1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. maz

help please

Hi all, The type of soil in my garden is very clayey!! Where my Iris's are growing at the moment, is under the front window where the soil isn't as clayey! as the rest of the garden but it...
    Hi all, The type of soil in my garden is very clayey!! Where my Iris's are growing at the moment, is under the front window where the soil isn't as clayey! as the rest of the garden but it does sometimes get very soggy after a good old rain! In a morning they are in shade and the afternoon...
    Hi all, The type of soil in my garden is very clayey!! Where my Iris's are growing at the moment, is under the front window where the soil isn't as clayey! as the rest of the garden but it does sometimes get very soggy after a good old...
    Hi all, The type of soil in my garden is very clayey!! Where my Iris's are growing at the moment, is under the front window where the soil isn't as clayey! as the rest of the garden but it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Mimi

should I put fleece on tomorrow

Thanks Steven for the info. I did try for a varied mix of colour and height.... I think I may end up witha jungle out there, if everything that I have started from seed continues to keep growing....
    Thanks Steven for the info. I did try for a varied mix of colour and height.... I think I may end up witha jungle out there, if everything that I have started from seed continues to keep growing. Masses of Sunflowers, Morning glories, Cypress Vines, Moon Flowers etc.... It's always an adventure!
    Thanks Steven for the info. I did try for a varied mix of colour and height.... I think I may end up witha jungle out there, if everything that I have started from seed continues to keep growing. Masses of Sunflowers, Morning glories, Cypress...
    Thanks Steven for the info. I did try for a varied mix of colour and height.... I think I may end up witha jungle out there, if everything that I have started from seed continues to keep growing....
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Mimi

OT - A ? for Bayleaf

On the what??? You mean someone is using my name!!!! :mad: How dare they!! LOL ;)
    On the what??? You mean someone is using my name!!!! :mad: How dare they!! LOL ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Converses with Cows

Digging up a Japanese Maple. How?

hi ...glad you reminded me, I got 1 about 30" am going to move it toady, it's overcrowded with other plants, will also put it in a pot for the time being. Better now then never, in my case ...or...
    hi ...glad you reminded me, I got 1 about 30" am going to move it toady, it's overcrowded with other plants, will also put it in a pot for the time being. Better now then never, in my case ...or it never be seen orwill die anyway.Wold have been better in Autumn, but .....now is as good as...
    hi ...glad you reminded me, I got 1 about 30" am going to move it toady, it's overcrowded with other plants, will also put it in a pot for the time being. Better now then never, in my case ...or it never be seen orwill die anyway.Wold have been...
    hi ...glad you reminded me, I got 1 about 30" am going to move it toady, it's overcrowded with other plants, will also put it in a pot for the time being. Better now then never, in my case ...or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Webmaster

April's 'To Do' list !

Thanks ladybird, been to the greenhouse and measured my peas, 4ins, i planted them in toilet rolls insides can i leave them in these untill they go in the ground
    Thanks ladybird, been to the greenhouse and measured my peas, 4ins, i planted them in toilet rolls insides can i leave them in these untill they go in the ground
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. skrumpy

RHS Gardening Calendar

Just click on the "RHS Calendar" link in the original post and it should take you straight to it.
    Just click on the "RHS Calendar" link in the original post and it should take you straight to it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. steven

gth

What is 25 an hour ?Nathan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. alan2273

Two general questions

Hi Alan, I do the same as Fran - plant them out in the garden, Make sure you plant them deeper than they were in the pot - you need to cover the bulb with soil to a depth equal to the size of the...
    Hi Alan, I do the same as Fran - plant them out in the garden, Make sure you plant them deeper than they were in the pot - you need to cover the bulb with soil to a depth equal to the size of the bulb. Let the leaves die back, as Fran says they need to make "food" to feed next years flowers &...
    Hi Alan, I do the same as Fran - plant them out in the garden, Make sure you plant them deeper than they were in the pot - you need to cover the bulb with soil to a depth equal to the size of the bulb. Let the leaves die back, as Fran says they...
    Hi Alan, I do the same as Fran - plant them out in the garden, Make sure you plant them deeper than they were in the pot - you need to cover the bulb with soil to a depth equal to the size of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. michael

garden wall

Michael - make sure you make a note of all conversations with your neighbours regarding this issue. I know its hard to keep it "light" but try (& don't mention solicitors when you talk to them!)....
    Michael - make sure you make a note of all conversations with your neighbours regarding this issue. I know its hard to keep it "light" but try (& don't mention solicitors when you talk to them!). My neighbours were quite sneaky initially & lied about what work was being done, (so we were all...
    Michael - make sure you make a note of all conversations with your neighbours regarding this issue. I know its hard to keep it "light" but try (& don't mention solicitors when you talk to them!). My neighbours were quite sneaky initially & lied...
    Michael - make sure you make a note of all conversations with your neighbours regarding this issue. I know its hard to keep it "light" but try (& don't mention solicitors when you talk to them!)....
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. LARGE GOONER

CLEMATIS ARMANDII SNOWDRIFT

From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they...
    From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they will come back.
    From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they will come back.
    From experience, yes it does. However planting it deeply, i.e. over the first leaf helps reduce the risk - and in any case having had two clematis disappear with that problem, if your patient they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Dee

Need help with some 'Words'

Chocolate vine sounds heavenly, is there such a thing as a caramel cup tree I wonder? Mayby a pizza plant? I think I could get into this grow your own food thing. :cool:
    Chocolate vine sounds heavenly, is there such a thing as a caramel cup tree I wonder? Mayby a pizza plant? I think I could get into this grow your own food thing. :cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Lynds77

rates of pay for gardener?

Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he...
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he created from a plain grass garden himself...he loves it so much we keep saying to him he's running out...
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he created from a plain grass garden himself...he loves...
    Hi everyone thanks for all the info again.. i really should post pics of my dads garden, it really is beautiful with arches, huge pond, rockery, sleepers paving, water features etc.. which he...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. michaeld66

bay leaf

You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with...
    You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with just a a couple of leaves plus the tip leaves - gently peel it back from the main stem so you end up...
    You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with just a a couple of leaves plus the tip leaves -...
    You should be able to take a a heeled cutting it you have some new growth starting but it may be worth waiting a bit. A heeled cutting is a new growth stem that has grown this year usually with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. turl

Blood lillies

Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I...
    Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I put them all in 1 large shallow but wide planter,and coming up now. Can't wait for them to flower.
    Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I put them all in 1 large shallow but wide...
    Hi Turl,wonderful, keep going, you got that far lol ...seem to have no problem. I'm growing 5 different sizes of Alliums, about 40 in total,the largest and only 1 supposed to have 25cm, 10" I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. primrose

murraya paniculata

Hi Primrose check out the links below + remember the temp drops quite dramatically at night even without frost. http://www.romantic-garden-nursery.co.uk/catalogue/default.asp?cat=197 ...
    Hi Primrose check out the links below + remember the temp drops quite dramatically at night even without frost. http://www.romantic-garden-nursery.co.uk/catalogue/default.asp?cat=197 http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Rutaceae/Murraya_paniculata.html Also known as Murraya exotica,...
    Hi Primrose check out the links below + remember the temp drops quite dramatically at night even without frost. http://www.romantic-garden-nursery.co.uk/catalogue/default.asp?cat=197 ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. PeterS

Hydroponic trip

There is a hydroponics shop in Aberdeen called Canagrow. Pretty blatant but they seem to be within the law.
    There is a hydroponics shop in Aberdeen called Canagrow. Pretty blatant but they seem to be within the law.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Richard Norman

Can somone advise on whether this hedge is dead or not please

From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was...
    From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was mine - I would take it out and restart - and perhaps consider different hedging plants to get what you...
    From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was mine - I would take it out and restart - and perhaps...
    From the look of your picture - I would agree with Skrumpy - though the stems on the browning plants are not that thick. Whatever the cause, you got a very traumatised conifer hedge. If it was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bayleaf

Trachycarpus - To tease or not to tease?

Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled...
    Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled some of the finer roots, left fleshy ones alone. Hope the little blighter grows!
    Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled some of the finer roots, left fleshy ones alone. ...
    Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. juliendave

Trouble digging

Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it...
    Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it will hopefully look better by next year. Thanks again Julie X
    Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it will hopefully look better by next year. Thanks...
    Thanks to all three of you for your replies...I think i might go with revin helens idea first as this seems the cheapest option up to now...I know it'll take time but i shall persevere...and it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Preston Buttton

Flooded Garden Help ! ! !

Thanks for the explanation - sorry I misunderstood.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice