1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. clueless1

There's a bargain to be had

Had to go to Tescos. I thought I'd have a look at the magazines while there.I found one called 'Kitchen Garden' for £4.95, which comes with 10 packets of herb seeds, which I think is not bad....
    Had to go to Tescos. I thought I'd have a look at the magazines while there.I found one called 'Kitchen Garden' for £4.95, which comes with 10 packets of herb seeds, which I think is not bad. But also you can get 24 strawberry plants for nothing except the £4.05 P&P. I think that's not such a...
    Had to go to Tescos. I thought I'd have a look at the magazines while there.I found one called 'Kitchen Garden' for £4.95, which comes with 10 packets of herb seeds, which I think is not bad. But also you can get 24 strawberry plants for...
    Had to go to Tescos. I thought I'd have a look at the magazines while there.I found one called 'Kitchen Garden' for £4.95, which comes with 10 packets of herb seeds, which I think is not bad....
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. AndrewBarratt

Autumn Sown Onions

Hi gang, last autumn I sowed onion sets for the first time as opposed to spring planting. Anyone have any idea about when I can expect to harvest them as I'd ideally like to pop in my purple...
    Hi gang, last autumn I sowed onion sets for the first time as opposed to spring planting. Anyone have any idea about when I can expect to harvest them as I'd ideally like to pop in my purple sprouting into the spot they occupySent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Hi gang, last autumn I sowed onion sets for the first time as opposed to spring planting. Anyone have any idea about when I can expect to harvest them as I'd ideally like to pop in my purple sprouting into the spot they occupySent from my...
    Hi gang, last autumn I sowed onion sets for the first time as opposed to spring planting. Anyone have any idea about when I can expect to harvest them as I'd ideally like to pop in my purple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Madahhlia

Wilko's bulbs half price

Went in today, all the flower and veg bulbs/tubers are reduced. Spuds, dahlias, begonias, freesias, onions, lilies, glads and more. Mostly looking still perfectly viable but check them out carefully!
    Went in today, all the flower and veg bulbs/tubers are reduced. Spuds, dahlias, begonias, freesias, onions, lilies, glads and more. Mostly looking still perfectly viable but check them out carefully!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Sheal

Arctotis

I've grown Arctotis 'Harlequin' from seed and size wise they are ready to be hardened off and planted out. Thinking it's too early, do I risk it or pot them on again?
    I've grown Arctotis 'Harlequin' from seed and size wise they are ready to be hardened off and planted out. Thinking it's too early, do I risk it or pot them on again?
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Bilbo675

Family Bargains Plants

Not to be mistaken with Home Bargains or B&M, but if anyone has a Family Bargains (aka 99p Store) near them they are selling 10pk trays of plants at the moment for £2.49, they have pansies that...
    Not to be mistaken with Home Bargains or B&M, but if anyone has a Family Bargains (aka 99p Store) near them they are selling 10pk trays of plants at the moment for £2.49, they have pansies that are big enough to be used straight away but also have trays of young geraniums, dahlias, begonias etc,...
    Not to be mistaken with Home Bargains or B&M, but if anyone has a Family Bargains (aka 99p Store) near them they are selling 10pk trays of plants at the moment for £2.49, they have pansies that are big enough to be used straight away but also...
    Not to be mistaken with Home Bargains or B&M, but if anyone has a Family Bargains (aka 99p Store) near them they are selling 10pk trays of plants at the moment for £2.49, they have pansies that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Madahhlia

Getting a cotoneaster out

I am grubbing out a cotoneaster, I think it's a franchetti. Although it's fairly small because I have hacked it ruthlessly for years it has a good big trunk about 5/6" across. I've been digging...
    I am grubbing out a cotoneaster, I think it's a franchetti. Although it's fairly small because I have hacked it ruthlessly for years it has a good big trunk about 5/6" across. I've been digging down around this, cutting off any roots I can find but it doesn't really want to come out of the...
    I am grubbing out a cotoneaster, I think it's a franchetti. Although it's fairly small because I have hacked it ruthlessly for years it has a good big trunk about 5/6" across. I've been digging down around this, cutting off any roots I can find...
    I am grubbing out a cotoneaster, I think it's a franchetti. Although it's fairly small because I have hacked it ruthlessly for years it has a good big trunk about 5/6" across. I've been digging...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. merleworld

New gardening show on the Beeb

Just saw this about a new show called The Big Allotment Challenge. Might be worth a shufty :)
    Just saw this about a new show called The Big Allotment Challenge. Might be worth a shufty :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kristen

Jungle Plants has some plants to sell

Jungle Plants closed last autumn (retirement), although Jungle Seeds continues on ...Had an email today that there are a few plants left - presumably left overs from last season (although some...
    Jungle Plants closed last autumn (retirement), although Jungle Seeds continues on ...Had an email today that there are a few plants left - presumably left overs from last season (although some are marked as "New for 2014" )Anyways, if you missed out getting an Ensete montbeliardii, or...
    Jungle Plants closed last autumn (retirement), although Jungle Seeds continues on ...Had an email today that there are a few plants left - presumably left overs from last season (although some are marked as "New for 2014" )Anyways, if you...
    Jungle Plants closed last autumn (retirement), although Jungle Seeds continues on ...Had an email today that there are a few plants left - presumably left overs from last season (although some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Gazania

British gardens in time.

Just spotted this starts on bbc4 next Tuesday at 9pm.Might be worth a look.Gazania
    Just spotted this starts on bbc4 next Tuesday at 9pm.Might be worth a look.Gazania
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Rich garden

New garden. please help.

Hi everyoneI posted on the ' new garden project' section but not sure if many people look at that bit. I have a completely new garden with nothing in the borders. If possible I would like a...
    Hi everyoneI posted on the ' new garden project' section but not sure if many people look at that bit. I have a completely new garden with nothing in the borders. If possible I would like a garden that has interest in all 4 season's. If that is possible. I have posted all the pics in the...
    Hi everyoneI posted on the ' new garden project' section but not sure if many people look at that bit. I have a completely new garden with nothing in the borders. If possible I would like a garden that has interest in all 4 season's. If that...
    Hi everyoneI posted on the ' new garden project' section but not sure if many people look at that bit. I have a completely new garden with nothing in the borders. If possible I would like a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. TurnedThespian

Late Frost Casualties

I had to go away for two weeks to work, and before I left it looked like spring had arrived; everything in the garden was doing nicely. I'd had a few plants in a makeshift greenhouse over winter...
    I had to go away for two weeks to work, and before I left it looked like spring had arrived; everything in the garden was doing nicely. I'd had a few plants in a makeshift greenhouse over winter (not anticipating how mild winter would be), which I'd taken out of the greenhouse, but left strict...
    I had to go away for two weeks to work, and before I left it looked like spring had arrived; everything in the garden was doing nicely. I'd had a few plants in a makeshift greenhouse over winter (not anticipating how mild winter would be), which...
    I had to go away for two weeks to work, and before I left it looked like spring had arrived; everything in the garden was doing nicely. I'd had a few plants in a makeshift greenhouse over winter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Noushynoo

Spacing Lavandula angustifolia shrubs

I planted 3 Lavandula angustifolia in a triangular layout.When purchasing, they said they were not hidcote or munstead, but French. The scent of the leaves are very strong. Really amazing. The...
    I planted 3 Lavandula angustifolia in a triangular layout.When purchasing, they said they were not hidcote or munstead, but French. The scent of the leaves are very strong. Really amazing. The description said their width would be 12o cm. I planted them with about 60cm apart. My mum says they...
    I planted 3 Lavandula angustifolia in a triangular layout.When purchasing, they said they were not hidcote or munstead, but French. The scent of the leaves are very strong. Really amazing. The description said their width would be 12o cm. I...
    I planted 3 Lavandula angustifolia in a triangular layout.When purchasing, they said they were not hidcote or munstead, but French. The scent of the leaves are very strong. Really amazing. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Philip Hughes

Santolina rosmarinifolia - bee friendly?

Hi everyone,I have received today the latest catalogue from my local garden centre and they suggest pairing lavendar with santolina rosmarinifolia claiming that the 'drifts of yellow and purple...
    Hi everyone,I have received today the latest catalogue from my local garden centre and they suggest pairing lavendar with santolina rosmarinifolia claiming that the 'drifts of yellow and purple will be covered in bees and butterflies all summer.' However, I can find no confirmation anywhere...
    Hi everyone,I have received today the latest catalogue from my local garden centre and they suggest pairing lavendar with santolina rosmarinifolia claiming that the 'drifts of yellow and purple will be covered in bees and butterflies all...
    Hi everyone,I have received today the latest catalogue from my local garden centre and they suggest pairing lavendar with santolina rosmarinifolia claiming that the 'drifts of yellow and purple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. rustyroots

Nursery bed or wildflower bed?

Hi All,I need to put a new path in by the veg beds as I didn't make it wide enough first time. I am replacing the gravel with slabs. The idea was to put a wild flower bed next to it that would...
    Hi All,I need to put a new path in by the veg beds as I didn't make it wide enough first time. I am replacing the gravel with slabs. The idea was to put a wild flower bed next to it that would be 2ft x 4ft, but I am now thinking of using it for a nursery bed but do not really know too much...
    Hi All,I need to put a new path in by the veg beds as I didn't make it wide enough first time. I am replacing the gravel with slabs. The idea was to put a wild flower bed next to it that would be 2ft x 4ft, but I am now thinking of using it...
    Hi All,I need to put a new path in by the veg beds as I didn't make it wide enough first time. I am replacing the gravel with slabs. The idea was to put a wild flower bed next to it that would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. adamsh

Feed

Hi All,In addition to the maxicrop seaweed liquid, should I feed the lawn with anything else? I noticed these 2 online, I dont have any weeds or moss so dont need a weed killer combo, would...
    Hi All,In addition to the maxicrop seaweed liquid, should I feed the lawn with anything else? I noticed these 2 online, I dont have any weeds or moss so dont need a weed killer combo, would either be ok?Last year I fed the lawn every 4 to 6 weeks with the Miracle gro product below....
    Hi All,In addition to the maxicrop seaweed liquid, should I feed the lawn with anything else? I noticed these 2 online, I dont have any weeds or moss so dont need a weed killer combo, would either be ok?Last year I fed the lawn every 4 to...
    Hi All,In addition to the maxicrop seaweed liquid, should I feed the lawn with anything else? I noticed these 2 online, I dont have any weeds or moss so dont need a weed killer combo, would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Qazzian

Privet Hedge has brown spots

Hi, I was hoping for some advice. I've just noticed today that my privet hedge has brown spots on the leaves. It seems to be very established across all the plants in the hedge.I have attached a...
    Hi, I was hoping for some advice. I've just noticed today that my privet hedge has brown spots on the leaves. It seems to be very established across all the plants in the hedge.I have attached a photo of one of the leaves. If anyone knows what the problem is and any pointers on how to deal...
    Hi, I was hoping for some advice. I've just noticed today that my privet hedge has brown spots on the leaves. It seems to be very established across all the plants in the hedge.I have attached a photo of one of the leaves. If anyone knows what...
    Hi, I was hoping for some advice. I've just noticed today that my privet hedge has brown spots on the leaves. It seems to be very established across all the plants in the hedge.I have attached a...
    privetHedgeDiseasedLeaf.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ellen

Cutting back shrubs/bushes

I've got these, the middle I know is box, not sure what the one either side of it is but it's evergreen. I really want to cut it back as it's starting to block the window. Am I ok to cut it back,...
    I've got these, the middle I know is box, not sure what the one either side of it is but it's evergreen. I really want to cut it back as it's starting to block the window. Am I ok to cut it back, as it will obviously make it look very bare, would it not cause permanent damage?
    I've got these, the middle I know is box, not sure what the one either side of it is but it's evergreen. I really want to cut it back as it's starting to block the window. Am I ok to cut it back, as it will obviously make it look very bare,...
    I've got these, the middle I know is box, not sure what the one either side of it is but it's evergreen. I really want to cut it back as it's starting to block the window. Am I ok to cut it back,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. SuzyW

Starting a Mediterranean garden in a small space

I have an l shaped built planting area which is 3m long each side but only about 50cm wide in terms of planting space. It is in a relatively sunny part of my east-west garden getting sunlight late...
    I have an l shaped built planting area which is 3m long each side but only about 50cm wide in terms of planting space. It is in a relatively sunny part of my east-west garden getting sunlight late morning for the rest of the day. I have always found it tricky to get the rightplants as there is a...
    I have an l shaped built planting area which is 3m long each side but only about 50cm wide in terms of planting space. It is in a relatively sunny part of my east-west garden getting sunlight late morning for the rest of the day. I have always...
    I have an l shaped built planting area which is 3m long each side but only about 50cm wide in terms of planting space. It is in a relatively sunny part of my east-west garden getting sunlight late...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. minki

sandy clay loam

I was wondering how to make a sandy clay loam soil ? can someone please suggest where to buy loam from? usually its mentioned that mix all the three soils in equal proportions but my garden soil...
    I was wondering how to make a sandy clay loam soil ? can someone please suggest where to buy loam from? usually its mentioned that mix all the three soils in equal proportions but my garden soil is heavy clay and when dug up it forms clumps which dont mixed with anything.... any tips?
    I was wondering how to make a sandy clay loam soil ? can someone please suggest where to buy loam from? usually its mentioned that mix all the three soils in equal proportions but my garden soil is heavy clay and when dug up it forms clumps which...
    I was wondering how to make a sandy clay loam soil ? can someone please suggest where to buy loam from? usually its mentioned that mix all the three soils in equal proportions but my garden soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. silu

Which shrub to move?

I'm just in from the garden (hurt everywhere!) and have made up my mind I have to move either a Camellia (Anticipation) or an Euonymus Alatus . Not keen on pruning at the best of times but just to...
    I'm just in from the garden (hurt everywhere!) and have made up my mind I have to move either a Camellia (Anticipation) or an Euonymus Alatus . Not keen on pruning at the best of times but just to reduce a shrub's size is not something I like to do as I'm lucky enough to have huge amounts of...
    I'm just in from the garden (hurt everywhere!) and have made up my mind I have to move either a Camellia (Anticipation) or an Euonymus Alatus . Not keen on pruning at the best of times but just to reduce a shrub's size is not something I like to...
    I'm just in from the garden (hurt everywhere!) and have made up my mind I have to move either a Camellia (Anticipation) or an Euonymus Alatus . Not keen on pruning at the best of times but just to...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice