General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Sienna's Blossom
    Like x 5

Our Spring Garden

Thanks @Verdun , it's coming along nicely. Interested to see what comes up over the summer, as we planted lots of new summer flowering plants last year to try and keep the colour going throughout...
    Thanks @Verdun , it's coming along nicely. Interested to see what comes up over the summer, as we planted lots of new summer flowering plants last year to try and keep the colour going throughout the year.
    Thanks @Verdun , it's coming along nicely. Interested to see what comes up over the summer, as we planted lots of new summer flowering plants last year to try and keep the colour going throughout the year.
    Thanks @Verdun , it's coming along nicely. Interested to see what comes up over the summer, as we planted lots of new summer flowering plants last year to try and keep the colour going throughout...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. AndyS

Soil Testing Kit - Water advice

I'm just going to repost this! You have the pH test kit already so miss out the soil and you'll know the pH of your water and then account for it in the soil test
    I'm just going to repost this! You have the pH test kit already so miss out the soil and you'll know the pH of your water and then account for it in the soil test
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. AndyS

Heuchera & Physalis - dead?

Yes they are notorious for attacking Heucheras, all the ones I have ever had in pots have been ' got at '. I have been lucky though and have caught them before they died, after soaking and washing...
    Yes they are notorious for attacking Heucheras, all the ones I have ever had in pots have been ' got at '. I have been lucky though and have caught them before they died, after soaking and washing the roots well I then planted them directly into the borders and since then I have not had anymore...
    Yes they are notorious for attacking Heucheras, all the ones I have ever had in pots have been ' got at '. I have been lucky though and have caught them before they died, after soaking and washing the roots well I then planted them directly into...
    Yes they are notorious for attacking Heucheras, all the ones I have ever had in pots have been ' got at '. I have been lucky though and have caught them before they died, after soaking and washing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. stuartp22

Berberis - Will it survive?

OK thanks. Soil isn't great round here. Will see what I can find at the garden centre. Hopefully will be able to update this with a picture of a growing new bush before too long :)
    OK thanks. Soil isn't great round here. Will see what I can find at the garden centre. Hopefully will be able to update this with a picture of a growing new bush before too long :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Selleri
    Funny x 4

Keeping garden and the house clean... how do you manage?

I wear Crocs for 95% of gardening jobs, so these are just kicked off before entering the house. For the plants I start indoors before going out to the GH, I just work tidy. And make sure any...
    I wear Crocs for 95% of gardening jobs, so these are just kicked off before entering the house. For the plants I start indoors before going out to the GH, I just work tidy. And make sure any spillage is cleaned up before I incur the wrath of Mrs H.
    I wear Crocs for 95% of gardening jobs, so these are just kicked off before entering the house. For the plants I start indoors before going out to the GH, I just work tidy. And make sure any spillage is cleaned up before I incur the wrath of Mrs H.
    I wear Crocs for 95% of gardening jobs, so these are just kicked off before entering the house. For the plants I start indoors before going out to the GH, I just work tidy. And make sure any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Steve R

Plant prices?

One of the allotments round here have an open day each year where visitors can look around and chat to the holders. They also have a large plant stall and raise a reasonable amount of money to...
    One of the allotments round here have an open day each year where visitors can look around and chat to the holders. They also have a large plant stall and raise a reasonable amount of money to help fund things needed by all the holders. They had one standpipe for water and were able to fund...
    One of the allotments round here have an open day each year where visitors can look around and chat to the holders. They also have a large plant stall and raise a reasonable amount of money to help fund things needed by all the holders. They...
    One of the allotments round here have an open day each year where visitors can look around and chat to the holders. They also have a large plant stall and raise a reasonable amount of money to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. SimonZ

Perovskia "Blue Spire."

Hiya SimonZ Yes you can right down to the ground now. This helps make for more sturdy growth disinclined to flop. I would cut all growth back to the ground but if you prefer to you can prune to...
    Hiya SimonZ Yes you can right down to the ground now. This helps make for more sturdy growth disinclined to flop. I would cut all growth back to the ground but if you prefer to you can prune to where the new shoots appear. It will still grow and flower whatever you do :)
    Hiya SimonZ Yes you can right down to the ground now. This helps make for more sturdy growth disinclined to flop. I would cut all growth back to the ground but if you prefer to you can prune to where the new shoots appear. It will still grow...
    Hiya SimonZ Yes you can right down to the ground now. This helps make for more sturdy growth disinclined to flop. I would cut all growth back to the ground but if you prefer to you can prune to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jack Sparrow

Two climbers needed

What's the down on Justa and Multi Blue?G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. mazambo

Physalis alkekengi

Thanks @CarolineL, I've read it's invasive, so hoping I can keep it in pots and still get the best out of it, to be honest if it can be neglected as much as i did then it shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks @CarolineL, I've read it's invasive, so hoping I can keep it in pots and still get the best out of it, to be honest if it can be neglected as much as i did then it shouldn't be a problem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lucy Williams

Why Can't I keep Lavender?

I can't even go near Lavender, it gives me headaches and makes me feel sick.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. kriss

Wonky seedlings

Let them be Kriss for now...except keep one seedling per pot :) They will grow well if you don’t overwater....keep on dry side.....and grow in a bright place.
    Let them be Kriss for now...except keep one seedling per pot :) They will grow well if you don’t overwater....keep on dry side.....and grow in a bright place.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. mazambo

Begonia question

They look fine Mazambo. Like Verdun I only grow the trailing and small bell flower types. Keep them lightly watered at first, they can suffer from stem rot. And only put them out when May warms up.
    They look fine Mazambo. Like Verdun I only grow the trailing and small bell flower types. Keep them lightly watered at first, they can suffer from stem rot. And only put them out when May warms up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NigelJ
    Like x 11

What's Looking Good In March 2019

Aww. Well the ones I've got are currently on display (I thought they'd make a lovely feature in our living room) but from now on I will save any that he leaves behind especially for Mrs Shiney. ...
    Aww. Well the ones I've got are currently on display (I thought they'd make a lovely feature in our living room) but from now on I will save any that he leaves behind especially for Mrs Shiney. He usually starts losing them around the end of the summer :)
    Aww. Well the ones I've got are currently on display (I thought they'd make a lovely feature in our living room) but from now on I will save any that he leaves behind especially for Mrs Shiney. He usually starts losing them around the end of...
    Aww. Well the ones I've got are currently on display (I thought they'd make a lovely feature in our living room) but from now on I will save any that he leaves behind especially for Mrs Shiney. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Redwing

Is it too early to plant out California poppies?

Self seeders here too.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. kriss

Sowing above Bulbs?

1 in each corner and one in the middle after quality not quantity
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. wiseowl

Tree Fern

we will need a photo .... I knew you would , I hope Mrs Woo likes her new nest !Spruce
    we will need a photo .... I knew you would , I hope Mrs Woo likes her new nest !Spruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Snorky85

Weigela - shaping it

Thanks Verdun. That’s exactly what I wanted to do-thanks for confirming. Yes-it’s getting planted in the garden but didnt want to plant it over winter so will get t in the ground asap :)
    Thanks Verdun. That’s exactly what I wanted to do-thanks for confirming. Yes-it’s getting planted in the garden but didnt want to plant it over winter so will get t in the ground asap :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Doghouse Riley

Rabbit Shed Renovation

This is the Rabbit ShedI built it out of reclaimed "3X 2", roofing ply and three wooden framed windows, for our eight year old daughter's increasing collection of rabbits and guinea...
    This is the Rabbit ShedI built it out of reclaimed "3X 2", roofing ply and three wooden framed windows, for our eight year old daughter's increasing collection of rabbits and guinea pigs. These have long gone and our daughter now fifty-one years-old, moved out decades ago and has her...
    This is the Rabbit ShedI built it out of reclaimed "3X 2", roofing ply and three wooden framed windows, for our eight year old daughter's increasing collection of rabbits and guinea pigs. These have long gone and our daughter now...
    This is the Rabbit ShedI built it out of reclaimed "3X 2", roofing ply and three wooden framed windows, for our eight year old daughter's increasing collection of rabbits and guinea...
    P1020428.JPG P1020430.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Fatsia Japonica Cut Back ?

Thanks Verdun and Pete :blue thumb: So I will cut back each stem to above a leaf node, and now is the time to do it. That's a job for tomorrow.
    Thanks Verdun and Pete :blue thumb: So I will cut back each stem to above a leaf node, and now is the time to do it. That's a job for tomorrow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. joh98.mac

[sunflowers] It's Alive!

A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big...
    A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big pots.How naive I was! In the period from 1st March to 19th March, we had two days without...
    A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big pots.How naive I was! In the period from 1st...
    A month ago, thinking that the temperature was getting a bit less insane (is it just me, or does winter become harsher, the older you get??), I planted about a dozen sunflower seeds outside in big...
    upload_2019-3-27_11-52-9.jpeg upload_2019-3-27_11-55-45.png
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice