1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. kerrygirl

Advice about seedings please

@kerrygirl Your in good hands now members are replying :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. snadge

Advice about patches after scarifying

Hi Snadge, here is an example of a lawn aerator, it spikes the ground to allow in air and water if the ground is compacted, but to be honest you could do the same thing with the tines of a...
    Hi Snadge, here is an example of a lawn aerator, it spikes the ground to allow in air and water if the ground is compacted, but to be honest you could do the same thing with the tines of a garden fork in the small areas you have to do. good luck.Pete
    Hi Snadge, here is an example of a lawn aerator, it spikes the ground to allow in air and water if the ground is compacted, but to be honest you could do the same thing with the tines of a garden fork in the small areas you have to do. good...
    Hi Snadge, here is an example of a lawn aerator, it spikes the ground to allow in air and water if the ground is compacted, but to be honest you could do the same thing with the tines of a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sparra

Advice about lillies.....please

:ThankYou:Hydrogen, wow didn't think I would get help this quick, whoop whoop :hapydancsmil:well I am now heading back out to the garden, while the sun is still out. Thanks again, take care
    :ThankYou:Hydrogen, wow didn't think I would get help this quick, whoop whoop :hapydancsmil:well I am now heading back out to the garden, while the sun is still out. Thanks again, take care
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. joolz68

advice about a jostaberry bush plz

Never heard of it ,but, if it`s similar to a gooseberry ,they take a couple of years to produce. Also my gooseberry had loads of fruit last year,but none at all this,speaking to a friend he had a...
    Never heard of it ,but, if it`s similar to a gooseberry ,they take a couple of years to produce. Also my gooseberry had loads of fruit last year,but none at all this,speaking to a friend he had a poor crop also from well established bushes
    Never heard of it ,but, if it`s similar to a gooseberry ,they take a couple of years to produce. Also my gooseberry had loads of fruit last year,but none at all this,speaking to a friend he had a poor crop also from well established bushes
    Never heard of it ,but, if it`s similar to a gooseberry ,they take a couple of years to produce. Also my gooseberry had loads of fruit last year,but none at all this,speaking to a friend he had a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Small flower

Advice - how to winterise my plants?

:) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy...
    :) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy up after flowering then prune hard in March. Lavender prune after flowering to about 1" above old...
    :) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy up after flowering then prune hard in...
    :) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. portoman

Advice - are these dead?

@portoman They are perfectly normal. Daffodils and tulips are spring flowering bulbs, so they produce leaves in early spring, then flowers and after the flowers have finished the leaves die down...
    @portoman They are perfectly normal. Daffodils and tulips are spring flowering bulbs, so they produce leaves in early spring, then flowers and after the flowers have finished the leaves die down for the rest of the year. The bulb has been recharged for next spring. As you have planted in them...
    @portoman They are perfectly normal. Daffodils and tulips are spring flowering bulbs, so they produce leaves in early spring, then flowers and after the flowers have finished the leaves die down for the rest of the year. The bulb has been...
    @portoman They are perfectly normal. Daffodils and tulips are spring flowering bulbs, so they produce leaves in early spring, then flowers and after the flowers have finished the leaves die down...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. chrisb1357

Advice & Ideas Needed for Our Garden

If you're going to repair the retaining wall, have a look at using some brickforce.
    If you're going to repair the retaining wall, have a look at using some brickforce.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. stealthdave

Advice

Derby
    Derby
    Derby
    Derby
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. dandanuk

Adverse weather jobs.

I built a retaining wall just before the snow so hopefully the frost wont have got to the mortar and weakened it! Tomorrow the soil will be moved up against it so I'll know then! lol All being...
    I built a retaining wall just before the snow so hopefully the frost wont have got to the mortar and weakened it! Tomorrow the soil will be moved up against it so I'll know then! lol All being well I'll level the soil ready for turfing next month.
    I built a retaining wall just before the snow so hopefully the frost wont have got to the mortar and weakened it! Tomorrow the soil will be moved up against it so I'll know then! lol All being well I'll level the soil ready for turfing next month.
    I built a retaining wall just before the snow so hopefully the frost wont have got to the mortar and weakened it! Tomorrow the soil will be moved up against it so I'll know then! lol All being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. SimonZ

Adventitious buds

You have a strong interest in pruning and re-growth Simon. I do not habitually use the term adventitious, and if I am correct it means a bud that appears somewhere it should not-but I am unsure....
    You have a strong interest in pruning and re-growth Simon. I do not habitually use the term adventitious, and if I am correct it means a bud that appears somewhere it should not-but I am unsure. The suckering that Pete talks about is pretty much how I would answer you. The shorn stems will...
    You have a strong interest in pruning and re-growth Simon. I do not habitually use the term adventitious, and if I am correct it means a bud that appears somewhere it should not-but I am unsure. The suckering that Pete talks about is pretty much...
    You have a strong interest in pruning and re-growth Simon. I do not habitually use the term adventitious, and if I am correct it means a bud that appears somewhere it should not-but I am unsure....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R

Advantages, pros and cons of propogators/heating mats

I have tried the heated, single tray type of propagator you describe and agree with all PeterS says about their use. I now do most of my seed propagation in the same size unheated seed trays, they...
    I have tried the heated, single tray type of propagator you describe and agree with all PeterS says about their use. I now do most of my seed propagation in the same size unheated seed trays, they can have either the hard plastic clear covers or the cheaper thin plastic tops, both work well in...
    I have tried the heated, single tray type of propagator you describe and agree with all PeterS says about their use. I now do most of my seed propagation in the same size unheated seed trays, they can have either the hard plastic clear covers or...
    I have tried the heated, single tray type of propagator you describe and agree with all PeterS says about their use. I now do most of my seed propagation in the same size unheated seed trays, they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jack McHammocklashing

Adjusting soil PH

I don't grow veg - so don't know the answer to your problems. However my feeling is that it is rarely worth trying to change the pH of your soil. There is an awful lot of soil, and I suspect that...
    I don't grow veg - so don't know the answer to your problems. However my feeling is that it is rarely worth trying to change the pH of your soil. There is an awful lot of soil, and I suspect that it will keep trying to change back. I think it would be more sensible to change the plants you...
    I don't grow veg - so don't know the answer to your problems. However my feeling is that it is rarely worth trying to change the pH of your soil. There is an awful lot of soil, and I suspect that it will keep trying to change back. I think it...
    I don't grow veg - so don't know the answer to your problems. However my feeling is that it is rarely worth trying to change the pH of your soil. There is an awful lot of soil, and I suspect that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. MikeH

Adjusting ph levels in soil!!??

I agree with Loofah and PeterS, I have a soil that is PH 7-8 and though there are some acid lovers I would really love to have, there are so many fabulous plants that like alkaline conditions that...
    I agree with Loofah and PeterS, I have a soil that is PH 7-8 and though there are some acid lovers I would really love to have, there are so many fabulous plants that like alkaline conditions that I can make do! :)
    I agree with Loofah and PeterS, I have a soil that is PH 7-8 and though there are some acid lovers I would really love to have, there are so many fabulous plants that like alkaline conditions that I can make do! :)
    I agree with Loofah and PeterS, I have a soil that is PH 7-8 and though there are some acid lovers I would really love to have, there are so many fabulous plants that like alkaline conditions that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. stumorphmac

adenium

Grown both from seed - adeniums were easy, plumeria is a bit hit and miss. :yess:
    Grown both from seed - adeniums were easy, plumeria is a bit hit and miss. :yess:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Scrungee

Additional show categories due to Summer weather this year

Over to you Scrungee for a sluggy thread title?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. stu.zzr

Additional light for seedlings

Nasturtiums will start off fine with limited light. I'd just go ahead and plant them in the garage near the window and as soon as they are up and about, and there is no further risk of frost...
    Nasturtiums will start off fine with limited light. I'd just go ahead and plant them in the garage near the window and as soon as they are up and about, and there is no further risk of frost (which makes nasturtium look like boiled cabbage), I'd plant them outside.Or, with all three of the...
    Nasturtiums will start off fine with limited light. I'd just go ahead and plant them in the garage near the window and as soon as they are up and about, and there is no further risk of frost (which makes nasturtium look like boiled cabbage), I'd...
    Nasturtiums will start off fine with limited light. I'd just go ahead and plant them in the garage near the window and as soon as they are up and about, and there is no further risk of frost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pip

Adding soil to a sandy area

thanks for the tip, i was intending doing the same again this year but i found the sand difficult to heave around so i shall try it without the sand. i do respect your greater knowledge - i am a...
    thanks for the tip, i was intending doing the same again this year but i found the sand difficult to heave around so i shall try it without the sand. i do respect your greater knowledge - i am a novice but keen to learn Loopy will keep you posted after the deed has been done lol
    thanks for the tip, i was intending doing the same again this year but i found the sand difficult to heave around so i shall try it without the sand. i do respect your greater knowledge - i am a novice but keen to learn Loopy will keep you...
    thanks for the tip, i was intending doing the same again this year but i found the sand difficult to heave around so i shall try it without the sand. i do respect your greater knowledge - i am a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Val..

Adding Perlite to tubs and containers.

That's what I ordered, thanks Kristen I was wondering if this would be too fine!!Val
    That's what I ordered, thanks Kristen I was wondering if this would be too fine!!Val
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. gardeningsolutions

Adding gardening

Hi all,I was wondering about adding a garden care/cleaning area to my siteAny experience gardeners willing to assist me then I would welcome any helpCheers all.
    Hi all,I was wondering about adding a garden care/cleaning area to my siteAny experience gardeners willing to assist me then I would welcome any helpCheers all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sargan

Adding farmyard menu

added a full 4" layer all over ... well in rotted manure, like black crumb compost. Will mix it all in during week with Mantis, which will also chop it up as well.
    added a full 4" layer all over ... well in rotted manure, like black crumb compost. Will mix it all in during week with Mantis, which will also chop it up as well.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice