General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. clanless

Skipping along today

I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill...
    I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill level" or not much more, but i have seen skips made 2ft higher by doors around the edge and still be...
    I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill level" or not much more, but i have seen skips...
    I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. trogre

Weather Station

Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember...
    Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember the met office were spending about £60 million on a new computer which would make weather forecasts...
    Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember the met office were spending about £60 million on...
    Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. NigelJ

Amaryllis belladonna not flowering

Mine bloom every year in a shaded (by Jacaranda and Melaleuca) dry rockery in clay earth. Have had them for 14 or more years.
    Mine bloom every year in a shaded (by Jacaranda and Melaleuca) dry rockery in clay earth. Have had them for 14 or more years.
    Belladona Lily.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Bobster64
    Friendly x 5

Planting for a north facing cremation plot

@Tetters I have Rebecca and Limpsfield but would like a Jaqueline Postel too. Love the scents.
    @Tetters I have Rebecca and Limpsfield but would like a Jaqueline Postel too. Love the scents.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SimonZ

What to do for this sedum? (yellowing leaves)

I have the same Sedum Simon and leave mine to die back fully. In early Spring you should be able to pull the old stems away gently and will see the new ones already budding underneath.
    I have the same Sedum Simon and leave mine to die back fully. In early Spring you should be able to pull the old stems away gently and will see the new ones already budding underneath.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sheal
    Like x 3

The effects of garden lighting?

That is almost total coverage on the eastern half! Knowing what States lie underneath those lights that have green open areas, I would say much of that light pollution is unnecessary.
    That is almost total coverage on the eastern half! Knowing what States lie underneath those lights that have green open areas, I would say much of that light pollution is unnecessary.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. HarryS

Brookside Nursery 15% Discount

Thanks for the tip off Harry, I will look to see what I need. Right now nearly all my cuttings are doing OK but I wonder if they will survive the winter so might order some from Brookside as...
    Thanks for the tip off Harry, I will look to see what I need. Right now nearly all my cuttings are doing OK but I wonder if they will survive the winter so might order some from Brookside as insurance.
    Thanks for the tip off Harry, I will look to see what I need. Right now nearly all my cuttings are doing OK but I wonder if they will survive the winter so might order some from Brookside as insurance.
    Thanks for the tip off Harry, I will look to see what I need. Right now nearly all my cuttings are doing OK but I wonder if they will survive the winter so might order some from Brookside as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Clare G

your tips for encouraging violas to keep flowering over the winter?

I do like Violas Clare, I bought a tray or two last spring for our caravan. They flowered very well all early summer. In late summer I noted a lot of growth in the limestone gravel under the...
    I do like Violas Clare, I bought a tray or two last spring for our caravan. They flowered very well all early summer. In late summer I noted a lot of growth in the limestone gravel under the planters.... they had self seeded in the hottest and driest summer for years !
    I do like Violas Clare, I bought a tray or two last spring for our caravan. They flowered very well all early summer. In late summer I noted a lot of growth in the limestone gravel under the planters.... they had self seeded in the hottest and...
    I do like Violas Clare, I bought a tray or two last spring for our caravan. They flowered very well all early summer. In late summer I noted a lot of growth in the limestone gravel under the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Mike Allen
    Like x 5

Now here's a challenge. What kind of gardener are YOU?

Up until a year or so ago gardening was a chore for me. I tended to do the lifting and shifting jobs. Now that I have a bit more free time Ive started to enjoy my time gardening.Plant...
    Up until a year or so ago gardening was a chore for me. I tended to do the lifting and shifting jobs. Now that I have a bit more free time Ive started to enjoy my time gardening.Plant preference is tropical / tropical feel and arid. We have a tropical area, a med. area and now planting an...
    Up until a year or so ago gardening was a chore for me. I tended to do the lifting and shifting jobs. Now that I have a bit more free time Ive started to enjoy my time gardening.Plant preference is tropical / tropical feel and arid. We have...
    Up until a year or so ago gardening was a chore for me. I tended to do the lifting and shifting jobs. Now that I have a bit more free time Ive started to enjoy my time gardening.Plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Snorky85

Do these need to go in the greenhouse over winter??

I'll def bring them in. The shineyland ones are the green one at the top and the greyish one on the right
    I'll def bring them in. The shineyland ones are the green one at the top and the greyish one on the right
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. HarryS

When to Move a Montana Clematis ?

Cheers @Verdun , I was hoping now would be OK . Just had a new fence fitted , so would like to get the Montanas topping it next year. I will fill the hole with a soil sand and MPC mix , and use...
    Cheers @Verdun , I was hoping now would be OK . Just had a new fence fitted , so would like to get the Montanas topping it next year. I will fill the hole with a soil sand and MPC mix , and use a Gro-More slow release feed. Can't use blood fish and bone or Molly and Bella ( with us for a week...
    Cheers @Verdun , I was hoping now would be OK . Just had a new fence fitted , so would like to get the Montanas topping it next year. I will fill the hole with a soil sand and MPC mix , and use a Gro-More slow release feed. Can't use blood fish...
    Cheers @Verdun , I was hoping now would be OK . Just had a new fence fitted , so would like to get the Montanas topping it next year. I will fill the hole with a soil sand and MPC mix , and use...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Sheal

Ilex - Holly

Thank you for the information @Barb in Pa but the two Hollies I have are quite enough for my garden. :thumbsup:Thank you too That's what I needed to know. :) Because I've planted them side by side and...
    Thank you for the information @Barb in Pa but the two Hollies I have are quite enough for my garden. :thumbsup:Thank you too That's what I needed to know. :) Because I've planted them side by side and against a boundary I needed to get the spacing right, not only for their growth but access to the...
    Thank you for the information @Barb in Pa but the two Hollies I have are quite enough for my garden. :thumbsup:Thank you too That's what I needed to know. :) Because I've planted them side by side and against a boundary I needed to get the spacing...
    Thank you for the information @Barb in Pa but the two Hollies I have are quite enough for my garden. :thumbsup:Thank you too That's what I needed to know. :) Because I've planted them side by side and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. eddybaby

Broken Tree

:gmorning:and :thankyou: I'll have another look at it and see what I can do.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Phil A

Amphibious Persicaria

Oh no.............
    Oh no.............
    Oh no.............
    Oh no.............
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Phil A

Very Old Tree

You'm right Pete :)UK's first Wollemi pines from seed | Kew
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sarah Eley

What to plant?

Thanks everyone. Great ideas!Assumed co.uk was for British gardeners so apols for that. Am in UK.:)
    Thanks everyone. Great ideas!Assumed co.uk was for British gardeners so apols for that. Am in UK.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Phil A
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Freddy

Evergreen Clematis

I love them all, Freddy. In a good year you can smell the blossom 25 yards away, and now that the Seasons seem to be blurring you shouldn't be surprised if they flower earlier than Spring and...
    I love them all, Freddy. In a good year you can smell the blossom 25 yards away, and now that the Seasons seem to be blurring you shouldn't be surprised if they flower earlier than Spring and then repeat flowering during the year,:coffee::snorky: Don't worry if some of the plant's leaves turn brown during...
    I love them all, Freddy. In a good year you can smell the blossom 25 yards away, and now that the Seasons seem to be blurring you shouldn't be surprised if they flower earlier than Spring and then repeat flowering during the year,:coffee::snorky: Don't worry...
    I love them all, Freddy. In a good year you can smell the blossom 25 yards away, and now that the Seasons seem to be blurring you shouldn't be surprised if they flower earlier than Spring and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Freddy

Rose/Clematis Combination

Good evening @Freddy great choice my friendMedium yellow Large-Flowered Climber. Registration name: Golden Showers Bred by Dr. Walter E. Lammerts (United States, circa 1950). Introduced in...
    Good evening @Freddy great choice my friendMedium yellow Large-Flowered Climber. Registration name: Golden Showers Bred by Dr. Walter E. Lammerts (United States, circa 1950). Introduced in United States by Germain's (Germain Seed & Plant Co.)in 1956 as 'Golden Showers'. Introduced in...
    Good evening @Freddy great choice my friendMedium yellow Large-Flowered Climber. Registration name: Golden Showers Bred by Dr. Walter E. Lammerts (United States, circa 1950). Introduced in United States by Germain's (Germain Seed & Plant...
    Good evening @Freddy great choice my friendMedium yellow Large-Flowered Climber. Registration name: Golden Showers Bred by Dr. Walter E. Lammerts (United States, circa 1950). Introduced in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. eddybaby
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice