General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. dixy

lily seeds

I posted this somewhere - dont know where - cant find it, so here goes again. When I went to dead head my calla lillies yesterday I noticed that they had little grean pea-like things inside the...
    I posted this somewhere - dont know where - cant find it, so here goes again. When I went to dead head my calla lillies yesterday I noticed that they had little grean pea-like things inside the head. Are these seeds and can I plant them up? If so, when should I do it? Thanks
    I posted this somewhere - dont know where - cant find it, so here goes again. When I went to dead head my calla lillies yesterday I noticed that they had little grean pea-like things inside the head. Are these seeds and can I plant them up? If...
    I posted this somewhere - dont know where - cant find it, so here goes again. When I went to dead head my calla lillies yesterday I noticed that they had little grean pea-like things inside the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Liz

New things

I have a new Weigela, very dark red, which flowered earlier in the year and is now flowering again! One of the 8 lovely little shrublets [well-rooted cuttings] from Glenville Nurseries, all are...
    I have a new Weigela, very dark red, which flowered earlier in the year and is now flowering again! One of the 8 lovely little shrublets [well-rooted cuttings] from Glenville Nurseries, all are doing well. Buddleia Alternifolia is about 3' high despite my hard pruning to keep it in single stem...
    I have a new Weigela, very dark red, which flowered earlier in the year and is now flowering again! One of the 8 lovely little shrublets [well-rooted cuttings] from Glenville Nurseries, all are doing well. Buddleia Alternifolia is about 3' high...
    I have a new Weigela, very dark red, which flowered earlier in the year and is now flowering again! One of the 8 lovely little shrublets [well-rooted cuttings] from Glenville Nurseries, all are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. macleaf

Candyfloss

Have found phone no of the compost bin people as follows:-08450732002 :cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Banana Man

FAO Celia

You don't seem to have PM facility turned on so you have email from me :D :D :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Waco

Dragon wing begonia

OK I managed to get one - or several, local nursery were chucking them out as no one seemed to know wht they were or what to do with them!They are stunning!How do I keep them over winter with...
    OK I managed to get one - or several, local nursery were chucking them out as no one seemed to know wht they were or what to do with them!They are stunning!How do I keep them over winter with limited space? whats best way of getting cuttings?THANKS
    OK I managed to get one - or several, local nursery were chucking them out as no one seemed to know wht they were or what to do with them!They are stunning!How do I keep them over winter with limited space? whats best way of getting...
    OK I managed to get one - or several, local nursery were chucking them out as no one seemed to know wht they were or what to do with them!They are stunning!How do I keep them over winter with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Gogs

Dwarf Lily

My 1st year with this dwarf lily "Red Rum" seems as though it's gonna look good. Anyone else tried it?
    My 1st year with this dwarf lily "Red Rum" seems as though it's gonna look good. Anyone else tried it?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. lazy-gardener

protecting bamboo from the wind

A few months ago I bought a bamboo and its doing really well but I am worried about the wind whipping it and breaking the stems as its only youngish they are not very fat yet.The bamboo is in a...
    A few months ago I bought a bamboo and its doing really well but I am worried about the wind whipping it and breaking the stems as its only youngish they are not very fat yet.The bamboo is in a container and it has a house wall to one side and a fence on the other with a shed a couple of...
    A few months ago I bought a bamboo and its doing really well but I am worried about the wind whipping it and breaking the stems as its only youngish they are not very fat yet.The bamboo is in a container and it has a house wall to one side and...
    A few months ago I bought a bamboo and its doing really well but I am worried about the wind whipping it and breaking the stems as its only youngish they are not very fat yet.The bamboo is in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sparkle

companion planting experiment

I did some research on companion planting before planting my courgettes and tomatoes (in pots). I've perviously had problems with whitefly on courgettes so I thought it was worth a go.I found 3...
    I did some research on companion planting before planting my courgettes and tomatoes (in pots). I've perviously had problems with whitefly on courgettes so I thought it was worth a go.I found 3 plants that were recommended - french marigolds, nasturtiums and bush basil.Here are my...
    I did some research on companion planting before planting my courgettes and tomatoes (in pots). I've perviously had problems with whitefly on courgettes so I thought it was worth a go.I found 3 plants that were recommended - french marigolds,...
    I did some research on companion planting before planting my courgettes and tomatoes (in pots). I've perviously had problems with whitefly on courgettes so I thought it was worth a go.I found 3...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. T

Bind weed

On reading some of the answers that where given regarding this awful weed I tried the following suggestion I put some weed killer in a plastic bag put the end of the weed that was in my garden...
    On reading some of the answers that where given regarding this awful weed I tried the following suggestion I put some weed killer in a plastic bag put the end of the weed that was in my garden coming in from next door and tied it off and just left it tucked it away where it couldn't be seen and...
    On reading some of the answers that where given regarding this awful weed I tried the following suggestion I put some weed killer in a plastic bag put the end of the weed that was in my garden coming in from next door and tied it off and just...
    On reading some of the answers that where given regarding this awful weed I tried the following suggestion I put some weed killer in a plastic bag put the end of the weed that was in my garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. rumble

Cytisus (Burkwoodii - I think)

Hi folks,Thanks to everyone for the replies to my queries !Next question - one of my broom plants has got little seed pods on. Can I pick them and save the seeds - any point or would I never...
    Hi folks,Thanks to everyone for the replies to my queries !Next question - one of my broom plants has got little seed pods on. Can I pick them and save the seeds - any point or would I never achieve anything from seed anyway ? Any ideas ?Thanks again
    Hi folks,Thanks to everyone for the replies to my queries !Next question - one of my broom plants has got little seed pods on. Can I pick them and save the seeds - any point or would I never achieve anything from seed anyway ? Any ideas...
    Hi folks,Thanks to everyone for the replies to my queries !Next question - one of my broom plants has got little seed pods on. Can I pick them and save the seeds - any point or would I never...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Waco
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Stingo

Helleborus help needed please..

Hi fellow gardenersI have four young helleborus, all different and in pots I re-potted them, now three are doing well and the other has one leaf which is going brown :eek: (it only consists...
    Hi fellow gardenersI have four young helleborus, all different and in pots I re-potted them, now three are doing well and the other has one leaf which is going brown :eek: (it only consists of one leaf actually!)Any ideas?Also when should these be planted out Autumn perhaps?Grateful...
    Hi fellow gardenersI have four young helleborus, all different and in pots I re-potted them, now three are doing well and the other has one leaf which is going brown :eek: (it only consists of one leaf actually!)Any ideas?Also when...
    Hi fellow gardenersI have four young helleborus, all different and in pots I re-potted them, now three are doing well and the other has one leaf which is going brown :eek: (it only consists...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. fmay

Iodine

OK - I've bought my iodine (for tadpoles) so how much do I put in? Any ideas? The pond is about 6footx4foot and about 3foot at the deepest.
    OK - I've bought my iodine (for tadpoles) so how much do I put in? Any ideas? The pond is about 6footx4foot and about 3foot at the deepest.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. lazy-gardener

info on dictamnus alba-burning bush

i have one of the above I bought a couple of months ago. Its in direct sunlight as I understand this is what it needs but it just doesnt seem to have got any bigger. The pot its in is about 12"...
    i have one of the above I bought a couple of months ago. Its in direct sunlight as I understand this is what it needs but it just doesnt seem to have got any bigger. The pot its in is about 12" square and deep and have planted it in compost with food added. can nayone shed light as to why its...
    i have one of the above I bought a couple of months ago. Its in direct sunlight as I understand this is what it needs but it just doesnt seem to have got any bigger. The pot its in is about 12" square and deep and have planted it in compost with...
    i have one of the above I bought a couple of months ago. Its in direct sunlight as I understand this is what it needs but it just doesnt seem to have got any bigger. The pot its in is about 12"...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. frogesque

Thrift

Thrift (Armeria maritima).Getting past its best now but a wonderful late spring favourite on any coastal walk. Look carefully though, there are still blooms to be found on north facing rocks or...
    Thrift (Armeria maritima).Getting past its best now but a wonderful late spring favourite on any coastal walk. Look carefully though, there are still blooms to be found on north facing rocks or in shady gulliesIt doesn't ususally grow as tall as the garden cultivars and is a wonderfull...
    Thrift (Armeria maritima).Getting past its best now but a wonderful late spring favourite on any coastal walk. Look carefully though, there are still blooms to be found on north facing rocks or in shady gulliesIt doesn't ususally grow as...
    Thrift (Armeria maritima).Getting past its best now but a wonderful late spring favourite on any coastal walk. Look carefully though, there are still blooms to be found on north facing rocks or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. frogesque

Leaf Cutter Bee

Caught this Leaf Cutter Bee taking a quick rest. In flight it looked like weird moth! Really they do little overall damage and are great pollinators.More info on bees here: InsectPix:...
    Caught this Leaf Cutter Bee taking a quick rest. In flight it looked like weird moth! Really they do little overall damage and are great pollinators.More info on bees here: InsectPix: Solitary Bees
    Caught this Leaf Cutter Bee taking a quick rest. In flight it looked like weird moth! Really they do little overall damage and are great pollinators.More info on bees here: InsectPix: Solitary Bees
    Caught this Leaf Cutter Bee taking a quick rest. In flight it looked like weird moth! Really they do little overall damage and are great pollinators.More info on bees here: InsectPix:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sawfish

planting fritillaria bulbs

is it safe enough to to plant fritillaria bulbs in the earth now? Even though its too late for them to flower this year.What I mean is they wont lie and rot? [ 07. July 2006, 06:25 PM:...
    is it safe enough to to plant fritillaria bulbs in the earth now? Even though its too late for them to flower this year.What I mean is they wont lie and rot? [ 07. July 2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: sawfish ]
    is it safe enough to to plant fritillaria bulbs in the earth now? Even though its too late for them to flower this year.What I mean is they wont lie and rot? [ 07. July 2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: sawfish ]
    is it safe enough to to plant fritillaria bulbs in the earth now? Even though its too late for them to flower this year.What I mean is they wont lie and rot? [ 07. July 2006, 06:25 PM:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Victoria

Nearing the end of the day ....

It's been a busy day and I've uprooted the C vimilus and planted the pink grapefruit in its place next to the lime tree. That was a bit shattering at 27oC even after the sun was going down! :( ...
    It's been a busy day and I've uprooted the C vimilus and planted the pink grapefruit in its place next to the lime tree. That was a bit shattering at 27oC even after the sun was going down! :( Sweat, sweat :( The poor C vim is now lying on its side where it's going to go .... tomorrow...
    It's been a busy day and I've uprooted the C vimilus and planted the pink grapefruit in its place next to the lime tree. That was a bit shattering at 27oC even after the sun was going down! :( Sweat, sweat :( The poor C vim is now lying on...
    It's been a busy day and I've uprooted the C vimilus and planted the pink grapefruit in its place next to the lime tree. That was a bit shattering at 27oC even after the sun was going down! :( ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. DaveP

"Sorrel Geranium"

I don't know whether many of you have tried this Pelargonium species - P. acetosum. It is one of the more unusual, carrying rather succulent blue-green, crenulated leaves and clusters of pale...
    I don't know whether many of you have tried this Pelargonium species - P. acetosum. It is one of the more unusual, carrying rather succulent blue-green, crenulated leaves and clusters of pale coral, spidery flowers each up to 8cms. across. It has a very long flowering season - almost year...
    I don't know whether many of you have tried this Pelargonium species - P. acetosum. It is one of the more unusual, carrying rather succulent blue-green, crenulated leaves and clusters of pale coral, spidery flowers each up to 8cms. across. It...
    I don't know whether many of you have tried this Pelargonium species - P. acetosum. It is one of the more unusual, carrying rather succulent blue-green, crenulated leaves and clusters of pale...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. rosa

shirley poppies

thanks rosietu for the shirley poppies from paris just to let you know they are just starting to grow will take photos as soon as they have grown from rosa
    thanks rosietu for the shirley poppies from paris just to let you know they are just starting to grow will take photos as soon as they have grown from rosa
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice