General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. TheMadHedger

Courgettes - two of my 'Patty Pan' variety look like knobbly little pumpkins ...

Thanks, very interesting. I'll try the tongue test if I get any more like that this year. :-)
    Thanks, very interesting. I'll try the tongue test if I get any more like that this year. :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. RDB85

Water logged Soil advice

It does sound like there's something else going on @RDB85 , so that may be trickier as further investigation would be needed. That depends on how keen you are to improve it all, and it could be...
    It does sound like there's something else going on @RDB85 , so that may be trickier as further investigation would be needed. That depends on how keen you are to improve it all, and it could be worth trying a different approach with the planting first. A simple soakaway might even do the job. My...
    It does sound like there's something else going on @RDB85 , so that may be trickier as further investigation would be needed. That depends on how keen you are to improve it all, and it could be worth trying a different approach with the planting...
    It does sound like there's something else going on @RDB85 , so that may be trickier as further investigation would be needed. That depends on how keen you are to improve it all, and it could be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. BB3
    Funny x 3

Rookie Sparrows

We had the same thing here when we first arrived nearly two years ago. Got a bird table and bird bath and now we're inundated. It's costing us a fortune in bird food:biggrin::sparrow:Yesterday we installed a...
    We had the same thing here when we first arrived nearly two years ago. Got a bird table and bird bath and now we're inundated. It's costing us a fortune in bird food:biggrin::sparrow:Yesterday we installed a "sparrow loft" so hope they, or other small birds, find that comfy :fingers crossed:
    We had the same thing here when we first arrived nearly two years ago. Got a bird table and bird bath and now we're inundated. It's costing us a fortune in bird food:biggrin::sparrow:Yesterday we installed a "sparrow loft" so hope they, or other small birds,...
    We had the same thing here when we first arrived nearly two years ago. Got a bird table and bird bath and now we're inundated. It's costing us a fortune in bird food:biggrin::sparrow:Yesterday we installed a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ricky101

Marigolds, Whitefly and Tomatoes ?

Marigolds, especially tagetes (French marigolds) contain pyrethrins which are natural insecticides. Any flower in the vegetable garden helps attract pollinating insects.
    Marigolds, especially tagetes (French marigolds) contain pyrethrins which are natural insecticides. Any flower in the vegetable garden helps attract pollinating insects.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. elya

orchid help

Hi,Yes, cut those brown stems off as low as you can get them, they are dead and serve no purpose.Your plant looks good and healthy with a new leaf emerging so you are clearly doing things...
    Hi,Yes, cut those brown stems off as low as you can get them, they are dead and serve no purpose.Your plant looks good and healthy with a new leaf emerging so you are clearly doing things right.Don't know if or when you are feeding them, but if not, now is a good time to give it a...
    Hi,Yes, cut those brown stems off as low as you can get them, they are dead and serve no purpose.Your plant looks good and healthy with a new leaf emerging so you are clearly doing things right.Don't know if or when you are feeding them,...
    Hi,Yes, cut those brown stems off as low as you can get them, they are dead and serve no purpose.Your plant looks good and healthy with a new leaf emerging so you are clearly doing things...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Grays

Ideas or suggestions what to plant in this shady area.

I was going to say - Astilbes like moist conditions so I'd be wary of using them, but @fairygirl has beaten me to it!I started with 6 foxglove plants that I bought. I let some go to seed then I...
    I was going to say - Astilbes like moist conditions so I'd be wary of using them, but @fairygirl has beaten me to it!I started with 6 foxglove plants that I bought. I let some go to seed then I scatter them. I get lots of little plants that I thin out. They've been lovely this year. I've...
    I was going to say - Astilbes like moist conditions so I'd be wary of using them, but @fairygirl has beaten me to it!I started with 6 foxglove plants that I bought. I let some go to seed then I scatter them. I get lots of little plants that I...
    I was going to say - Astilbes like moist conditions so I'd be wary of using them, but @fairygirl has beaten me to it!I started with 6 foxglove plants that I bought. I let some go to seed then I...
    40F178D8-7A4C-4E10-9AB4-EF452F23FCFE.jpeg BC439491-C7A3-4E41-A4F4-6EC0FA7DFEC7.jpeg DSC01165.jpeg DSC01139.jpeg 20240516_162314.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Newbie1979

Lots of lettuce seedlings...

It can also depend on the variety of lettuce as to how well they do against slugs, and how much sun they tolerate. I grow all of mine in containers because I don't have room for a dedicated veg....
    It can also depend on the variety of lettuce as to how well they do against slugs, and how much sun they tolerate. I grow all of mine in containers because I don't have room for a dedicated veg. patch, and don't want to remove ornamental areas in order to have one as it wouldn't be worth it. Re...
    It can also depend on the variety of lettuce as to how well they do against slugs, and how much sun they tolerate. I grow all of mine in containers because I don't have room for a dedicated veg. patch, and don't want to remove ornamental areas...
    It can also depend on the variety of lettuce as to how well they do against slugs, and how much sun they tolerate. I grow all of mine in containers because I don't have room for a dedicated veg....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. BB3

Acer from seed

I agree, the ones I've grown from seed have all been very slow to begin with but then suddenly explode with growth. I don't think that's too shabby for a 3 year old seedling.
    I agree, the ones I've grown from seed have all been very slow to begin with but then suddenly explode with growth. I don't think that's too shabby for a 3 year old seedling.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Skylark001
    Like x 3

Pics of rare, deformed, foxglove stem!

Thanks to everyone for your comments.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. John56

Weeds appearing on faux grass. Arrgh!

Have you seen me recently @Tidemark ? :heehee:I never wear it at all now. Can't be bothered.
    Have you seen me recently @Tidemark ? :heehee:I never wear it at all now. Can't be bothered.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Pink678

What's the best way to get oxalis out from between patio stones? I'm ripping up my gloves and nails

I never see it round here. If people have it, it must be quite well behaved. Never had it in any garden of my own either.
    I never see it round here. If people have it, it must be quite well behaved. Never had it in any garden of my own either.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. DaveyB

Would it be okay to plant solanum glasnevin with a dog?

Mine was in a similar situation. It will definitely be better in the ground and will soon get going.
    Mine was in a similar situation. It will definitely be better in the ground and will soon get going.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. BB3

I've had it with hostas

A present for the slugs too then:redface:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Andrew Kennedy

Rambling rose - fame work?

I thought Shepherd's huts were supposed to be movable, so you could follow the sheep around. How many Shepherds share the hut?
    I thought Shepherd's huts were supposed to be movable, so you could follow the sheep around. How many Shepherds share the hut?
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. cucumber

Campanula and snails

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Bear1

A weed growing throught new tarmac

I think little plants (aka weeds :)) are quite common at the edge of tarmac. I certainly have them.
    I think little plants (aka weeds :)) are quite common at the edge of tarmac. I certainly have them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. MrHappyDays

Getting rid of bamboo roots

Hi @groundbeetle I think that's SBK brushwood killer - the active ingredient is triclopyr. It's pretty good but as you say, needs to get to the "growing bits". For Japanese knotweed, I cut off...
    Hi @groundbeetle I think that's SBK brushwood killer - the active ingredient is triclopyr. It's pretty good but as you say, needs to get to the "growing bits". For Japanese knotweed, I cut off stems and inject into hollow centre. That might be possible with bamboo too.
    Hi @groundbeetle I think that's SBK brushwood killer - the active ingredient is triclopyr. It's pretty good but as you say, needs to get to the "growing bits". For Japanese knotweed, I cut off stems and inject into hollow centre. That might be...
    Hi @groundbeetle I think that's SBK brushwood killer - the active ingredient is triclopyr. It's pretty good but as you say, needs to get to the "growing bits". For Japanese knotweed, I cut off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. DaveyB

Advice on how to train rose

I’ve run out of pergolas @Mrs Hillard. I’d need to buy a bigger house for that I think…
    I’ve run out of pergolas @Mrs Hillard. I’d need to buy a bigger house for that I think…
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. BB3

Summer Scents

But they produce magnificent flowers and the colour is superb. Just don't get near them for the smell.
    But they produce magnificent flowers and the colour is superb. Just don't get near them for the smell.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. BB3

Are there different varieties of black spot?

Oh well. It seems I have quite a selection:noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice