1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Lady Gardener

the steam roller effect

If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand...
    If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand top dressing. Make sure any builder's rubble or block chips are out of the grass before putting a...
    If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand top dressing. Make sure any builder's rubble or...
    If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. McGardener

1st question: perfume plants that like shade

You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the...
    You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the summer
    You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the summer
    You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Julekha

February 2006 What to do?

Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends...
    Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends on the soil your gardening on - if its sandy loam, it could benefit from a layer of well rotted...
    Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends on the soil your gardening on - if its sandy loam,...
    Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. etones

Plan sprouting bulbs?

absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever,...
    absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever, is best - then, if you want to keep your beds tidy, all you have to do is lift them, put them...
    absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever, is best - then, if you want to keep your beds tidy,...
    absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PeterS

Primrose progress

Thanks nixonf23 for your help. Like most gardening questions I suppose the answer is try it and see.
    Thanks nixonf23 for your help. Like most gardening questions I suppose the answer is try it and see.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Dave Martin

dunno if this is the right place to write this but..

get the hoe ready - and suddenly you're doing organic gardening- the stale seed-bed system!!
    get the hoe ready - and suddenly you're doing organic gardening- the stale seed-bed system!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Liz

Wisteria

That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay...
    That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay more! :eek:
    That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay more! :eek:
    That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Gardener Claire

Can I dig up bulbs now?

hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after...
    hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after Christmas that it was his and was gonna move fence forward a foot so i waited till tips came through...
    hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after Christmas that it was his and was gonna move fence...
    hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. grinch

seeds

Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium,...
    Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium, Armeria, Delphinium, Oenothera, Verbena, Viola etc that like that. Mind you I have grown Armeria and...
    Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium, Armeria, Delphinium, Oenothera, Verbena, Viola etc that...
    Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. barneyb

clematis for coastal garden

I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act...
    I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act together they grew new stong shoots out in all directions. Just seen my pink Crocuses up bit...
    I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act together they grew new stong shoots out in all...
    I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. si_rich

over growen brambles

alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works,...
    alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works, and eventually kills it all off. It does take quite a while though!
    alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works, and eventually kills it all off. It does take...
    alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. bubbly

peat moss & garden peat????

moss is great stuff for putting on top of a hanging basket to make it look good and keep water in - BUT - anything with peat connections is suspect these days, and we're all asvised to find...
    moss is great stuff for putting on top of a hanging basket to make it look good and keep water in - BUT - anything with peat connections is suspect these days, and we're all asvised to find alternatives. It's generally sphagnum moss - which ios the real peat moss. Peat in your compost - same...
    moss is great stuff for putting on top of a hanging basket to make it look good and keep water in - BUT - anything with peat connections is suspect these days, and we're all asvised to find alternatives. It's generally sphagnum moss - which ios...
    moss is great stuff for putting on top of a hanging basket to make it look good and keep water in - BUT - anything with peat connections is suspect these days, and we're all asvised to find...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. pumpkinsoup

something to cover a 4ft fence and nosey neighbours!

Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading...
    Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading and then you just pick the type according to the height you are after.I think something like...
    Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading and then you just pick the type according to the...
    Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterS

Day Lilies - longflowering?

I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just...
    I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just phenomenal! The besty I've seen is right throught he summer period in Hemel Hempstead - from June...
    I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just phenomenal! The besty I've seen is right throught he...
    I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. LCH

Gladioli

They need rich well drained soil in a sunny spot. Some people put a bed of sharp sand or gravel underneath them when planting. It depends on the nature of you soil, mine is well drained so I do...
    They need rich well drained soil in a sunny spot. Some people put a bed of sharp sand or gravel underneath them when planting. It depends on the nature of you soil, mine is well drained so I do not need to. Planting depths are generally reckoned to be such that you have three times the height of...
    They need rich well drained soil in a sunny spot. Some people put a bed of sharp sand or gravel underneath them when planting. It depends on the nature of you soil, mine is well drained so I do not need to. Planting depths are generally reckoned...
    They need rich well drained soil in a sunny spot. Some people put a bed of sharp sand or gravel underneath them when planting. It depends on the nature of you soil, mine is well drained so I do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. woody393

garden design

I would agree with Fran. Try to get an idea of what style you like. Modern, formal, cottage garden, big open space for kids, shrubs, or flowers etc. I did this by looking through pictures in...
    I would agree with Fran. Try to get an idea of what style you like. Modern, formal, cottage garden, big open space for kids, shrubs, or flowers etc. I did this by looking through pictures in books.Is the house at the top, with the garden falling away? Or is the house at the bottom looking...
    I would agree with Fran. Try to get an idea of what style you like. Modern, formal, cottage garden, big open space for kids, shrubs, or flowers etc. I did this by looking through pictures in books.Is the house at the top, with the garden...
    I would agree with Fran. Try to get an idea of what style you like. Modern, formal, cottage garden, big open space for kids, shrubs, or flowers etc. I did this by looking through pictures in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Blockwell

New garden

Blockwell - not sure how long your intending to keep it - weather will degrade it, and weeds will colonise the rest if not stored appropriately. But if your talking about a few months, then should...
    Blockwell - not sure how long your intending to keep it - weather will degrade it, and weeds will colonise the rest if not stored appropriately. But if your talking about a few months, then should be ok'ish.
    Blockwell - not sure how long your intending to keep it - weather will degrade it, and weeds will colonise the rest if not stored appropriately. But if your talking about a few months, then should be ok'ish.
    Blockwell - not sure how long your intending to keep it - weather will degrade it, and weeds will colonise the rest if not stored appropriately. But if your talking about a few months, then should...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. net2379

Ixia viridiflora

net2379 As far as I can see Ixia Viridiflora flowers May/June... put it in google ... second site is "how to grow ixia viridiflora" hope this helps (apart from sourcing)
    net2379 As far as I can see Ixia Viridiflora flowers May/June... put it in google ... second site is "how to grow ixia viridiflora" hope this helps (apart from sourcing)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sandy

Books

don't forget Amazon's USED books as well. You'll pay postage but the books may be cheaper.
    don't forget Amazon's USED books as well. You'll pay postage but the books may be cheaper.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. alan

flower pouches

hi pixie they are made of strong plastic they have washed up well.they did look nice last year but thought id have a go with million bells this year but werent sure how many to use per bag because...
    hi pixie they are made of strong plastic they have washed up well.they did look nice last year but thought id have a go with million bells this year but werent sure how many to use per bag because i've been told million bells spread quite alot cheers alan
    hi pixie they are made of strong plastic they have washed up well.they did look nice last year but thought id have a go with million bells this year but werent sure how many to use per bag because i've been told million bells spread quite...
    hi pixie they are made of strong plastic they have washed up well.they did look nice last year but thought id have a go with million bells this year but werent sure how many to use per bag because...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice