1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. SteveW

More frosts

Liz, lovely pics. We've got a few fuscias surviving too but don't know if the next few days will finish them off.A little frost I don't mind but SNOW - I hate it. Roll on Springtime!
    Liz, lovely pics. We've got a few fuscias surviving too but don't know if the next few days will finish them off.A little frost I don't mind but SNOW - I hate it. Roll on Springtime!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Liz B

Garden Sheds!

Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still...
    Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still find it odd that the door doesn't open fully, it would only take another 2-3ins height to resolve the...
    Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still find it odd that the door doesn't open fully, it...
    Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. susieh

How to use Fleece?

I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the...
    I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the temperature drops just for a couple of hours or so.
    I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the temperature drops just for a couple of hours or so.
    I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Fran

Snowdrops

Sounds like they flowered off the bulb the first year, but weren't able to rebuild that bulb after flowering. Maybe after two years, they will have built up enough to flower in 2006 if the...
    Sounds like they flowered off the bulb the first year, but weren't able to rebuild that bulb after flowering. Maybe after two years, they will have built up enough to flower in 2006 if the conditions are right.
    Sounds like they flowered off the bulb the first year, but weren't able to rebuild that bulb after flowering. Maybe after two years, they will have built up enough to flower in 2006 if the conditions are right.
    Sounds like they flowered off the bulb the first year, but weren't able to rebuild that bulb after flowering. Maybe after two years, they will have built up enough to flower in 2006 if the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Zeb

Pampas Grass Care

I once planted a 9cm pot of pampas grass in the top of a 4inch wide x 5ft long drainpipe filled with compost. Over the course of one season it rooted right through into the ground & formed a...
    I once planted a 9cm pot of pampas grass in the top of a 4inch wide x 5ft long drainpipe filled with compost. Over the course of one season it rooted right through into the ground & formed a 'pampas palm tree'. It had a very sturdy stake to hold it up & ivy growing up the 'trunk'. Weirdly...
    I once planted a 9cm pot of pampas grass in the top of a 4inch wide x 5ft long drainpipe filled with compost. Over the course of one season it rooted right through into the ground & formed a 'pampas palm tree'. It had a very sturdy stake to hold...
    I once planted a 9cm pot of pampas grass in the top of a 4inch wide x 5ft long drainpipe filled with compost. Over the course of one season it rooted right through into the ground & formed a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. sez

Help needed

Saw him on a tv prog recently - can't remember when/where - but it was his last RHS show so might have been a repeat. His display of veg was spectacular, though. Pity I'd not heard of him before....
    Saw him on a tv prog recently - can't remember when/where - but it was his last RHS show so might have been a repeat. His display of veg was spectacular, though. Pity I'd not heard of him before. BTW he got a gold, of course!
    Saw him on a tv prog recently - can't remember when/where - but it was his last RHS show so might have been a repeat. His display of veg was spectacular, though. Pity I'd not heard of him before. BTW he got a gold, of course!
    Saw him on a tv prog recently - can't remember when/where - but it was his last RHS show so might have been a repeat. His display of veg was spectacular, though. Pity I'd not heard of him before....
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Rich

Dead coleus.

Now that's annoying. I go away for a few days and when I get back home I find the garden is looking much like I left it.The coleus and daturas are looking fine in my sheltered bed and the...
    Now that's annoying. I go away for a few days and when I get back home I find the garden is looking much like I left it.The coleus and daturas are looking fine in my sheltered bed and the American Elephant ears are still fine, but...At the end of the garden there is a bed of coleus grown...
    Now that's annoying. I go away for a few days and when I get back home I find the garden is looking much like I left it.The coleus and daturas are looking fine in my sheltered bed and the American Elephant ears are still fine, but...At the...
    Now that's annoying. I go away for a few days and when I get back home I find the garden is looking much like I left it.The coleus and daturas are looking fine in my sheltered bed and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. floris

killer frost?

Hi, outside temp here has not risen above 5deg. C since 16th. All looks very pretty and still freezing tonight, though only -3. My outside cyclamen flowers in window box are wilted but leaves are...
    Hi, outside temp here has not risen above 5deg. C since 16th. All looks very pretty and still freezing tonight, though only -3. My outside cyclamen flowers in window box are wilted but leaves are fine. I think the rate at which things thaw has a lot to do with damage, these catch early morning...
    Hi, outside temp here has not risen above 5deg. C since 16th. All looks very pretty and still freezing tonight, though only -3. My outside cyclamen flowers in window box are wilted but leaves are fine. I think the rate at which things thaw has a...
    Hi, outside temp here has not risen above 5deg. C since 16th. All looks very pretty and still freezing tonight, though only -3. My outside cyclamen flowers in window box are wilted but leaves are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Charlie

Potentilla leaf drop

Well, they are supposed to be deciduous, so yes it is normal. they may have stayed green over the last few winters becaue of the mildness of the weather.
    Well, they are supposed to be deciduous, so yes it is normal. they may have stayed green over the last few winters becaue of the mildness of the weather.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Economiser

Chamaerops (Dwarf fan palm)

It came from a friend who now has no where to put it now he has moved. He got it from a garden centre where they said it was hardy, but who knows? He had it outside under a verandah but lived in...
    It came from a friend who now has no where to put it now he has moved. He got it from a garden centre where they said it was hardy, but who knows? He had it outside under a verandah but lived in town whereas we are out in the sticks. Its in a big pot, very difficult to move, and I intend to...
    It came from a friend who now has no where to put it now he has moved. He got it from a garden centre where they said it was hardy, but who knows? He had it outside under a verandah but lived in town whereas we are out in the sticks. Its in a...
    It came from a friend who now has no where to put it now he has moved. He got it from a garden centre where they said it was hardy, but who knows? He had it outside under a verandah but lived in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Charlie

Pale leaves on Cyclamen plants

Ok thanks all for that I'm going to move them into a window to get more light and try the rainwater theory - I'll also cut off the pale leaves. Most of them are the larger older leaves however not...
    Ok thanks all for that I'm going to move them into a window to get more light and try the rainwater theory - I'll also cut off the pale leaves. Most of them are the larger older leaves however not all.
    Ok thanks all for that I'm going to move them into a window to get more light and try the rainwater theory - I'll also cut off the pale leaves. Most of them are the larger older leaves however not all.
    Ok thanks all for that I'm going to move them into a window to get more light and try the rainwater theory - I'll also cut off the pale leaves. Most of them are the larger older leaves however not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pumpkinsoup

help plz 4 a total newbie!!

o i did see on the tv gardening program, a garden with an acute angle as you have .. it was made a feature, using a nice fence, and a garden statue ps be careful with "rockeries"..... in an...
    o i did see on the tv gardening program, a garden with an acute angle as you have .. it was made a feature, using a nice fence, and a garden statue ps be careful with "rockeries"..... in an average urban garden these often tend to be heaps of soil and stones,, which have little merit and...
    o i did see on the tv gardening program, a garden with an acute angle as you have .. it was made a feature, using a nice fence, and a garden statue ps be careful with "rockeries"..... in an average urban garden these often tend to be heaps of...
    o i did see on the tv gardening program, a garden with an acute angle as you have .. it was made a feature, using a nice fence, and a garden statue ps be careful with "rockeries"..... in an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. suedobie

Look at these

Its all a bit strange whats happened this year, we seem to have moved into winter all of a sudden. I noticed today that a euphorbia that i have which normally flowers about march, is already...
    Its all a bit strange whats happened this year, we seem to have moved into winter all of a sudden. I noticed today that a euphorbia that i have which normally flowers about march, is already opening its flowers, and a rhododendron seems to be breaking its buds. Dont know what effect its going...
    Its all a bit strange whats happened this year, we seem to have moved into winter all of a sudden. I noticed today that a euphorbia that i have which normally flowers about march, is already opening its flowers, and a rhododendron seems to be...
    Its all a bit strange whats happened this year, we seem to have moved into winter all of a sudden. I noticed today that a euphorbia that i have which normally flowers about march, is already...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. acra24

My spring bulbs have sprung

Hi acra24 Weren't gardening express having a bit of a reorganisation a few weeks ago...or something like that, I received my 50 free tulips bulbs from them a few weeks ago, they came really...
    Hi acra24 Weren't gardening express having a bit of a reorganisation a few weeks ago...or something like that, I received my 50 free tulips bulbs from them a few weeks ago, they came really quickly Gillx
    Hi acra24 Weren't gardening express having a bit of a reorganisation a few weeks ago...or something like that, I received my 50 free tulips bulbs from them a few weeks ago, they came really quickly Gillx
    Hi acra24 Weren't gardening express having a bit of a reorganisation a few weeks ago...or something like that, I received my 50 free tulips bulbs from them a few weeks ago, they came really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. dalbuie

wandering

I knew the feeling three weeks ago Michaelmas Daisy. Now I am luxuriating in early retirement - my garden may even be straight for spring for the first time ever. It is truly amazing to plan...
    I knew the feeling three weeks ago Michaelmas Daisy. Now I am luxuriating in early retirement - my garden may even be straight for spring for the first time ever. It is truly amazing to plan things by the weather - rather than cramming the must do's (inside and out) in at the weekend. Now just...
    I knew the feeling three weeks ago Michaelmas Daisy. Now I am luxuriating in early retirement - my garden may even be straight for spring for the first time ever. It is truly amazing to plan things by the weather - rather than cramming the must...
    I knew the feeling three weeks ago Michaelmas Daisy. Now I am luxuriating in early retirement - my garden may even be straight for spring for the first time ever. It is truly amazing to plan...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Mollyg

Winter Window Box

A London window box may be OK planted or stocked now, subject to it getting enough sunlight and indeed warmth from the window. What kind of herbs was he thinking of - cullinary, colour or ????
    A London window box may be OK planted or stocked now, subject to it getting enough sunlight and indeed warmth from the window. What kind of herbs was he thinking of - cullinary, colour or ????
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Rich

Morning glory seedlings

Hi Rich , One nights' frost and my pot of morning glory and thunbergia looks like your trellis. Good thing is seedlings do too!
    Hi Rich , One nights' frost and my pot of morning glory and thunbergia looks like your trellis. Good thing is seedlings do too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fi

Pruning and cutting back

o sry. yes geraniums won t overwinter but are easy to keep in the house..... shake soil of roots, spray with bug gun and re pot, water minimum and take cuttings
    o sry. yes geraniums won t overwinter but are easy to keep in the house..... shake soil of roots, spray with bug gun and re pot, water minimum and take cuttings
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Nic S

which way should it face

yes def avoid shade otherwise i d put it where it looks natural... a little path leading to a feature.....also a cold frame will double your plant raising cabability
    yes def avoid shade otherwise i d put it where it looks natural... a little path leading to a feature.....also a cold frame will double your plant raising cabability
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gerry171251

Overgrown garden

as a jobbing gardener i am often overfaced with overgrown gardens and no idea how much work is involved at the start........ if it is really bad i suggest you get a good gardener to sort out the...
    as a jobbing gardener i am often overfaced with overgrown gardens and no idea how much work is involved at the start........ if it is really bad i suggest you get a good gardener to sort out the worst of it and get advice on plants to plant i use professional hand tools, not the cut price off...
    as a jobbing gardener i am often overfaced with overgrown gardens and no idea how much work is involved at the start........ if it is really bad i suggest you get a good gardener to sort out the worst of it and get advice on plants to plant i use...
    as a jobbing gardener i am often overfaced with overgrown gardens and no idea how much work is involved at the start........ if it is really bad i suggest you get a good gardener to sort out the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice