1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. JWK

Astilbe bare root - which way up to plant ?

Looking good, John!!
    Looking good, John!!
    Looking good, John!!
    Looking good, John!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Sian in Belgium
    Like x 15

What’s looking good in February 2020

March Thread HereWhat's Looking good in March 2020
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Upsydaisy

Can these be a pest....

Thanks @Jiffy and @NigelJ ,the more I learn about it the more I don't think I want it!!:heehee:
    Thanks @Jiffy and @NigelJ ,the more I learn about it the more I don't think I want it!!:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. r2oo

Pruning osteospermum ??

Thank you KFF for your reply & advice. I did wonder if it was too early so I appreciate you confirming this.
    Thank you KFF for your reply & advice. I did wonder if it was too early so I appreciate you confirming this.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SiW

Ideas for sloping front garden

Hi,As the other have said, you would save yourself a lot of messing around by getting rid of the grass.Instead of palnting between the flags you could grow herbs / flowers/bulbs in pots,...
    Hi,As the other have said, you would save yourself a lot of messing around by getting rid of the grass.Instead of palnting between the flags you could grow herbs / flowers/bulbs in pots, easier to move around etc.On a more practical note, do the retaining walls have any drain holes / weep...
    Hi,As the other have said, you would save yourself a lot of messing around by getting rid of the grass.Instead of palnting between the flags you could grow herbs / flowers/bulbs in pots, easier to move around etc.On a more practical note,...
    Hi,As the other have said, you would save yourself a lot of messing around by getting rid of the grass.Instead of palnting between the flags you could grow herbs / flowers/bulbs in pots,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Lesley Green

Hyacinth problem

Blue hyacinth in a fairly damp shady patch of garden, been there for many years
    1-20200301_125953.jpg 1-20200301_130000.jpg 1-20200301_130014.jpg Hyacinth 1.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Mark329

Hedge or something more exciting

I think you are right not to close off the view of the countryside to the back of your garden by planting a solid hedge. I can see an electric pylon to the left in one of the photos so a tree in...
    I think you are right not to close off the view of the countryside to the back of your garden by planting a solid hedge. I can see an electric pylon to the left in one of the photos so a tree in front of this might be appropriate but I would go for something that might not get very tall like a...
    I think you are right not to close off the view of the countryside to the back of your garden by planting a solid hedge. I can see an electric pylon to the left in one of the photos so a tree in front of this might be appropriate but I would go...
    I think you are right not to close off the view of the countryside to the back of your garden by planting a solid hedge. I can see an electric pylon to the left in one of the photos so a tree in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. KimG

Pittosporum Nana - is it self-seeding?

Thank you, Pete. I now think this is likely.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jack Sparrow

Daffodils

Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress...
    Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress of Ireland White Dream BroughshaneAll yellow -----Unsurpassable* Dutch master Bestseller King...
    Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress of Ireland White Dream BroughshaneAll yellow...
    Hi Jack ,I presume you mean true Daffodils ( that is having a large trumpet rather than a smaller cup ), these are the most common varieties..............All white ------Mount Hood * Empress...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. RobB

Dictamnus Fraxinella

Thanks mazambo, I couldn't find that advice so will be sowing them in the next day or so. :ThankYou:
    Thanks mazambo, I couldn't find that advice so will be sowing them in the next day or so. :ThankYou:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Wispymisty

Trachelospermum jasminoides question

Thanks, I just always feel so rude if I don't answer
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. andrews

Seed Lists / Spreadsheets

I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it...
    I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it useful to look back to previous years for when to sow, how long seeds take to germinate, light...
    I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it useful to look back to previous years for when to...
    I've got Excel OCD, keeping spreadsheets for all sorts of things especially to track what seeds I have, plot rotation, yields, taste, first cropping times. Been doing this since 2001, I find it...
    seeds.jpg upload_2020-3-12_22-48-26.png upload_2020-3-12_22-51-51.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Shyam

Japanese Acer - Orange dream

My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just...
    My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just wasting money. Mine are in ordinairy garden soil pH about 6-6.5 seldom get fed and grow well. The only...
    My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just wasting money. Mine are in ordinairy garden soil pH...
    My Acers are just beginning to wake up with buds swelling as Sian said "be patient", also I wouldn't use any fertiliser until it is growing strongly, as the plant cannot use it and you are just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. RoyP

Celandine removal

I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that...
    I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that using the Hoe worked well as it sliced through the Celandines and they haven't come back this year...
    I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that using the Hoe worked well as it sliced through the...
    I have found using a Dutch Hoe in the borders where I use the Hoe to cut the Celandine as it's in leaf. I did have a large patch of Celandines surrounding my Acer Brilliantissimum and found that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Steve R

In your opinion?

Weight of crop per seed sown?For me that's got to be Marrows with 100 lbs+ yield per plant.
    Weight of crop per seed sown?For me that's got to be Marrows with 100 lbs+ yield per plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kon

Training trachelospermum jasminoides

This was mine from last summer. It's a lot bigger now but I don't have any recent photos. Your plant will need some kind of framework to tie it to.G.
    This was mine from last summer. It's a lot bigger now but I don't have any recent photos. Your plant will need some kind of framework to tie it to.G.
    IMG_20200317_134203.jpg 20190707_123546.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Steve R
    Like x 6

Gardeners can help

Nice one Steve
    Nice one Steve
    Nice one Steve
    Nice one Steve
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Steve80

Boiled linseed oil

I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in...
    I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in a white spirit solution so was readily absorbed.
    I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in a white spirit solution so was readily absorbed.
    I think the nasties were, tributyltin and gamma HCH, Lindane ,that is off the top of my head, I did do some COSHH assessments a long time ago for the workshop, but it all got beyond me.:biggrin:It was in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ricky101

Suttons Summer Garden Planner 2020

Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full...
    Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full colour well presented A4 pages with seeds, plants and hardware, many a lot different from most...
    Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full colour well presented A4 pages with seeds, plants...
    Hi,Usually get several seed and plant catalogues this time of year, but just received Suttons Summer Garden Planner and it really is something else.Its the largest one we have seen, 120 full...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mazambo

fritillaria imperialis maxima bulbs?

Thanks @ARMANDII I'll start tomorrow, I always find doing once a week things at the weekend much easier to remember.:blue thumb:
    Thanks @ARMANDII I'll start tomorrow, I always find doing once a week things at the weekend much easier to remember.:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice