General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. M1chael1970

Virginia creepers

I have a virginia creeper and they seem to be very slow at growing and spreading. I think 6-8ft apart would be ample room. Rosey
    I have a virginia creeper and they seem to be very slow at growing and spreading. I think 6-8ft apart would be ample room. Rosey
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Lisa30

Lavender problem

Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also...
    Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also hates wet, like a lot of grey leaved plants. I grow Lavender in clay, not known for its sharp...
    Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also hates wet, like a lot of grey leaved plants. I grow...
    Two problems come to mind, Lavender should be cut back immediatly after flowering but not into old wood. Just back to the first leaves of the new growth.You may have left it a bit late. It also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. spademan19

fast growing hedges

I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still...
    I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still sprout, something not many conifers can do.
    I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still sprout, something not many conifers can do.
    I know they say its slow, but I think yew is the best evergreen hedge, and its not really slow once it gets going. It also has the advantage that it can be cut back to brown wood and it will still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. green welly

pampas grass

Not so much to do with age as size. A reasonable sized plant should flower this year I should think.
    Not so much to do with age as size. A reasonable sized plant should flower this year I should think.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Lisa30

Rhododendrons

Im told that some rhoddies take a good few years to start flowering properly. Im hoping that is it because i have the same problem as you.
    Im told that some rhoddies take a good few years to start flowering properly. Im hoping that is it because i have the same problem as you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. slugbug

Heavy showers of rain

It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good...
    It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good thing to come out of it is it's I am getting plenty of exercise!!!
    It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good thing to come out of it is it's I am getting plenty...
    It's the same in east lothian, very heavy downpours.I'm trying to harden off my annuals but I have to keep running outside to put them back in the greenhouse to stop them from drowning!only good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Deewitch

camellia frost damage help please

Thanks so much I will let you know how it goesDee
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. daveyp

rotorvating

I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing...
    I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing estate built on the grounds of High Legh Hall near Lymm.I think the builders left all the houses with...
    I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing estate built on the grounds of High Legh Hall near...
    I helped my Dad do a garden like that. Unfortunatley we reverted to usung a pick axe and lifting the finds. As there was a few old bottles he must have got us interested.It was a new housing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. MikeDriver

Ferns, any problems with them?

The japanese painted ferns (without looking it up I think its anthyrium?) have beautiful coloured leaves
    The japanese painted ferns (without looking it up I think its anthyrium?) have beautiful coloured leaves
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. aqua

PLastic Pots and Drainage

Green-tea bags of course Ladybird ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. slugbug

Fuchsias

Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too...
    Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too many questions I do have a book which I have started to read but I can't take it all in that quick. Jacqui
    Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too many questions I do have a book which I have started...
    Thanks for that Fran, I was hoping to put some in a hanging basket are these best put in the ground or in a large pot on the patio.Can i transfer then to the ground in October? Sorry to ask too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. aqua

Oh Damn - Plants wilted HELP!

Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied...
    Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied of floorboards, fitted cabinets, boiler, and various other items that have been ripped out of the...
    Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied of floorboards, fitted cabinets, boiler, and...
    Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Marley Farley

Lupins. Should I or shouldn't I?

:D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last...
    :D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last into next year if they do. :( I shall put some gell crystals in the pots too. A dwarf variety sounds...
    :D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last into next year if they do. :( I shall put some...
    :D Hi all, Thanks I shall go to the garden centre today to be sure of getting what I want. I shall have to impress on her not to let them get too dry as I don't think they will flower or last...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. daveyp

rotavator/cultivator?

Usually hire shops use Petrol engine rotorvators..... And usually a Honda engine, as they are very reliable.Nathan.
    Usually hire shops use Petrol engine rotorvators..... And usually a Honda engine, as they are very reliable.Nathan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. slugbug

Ground Elder

Found this info which indicates it has uses. Looking at the picture, I think all the stuff I have to dig up on the side of the back garden is this, rather than nettles (as I thought). Aw, heck. :(
    Found this info which indicates it has uses. Looking at the picture, I think all the stuff I have to dig up on the side of the back garden is this, rather than nettles (as I thought). Aw, heck. :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. MarkO

Plastic barrier to keep back the ground elder...?

MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup....
    MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup. :mad: Those roots are something else! Paladin
    MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup. :mad: Those roots are something else! Paladin
    MarcO. Poly twinwall, the stuff used on conservatory roofs,bought in large sheets and easily cut to size. I had similar problem with Bind weed and once contained zapped the evil sod with Roundup....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Liz Giz

Want to Mow A Meadow!

Don't tell me you're a Chelsea fan too Nathan :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kev

Protection of pampas grass

Just cut it back as low as you can its almost impossible to kill, although it is a bit late I must admit.
    Just cut it back as low as you can its almost impossible to kill, although it is a bit late I must admit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. slugbug

? too late to plant seeds

Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and...
    Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and well rotted muck dug in during the previous season.Haven't got a clue about peppers,...
    Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and well rotted muck dug in during the previous...
    Hi Jacqui. Parsnips are slow growing and it's about 9 months before they mature. It's usual to sow in late winter but you can sow them now. Don't let them dry out though. They like limy soil, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. 2pods

Holes in pots

ThanksIt must be one of life's mysteries ;)I think if I have to drill it'll have to be the sides.Peter
    ThanksIt must be one of life's mysteries ;)I think if I have to drill it'll have to be the sides.Peter
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice