1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Frank

Waterlogged garden - help required

Hi Fran and Mrs Cloudy, thanks for your help - i'll find out about corers for sure and i'll definately be going down the path of uncompacting the garden. Thanks again.
    Hi Fran and Mrs Cloudy, thanks for your help - i'll find out about corers for sure and i'll definately be going down the path of uncompacting the garden. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. greenhouse goblin

growing mushrooms ( not magic )

Thanks for tips on mushrooms, I got a kit and started, into first week so early days yet, hoping fot a result soon.
    Thanks for tips on mushrooms, I got a kit and started, into first week so early days yet, hoping fot a result soon.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. davemachin

Help Needed Please!

Hello All, I work in an old peoples home on the Nottingham / Derbyshire border and need help to make alterations to the garden to make it more manageable. CAN YOU HELP PLEASE? There is nothing too...
    Hello All, I work in an old peoples home on the Nottingham / Derbyshire border and need help to make alterations to the garden to make it more manageable. CAN YOU HELP PLEASE? There is nothing too strenuous and I think half a dozen people for one day will do the job. Tea, coffee, buscuits, and...
    Hello All, I work in an old peoples home on the Nottingham / Derbyshire border and need help to make alterations to the garden to make it more manageable. CAN YOU HELP PLEASE? There is nothing too strenuous and I think half a dozen people for one...
    Hello All, I work in an old peoples home on the Nottingham / Derbyshire border and need help to make alterations to the garden to make it more manageable. CAN YOU HELP PLEASE? There is nothing too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. cyclamen

bergenias

Thank you for that- it has given me a lot to think about - they all all the same species - they were all bought together in a plant auction! and, yes, some of them are divisions that I have made...
    Thank you for that- it has given me a lot to think about - they all all the same species - they were all bought together in a plant auction! and, yes, some of them are divisions that I have made from some of them, so maybe a "bad " lot as you say!
    Thank you for that- it has given me a lot to think about - they all all the same species - they were all bought together in a plant auction! and, yes, some of them are divisions that I have made from some of them, so maybe a "bad " lot as you say!
    Thank you for that- it has given me a lot to think about - they all all the same species - they were all bought together in a plant auction! and, yes, some of them are divisions that I have made...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sunshine

Smothering Weeds

Hi all If you find 'em under black plastic its the ideal opportunity to squish 'em!!! lol They've never eaten Buzy Lizzies in my garden either. Buy the cheapest most horrid instant coffee, get...
    Hi all If you find 'em under black plastic its the ideal opportunity to squish 'em!!! lol They've never eaten Buzy Lizzies in my garden either. Buy the cheapest most horrid instant coffee, get one of those hand sprayers from Wilko's, put about 4 tablespoons coffee & top with water. Spray every...
    Hi all If you find 'em under black plastic its the ideal opportunity to squish 'em!!! lol They've never eaten Buzy Lizzies in my garden either. Buy the cheapest most horrid instant coffee, get one of those hand sprayers from Wilko's, put about 4...
    Hi all If you find 'em under black plastic its the ideal opportunity to squish 'em!!! lol They've never eaten Buzy Lizzies in my garden either. Buy the cheapest most horrid instant coffee, get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mrs cloudy

Pricking Out

Hi PeterS I think splitting them is a great way of keeping their vigour. The only thing to watch for is any sign of disease (Can be prone to leaf miners & some virus'). New seed will help keep...
    Hi PeterS I think splitting them is a great way of keeping their vigour. The only thing to watch for is any sign of disease (Can be prone to leaf miners & some virus'). New seed will help keep the gene pool diverse, but I wouldn't bother if they look healthy - Lucky you, they're so versatile,...
    Hi PeterS I think splitting them is a great way of keeping their vigour. The only thing to watch for is any sign of disease (Can be prone to leaf miners & some virus'). New seed will help keep the gene pool diverse, but I wouldn't bother if...
    Hi PeterS I think splitting them is a great way of keeping their vigour. The only thing to watch for is any sign of disease (Can be prone to leaf miners & some virus'). New seed will help keep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. TRACEY

Cuttings

Take a look at this link Clematis cuttings - I think it covers everything.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. neesh

Very Overgrown Honeysuckle?

Snake get such bad press! The three that live in the British Isles really are harmless, honestly,a wasp or bee is more likely to sting and more venomous than our little adder.
    Snake get such bad press! The three that live in the British Isles really are harmless, honestly,a wasp or bee is more likely to sting and more venomous than our little adder.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. andytommo

Wilting rhodedendron

If you find an adult vine weevil wearing a sombreo then it probably has been eating chillis Mrs Cloudy.
    If you find an adult vine weevil wearing a sombreo then it probably has been eating chillis Mrs Cloudy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. foxtrot

Basil

Yeah, what Pete said. In a greenhouse is probably best.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. skrumpy

Rotting Gladioli Bulbs

Ahh, yellow sulphur, 'spose I could just get the mother in law to breathe on them! ;) . Thanks for the tip.
    Ahh, yellow sulphur, 'spose I could just get the mother in law to breathe on them! ;) . Thanks for the tip.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. odina

seedlings

I decided to grow my own flowers this year from seed. I dont have a greenhouse so my laundry room has been taken over by seedlings. My lupin seedlings are about 3wks old, 6ins tall with two...
    I decided to grow my own flowers this year from seed. I dont have a greenhouse so my laundry room has been taken over by seedlings. My lupin seedlings are about 3wks old, 6ins tall with two leaves. Question is do I just leave them alone untill its time to harden off?My next question is about...
    I decided to grow my own flowers this year from seed. I dont have a greenhouse so my laundry room has been taken over by seedlings. My lupin seedlings are about 3wks old, 6ins tall with two leaves. Question is do I just leave them alone untill...
    I decided to grow my own flowers this year from seed. I dont have a greenhouse so my laundry room has been taken over by seedlings. My lupin seedlings are about 3wks old, 6ins tall with two...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. poppylove

Box dippy

Hi Poppylove please check for nesting birds before you prune, & have a look at the 2 links...
    Hi Poppylove please check for nesting birds before you prune, & have a look at the 2 links below. http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/gardenhedges/the_law.asp http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/gardenhedges/maintaining_a_hedge.asp These 2 links suggest pruning up to 3 times in a season (it...
    Hi Poppylove please check for nesting birds before you prune, & have a look at the 2 links below. http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/gardenhedges/the_law.asp http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/gardenhedges/maintaining_a_hedge.asp These 2...
    Hi Poppylove please check for nesting birds before you prune, & have a look at the 2 links...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. paul1158

Advice please for Raising Garden

Do you mean you want to raise it by 18 inches?
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mitchell

Field Woodrush

Hi Mitchell - try the old RHS & good luck! http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0404/fieldwoodrush.asp [ April 07, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]
    Hi Mitchell - try the old RHS & good luck! http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0404/fieldwoodrush.asp [ April 07, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. paul

black eyed susan

Were the seeds properly ripe, and were they stored cool and dry through the winter. Thats the most important thing, any doubts might aswell buy a packet, not that expensive. Just noticed,...
    Were the seeds properly ripe, and were they stored cool and dry through the winter. Thats the most important thing, any doubts might aswell buy a packet, not that expensive. Just noticed, UNHEATED propagator in UNHEATED greenhouse, it might get warm during the day but its still cold at night....
    Were the seeds properly ripe, and were they stored cool and dry through the winter. Thats the most important thing, any doubts might aswell buy a packet, not that expensive. Just noticed, UNHEATED propagator in UNHEATED greenhouse, it might get...
    Were the seeds properly ripe, and were they stored cool and dry through the winter. Thats the most important thing, any doubts might aswell buy a packet, not that expensive. Just noticed,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. alan

garden suppliers

have been using N.A.KAYS for some bits around the greenhouse and garden.they seem very reliable but are there others as good or better. please let me and all our other readers know wo you use....
    have been using N.A.KAYS for some bits around the greenhouse and garden.they seem very reliable but are there others as good or better. please let me and all our other readers know wo you use. maybe we could start a rating system for suppliers. if thats ok with nathan cheers alan ;)
    have been using N.A.KAYS for some bits around the greenhouse and garden.they seem very reliable but are there others as good or better. please let me and all our other readers know wo you use. maybe we could start a rating system for suppliers....
    have been using N.A.KAYS for some bits around the greenhouse and garden.they seem very reliable but are there others as good or better. please let me and all our other readers know wo you use....
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. LittleD

Have I made a pigs-ear of this?

Thanks both Steve, we took a big old apple tree down at the end of last year it lay and the west side of the plot so all the mid summer 11am - 4pm sunshine was blocked out it gave so much more...
    Thanks both Steve, we took a big old apple tree down at the end of last year it lay and the west side of the plot so all the mid summer 11am - 4pm sunshine was blocked out it gave so much more light that I got really enthusiastic about my new,light veg plot this is why I wanted to get the...
    Thanks both Steve, we took a big old apple tree down at the end of last year it lay and the west side of the plot so all the mid summer 11am - 4pm sunshine was blocked out it gave so much more light that I got really enthusiastic about my...
    Thanks both Steve, we took a big old apple tree down at the end of last year it lay and the west side of the plot so all the mid summer 11am - 4pm sunshine was blocked out it gave so much more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. tanya

vibernum

Hi Tanya - there are loads of different types of viburnum - need some more info - do you have a name for it? Is it evergreen, semi evergreen, deciduous? Could you post a pic? Does it have berries...
    Hi Tanya - there are loads of different types of viburnum - need some more info - do you have a name for it? Is it evergreen, semi evergreen, deciduous? Could you post a pic? Does it have berries later on? Most evergreen viburnum (flowering spring or early summer) are "pruning group 1" -...
    Hi Tanya - there are loads of different types of viburnum - need some more info - do you have a name for it? Is it evergreen, semi evergreen, deciduous? Could you post a pic? Does it have berries later on? Most evergreen viburnum (flowering...
    Hi Tanya - there are loads of different types of viburnum - need some more info - do you have a name for it? Is it evergreen, semi evergreen, deciduous? Could you post a pic? Does it have berries...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. shah

What Climbers for wall trellices

Try Morrisons supermarketThey have many clematis and a few other climbers at �£1.69. Beats any garden centre.
    Try Morrisons supermarketThey have many clematis and a few other climbers at �£1.69. Beats any garden centre.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice