General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. SimonZ

Astrantia

Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy...
    Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy stems remaining can simply be knocked off with your hand. Yes, feeding is important but a thick mulch...
    Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy stems remaining can simply be knocked off with your...
    Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. 2nd_bassoon

Sheltered shady corner with heavy soil

Pleasure 2nd bassoon.....you can make that a very attractive and perfumed spot I think :)
    Pleasure 2nd bassoon.....you can make that a very attractive and perfumed spot I think :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Selleri

The Bed Of Afterthoughts- what to plant this summer?

I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was...
    I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was finished so late that I just chucked in what I had so now it's time to do some better planning. Sorry...
    I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was finished so late that I just chucked in what I had so...
    I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was...
    bedofafterthoughts.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Michael12345

Ideas Please!

Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you...
    Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you could alternate the pots about..I personally would look at all the different hardy geraniums for spring...
    Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you could alternate the pots about..I personally would...
    Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jack Sparrow

A Shady Spot to Fill

The white potato vine, solanum album, is very vigorous though Gary. Here it occupies a 12' wide x 8' high section of wall and is pruned hard every year. It will grow 8' plus every year so needs...
    The white potato vine, solanum album, is very vigorous though Gary. Here it occupies a 12' wide x 8' high section of wall and is pruned hard every year. It will grow 8' plus every year so needs controlling. It also requires at least part sun...here it is in full sun. Not sure it would be...
    The white potato vine, solanum album, is very vigorous though Gary. Here it occupies a 12' wide x 8' high section of wall and is pruned hard every year. It will grow 8' plus every year so needs controlling. It also requires at least part...
    The white potato vine, solanum album, is very vigorous though Gary. Here it occupies a 12' wide x 8' high section of wall and is pruned hard every year. It will grow 8' plus every year so needs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Jack Sparrow
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. MJA

Should I "bury" a shrub or replant it?

Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for...
    Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for too long. Not good garden practise to simply pile up soil around plants....6" or so is quite a lot...
    Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for too long. Not good garden practise to simply pile...
    Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Upsydaisy

I'm trying to resist........

I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that...
    I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that I can leave the plants undisturbed for longer - and I won't destroy the pots when removing the...
    I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that I can leave the plants undisturbed for longer -...
    I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fat Controller

How hard can I hack this back?

Really? I thought I was a liability! :scratch: :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Trunky

Village Produce Show - Ideas and Suggestions Please.

@Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of...
    @Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of war, raffle tombola and the list goes on.. We also a traction engine there as a local has one ...
    @Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of war, raffle tombola and the list goes on.. We...
    @Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Passport1

Is this plant Dead

Many thanks all for the replies Thanks strongylodon
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jack Sparrow

Moving a peony

Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All...
    Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All the daffodil and allium bulbs are starting to shoot so hopefully come spring that part of the...
    Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All the daffodil and allium bulbs are starting to...
    Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

New Thread HereShow Us Your Recent Purchases 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PaulB3

Am I morally wrong ?

Always nice to read a happy ending :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Snorky85

What type of hedge?

Ok a bit of a daft idea maybe but.......... box hedging in substantial classy planters ?
    Ok a bit of a daft idea maybe but.......... box hedging in substantial classy planters ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Upsydaisy
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. SimonZ
    Like x 8

Viburnum bodnantense in bloom

We have Dawn which is in flower at the moment and the smell is fantastic.:yes: If mine appears to be getting a bit out of hand I give it a light pruning and that usually sorts it out.:biggrin:
    We have Dawn which is in flower at the moment and the smell is fantastic.:yes: If mine appears to be getting a bit out of hand I give it a light pruning and that usually sorts it out.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

NEW THREAD HEREWHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Phil A
    Like x 10

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN DECEMBER 2018

Spanish Moss, Tillandsia usneoides was named by the first botanists to classify it due to it's similarity to (or reminded them of) that species of lichen which is Usnea.
    Spanish Moss, Tillandsia usneoides was named by the first botanists to classify it due to it's similarity to (or reminded them of) that species of lichen which is Usnea.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jack Sparrow

Perennial ground cover to underplant shady tree.

Soil beneath trees tends to be on the dry side so what about Tiarella. There's Tiarella "Running Tiger" which has white flowers and flowers from May to August and can be grown in partial to full...
    Soil beneath trees tends to be on the dry side so what about Tiarella. There's Tiarella "Running Tiger" which has white flowers and flowers from May to August and can be grown in partial to full shade.
    Soil beneath trees tends to be on the dry side so what about Tiarella. There's Tiarella "Running Tiger" which has white flowers and flowers from May to August and can be grown in partial to full shade.
    Soil beneath trees tends to be on the dry side so what about Tiarella. There's Tiarella "Running Tiger" which has white flowers and flowers from May to August and can be grown in partial to full...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice