General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Goldenlily26

Bracken

When I was prepping the fruit cage area I used to dig up small balls of pure white clay, left over from the clay mining nearby. The soil is miserable, no nutrients, gritty and either sodden or...
    When I was prepping the fruit cage area I used to dig up small balls of pure white clay, left over from the clay mining nearby. The soil is miserable, no nutrients, gritty and either sodden or dusty. I have tried top dressing and mulching but the blueberries do not thrive, whereas the...
    When I was prepping the fruit cage area I used to dig up small balls of pure white clay, left over from the clay mining nearby. The soil is miserable, no nutrients, gritty and either sodden or dusty. I have tried top dressing and mulching but the...
    When I was prepping the fruit cage area I used to dig up small balls of pure white clay, left over from the clay mining nearby. The soil is miserable, no nutrients, gritty and either sodden or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. David F

Crazy growing cistus

Okay, I’ll try that, thanks. I like the way it’s exploded with flowers. Absolutely brillliant. So I’ll see if I can grow some more.
    Okay, I’ll try that, thanks. I like the way it’s exploded with flowers. Absolutely brillliant. So I’ll see if I can grow some more.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. BB3

Had anyone been bitten yet?

I was digging out a new section next to the stream yesterday and got a horsefly bite on the elbow. Strangely, my ponies were just the other side of the stream and weren't troubled!
    I was digging out a new section next to the stream yesterday and got a horsefly bite on the elbow. Strangely, my ponies were just the other side of the stream and weren't troubled!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. DaveyB

Advice on what to plant in chimney pot

Sorry, my memory is shocking atm, it's a Nasturtium Alaska Variegated
    IMG_20240511_144040.jpg IMG_20240608_161558.jpg IMG_20240608_200016.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. DaveyB

Black bamboo ok?

It seems to be doing well upped the watering and it's looking good for now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. TheMadHedger

Cow Parsley/Parsnip sap burns?

When I pick the pods from peabeans I have to wear long sleeves and gloves otherwise I have rashes on my hands and arms. Dwarf French beans can also be an issue but not so bad.
    When I pick the pods from peabeans I have to wear long sleeves and gloves otherwise I have rashes on my hands and arms. Dwarf French beans can also be an issue but not so bad.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. RowlandsCastle

Using old boiler flue in the garden

I put a 4 feet length of plastic pipe upright in our Alpine House and planted a Baby Sun Rose at the top. It's almost reached the bottom already. Eventually you won't see the pipe, only a column...
    I put a 4 feet length of plastic pipe upright in our Alpine House and planted a Baby Sun Rose at the top. It's almost reached the bottom already. Eventually you won't see the pipe, only a column of green foliage and red flowers.
    I put a 4 feet length of plastic pipe upright in our Alpine House and planted a Baby Sun Rose at the top. It's almost reached the bottom already. Eventually you won't see the pipe, only a column of green foliage and red flowers.
    I put a 4 feet length of plastic pipe upright in our Alpine House and planted a Baby Sun Rose at the top. It's almost reached the bottom already. Eventually you won't see the pipe, only a column...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. CarolineL

Tetrapanax papyrifer -Rex?

Yes disturbing the roots causes suckering as well as heavy pruning after a serous winter kicking :)Both mine have suckered, also the ones my aunt had from Crug also produced pups.Yours looks...
    Yes disturbing the roots causes suckering as well as heavy pruning after a serous winter kicking :)Both mine have suckered, also the ones my aunt had from Crug also produced pups.Yours looks mega Pete :)Mine I planted about 20 years ago.
    Yes disturbing the roots causes suckering as well as heavy pruning after a serous winter kicking :)Both mine have suckered, also the ones my aunt had from Crug also produced pups.Yours looks mega Pete :)Mine I planted about 20 years ago.
    Yes disturbing the roots causes suckering as well as heavy pruning after a serous winter kicking :)Both mine have suckered, also the ones my aunt had from Crug also produced pups.Yours looks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. zizi

Would you prune these petunias?

Its not clear from the photos but could you hang them on longer chains? hence getting them down more to eye level.
    Its not clear from the photos but could you hang them on longer chains? hence getting them down more to eye level.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Pink678

Bush with yellow flowers - does anyone know the name?

Or indeed any of the Corydalis species like C,. solida. If anyone does have Corydalis that sets seed, it is best sown fresh and possibly slightly under ripe.
    Or indeed any of the Corydalis species like C,. solida. If anyone does have Corydalis that sets seed, it is best sown fresh and possibly slightly under ripe.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Pink678
    Like x 4

Got gifted some foxgloves by the birds I think! How should I look after them?

Thanks Busy-Lizzie! I might try cutting a few stalks off like that, and let some other stalks seed. I'm new to gardening so all tips are much appreciated :biggrin:
    Thanks Busy-Lizzie! I might try cutting a few stalks off like that, and let some other stalks seed. I'm new to gardening so all tips are much appreciated :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. MrHappyDays

What am I doing wrong ?

I keep my cuttings shady for the first week then gradually introduce more and more light. Direct sunlight is difficult to control, it can bake a cutting in a plastic bag within minutes.
    I keep my cuttings shady for the first week then gradually introduce more and more light. Direct sunlight is difficult to control, it can bake a cutting in a plastic bag within minutes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ALanF

Persicaria 'red dragon' advice please!

I cut mine back from time to time when the stems get badly floppy and it grows back in no time, so I think yours will too. I also root cuttings in water - they're very quick and easy, and when...
    I cut mine back from time to time when the stems get badly floppy and it grows back in no time, so I think yours will too. I also root cuttings in water - they're very quick and easy, and when they've made roots I plant several to a lite or so pot to grow on for a while before planting out as a...
    I cut mine back from time to time when the stems get badly floppy and it grows back in no time, so I think yours will too. I also root cuttings in water - they're very quick and easy, and when they've made roots I plant several to a lite or so...
    I cut mine back from time to time when the stems get badly floppy and it grows back in no time, so I think yours will too. I also root cuttings in water - they're very quick and easy, and when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Andy Franklin

Red Robin Trees

It looks like quite a sheltered sit, so you may not need to go mad with the staking, but I'd still remove the canes, and put an angled one in for the reasons @Pete8 has given, ie the rubbing etc....
    It looks like quite a sheltered sit, so you may not need to go mad with the staking, but I'd still remove the canes, and put an angled one in for the reasons @Pete8 has given, ie the rubbing etc. I'd also make that border much wider - lots of planting in there all competing for nutrients and...
    It looks like quite a sheltered sit, so you may not need to go mad with the staking, but I'd still remove the canes, and put an angled one in for the reasons @Pete8 has given, ie the rubbing etc. I'd also make that border much wider - lots of...
    It looks like quite a sheltered sit, so you may not need to go mad with the staking, but I'd still remove the canes, and put an angled one in for the reasons @Pete8 has given, ie the rubbing etc....
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. BB3

OK you bar stewards, you win but I'll be back - maybe

Thanks @ViewAhead . I'm sure you're right. I'll leave it in peace.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. BenCotto

Patio Black Spot Remover

Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as...
    Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as well just pressure wash.
    Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as well just pressure wash.
    Wet and forget appears to be a moss and lichen killer. It kills it but you are reliant on the weather and foot traffic actually remove it as far as I can tell, I won't be buying any more might as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. bluegeranium

Have I put too many bedding plants in container ?

As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will...
    As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will be trying hard to grow, and there may be very little compost left in the troughs - it'll be full of...
    As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will be trying hard to grow, and there may be very...
    As @BenCotto says, at least you can see the colours and can decide how you want to put them, if you move any. I think you might have to do that because over the next month or so, the plants will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Mattyp

Growing zinnia from seed-potting out

Sounds good, hoping to put mine out this weekend. I noticed monty Don had some on gardeners world last night and they looked quite leggy to me too. Mine look a bit squat if anything!
    Sounds good, hoping to put mine out this weekend. I noticed monty Don had some on gardeners world last night and they looked quite leggy to me too. Mine look a bit squat if anything!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Meomye

Photinia Red Robin (looking unwell)

There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This...
    There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This article may give some clues though- How to Grow Photinia | BBC Gardeners World Magazine.
    There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This article may give some clues though- How to Grow Photinia...
    There's a good chance you'll get some more replies if you could provide some photos. One of the whole tree showing where it is in your garden and a close-up of the problematic leaves.This...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Mattyp

Plants bought in 9cm pots-pot on or plant out?

Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants...
    Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants battered by wind and endless rain may be less able to repel an invasion of munchers.
    Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants battered by wind and endless rain may be less able to...
    Everything seems to be on the "favoured dinner menu" this yr. :) I suspect there has been such a population explosion, they are turning to things they would not normally touch. Plus, plants...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice