1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. conks

Ph levels after soil testing

A figure of 6.5 is generally quoted as the best pH for soil, simple because most plants are happy there. I do not think that you have any probem at 6. Even if your pH was further from the...
    A figure of 6.5 is generally quoted as the best pH for soil, simple because most plants are happy there. I do not think that you have any probem at 6. Even if your pH was further from the optimum I would still not do anything. It is easier to select the plants to suit the soil rather than...
    A figure of 6.5 is generally quoted as the best pH for soil, simple because most plants are happy there. I do not think that you have any probem at 6. Even if your pH was further from the optimum I would still not do anything. It is easier to...
    A figure of 6.5 is generally quoted as the best pH for soil, simple because most plants are happy there. I do not think that you have any probem at 6. Even if your pH was further from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Paladin

Stone planter.

By the way,if anyone wants a planter, I have the goods if you have the carriage!... :D
    By the way,if anyone wants a planter, I have the goods if you have the carriage!... :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Lannia

Lost Tulips

Squirrels?
    Squirrels?
    Squirrels?
    Squirrels?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. AbsoluteBeginner

I know nothing!

There are two types of heather, Spring flowering and Autumn flowering, Spring ones are ok in lime, others like acid.Its great to see you so keen, but take your time, these plants are a huge...
    There are two types of heather, Spring flowering and Autumn flowering, Spring ones are ok in lime, others like acid.Its great to see you so keen, but take your time, these plants are a huge investment, not only in money but growing time and nurture time.dig your bed well do your homework...
    There are two types of heather, Spring flowering and Autumn flowering, Spring ones are ok in lime, others like acid.Its great to see you so keen, but take your time, these plants are a huge investment, not only in money but growing time and...
    There are two types of heather, Spring flowering and Autumn flowering, Spring ones are ok in lime, others like acid.Its great to see you so keen, but take your time, these plants are a huge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. iveonlygotpots

things growing indoors getting big !!

The chives should be okay outside now..as they are very hardy...you will soon have them multiplying ..and end up like me with them everywhere..
    The chives should be okay outside now..as they are very hardy...you will soon have them multiplying ..and end up like me with them everywhere..
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Liz

watering the garden.

Liz - a quote from another site :-The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991 specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply can be restricted. It...
    Liz - a quote from another site :-The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991 specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply can be restricted. It is perfectly legal to connect a hosepipe to any reservoir such as a water butt.
    Liz - a quote from another site :-The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991 specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply can be restricted. It is perfectly legal to connect a hosepipe to any...
    Liz - a quote from another site :-The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991 specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply can be restricted. It...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. amberick

gardens

Go ahead Taffy. I have found the best way to learn is just to get stuck in. Mind you no cheating now - no taking an exotic bloom and carefully tying it to a different set of leaves. :DWhich...
    Go ahead Taffy. I have found the best way to learn is just to get stuck in. Mind you no cheating now - no taking an exotic bloom and carefully tying it to a different set of leaves. :DWhich reminds me of some friends, who has a silver wedding recently. Their children gave them a pair of...
    Go ahead Taffy. I have found the best way to learn is just to get stuck in. Mind you no cheating now - no taking an exotic bloom and carefully tying it to a different set of leaves. :DWhich reminds me of some friends, who has a silver...
    Go ahead Taffy. I have found the best way to learn is just to get stuck in. Mind you no cheating now - no taking an exotic bloom and carefully tying it to a different set of leaves. :DWhich...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Paladin

Easier planter!!

Just been and tied 'em to the supports every nine inches :D :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. dalbuie

mexican orange blossom

Thanks Tortuosa,I think I will take the flower buds off and hope for some quicker growth. The whole plant is getting ready to burst into life,I will try and get a pic when it does.
    Thanks Tortuosa,I think I will take the flower buds off and hope for some quicker growth. The whole plant is getting ready to burst into life,I will try and get a pic when it does.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. pinklady

muscari , grape hyacinth help?

I've found the best way to divide them is to dig up a clump and drop it in the bin.
    I've found the best way to divide them is to dig up a clump and drop it in the bin.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Liz

Aubretia

THanks guys - you just put a name to my most favourite plant in my garden!!! Doesn't go when it gets started!!
    THanks guys - you just put a name to my most favourite plant in my garden!!! Doesn't go when it gets started!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Liz

Seed germination

I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the...
    I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the seed comes up in 2/3 weeks and the rest 2/3 weeks later ... very annoying trying to prick out half a...
    I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the seed comes up in 2/3 weeks and the rest 2/3 weeks...
    I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. The Pea Of Sweetness

Egg shells

No MF, I haven't turned it yet. It's been in for about a month now - I'll give it a dig over this weekend - another job on the ever-increasing Bank Holiday list..! ;)
    No MF, I haven't turned it yet. It's been in for about a month now - I'll give it a dig over this weekend - another job on the ever-increasing Bank Holiday list..! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. darlie chimmock

northeast walls

thanks everyone - big help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. darlie chimmock

a bit of imagination

well waco you unmade the day you made the other day but thanks for the tips.might get john brook books at the library.thanks honey bee for your ideas, sounds good, cant wait to get started.cheers.
    well waco you unmade the day you made the other day but thanks for the tips.might get john brook books at the library.thanks honey bee for your ideas, sounds good, cant wait to get started.cheers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. marty 600

Getting rid of thorny Brambles.. without killing hedge!

A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way...
    A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way the plant is in contact with the weedkiller for a long period.The reason for suggesting Roundup or...
    A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way the plant is in contact with the weedkiller for a...
    A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Liz

Strange bird

this winter I was confined to quarters, so I had nothing better to do, but my great joy was to get fat from butchers render it down, mix it with wild bird seed and hang it in apple tree - oh the...
    this winter I was confined to quarters, so I had nothing better to do, but my great joy was to get fat from butchers render it down, mix it with wild bird seed and hang it in apple tree - oh the tits and woodpeckers saved me from depression all winter!not that we don't have loads of berryies...
    this winter I was confined to quarters, so I had nothing better to do, but my great joy was to get fat from butchers render it down, mix it with wild bird seed and hang it in apple tree - oh the tits and woodpeckers saved me from depression all...
    this winter I was confined to quarters, so I had nothing better to do, but my great joy was to get fat from butchers render it down, mix it with wild bird seed and hang it in apple tree - oh the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. mrssimmy

Help with choosing shrub

Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are...
    Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are you?As to your shadey area, is it all in containers? I used to hate my shady areas but now I have my...
    Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are you?As to your shadey area, is it all in...
    Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. geoff

Tubers

Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside...
    Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside show no sign of growth as yet.All are well watered and feeding started last week.
    Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside show no sign of growth as yet.All are well watered...
    Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Nic

Climber for really shady wall?

I will have a go at these names ?Armandii and cirhoco that I have in shade.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice