General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Cassie23

Tree Issue

It appears to be forcing a buckle in the concrete gravel boards and fence post. As Mike said before, I'd talk to your neighbour because if they object to it, then it'll have to go. If they like...
    It appears to be forcing a buckle in the concrete gravel boards and fence post. As Mike said before, I'd talk to your neighbour because if they object to it, then it'll have to go. If they like it, why not give it a right good prune and bring it to a nice little shape. The new growth next year...
    It appears to be forcing a buckle in the concrete gravel boards and fence post. As Mike said before, I'd talk to your neighbour because if they object to it, then it'll have to go. If they like it, why not give it a right good prune and bring it...
    It appears to be forcing a buckle in the concrete gravel boards and fence post. As Mike said before, I'd talk to your neighbour because if they object to it, then it'll have to go. If they like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ricky101

Marigolds, Whitefly and Tomatoes ?

Not read the scientific stuff yet but old habits die hard! Hope your setup works!
    Not read the scientific stuff yet but old habits die hard! Hope your setup works!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Glynne Williams
    Like x 3

B-ware!! - great seedlings

Well folks they've started germinating! One, the brassica, up in just a few days and look normal. Another , I thought was a digitalis by the size, has also shown but don't think is a foxglove as...
    Well folks they've started germinating! One, the brassica, up in just a few days and look normal. Another , I thought was a digitalis by the size, has also shown but don't think is a foxglove as germinated in 7days - usually take 14 days! Whatever it is, it's fresh! Another similar, so must wait...
    Well folks they've started germinating! One, the brassica, up in just a few days and look normal. Another , I thought was a digitalis by the size, has also shown but don't think is a foxglove as germinated in 7days - usually take 14 days!...
    Well folks they've started germinating! One, the brassica, up in just a few days and look normal. Another , I thought was a digitalis by the size, has also shown but don't think is a foxglove as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. pete

Charcoal

Quite right @Redwing Then again, so does paper and cardboard but some people insist its safe to put on the compost! Some packaging material also have plastic and aluminium. The combination of oil,...
    Quite right @Redwing Then again, so does paper and cardboard but some people insist its safe to put on the compost! Some packaging material also have plastic and aluminium. The combination of oil, plastic and aluminium prohibits the use of recycled cardboard for use in the food industry!
    Quite right @Redwing Then again, so does paper and cardboard but some people insist its safe to put on the compost! Some packaging material also have plastic and aluminium. The combination of oil, plastic and aluminium prohibits the use of...
    Quite right @Redwing Then again, so does paper and cardboard but some people insist its safe to put on the compost! Some packaging material also have plastic and aluminium. The combination of oil,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. exlabman

Red leaves on jasmine

@TaraMaiden wow! How fab you have finally found a answer :dbgrtmb: I have 2 jasmine trachelospermum. They are one of my favourite plants. I bought them around 5 years ago. They were around a foot high in...
    @TaraMaiden wow! How fab you have finally found a answer :dbgrtmb: I have 2 jasmine trachelospermum. They are one of my favourite plants. I bought them around 5 years ago. They were around a foot high in pots and I wanted to train them up a obelisk in the pots. How naive I was. Up until a few months ago...
    @TaraMaiden wow! How fab you have finally found a answer :dbgrtmb: I have 2 jasmine trachelospermum. They are one of my favourite plants. I bought them around 5 years ago. They were around a foot high in pots and I wanted to train them up a obelisk in...
    @TaraMaiden wow! How fab you have finally found a answer :dbgrtmb: I have 2 jasmine trachelospermum. They are one of my favourite plants. I bought them around 5 years ago. They were around a foot high in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl

Buddleia Flower Power.

Good afternoon @The Buddleja Garden and many thanks my friend your advice is really very much appreciated
    Good afternoon @The Buddleja Garden and many thanks my friend your advice is really very much appreciated
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Derek 13

Japanese spirea

Ok, in that case you could try a larger pot, but a lot will now depend on the condition of the roots. If you take it out from it's pot carefully and all looks well, then you could put it in a...
    Ok, in that case you could try a larger pot, but a lot will now depend on the condition of the roots. If you take it out from it's pot carefully and all looks well, then you could put it in a larger pot with some john innes no3 compost (or mix whatever compost you've got 50/50 with some good top...
    Ok, in that case you could try a larger pot, but a lot will now depend on the condition of the roots. If you take it out from it's pot carefully and all looks well, then you could put it in a larger pot with some john innes no3 compost (or mix...
    Ok, in that case you could try a larger pot, but a lot will now depend on the condition of the roots. If you take it out from it's pot carefully and all looks well, then you could put it in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Vince
    Like x 8

The house I'm buying

I knew someone was spying on me! :th scifD36:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ZoeZoeZoe

Tall evergreen next to house?

Ooooh I just Googled it and that looks good too. Thank you. I might have a variety of plants going on :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Ooooh I just Googled it and that looks good too. Thank you. I might have a variety of plants going on :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ThePlantAssassin

Miracle grow spray attachment query

Thank you. I'll try again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. THOMAS BOLGER

Trimming

Clematis fall into three pruning categories (sheered to 30cm in March, short back and sides to tidy up or left to mostly get on with it), depending on whether they flower on new or old growth.
    Clematis fall into three pruning categories (sheered to 30cm in March, short back and sides to tidy up or left to mostly get on with it), depending on whether they flower on new or old growth.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Selleri

What to plant in difficult, dry corner?

Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird...
    Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird chicks fall into it's mouth. After I dug the pond I believe the cat fell in a few times before deciding...
    Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird chicks fall into it's mouth. After I dug the pond I...
    Of course you can't see the pond, it's a hidden pond. :old: You have to walk right up to the geraniums to see it. It used to be the neighbour's cat's favourite spot to lie and hope that blackbird...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. TheWingco

What determines ratio of female to male flowers on fruiting plants?

Complete mismatch of male/female courgette flowers this year, I've been sharing male flowers with a neighbour, without which loads of female courgettes wouldn't have been pollinated.
    Complete mismatch of male/female courgette flowers this year, I've been sharing male flowers with a neighbour, without which loads of female courgettes wouldn't have been pollinated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl
    Like x 13

What's Looking Good in July 2020

Sorry @NigelJ , just reading back and I realised you had answered all those questions in an earlier post:doh::biggrin:
    Sorry @NigelJ , just reading back and I realised you had answered all those questions in an earlier post:doh::biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ThePlantAssassin

What gardening gloves?

I always use scaffolders' gloves, from Quickfix. A scaffolder once gave me a pack of 10 pairs and I wouldn't be without them now...bramble proof, long lasting.
    I always use scaffolders' gloves, from Quickfix. A scaffolder once gave me a pack of 10 pairs and I wouldn't be without them now...bramble proof, long lasting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sarah Eley

Amaryllis leaves...what now?

Its only a young bulb and it flowered for the first time this year. Grown from offsets from a larger bulb which I dont have anymore.
    Its only a young bulb and it flowered for the first time this year. Grown from offsets from a larger bulb which I dont have anymore.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. clanless

Marigolds - dead heading - confused dot com

I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so...
    I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so are often sterile.
    I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so are often sterile.
    I think the first picture is a flower bud yet to open, same for the second picture. When the flower is dead the dry ends of the seeds poke out from the closed bud.I think most are now F1 s so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jasmine star

Repotting Calla lily

Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a...
    Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a couple of months. They wouldn't survive in my borders either so they'll have to stay in a pot :blue thumb:
    Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a couple of months. They wouldn't survive in my...
    Thanks for replying I'll wait and might try to divide them then. Yes I know what you mean. To be honest I give them very little attention. They stay where they are all year and flower over a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Rabbit Resistant Shrub etc. ?

@shiney Now that is a lovely plant, I may get one myself!:blue thumb: I presume when you say popular, you mean with the gardener and not the rabbits? :biggrin:
    @shiney Now that is a lovely plant, I may get one myself!:blue thumb: I presume when you say popular, you mean with the gardener and not the rabbits? :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. The Buddleja Garden

Have you seen this Buddleja?

I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is...
    I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is wrong, as it doesn't mention the Buddleja at all.I have a plant labelled B. limitanea, origin...
    I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is wrong, as it doesn't mention the Buddleja at all.I...
    I'm looking for more information on a lost hybrid of B. davidii/forrestii called Buddleja X 'Hotblackiana'. Has anyone ever seen this plant? I've seen the Wikipedia page, and the reference is...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice