1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Poppy33

Cow Parsley

Yes, mine looked like a proper yokel with bunches of green stuff sticking out of his mouth too!! :D
    Yes, mine looked like a proper yokel with bunches of green stuff sticking out of his mouth too!! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. summergardener

planting out perennials in Scotland

Thanks very much for the advice. I have enough to experiment so I will try planting some early, and hold some back. I found your points about lupins and foxgloves interesting frogesque, so I...
    Thanks very much for the advice. I have enough to experiment so I will try planting some early, and hold some back. I found your points about lupins and foxgloves interesting frogesque, so I will put some little ones in quite soon and see what happens there.
    Thanks very much for the advice. I have enough to experiment so I will try planting some early, and hold some back. I found your points about lupins and foxgloves interesting frogesque, so I will put some little ones in quite soon and see what...
    Thanks very much for the advice. I have enough to experiment so I will try planting some early, and hold some back. I found your points about lupins and foxgloves interesting frogesque, so I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. PeterS

Verbena Bonariensis

Hi Kandyfloss, thanks for that. My seeds were free with AG last year. Looks like I won't have to grow any more seeds!
    Hi Kandyfloss, thanks for that. My seeds were free with AG last year. Looks like I won't have to grow any more seeds!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. gardencat

Climbers for North Facing Porchway

I have a shaded balcony in large pots i have been succesful these past four years growing honeysuckle, russian vine{mile a minute}excellent fast growing and jasmine. I have a hop golden vine fast...
    I have a shaded balcony in large pots i have been succesful these past four years growing honeysuckle, russian vine{mile a minute}excellent fast growing and jasmine. I have a hop golden vine fast growing it died down had it 3 years thought it had gone and it has come back with a vengeance. I...
    I have a shaded balcony in large pots i have been succesful these past four years growing honeysuckle, russian vine{mile a minute}excellent fast growing and jasmine. I have a hop golden vine fast growing it died down had it 3 years thought it had...
    I have a shaded balcony in large pots i have been succesful these past four years growing honeysuckle, russian vine{mile a minute}excellent fast growing and jasmine. I have a hop golden vine fast...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. The Pea Of Sweetness

Bronze leaves on Fuscia

That is one stressed fuchsia from what I can see - and from the look of the compost overwatering may be the problem. Check the compost - if its very damp then that is likely to be your problem....
    That is one stressed fuchsia from what I can see - and from the look of the compost overwatering may be the problem. Check the compost - if its very damp then that is likely to be your problem.What I find works best in that situation is take it out of the compost remove it from around the...
    That is one stressed fuchsia from what I can see - and from the look of the compost overwatering may be the problem. Check the compost - if its very damp then that is likely to be your problem.What I find works best in that situation is take...
    That is one stressed fuchsia from what I can see - and from the look of the compost overwatering may be the problem. Check the compost - if its very damp then that is likely to be your problem....
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. AmandaClareEmily

Shade loving shrubs and perennials?

must learn how upload my pictures, i have a balcony, quite shaded in a large pot i put a summer flowering climbing shrub called solanum. glasnevin ideal for wall ot trellis it is superb. put it in...
    must learn how upload my pictures, i have a balcony, quite shaded in a large pot i put a summer flowering climbing shrub called solanum. glasnevin ideal for wall ot trellis it is superb. put it in last year and it has grown so quick with the added bonus of lovely light purple flowers with yellow...
    must learn how upload my pictures, i have a balcony, quite shaded in a large pot i put a summer flowering climbing shrub called solanum. glasnevin ideal for wall ot trellis it is superb. put it in last year and it has grown so quick with the...
    must learn how upload my pictures, i have a balcony, quite shaded in a large pot i put a summer flowering climbing shrub called solanum. glasnevin ideal for wall ot trellis it is superb. put it in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Skelf

New garden needs fast colour

iff you put a trellis against the wall buy a climbing shrub called solanum glasnevin it is ideal for a sheltered spot, i have got one growing on my balcony, iff you can get one now it will grow...
    iff you put a trellis against the wall buy a climbing shrub called solanum glasnevin it is ideal for a sheltered spot, i have got one growing on my balcony, iff you can get one now it will grow fine but will not flower until next year, great coverage, the flowers on mine are coming out now they...
    iff you put a trellis against the wall buy a climbing shrub called solanum glasnevin it is ideal for a sheltered spot, i have got one growing on my balcony, iff you can get one now it will grow fine but will not flower until next year, great...
    iff you put a trellis against the wall buy a climbing shrub called solanum glasnevin it is ideal for a sheltered spot, i have got one growing on my balcony, iff you can get one now it will grow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. zara

deterants for cats help

You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to...
    You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to worm their animals, they dont seem to realise that its a risk, they buy a puppy/kitten worm it for...
    You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to worm their animals, they dont seem to realise that...
    You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. katiejane

planting sweet peas outside

oh, and i forgot welcome katiejane just new member myself, enjoy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. pete

Zaluzianskya

Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take...
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take up "virtual gardening" on the internet. You can expand as much as you like - and no weeding! Come...
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take up "virtual gardening" on the internet. You can...
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PeterS

What Meter?

wellI could never spell anyway! What wat wut!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. chkm8

aftercare

This year I would ease up on the watering and let the roots go deeper to find their own moisture. In N. Ireland you shouldn't be bothered by prolonged drought but if the weather does get dry then...
    This year I would ease up on the watering and let the roots go deeper to find their own moisture. In N. Ireland you shouldn't be bothered by prolonged drought but if the weather does get dry then restart regular watering. Winds can sometimes be more drying than a hot but humid day.You also...
    This year I would ease up on the watering and let the roots go deeper to find their own moisture. In N. Ireland you shouldn't be bothered by prolonged drought but if the weather does get dry then restart regular watering. Winds can sometimes be...
    This year I would ease up on the watering and let the roots go deeper to find their own moisture. In N. Ireland you shouldn't be bothered by prolonged drought but if the weather does get dry then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. elainefiz

Christmas pressy plant

thankyou strongylodon,i put it outside cos the ivy was trailing all over my microwave!seems a bit daft to put the ivy in with house plants,or maybe its me thats daft for planting them out?the...
    thankyou strongylodon,i put it outside cos the ivy was trailing all over my microwave!seems a bit daft to put the ivy in with house plants,or maybe its me thats daft for planting them out?the parlor palm was a bit scorched from being near the kitchen window (i wondered what was wrong with it) ...
    thankyou strongylodon,i put it outside cos the ivy was trailing all over my microwave!seems a bit daft to put the ivy in with house plants,or maybe its me thats daft for planting them out?the parlor palm was a bit scorched from being near the...
    thankyou strongylodon,i put it outside cos the ivy was trailing all over my microwave!seems a bit daft to put the ivy in with house plants,or maybe its me thats daft for planting them out?the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. SageCat

Bamboo

Bamboo likes a peat/soil(JI3)/compost mix and plenty of food in the growing season. Cut out all the spindley shoots as these remain the size they sprouted at and will not thicken. This promotes...
    Bamboo likes a peat/soil(JI3)/compost mix and plenty of food in the growing season. Cut out all the spindley shoots as these remain the size they sprouted at and will not thicken. This promotes the production of stronger thicker canes and ultimately a healthier specimen. I also mix in mini bark...
    Bamboo likes a peat/soil(JI3)/compost mix and plenty of food in the growing season. Cut out all the spindley shoots as these remain the size they sprouted at and will not thicken. This promotes the production of stronger thicker canes and...
    Bamboo likes a peat/soil(JI3)/compost mix and plenty of food in the growing season. Cut out all the spindley shoots as these remain the size they sprouted at and will not thicken. This promotes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Rich

Pruning

Mine is in a 15" pot. The holes in the bottom are at the top of inverted spikes. I pot clay balls in the bottom up to just above the spikes and fill the rest with home made John Innes with extra...
    Mine is in a 15" pot. The holes in the bottom are at the top of inverted spikes. I pot clay balls in the bottom up to just above the spikes and fill the rest with home made John Innes with extra grit.The conservatory has a heater which prevents the temperature going below 17C.The latest...
    Mine is in a 15" pot. The holes in the bottom are at the top of inverted spikes. I pot clay balls in the bottom up to just above the spikes and fill the rest with home made John Innes with extra grit.The conservatory has a heater which...
    Mine is in a 15" pot. The holes in the bottom are at the top of inverted spikes. I pot clay balls in the bottom up to just above the spikes and fill the rest with home made John Innes with extra...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Rich

Today in the garden,

No, you should use barley straw.I have some, but the pond eventually clears on its own. I don't like it clear but being able to see the fish aproaching the surface is good, it looks more...
    No, you should use barley straw.I have some, but the pond eventually clears on its own. I don't like it clear but being able to see the fish aproaching the surface is good, it looks more natural that way, and the fish prefer it.
    No, you should use barley straw.I have some, but the pond eventually clears on its own. I don't like it clear but being able to see the fish aproaching the surface is good, it looks more natural that way, and the fish prefer it.
    No, you should use barley straw.I have some, but the pond eventually clears on its own. I don't like it clear but being able to see the fish aproaching the surface is good, it looks more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PeterS

Papaver Orientale (Poppy)

Almost as soon as I made my last post I remembered the baskets I had seen for aquatics. I was at a garden centre on Sunday - so I bought 4. As you say Tangle they are not that big, but I will...
    Almost as soon as I made my last post I remembered the baskets I had seen for aquatics. I was at a garden centre on Sunday - so I bought 4. As you say Tangle they are not that big, but I will experiment.
    Almost as soon as I made my last post I remembered the baskets I had seen for aquatics. I was at a garden centre on Sunday - so I bought 4. As you say Tangle they are not that big, but I will experiment.
    Almost as soon as I made my last post I remembered the baskets I had seen for aquatics. I was at a garden centre on Sunday - so I bought 4. As you say Tangle they are not that big, but I will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Banana Man

I can't believe its the 1st of June!!!

Hope you had a good holiday!!! Surfing?? I couldn't get over how much further along everything was down there - we visited Lanhydrock, and there were dahlias in full bloom!!They do say its...
    Hope you had a good holiday!!! Surfing?? I couldn't get over how much further along everything was down there - we visited Lanhydrock, and there were dahlias in full bloom!!They do say its going to get up to 28 this Friday, so no doubt everyone will be moaning its too hot!! :rolleyes: ...
    Hope you had a good holiday!!! Surfing?? I couldn't get over how much further along everything was down there - we visited Lanhydrock, and there were dahlias in full bloom!!They do say its going to get up to 28 this Friday, so no doubt...
    Hope you had a good holiday!!! Surfing?? I couldn't get over how much further along everything was down there - we visited Lanhydrock, and there were dahlias in full bloom!!They do say its...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. chobart

Aquilegia problem.....

This is probably not helpful but I wish something would attack mine as I am sick of digging then out as weed - sorry.If all else fails I can send you some seed, though I have to say my nora...
    This is probably not helpful but I wish something would attack mine as I am sick of digging then out as weed - sorry.If all else fails I can send you some seed, though I have to say my nora barlo is very promiscuous!
    This is probably not helpful but I wish something would attack mine as I am sick of digging then out as weed - sorry.If all else fails I can send you some seed, though I have to say my nora barlo is very promiscuous!
    This is probably not helpful but I wish something would attack mine as I am sick of digging then out as weed - sorry.If all else fails I can send you some seed, though I have to say my nora...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Waco

geranium madersens/palmatum

thought it might be you pete - thanks for info, they do look fantastic, I have imediately potted them up into nigger pots, so hope they are OK. I am told they are real geraniums too and not...
    thought it might be you pete - thanks for info, they do look fantastic, I have imediately potted them up into nigger pots, so hope they are OK. I am told they are real geraniums too and not pelagoniums, so all very interesting and worth nurturing.will keep you updated Janet
    thought it might be you pete - thanks for info, they do look fantastic, I have imediately potted them up into nigger pots, so hope they are OK. I am told they are real geraniums too and not pelagoniums, so all very interesting and worth...
    thought it might be you pete - thanks for info, they do look fantastic, I have imediately potted them up into nigger pots, so hope they are OK. I am told they are real geraniums too and not...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice