Hi,Not aware of any specific name, most garden centers have a section where there are racks of loose netting and bubble wrap etc, you just buy it per meter in the width and length you need.Some diy places also sell it in prepacked...
    Hi,Not aware of any specific name, most garden centers have a section where there are racks of loose netting and bubble wrap etc, you just buy it per meter in the width and length you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. noisette47
    Agree x 3

Seed catalogues

It was put in my mail box several days ago but there was nothing there that made me jump in the air and Hayloft, who I like, was unfortunately the same. There's a lot of Bulb Companies sent...
    It was put in my mail box several days ago but there was nothing there that made me jump in the air and Hayloft, who I like, was unfortunately the same. There's a lot of Bulb Companies sent catalogues as well but I've already splurged on Bulbs late last year and those are in the ground. ...
    It was put in my mail box several days ago but there was nothing there that made me jump in the air and Hayloft, who I like, was unfortunately the same. There's a lot of Bulb Companies sent catalogues as well but I've already splurged on Bulbs...
    It was put in my mail box several days ago but there was nothing there that made me jump in the air and Hayloft, who I like, was unfortunately the same. There's a lot of Bulb Companies sent...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marcus00

Garden advice - pavers

Mirrors are an interesting idea, but you get a *lot* of reflected light just by painting a wall white. A bucket of white paint will give you a much brighter space for much less money. :)
    Mirrors are an interesting idea, but you get a *lot* of reflected light just by painting a wall white. A bucket of white paint will give you a much brighter space for much less money. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Linz

Alternatives to plastic single cell seed trays?

My congratulations to Mrs. S.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sienna's Blossom

Honey Garlic Bulbs

@redstar From a few years ago Nectaroscordum tripedaleStem is about 3ft tall, foliage smells unpleasantly when bruised.
    @redstar From a few years ago Nectaroscordum tripedaleStem is about 3ft tall, foliage smells unpleasantly when bruised.
    Nectaroscordum tripedale.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NigelJ
    Like x 12

What's Looking Good in January 2020

Hellebores
    Hellebores
    Hellebores
    Hellebores
    Scilla mischtshenkoana.JPG Correa glabra turnbulli.JPG Helleborus hybrid 1.JPG Helleborus hybrid.JPG Fuchsia microphylla.JPG Helleborus argutifolius.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. RoyP

Weeds!!!

Thanks both for your replies, very useful, much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Eden1

Gardening TV Shows

Yep dont get me wrong I have come around a bit to Monty, must admit I didn't like him at first, but he is the newer kind of gardener who struggles if the reds are clashing with the purples;):yikes:.But...
    Yep dont get me wrong I have come around a bit to Monty, must admit I didn't like him at first, but he is the newer kind of gardener who struggles if the reds are clashing with the purples;):yikes:.But I'd actually like a programme that deals with plants, the way they fit in and most of all a bit of...
    Yep dont get me wrong I have come around a bit to Monty, must admit I didn't like him at first, but he is the newer kind of gardener who struggles if the reds are clashing with the purples;):yikes:.But I'd actually like a programme that deals with...
    Yep dont get me wrong I have come around a bit to Monty, must admit I didn't like him at first, but he is the newer kind of gardener who struggles if the reds are clashing with the purples;):yikes:.But...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Pushkin

Difference between Non-Stop and Double Begonias?

I'm not sure, I think they all have female flowers, but the profusion of flowers in a bedding display means you dont actually notice unless you look very closelyAs I say, I think "nonstop"is...
    I'm not sure, I think they all have female flowers, but the profusion of flowers in a bedding display means you dont actually notice unless you look very closelyAs I say, I think "nonstop"is just a breeders name for that strain.Found this but you have probably already found it, the word...
    I'm not sure, I think they all have female flowers, but the profusion of flowers in a bedding display means you dont actually notice unless you look very closelyAs I say, I think "nonstop"is just a breeders name for that strain.Found this but...
    I'm not sure, I think they all have female flowers, but the profusion of flowers in a bedding display means you dont actually notice unless you look very closelyAs I say, I think "nonstop"is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. clanless

Are Homebase bonkers?

Unless you're getting a bit like some of us :old:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. nightofjoy

Scatter seeds for shaded area

I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden...
    I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden always has cats visiting with no deleterious effect. We also don't seem to come across any cat poo :scratch:...
    I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden always has cats visiting with no deleterious effect....
    I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. kriss

When to cut back?

I cut all ours back in November :yikes:....probably not right but they've never complained and always return!!:bigthumb:
    I cut all ours back in November :yikes:....probably not right but they've never complained and always return!!:bigthumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Spruce

pieris forest flame (but which one)

thank you
    thank you
    thank you
    thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

Penstemons

I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're...
    I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're beginning to flop all over the place. We'll cut them back late March to early April - if we get around...
    I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're beginning to flop all over the place. We'll cut them...
    I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

My 3 kg of Winston seed potatoes arrived from Suttons yesterday, very well packed and I shall use them again.
    My 3 kg of Winston seed potatoes arrived from Suttons yesterday, very well packed and I shall use them again.
    ostokset.JPG 20190113_113423.jpg DSC_0919.jpg DSC_0920.jpg 070A75CC-7E4F-4034-BAE1-543B0B507FAE.jpeg 20190121_153822.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. TheMadHedger

Cyclamen - why are the pink flowers turning white?

Thanks, very nice photos, yours look a lot better than mine. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sian in Belgium

Replacement for blighted box hedge

Yew is my current favourite! But if rosemary is in the list then probably lavender should be too. Lonicera ntida and even privet...
    Yew is my current favourite! But if rosemary is in the list then probably lavender should be too. Lonicera ntida and even privet...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. SimonZ

Perovskia "Blue Spire."

Perhaps this article will help. Seems our friend Verdun's advice to prune in early May was spot on for your region, Simon. I planted three in my back garden in Summer but am a tad concerned about...
    Perhaps this article will help. Seems our friend Verdun's advice to prune in early May was spot on for your region, Simon. I planted three in my back garden in Summer but am a tad concerned about them not performing well after reading this because my site doesn't get year-round sunshine! I'm not...
    Perhaps this article will help. Seems our friend Verdun's advice to prune in early May was spot on for your region, Simon. I planted three in my back garden in Summer but am a tad concerned about them not performing well after reading this...
    Perhaps this article will help. Seems our friend Verdun's advice to prune in early May was spot on for your region, Simon. I planted three in my back garden in Summer but am a tad concerned about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jack Sparrow

Transplanting cyclamen

Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. ...
    Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. Smaller species best for rock gardens etc. Hardiness, fully hardy to frost tender. ...
    Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. Smaller species best for rock gardens etc. ...
    Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. ...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice