1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. BenCotto
    Friendly x 13

Tulips, and the story behind them

Our thoughts are with you both @BenCotto and our kindest wishes for your future together … however long it may be. xx
    Our thoughts are with you both @BenCotto and our kindest wishes for your future together … however long it may be. xx
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Michael Hewett

Daphne

Thank you. I won't disturb the roots then, just tip it out of the pot and straight into a prepared hole in the ground. My soil is deep so it should be fine.
    Thank you. I won't disturb the roots then, just tip it out of the pot and straight into a prepared hole in the ground. My soil is deep so it should be fine.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Gilla.Walmsley

Geum recommendations

I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Punkdoc
    Agree x 14

Location, location location

Love the Buachaille, @fairygirl, it was my first proper winter route.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Greenfield81

Front garden design and size - thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Emerion

Last frost dates near Guildford - this can’t be right can it?

Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw.,...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw., Worc. and pass Cirencester, it's often sunny. As soon as we leave Thames valley and go up the...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw., Worc. and pass Cirencester, it's often sunny. As...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw.,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. caitlin lodge

Leylandii chippings

The bottom half of my raised vegetable bed was leylandii chippings - no problem at all.
    The bottom half of my raised vegetable bed was leylandii chippings - no problem at all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Angie Jones (nut)

Tulipa sprengeri

Thanks pd, I think I'll go with that
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. glosmike
    Informative x 8

Warning for new gardeners …..

That's the method I use Tinkerton:thumbsup: I very rarely wear gloves.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. RicMetty

Flowering Perennials for partial shade/ morning sun

Geranium macrorrhizums should be happy there too. Might be taller than you want but Eurybia divaricata aka wood aster would also do well
    Geranium macrorrhizums should be happy there too. Might be taller than you want but Eurybia divaricata aka wood aster would also do well
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Erigeron

Anyone lost anything surprising this winter?

Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still...
    Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still attached until I cut them down the other day) but the others, no sign. Sod's law the surviving one...
    Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still attached until I cut them down the other day) but...
    Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. BB3

Doing more harm than good

I've just taken delivery of a 20 metre roll of copper tape to put round my pots. That, combined with a garlic spray, has certainly helped in the past.
    I've just taken delivery of a 20 metre roll of copper tape to put round my pots. That, combined with a garlic spray, has certainly helped in the past.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Bouba

Advice please newbie...Evergreen hedging/plants for screening

the hedge should be huge by now
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Webmaster
    Like x 8

Thank You for your Donations ....

I have just donated as well. Thank you for the kind welcome we've all received this last week.
    I have just donated as well. Thank you for the kind welcome we've all received this last week.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TheMadHedger

Hedging plants that love shade, preferably that grow fast and maybe even flowering?

I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Spruce

Geranium Rozanne but which other varieties are as good or better ?

I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which...
    I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which helps keep it upright.I prefer Johnson's Blue to Rozanne, to be honest. Rozanne is another...
    I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which helps keep it upright.I prefer Johnson's Blue...
    I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. fumanchu

Best compost mix for alpines?

I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the main roots and would cause rotting over the winter with holding too much water .... and the plants...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the main roots and would cause rotting over the winter...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. puschkinia

Acer palmatum - branch dieback

I'll do that. What a relief, it's such a beautiful tree. Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. thriftybri

sea holly wilt

Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good...
    Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good drainage and are very drought tolerant because of their deep fleshy taproot. I would follow the...
    Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good drainage and are very drought tolerant because of...
    Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Erigeron

Landscaping fabric for paths - good idea or not?

I hate weed membrane, the slightest disturbance and you cannot get it back down again. Cardboard covered in wood chip is my suggestion. renew every few years
    I hate weed membrane, the slightest disturbance and you cannot get it back down again. Cardboard covered in wood chip is my suggestion. renew every few years
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice