General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. bluepeter

Azaleas: how far apart?

As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also...
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also Dwarf White, depending on the answer to my question). Thompson & Morgan have them listed here and here....
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also Dwarf White, depending on the answer to my question)....
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I want to put a few azaleas into a border. But how far apart should I put them, and hence how many should I buy? The variety is Dwarf Orange (possibly also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ThePlantAssassin

Bark or Manure?

Probably some time in the future, similar comments may be given.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Liam brooks

Turf turning yellow

Dog pee always kills grass in summer, in winter the rain and wet soil dilutes it. Follow the dog round with a bucket of water. :biggrin:
    Dog pee always kills grass in summer, in winter the rain and wet soil dilutes it. Follow the dog round with a bucket of water. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Emaggie

A Tale of Woe...

Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter...
    Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter (lost all my delphiniums) then a glorious spring then saharan conditions in summer probably did it. If...
    Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter (lost all my delphiniums) then a glorious spring...
    Just about every single plant in my garden, both fruit and veg have been sub par this year. Everything started out so promising then went to hell in a handcart. South coast so a very wet winter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. pete

Nemesia

Same here. Ive grown them for a couple years for their scent in baskets and containers. This year about 2/3 of mine died off whilst the rest of the plants survived. I wont bother with them next...
    Same here. Ive grown them for a couple years for their scent in baskets and containers. This year about 2/3 of mine died off whilst the rest of the plants survived. I wont bother with them next year no matter how glorious they smell. Nothing smells good when its dead eh.
    Same here. Ive grown them for a couple years for their scent in baskets and containers. This year about 2/3 of mine died off whilst the rest of the plants survived. I wont bother with them next year no matter how glorious they smell. Nothing...
    Same here. Ive grown them for a couple years for their scent in baskets and containers. This year about 2/3 of mine died off whilst the rest of the plants survived. I wont bother with them next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Beej118

What is this plant?

Welcome Beej118. :)It also looks like dock, the picture is rather small to tell properly. Both dock and horseradish both have tap roots and are difficult to remove once they get a hold. If the...
    Welcome Beej118. :)It also looks like dock, the picture is rather small to tell properly. Both dock and horseradish both have tap roots and are difficult to remove once they get a hold. If the root is broken and some left in the ground it will re-shoot.
    Welcome Beej118. :)It also looks like dock, the picture is rather small to tell properly. Both dock and horseradish both have tap roots and are difficult to remove once they get a hold. If the root is broken and some left in the ground it will...
    Welcome Beej118. :)It also looks like dock, the picture is rather small to tell properly. Both dock and horseradish both have tap roots and are difficult to remove once they get a hold. If the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. SimonZ
    Like x 4

Fuchsias

Well, look around various plant nurseries to see if they offer varieties where pollination is not much of a problem. You can limit purchases to just one plant but I found it better for my...
    Well, look around various plant nurseries to see if they offer varieties where pollination is not much of a problem. You can limit purchases to just one plant but I found it better for my blueberry-addicted household to have three; they Agriculture Extension Service also recommended three as the...
    Well, look around various plant nurseries to see if they offer varieties where pollination is not much of a problem. You can limit purchases to just one plant but I found it better for my blueberry-addicted household to have three; they...
    Well, look around various plant nurseries to see if they offer varieties where pollination is not much of a problem. You can limit purchases to just one plant but I found it better for my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Beej118

what is this plant ?

I think it might be evening primrose.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jasmine star

Hibiscus advice please.

Ah I see @pete, great thank you :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Kirsty Macdonald

Garden Design Help!

First thing that comes to mind is the family members that the garden will be occupied by. Ages of the children is relevant (I've watched too much Titchmarsh!) But with little ones, it does mean...
    First thing that comes to mind is the family members that the garden will be occupied by. Ages of the children is relevant (I've watched too much Titchmarsh!) But with little ones, it does mean the difference beween a stonking big pond teeming with wild life, or alternatively a big play area...
    First thing that comes to mind is the family members that the garden will be occupied by. Ages of the children is relevant (I've watched too much Titchmarsh!) But with little ones, it does mean the difference beween a stonking big pond teeming...
    First thing that comes to mind is the family members that the garden will be occupied by. Ages of the children is relevant (I've watched too much Titchmarsh!) But with little ones, it does mean...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Aldo
    Informative x 3

Gardening books and magazines at the Internet Archive

I am not familiar with the file format used by kindle, so I am not entirely sure. It would seem that those books which requires no registration, such as this quite fascinating "Subtropical...
    I am not familiar with the file format used by kindle, so I am not entirely sure. It would seem that those books which requires no registration, such as this quite fascinating "Subtropical vegetable-gardening" from 1916 Subtropical vegetable-gardening : Rolfs, Peter Henry, 1865- : Free Download,...
    I am not familiar with the file format used by kindle, so I am not entirely sure. It would seem that those books which requires no registration, such as this quite fascinating "Subtropical vegetable-gardening" from 1916 Subtropical...
    I am not familiar with the file format used by kindle, so I am not entirely sure. It would seem that those books which requires no registration, such as this quite fascinating "Subtropical...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Tony81

Any idea what’s happening to my shrubs?

To be quite honest I can't see anything too bad. Hebe will always be brown inside, the berberis could be a bit dry or it could be insect damage not really possible to say .
    To be quite honest I can't see anything too bad. Hebe will always be brown inside, the berberis could be a bit dry or it could be insect damage not really possible to say .
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. MAW

Sick clematis

I did the same - chopped it down - no sign of life - will wait and see!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Mishka Grizzly

What plant is this?

Thank you!!
    Thank you!!
    Thank you!!
    Thank you!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. fred88

Time for a chop?

Ok, thanks all for the advice. F
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. sandhun

How to soften the look of this driveway wall

I think it would look lovely.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. bluepeter

Basic question about forks

I bought a Bulldog fork and spade 30 years ago, when I got my first garden. Wooden handled, one piece forged heads still going strong. Looked at stainless steel and other handle types, but they...
    I bought a Bulldog fork and spade 30 years ago, when I got my first garden. Wooden handled, one piece forged heads still going strong. Looked at stainless steel and other handle types, but they didn't feel right. They were in a sale 30% off, so I got a good pair of loppers as well. Since then...
    I bought a Bulldog fork and spade 30 years ago, when I got my first garden. Wooden handled, one piece forged heads still going strong. Looked at stainless steel and other handle types, but they didn't feel right. They were in a sale 30% off, so I...
    I bought a Bulldog fork and spade 30 years ago, when I got my first garden. Wooden handled, one piece forged heads still going strong. Looked at stainless steel and other handle types, but they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jasmine star

Should I buy a Magnolia?

Yep. That makes sence. I might get brave and throw caution to the wind :ouch1: I have a few of acid lovers in pots. If they don't like it I could take them back out :psnp: thank you :blue thumb:
    Yep. That makes sence. I might get brave and throw caution to the wind :ouch1: I have a few of acid lovers in pots. If they don't like it I could take them back out :psnp: thank you :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. SimonZ

Cutting back Colombines

Isn't that one of the nice things about aquilegia? They do self-seed, but they're so pretty you can't really begrudge them a little space in the border.
    Isn't that one of the nice things about aquilegia? They do self-seed, but they're so pretty you can't really begrudge them a little space in the border.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. SimonZ

Perovskia "Blue Spire."

Just wondering now whether to stake/tie back this perovskia? It is coming into flower, but some stalks are not flowering, and are very bowed over, due no doubt to a combination of recent...
    Just wondering now whether to stake/tie back this perovskia? It is coming into flower, but some stalks are not flowering, and are very bowed over, due no doubt to a combination of recent excessive rains, and its own heavy weight now that the plant has multiplied. I confess I didn't adhere to...
    Just wondering now whether to stake/tie back this perovskia? It is coming into flower, but some stalks are not flowering, and are very bowed over, due no doubt to a combination of recent excessive rains, and its own heavy weight now that the...
    Just wondering now whether to stake/tie back this perovskia? It is coming into flower, but some stalks are not flowering, and are very bowed over, due no doubt to a combination of recent...
    DSCF0266.JPG DSCF2734.JPG DSCF2735.JPG DSCF2149.JPG DSCF2136.JPG DSCF2137.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice