1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. susie e

outdoor pot plants

For a slightly different purpose, though! Liquid storage, fair enough, but just imagine the idea of the liquid being released as needed!!
    For a slightly different purpose, though! Liquid storage, fair enough, but just imagine the idea of the liquid being released as needed!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. bryred

basket fucshias

Upright or trailing I would plant them in 3"pots water and some feed,pinch out leading shoots to encourage bushy growth,when plants are more substantial then plant into basket,never let them dry...
    Upright or trailing I would plant them in 3"pots water and some feed,pinch out leading shoots to encourage bushy growth,when plants are more substantial then plant into basket,never let them dry out........Good Luck and very Welcolm to Gardeners Corner... [ 13. April 2006, 07:42 PM:...
    Upright or trailing I would plant them in 3"pots water and some feed,pinch out leading shoots to encourage bushy growth,when plants are more substantial then plant into basket,never let them dry out........Good Luck and very Welcolm to Gardeners...
    Upright or trailing I would plant them in 3"pots water and some feed,pinch out leading shoots to encourage bushy growth,when plants are more substantial then plant into basket,never let them dry...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. SarahInTheGarden

Poorly Escallonia

thanks very much for your replies, I will just keep an eye on it for now and see if it improves when/if the weather improves
    thanks very much for your replies, I will just keep an eye on it for now and see if it improves when/if the weather improves
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lazy-gardener

plants by mail order

if they're hardy perennials, and they've obviously been outside before you got them, then plant them now! (If you ave a slug problem, scatter slug pellets around them) BTW - put a label by them...
    if they're hardy perennials, and they've obviously been outside before you got them, then plant them now! (If you ave a slug problem, scatter slug pellets around them) BTW - put a label by them so you know where they are!!! If nothing else it stops you digging them up again, and people...
    if they're hardy perennials, and they've obviously been outside before you got them, then plant them now! (If you ave a slug problem, scatter slug pellets around them) BTW - put a label by them so you know where they are!!! If nothing else it...
    if they're hardy perennials, and they've obviously been outside before you got them, then plant them now! (If you ave a slug problem, scatter slug pellets around them) BTW - put a label by them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jerry Cornelius

Garrya elliptca

Like holly they have male and female plants. The male catkins are longer and more attractive whilst the females have dark purple berries later in the year.I was looking at one today and it's...
    Like holly they have male and female plants. The male catkins are longer and more attractive whilst the females have dark purple berries later in the year.I was looking at one today and it's planted beside a wall. The top that grows above the wall (6ft.)has suffered wind and frost damage but...
    Like holly they have male and female plants. The male catkins are longer and more attractive whilst the females have dark purple berries later in the year.I was looking at one today and it's planted beside a wall. The top that grows above the...
    Like holly they have male and female plants. The male catkins are longer and more attractive whilst the females have dark purple berries later in the year.I was looking at one today and it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. timecharger

what does Gone to Seed mean?

Triffids come to mind!!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. redfifi1717

Does a box hedge need feeding?

We've one about 15 feet long and trimmed to about four feet high. It gets fed if I remember to do it about once every three years. :rolleyes:I would guess that the answer is that it depends...
    We've one about 15 feet long and trimmed to about four feet high. It gets fed if I remember to do it about once every three years. :rolleyes:I would guess that the answer is that it depends on how rapidly you want it to grow. [ 12. April 2006, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Dave W ]
    We've one about 15 feet long and trimmed to about four feet high. It gets fed if I remember to do it about once every three years. :rolleyes:I would guess that the answer is that it depends on how rapidly you want it to grow. [ 12. April...
    We've one about 15 feet long and trimmed to about four feet high. It gets fed if I remember to do it about once every three years. :rolleyes:I would guess that the answer is that it depends...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sawfish

Crinodendron hookerianum

I used to be a housekeeper on the 'bonny banks of Loch Lomond', and in the garden there was a Crinodendron at least 30'high...first time I had ever seen one, and thought it was lovely! There was...
    I used to be a housekeeper on the 'bonny banks of Loch Lomond', and in the garden there was a Crinodendron at least 30'high...first time I had ever seen one, and thought it was lovely! There was another in the village but only about 10'high.
    I used to be a housekeeper on the 'bonny banks of Loch Lomond', and in the garden there was a Crinodendron at least 30'high...first time I had ever seen one, and thought it was lovely! There was another in the village but only about 10'high.
    I used to be a housekeeper on the 'bonny banks of Loch Lomond', and in the garden there was a Crinodendron at least 30'high...first time I had ever seen one, and thought it was lovely! There was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. DAVID1972

Boggy garden

what you have to work out is if its boggy all the time or boggy now then baked in summer. there are not many plants will cope with both, but loads will cope with bog, so take heart.willow great,...
    what you have to work out is if its boggy all the time or boggy now then baked in summer. there are not many plants will cope with both, but loads will cope with bog, so take heart.willow great, and there are some very small varieties. also cornus - great winter coloured stema if you pick righ...
    what you have to work out is if its boggy all the time or boggy now then baked in summer. there are not many plants will cope with both, but loads will cope with bog, so take heart.willow great, and there are some very small varieties. also...
    what you have to work out is if its boggy all the time or boggy now then baked in summer. there are not many plants will cope with both, but loads will cope with bog, so take heart.willow great,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. leejames

Advice needed

Thanks everyone for your advice. Will have a go at cutting them down to more suitable height! May come back for more advice! Many thanks.
    Thanks everyone for your advice. Will have a go at cutting them down to more suitable height! May come back for more advice! Many thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sawfish

Sea Buckthorn berries

that's a really useful site, Froggy - I googled earlier and came up with nothing very useful - just the description of the plant, nothing about m/f differences - (not even where the tail is!!) ;) ...
    that's a really useful site, Froggy - I googled earlier and came up with nothing very useful - just the description of the plant, nothing about m/f differences - (not even where the tail is!!) ;) It's a great plant tho - very useful in a native hedge in particular
    that's a really useful site, Froggy - I googled earlier and came up with nothing very useful - just the description of the plant, nothing about m/f differences - (not even where the tail is!!) ;) It's a great plant tho - very useful in a native...
    that's a really useful site, Froggy - I googled earlier and came up with nothing very useful - just the description of the plant, nothing about m/f differences - (not even where the tail is!!) ;) ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Nibus

Hedge

Hedging.co.uk is very good for mail order - or at least I've found them so. I ordered some BERBERIS JULIANAE which is now waiting to go in - that's an evergreen, prickly as anything! they're only...
    Hedging.co.uk is very good for mail order - or at least I've found them so. I ordered some BERBERIS JULIANAE which is now waiting to go in - that's an evergreen, prickly as anything! they're only a foot high and already covered in spines! :D
    Hedging.co.uk is very good for mail order - or at least I've found them so. I ordered some BERBERIS JULIANAE which is now waiting to go in - that's an evergreen, prickly as anything! they're only a foot high and already covered in spines! :D
    Hedging.co.uk is very good for mail order - or at least I've found them so. I ordered some BERBERIS JULIANAE which is now waiting to go in - that's an evergreen, prickly as anything! they're only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Waco

Podophylya

THANKS! now know what to look for, I realy would like to try re stock from the fruit if possible.did not know it was poisonus, not surprising as the big orange fruit looks to delicious.
    THANKS! now know what to look for, I realy would like to try re stock from the fruit if possible.did not know it was poisonus, not surprising as the big orange fruit looks to delicious.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Farnsy

Copper in plants

Hi Charlie - I'm assuming you mean Box.English Box (Latin name Buxus sempervirens) is a small native British tree, it thrives naturally on chalk downland or limestone soil. Slow growing and...
    Hi Charlie - I'm assuming you mean Box.English Box (Latin name Buxus sempervirens) is a small native British tree, it thrives naturally on chalk downland or limestone soil. Slow growing and small leaved it is particularly usefull for topiary or formal hedges. There are also golden leaved...
    Hi Charlie - I'm assuming you mean Box.English Box (Latin name Buxus sempervirens) is a small native British tree, it thrives naturally on chalk downland or limestone soil. Slow growing and small leaved it is particularly usefull for topiary or...
    Hi Charlie - I'm assuming you mean Box.English Box (Latin name Buxus sempervirens) is a small native British tree, it thrives naturally on chalk downland or limestone soil. Slow growing and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. wishaw

Getting ready for planting now...

sorry could not get link - but just went to amazon and bought another of his two books AAhhhhh.... He was a musician (as am I) so got "well tempered gardined" will have to see how it compares to...
    sorry could not get link - but just went to amazon and bought another of his two books AAhhhhh.... He was a musician (as am I) so got "well tempered gardined" will have to see how it compares to Bach! not bark ;)
    sorry could not get link - but just went to amazon and bought another of his two books AAhhhhh.... He was a musician (as am I) so got "well tempered gardined" will have to see how it compares to Bach! not bark ;)
    sorry could not get link - but just went to amazon and bought another of his two books AAhhhhh.... He was a musician (as am I) so got "well tempered gardined" will have to see how it compares to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. grinch

musa basjoo

thanks for reply pete 13 deg is min temp its been there about 2 months been told they need lots of water & feed but not sure how much & when Also got a dicksonia antartica one with a good root...
    thanks for reply pete 13 deg is min temp its been there about 2 months been told they need lots of water & feed but not sure how much & when Also got a dicksonia antartica one with a good root ball that seems to be doing ok sorry can not get picture to upload will try again later
    thanks for reply pete 13 deg is min temp its been there about 2 months been told they need lots of water & feed but not sure how much & when Also got a dicksonia antartica one with a good root ball that seems to be doing ok sorry can not get...
    thanks for reply pete 13 deg is min temp its been there about 2 months been told they need lots of water & feed but not sure how much & when Also got a dicksonia antartica one with a good root...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. LadeeLilly

N E 1 know anything about Calla Lillies???

Normaly speaking the Calla Lily is a repeat flowering perennial and can go outside in the summer. Have seen them outside many times - no problems in cutting the dead flowers off.
    Normaly speaking the Calla Lily is a repeat flowering perennial and can go outside in the summer. Have seen them outside many times - no problems in cutting the dead flowers off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. anne

daffodiles

thank u i think my husband may of mowed too soon as we had a lovely display last year it was the first year of them being in the garden they are well seperated
    thank u i think my husband may of mowed too soon as we had a lovely display last year it was the first year of them being in the garden they are well seperated
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. madaboutbulbs

Muscarii

Many thanks Palustris - I'll give it a go. Oh yes, and commiserations to frogesque - I promise you they are like the proverbial bad penny. They ALWAYS turn up every spring !! Well, maybe not next...
    Many thanks Palustris - I'll give it a go. Oh yes, and commiserations to frogesque - I promise you they are like the proverbial bad penny. They ALWAYS turn up every spring !! Well, maybe not next spring - now where's that Roundup ? :rolleyes:
    Many thanks Palustris - I'll give it a go. Oh yes, and commiserations to frogesque - I promise you they are like the proverbial bad penny. They ALWAYS turn up every spring !! Well, maybe not next spring - now where's that Roundup ? :rolleyes:
    Many thanks Palustris - I'll give it a go. Oh yes, and commiserations to frogesque - I promise you they are like the proverbial bad penny. They ALWAYS turn up every spring !! Well, maybe not next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. wishaw

Gorse

lovely picture, Waco! I love stuff growing so naturally! If you want to, you can edit your post, delete the photo, and put in the reduced version! But such a nice picture looks good that big! :D
    lovely picture, Waco! I love stuff growing so naturally! If you want to, you can edit your post, delete the photo, and put in the reduced version! But such a nice picture looks good that big! :D
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice