1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Steve Dallman

Is it cold up North?

I am new here but I live in Caithness and you dont get further north than that, as long as you grow in shelter and have early fruiting varieties you can grow the same here as anywhere. I inherited...
    I am new here but I live in Caithness and you dont get further north than that, as long as you grow in shelter and have early fruiting varieties you can grow the same here as anywhere. I inherited apple trees and plums so dont know the variety but Butterworths will advise of the early fruiting...
    I am new here but I live in Caithness and you dont get further north than that, as long as you grow in shelter and have early fruiting varieties you can grow the same here as anywhere. I inherited apple trees and plums so dont know the variety...
    I am new here but I live in Caithness and you dont get further north than that, as long as you grow in shelter and have early fruiting varieties you can grow the same here as anywhere. I inherited...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. The Pea Of Sweetness

Freescias

Bon soir, Mona LisaThanks for the suggestions. I used to grow the giant fragrant lilies in England but got fed up with the pollen getting everything and I found it virtually impossible to...
    Bon soir, Mona LisaThanks for the suggestions. I used to grow the giant fragrant lilies in England but got fed up with the pollen getting everything and I found it virtually impossible to remove from materials.I have pinks but not enough to pick. My carnations (from seed two years ago)...
    Bon soir, Mona LisaThanks for the suggestions. I used to grow the giant fragrant lilies in England but got fed up with the pollen getting everything and I found it virtually impossible to remove from materials.I have pinks but not enough to...
    Bon soir, Mona LisaThanks for the suggestions. I used to grow the giant fragrant lilies in England but got fed up with the pollen getting everything and I found it virtually impossible to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Kandy

Iris Pollination

Is there anyone that can help me in getting some of my various Iris plants to set seed.I have tried doing it with a paintbrush and a pair of tweezers taking the pollen and transfering it but to...
    Is there anyone that can help me in getting some of my various Iris plants to set seed.I have tried doing it with a paintbrush and a pair of tweezers taking the pollen and transfering it but to no avail. I have mainly tall bearded Iris.My Siberian Iris are pollinated by the bees, but they...
    Is there anyone that can help me in getting some of my various Iris plants to set seed.I have tried doing it with a paintbrush and a pair of tweezers taking the pollen and transfering it but to no avail. I have mainly tall bearded Iris.My...
    Is there anyone that can help me in getting some of my various Iris plants to set seed.I have tried doing it with a paintbrush and a pair of tweezers taking the pollen and transfering it but to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Waco

Amercrinum

On same topic as amerillis really, a kind of cross between that and crinums, but are supposed to be hardy again.Anyone tried them outside?
    On same topic as amerillis really, a kind of cross between that and crinums, but are supposed to be hardy again.Anyone tried them outside?
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. lazy-gardener

anyone grow marshmallow?

I have some marshmallow but its not in flower yet..hornbeams picture is the same as the one i have ..I dont harvest mine i just like to keep it mine is in a damp area by my leaking pond!!
    I have some marshmallow but its not in flower yet..hornbeams picture is the same as the one i have ..I dont harvest mine i just like to keep it mine is in a damp area by my leaking pond!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. The Pea Of Sweetness

We've been doing up on yard and ......

Great way to enjoy a great garden!Well done
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Waco

Man problem?

jay but that is the problem, men don't like "direct orderds", I had him under controll, but just giving him a bit of long reign.cobbybrook, you have to be single!!!anyway are my Prunus...
    jay but that is the problem, men don't like "direct orderds", I had him under controll, but just giving him a bit of long reign.cobbybrook, you have to be single!!!anyway are my Prunus lisitanica going to survive now? should make a good hedge if they do.
    jay but that is the problem, men don't like "direct orderds", I had him under controll, but just giving him a bit of long reign.cobbybrook, you have to be single!!!anyway are my Prunus lisitanica going to survive now? should make a good hedge...
    jay but that is the problem, men don't like "direct orderds", I had him under controll, but just giving him a bit of long reign.cobbybrook, you have to be single!!!anyway are my Prunus...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. The Pea Of Sweetness

Bleeding hearts query no.2!

Chobart, when you say cut it back - by how much? Deadhead or a really serious haircut.
    Chobart, when you say cut it back - by how much? Deadhead or a really serious haircut.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Webmaster

Guerilla Gardeners

I had a good look on their site, they suggest a 'Seed Bomb' :D , fill a balloon with some compost, water and a mix of seeds and throw it out your car whilst driving onto central reservations...
    I had a good look on their site, they suggest a 'Seed Bomb' :D , fill a balloon with some compost, water and a mix of seeds and throw it out your car whilst driving onto central reservations etc.May have to give this a go :DNathan.
    I had a good look on their site, they suggest a 'Seed Bomb' :D , fill a balloon with some compost, water and a mix of seeds and throw it out your car whilst driving onto central reservations etc.May have to give this a go :DNathan.
    I had a good look on their site, they suggest a 'Seed Bomb' :D , fill a balloon with some compost, water and a mix of seeds and throw it out your car whilst driving onto central reservations...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Ystalyfera

Plant for security measures

oops still have two memberships open after forgetting one and it always logs in under Firefox on this one
    oops still have two memberships open after forgetting one and it always logs in under Firefox on this one
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Hornbeam

Angelica and Hemlock

Sorry for the earlier confusion - must be the heat! This is henbane and its nothing like hemlock. Only the names are similar. The whole plant of henbane is very poisonous but it is now quite...
    Sorry for the earlier confusion - must be the heat! This is henbane and its nothing like hemlock. Only the names are similar. The whole plant of henbane is very poisonous but it is now quite rare.
    Sorry for the earlier confusion - must be the heat! This is henbane and its nothing like hemlock. Only the names are similar. The whole plant of henbane is very poisonous but it is now quite rare.
    Sorry for the earlier confusion - must be the heat! This is henbane and its nothing like hemlock. Only the names are similar. The whole plant of henbane is very poisonous but it is now quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. jay

Cuttings

Two varieties that will root freely in water are weeping willow and twisted willow. My neighbour and I both have nice little twisted willow trees grown from twigs in bouquets of flowers, and I...
    Two varieties that will root freely in water are weeping willow and twisted willow. My neighbour and I both have nice little twisted willow trees grown from twigs in bouquets of flowers, and I have several bits of weeping willow rooting up nicely in my pond to try a bonsai one. I would think...
    Two varieties that will root freely in water are weeping willow and twisted willow. My neighbour and I both have nice little twisted willow trees grown from twigs in bouquets of flowers, and I have several bits of weeping willow rooting up nicely...
    Two varieties that will root freely in water are weeping willow and twisted willow. My neighbour and I both have nice little twisted willow trees grown from twigs in bouquets of flowers, and I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. frogesque

Check your sheds this weekend!

Mums and dads beware, my son has a TP climbing frame and the tent window part rolls up, I went to roll it down after about 5 days and there was a honeycomb in it about the size of a large bar...
    Mums and dads beware, my son has a TP climbing frame and the tent window part rolls up, I went to roll it down after about 5 days and there was a honeycomb in it about the size of a large bar chocolate, luckily there were no stingers that i noticed about when i found it, but i dread to think...
    Mums and dads beware, my son has a TP climbing frame and the tent window part rolls up, I went to roll it down after about 5 days and there was a honeycomb in it about the size of a large bar chocolate, luckily there were no stingers that i...
    Mums and dads beware, my son has a TP climbing frame and the tent window part rolls up, I went to roll it down after about 5 days and there was a honeycomb in it about the size of a large bar...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. shwn29

rhododedenron

The first sentance is the clue I think. Rhodies do not do well in full sun. They are shade lovers doing well in dappled and partial shade. They are quite shallow rooted so I would imagine that if...
    The first sentance is the clue I think. Rhodies do not do well in full sun. They are shade lovers doing well in dappled and partial shade. They are quite shallow rooted so I would imagine that if its in full sun,its not getting enough water.I would lift it and move it into a shadier place -...
    The first sentance is the clue I think. Rhodies do not do well in full sun. They are shade lovers doing well in dappled and partial shade. They are quite shallow rooted so I would imagine that if its in full sun,its not getting enough water.I...
    The first sentance is the clue I think. Rhodies do not do well in full sun. They are shade lovers doing well in dappled and partial shade. They are quite shallow rooted so I would imagine that if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Liz

Ceanothus

If anybody wants cuttings from it your welcome, I would need advice as to best time to do it, bearing in mind its evergreen and never dormant, and best way to send thro' the post?elainefiz:...
    If anybody wants cuttings from it your welcome, I would need advice as to best time to do it, bearing in mind its evergreen and never dormant, and best way to send thro' the post?elainefiz: Thanks, hope you are not in a hurry then? ;)PeterS: :D I like that, reminds me of my late mother who...
    If anybody wants cuttings from it your welcome, I would need advice as to best time to do it, bearing in mind its evergreen and never dormant, and best way to send thro' the post?elainefiz: Thanks, hope you are not in a hurry then? ;)PeterS: ...
    If anybody wants cuttings from it your welcome, I would need advice as to best time to do it, bearing in mind its evergreen and never dormant, and best way to send thro' the post?elainefiz:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Geometer

Happy Hippy: about Robins

Thanks Geometer, take your point so far, look forward to hearing from you again! ;)
    Thanks Geometer, take your point so far, look forward to hearing from you again! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Liz

Yet another idea

I've been Freecycled! I am a natural hoarder and have to restrain myself quite severely to avoid ending up like the people on TV who can't get in their houses for 'things' piled waist...
    I've been Freecycled! I am a natural hoarder and have to restrain myself quite severely to avoid ending up like the people on TV who can't get in their houses for 'things' piled waist high.... Freecycle appeals to all my worst instincts, and I blame GC for introducing me to it. :D ANYWAY, I...
    I've been Freecycled! I am a natural hoarder and have to restrain myself quite severely to avoid ending up like the people on TV who can't get in their houses for 'things' piled waist high.... Freecycle appeals to all my worst instincts, and I...
    I've been Freecycled! I am a natural hoarder and have to restrain myself quite severely to avoid ending up like the people on TV who can't get in their houses for 'things' piled waist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. poppy

chinees lanten

thanks very much for answering, ive transplanted them to a large pot, and day 2 they still look good ...... not expecting anything this year, but hopefully next year the kids will have fun...
    thanks very much for answering, ive transplanted them to a large pot, and day 2 they still look good ...... not expecting anything this year, but hopefully next year the kids will have fun squishing the orange lanterns .... well thats what i used to do as a child .. lol !!
    thanks very much for answering, ive transplanted them to a large pot, and day 2 they still look good ...... not expecting anything this year, but hopefully next year the kids will have fun squishing the orange lanterns .... well thats what i used...
    thanks very much for answering, ive transplanted them to a large pot, and day 2 they still look good ...... not expecting anything this year, but hopefully next year the kids will have fun...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ChrisM

Hello and rusty mint

Thanks Liz
    Thanks Liz
    Thanks Liz
    Thanks Liz
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. AmandaClareEmily

Attractive climber pot plant to grow over shed?

If you want something quick, cheap and cheefull for this summer while you get something else established then why not plant up a container of sweetpeas. They will quickly head upwards to the light...
    If you want something quick, cheap and cheefull for this summer while you get something else established then why not plant up a container of sweetpeas. They will quickly head upwards to the light and then tumble over the shed roof. Just put a bit of netting over the roof to give them something...
    If you want something quick, cheap and cheefull for this summer while you get something else established then why not plant up a container of sweetpeas. They will quickly head upwards to the light and then tumble over the shed roof. Just put a...
    If you want something quick, cheap and cheefull for this summer while you get something else established then why not plant up a container of sweetpeas. They will quickly head upwards to the light...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice