1. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE 2 MINUTE SILENCE
    IN MEMORY OF ARMANDII

Armandii's chosen charity was Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) - donations in his memory are welcomed, paid directly to the charity. Please ask a member of Admin for further information.

Dismiss Notice
We have a very sad announcement to make - please see the thread in the link below:

Please Click Here

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. ricky101

Liming and Fertilizing ?

Lime takes quite a while to be washed down into the soil. Thats the reason I do it in Autumn. That way, I can be sure its done its job. I'm sure other members could answer your question regarding...
    Lime takes quite a while to be washed down into the soil. Thats the reason I do it in Autumn. That way, I can be sure its done its job. I'm sure other members could answer your question regarding Spring liming better than I can, as they are more used to the UK climate than I am now.
    Lime takes quite a while to be washed down into the soil. Thats the reason I do it in Autumn. That way, I can be sure its done its job. I'm sure other members could answer your question regarding Spring liming better than I can, as they are more...
    Lime takes quite a while to be washed down into the soil. Thats the reason I do it in Autumn. That way, I can be sure its done its job. I'm sure other members could answer your question regarding...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. AdrianBg

Growing a climber up a tall(ish) tree

That's more or less what I'll do Black Dog, as I wouldn't intend to replace the tree in that position. I did a similar thing with a spruce I had removed in another part of the garden (it was...
    That's more or less what I'll do Black Dog, as I wouldn't intend to replace the tree in that position. I did a similar thing with a spruce I had removed in another part of the garden (it was straggly and competing squeezed between a big eucalyptus and a mature chestnut). I left a 3-metre high...
    That's more or less what I'll do Black Dog, as I wouldn't intend to replace the tree in that position. I did a similar thing with a spruce I had removed in another part of the garden (it was straggly and competing squeezed between a big...
    That's more or less what I'll do Black Dog, as I wouldn't intend to replace the tree in that position. I did a similar thing with a spruce I had removed in another part of the garden (it was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Black Dog

Growing Passionfruit

Is it particularly wet where you intend planting? If just heavy soil you can add grit to make it less sticky.
    Is it particularly wet where you intend planting? If just heavy soil you can add grit to make it less sticky.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. HarryS

When to Plant Bulbs?

I regard myself as a well informed and knowledgeable person when it comes to the great outdoors(garden). I have to admit I've learned something today with this botrytis tulipae as I'd neve heard...
    I regard myself as a well informed and knowledgeable person when it comes to the great outdoors(garden). I have to admit I've learned something today with this botrytis tulipae as I'd neve heard of it!! Maybe here on the Sussex chalk, we're immune from curly brown tulips, but I could give you a...
    I regard myself as a well informed and knowledgeable person when it comes to the great outdoors(garden). I have to admit I've learned something today with this botrytis tulipae as I'd neve heard of it!! Maybe here on the Sussex chalk, we're...
    I regard myself as a well informed and knowledgeable person when it comes to the great outdoors(garden). I have to admit I've learned something today with this botrytis tulipae as I'd neve heard...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Karen2226

Cutting back hardy geraniums help please

Now is a good time to dig up a trowell sized piece of those geraniums and make new plants if you need them... we usually have to dig up and bin lots as some become too speading.
    Now is a good time to dig up a trowell sized piece of those geraniums and make new plants if you need them... we usually have to dig up and bin lots as some become too speading.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Pruning dead looking fushia and fox urine

You can do either, leave them uncut or a very light tidy up will help protect things lower down and if they survive and make buds all down the stems they will make bigger bushes sooner.The more...
    You can do either, leave them uncut or a very light tidy up will help protect things lower down and if they survive and make buds all down the stems they will make bigger bushes sooner.The more you cut them back the more they will shoot from the base or underground and take a bit longer to...
    You can do either, leave them uncut or a very light tidy up will help protect things lower down and if they survive and make buds all down the stems they will make bigger bushes sooner.The more you cut them back the more they will shoot from...
    You can do either, leave them uncut or a very light tidy up will help protect things lower down and if they survive and make buds all down the stems they will make bigger bushes sooner.The more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Stephen2021

Water butts

@pete It's one of the environmentally friendly ones with no phosphates and surfactants that are less resistant to degrading in the environment. Yes it should work as a wetting agent for dried out...
    @pete It's one of the environmentally friendly ones with no phosphates and surfactants that are less resistant to degrading in the environment. Yes it should work as a wetting agent for dried out composts. A small amount of olive oil or any cooking oil can be used instead of WD40 to deal with...
    @pete It's one of the environmentally friendly ones with no phosphates and surfactants that are less resistant to degrading in the environment. Yes it should work as a wetting agent for dried out composts. A small amount of olive oil or any...
    @pete It's one of the environmentally friendly ones with no phosphates and surfactants that are less resistant to degrading in the environment. Yes it should work as a wetting agent for dried out...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sheryll

Advice re positioning/care of tree peony

I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good...
    I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good root run.
    I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good root run.
    I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Spruce

Garden Kneeler which one would you have and why ....

Oh botherations!!!......that was next on my list for my dodgy knee Pete.Oh well back to my very strenuous exercise regime I suppose.
    Oh botherations!!!......that was next on my list for my dodgy knee Pete.Oh well back to my very strenuous exercise regime I suppose.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. shiney

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN FEBRUARY 2021

Thanks @Upsydaisy . You can tell I've only had 1 coffee so far this morning :rolleyespink:
    Thanks @Upsydaisy . You can tell I've only had 1 coffee so far this morning :rolleyespink:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. fumanchu

Hydrangea

Luis I've recently moved down from my hills, am now down at 800ft asl and my new neighbour says hydrangea does well here. Weather a lot softer here, we've only had a few inches of snow whereas my...
    Luis I've recently moved down from my hills, am now down at 800ft asl and my new neighbour says hydrangea does well here. Weather a lot softer here, we've only had a few inches of snow whereas my old house had 4ft drifts :biggrin: I could put it in the garden round the back, but I've got a patio/paved...
    Luis I've recently moved down from my hills, am now down at 800ft asl and my new neighbour says hydrangea does well here. Weather a lot softer here, we've only had a few inches of snow whereas my old house had 4ft drifts :biggrin: I could put it in the...
    Luis I've recently moved down from my hills, am now down at 800ft asl and my new neighbour says hydrangea does well here. Weather a lot softer here, we've only had a few inches of snow whereas my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Fat Controller

Plug plants - is there anyone any good?

Never had problems with couriers always in good condition.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Cordy

How to prune Euphorbia ?

I presume they are just coming up to flowering now, so I wouldn't prune now. But after flowering I would think you could cut the stems down. But leave any new growth coming from the base of the...
    I presume they are just coming up to flowering now, so I wouldn't prune now. But after flowering I would think you could cut the stems down. But leave any new growth coming from the base of the plant.
    I presume they are just coming up to flowering now, so I wouldn't prune now. But after flowering I would think you could cut the stems down. But leave any new growth coming from the base of the plant.
    I presume they are just coming up to flowering now, so I wouldn't prune now. But after flowering I would think you could cut the stems down. But leave any new growth coming from the base of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. mazambo

Pansy, viola, where am I going wrong?

@mazamboYou mean you're going to change it to The Really Total Gardener", mazambo?:scratch::dunno::heehee: All that is happening you're like the rest of us Gardeners....we're learning all the time!!
    @mazamboYou mean you're going to change it to The Really Total Gardener", mazambo?:scratch::dunno::heehee: All that is happening you're like the rest of us Gardeners....we're learning all the time!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sheryll

contaminated sprayer!

"His" and "Hers" sprayers, what will they think of next.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. trogre

Strawberries.. Seed Compost... A. Marigolds.

Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is...
    Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is too small to be damaged by the haircut. Once this was done it opened up space & light to the new...
    Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is too small to be damaged by the haircut. Once this...
    Hi ricky101. Thank you for your advice and sorry I have not got back to you sooner'. I have chopped strawberries across the tops and this does seem to be the best way forward. The new growth is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. NigelJ
    Like x 4

Mild Winter/Early Spring

Had a good look round over the past day or so and my young rhubarb leaves are fine. The recent cold snap was not as cold as the cold snap in 2018, back then Salvia guaranitica and S involuctra...
    Had a good look round over the past day or so and my young rhubarb leaves are fine. The recent cold snap was not as cold as the cold snap in 2018, back then Salvia guaranitica and S involuctra were cut back to ground level and the Zanthophylum was defoliated; this time all three still have...
    Had a good look round over the past day or so and my young rhubarb leaves are fine. The recent cold snap was not as cold as the cold snap in 2018, back then Salvia guaranitica and S involuctra were cut back to ground level and the Zanthophylum ...
    Had a good look round over the past day or so and my young rhubarb leaves are fine. The recent cold snap was not as cold as the cold snap in 2018, back then Salvia guaranitica and S involuctra...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Aldo
    Informative x 5

Gardening books and magazines at the Internet Archive

Hi Mike, I love books too, but they do take up a considerable amount of space. Then, our house is very tiny and crammed. So nowadays I buy way less books than I used to. Actually, I often found...
    Hi Mike, I love books too, but they do take up a considerable amount of space. Then, our house is very tiny and crammed. So nowadays I buy way less books than I used to. Actually, I often found myself buying in print books which I first read digitally and liked. I think it is fair to the...
    Hi Mike, I love books too, but they do take up a considerable amount of space. Then, our house is very tiny and crammed. So nowadays I buy way less books than I used to. Actually, I often found myself buying in print books which I first read...
    Hi Mike, I love books too, but they do take up a considerable amount of space. Then, our house is very tiny and crammed. So nowadays I buy way less books than I used to. Actually, I often found...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 5

Creating winter interest.

It's been over 3 years since I started this thread. The plants in this section are still fairly small but they are coming together nicely.I wanted this section to look good from the house on a...
    It's been over 3 years since I started this thread. The plants in this section are still fairly small but they are coming together nicely.I wanted this section to look good from the house on a winter's day when it's too cold to go outside. I would like to think that I have achieved what I...
    It's been over 3 years since I started this thread. The plants in this section are still fairly small but they are coming together nicely.I wanted this section to look good from the house on a winter's day when it's too cold to go outside. I...
    It's been over 3 years since I started this thread. The plants in this section are still fairly small but they are coming together nicely.I wanted this section to look good from the house on a...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg 1537708_10205094801393518_8041944611099822157_o.jpg 200_s.gif 20171027_140341.jpg tree garden mock up 2017.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Ed Cummins

Advice for damaged lawn!!

You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using...
    You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using just sand may cause a sump. Never use a roller on a clay base soil as flounders has mentioned ....
    You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using just sand may cause a sump. Never use a roller on...
    You'll need to get the fork into each hole and try and lift them the best you can, it need doing quite quick after the accident for it to work the best. I'd top up the holes with top soil , using...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice