1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Lintama

Vine weevil grubs

I just use about a half to an inch of grit, usually white, in my pots. If possible I try to avoid the use of such chemicals just because of the expense.Doesn�t guarantee anything, just...
    I just use about a half to an inch of grit, usually white, in my pots. If possible I try to avoid the use of such chemicals just because of the expense.Doesn�t guarantee anything, just reduces the occurrence. Chances are the weevils go somewhere easier.It also keeps the weeds down....
    I just use about a half to an inch of grit, usually white, in my pots. If possible I try to avoid the use of such chemicals just because of the expense.Doesn�t guarantee anything, just reduces the occurrence. Chances are the weevils go...
    I just use about a half to an inch of grit, usually white, in my pots. If possible I try to avoid the use of such chemicals just because of the expense.Doesn�t guarantee anything, just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. flowerpotty

problem with hypericum calciyinum

Hello Flowerpotty and welcome. I've looked up your plant in my RHS book and it says that it likes to be in the shade and that it should be pruned down to ground level every spring. Hope this helps.
    Hello Flowerpotty and welcome. I've looked up your plant in my RHS book and it says that it likes to be in the shade and that it should be pruned down to ground level every spring. Hope this helps.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. cauliflower ears

Winter Slugs - beware!!

Damn Wood Pigeons have had all my early sprouting broccoli.I'd have been alright if the recent gales hadn't flattened all my plants down horizontally.Oh well only another 4 months 'till I get...
    Damn Wood Pigeons have had all my early sprouting broccoli.I'd have been alright if the recent gales hadn't flattened all my plants down horizontally.Oh well only another 4 months 'till I get any produce from my garden :mad:Pigeon Pie all round.
    Damn Wood Pigeons have had all my early sprouting broccoli.I'd have been alright if the recent gales hadn't flattened all my plants down horizontally.Oh well only another 4 months 'till I get any produce from my garden :mad:Pigeon Pie all round.
    Damn Wood Pigeons have had all my early sprouting broccoli.I'd have been alright if the recent gales hadn't flattened all my plants down horizontally.Oh well only another 4 months 'till I get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Bunslip

Laurel attacked!!

I'd wait untill the new growth is forming and its warmer personally.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Scrofula

Best Marigold for Aphid/Whitefly

The marigold is probably the most well known plant for repelling insects. French marigolds repel whiteflies and kill bad nematodes. Mexican marigolds are said to offend a host of destructive...
    The marigold is probably the most well known plant for repelling insects. French marigolds repel whiteflies and kill bad nematodes. Mexican marigolds are said to offend a host of destructive insects and wild rabbits as well. If you choose marigolds for your garden they must be scented to work as...
    The marigold is probably the most well known plant for repelling insects. French marigolds repel whiteflies and kill bad nematodes. Mexican marigolds are said to offend a host of destructive insects and wild rabbits as well. If you choose...
    The marigold is probably the most well known plant for repelling insects. French marigolds repel whiteflies and kill bad nematodes. Mexican marigolds are said to offend a host of destructive...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mrs T

Little flies in soil

Thanks very much!
    Thanks very much!
    Thanks very much!
    Thanks very much!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. DC

Leylandii browning

Nothing you can do, spraying trees of the height and maturity you mention is a waste of time and money. i suspect soil poisoning or something similar. Any road salt runn off?
    Nothing you can do, spraying trees of the height and maturity you mention is a waste of time and money. i suspect soil poisoning or something similar. Any road salt runn off?
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. kerripaul

Citrus plant brown leaft patches

I had a similar experience kerripaul. I put it down to the dry central heating and extremes in temperatures. Have you checked for unwanted guests ?
    I had a similar experience kerripaul. I put it down to the dry central heating and extremes in temperatures. Have you checked for unwanted guests ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Bluedun

Fuchsia Gall Mite

Yep. It works.
    Yep. It works.
    Yep. It works.
    Yep. It works.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Boot

A sick Yukka

Hahaha geoffhandley :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fastboy

Delphiniums. Looking a bit sick..

They naturally die down Fastboy, there perennials..
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Fastboy

Shoots going black ?

One of those two lower inward growing shoots should be taken off anyway, as if both develop you'll end up with crossed and rubbing stems.
    One of those two lower inward growing shoots should be taken off anyway, as if both develop you'll end up with crossed and rubbing stems.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Fastboy

Rust ?

They always seem to go rusty, I tend to use Foxgloves instead.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. unbusybee

plant killer

Hi Unbusy, you have great potential there. I would agree with Dave in the previous post & everyone. Get rid of everything you don't want or like anymore. Clear all the weeds from the stones...
    Hi Unbusy, you have great potential there. I would agree with Dave in the previous post & everyone. Get rid of everything you don't want or like anymore. Clear all the weeds from the stones etc.. Then stand back & look at the areas without the clutter. Choose your colour for the walls etc &...
    Hi Unbusy, you have great potential there. I would agree with Dave in the previous post & everyone. Get rid of everything you don't want or like anymore. Clear all the weeds from the stones etc.. Then stand back & look at the areas without the...
    Hi Unbusy, you have great potential there. I would agree with Dave in the previous post & everyone. Get rid of everything you don't want or like anymore. Clear all the weeds from the stones...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. elliegreenwellie

Poorly Fushias

Then in that case, pop it in the shed. Tip check under the leaves for white fly when you tip it out of its old compost, and if you see any wash them off holding the plant upside down before you...
    Then in that case, pop it in the shed. Tip check under the leaves for white fly when you tip it out of its old compost, and if you see any wash them off holding the plant upside down before you pop them into new compost.
    Then in that case, pop it in the shed. Tip check under the leaves for white fly when you tip it out of its old compost, and if you see any wash them off holding the plant upside down before you pop them into new compost.
    Then in that case, pop it in the shed. Tip check under the leaves for white fly when you tip it out of its old compost, and if you see any wash them off holding the plant upside down before you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. daveM

yew hedge disease?

Thanks to all for the replies. I'd post a picture but I cant see an obvious solution
    Thanks to all for the replies. I'd post a picture but I cant see an obvious solution
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. roders

Grotty Fungus.

Thanks guys........I just found this.http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1201/lichen.asp
    Thanks guys........I just found this.http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1201/lichen.asp
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. bumblebee

The Slugs Tale

That's not under their own steam Ste. doesn't some one throw them from next door but one :D
    That's not under their own steam Ste. doesn't some one throw them from next door but one :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. willow13

greenfly etc

Define organic, you mean? Easiest thing is for me to tell you what I DO import into my garden ...manure : Masses of it. Luckily (and coincidentally) it comes from a neighbouring organic beef...
    Define organic, you mean? Easiest thing is for me to tell you what I DO import into my garden ...manure : Masses of it. Luckily (and coincidentally) it comes from a neighbouring organic beef farm.lime :seeds : I don't go out of my way to buy organically grown seedbeer : for slug...
    Define organic, you mean? Easiest thing is for me to tell you what I DO import into my garden ...manure : Masses of it. Luckily (and coincidentally) it comes from a neighbouring organic beef farm.lime :seeds : I don't go out of my way to...
    Define organic, you mean? Easiest thing is for me to tell you what I DO import into my garden ...manure : Masses of it. Luckily (and coincidentally) it comes from a neighbouring organic beef...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Stingo

White fly?!

I have had problems with whitefly in the greenhouse in the past on the tomatoes. I did not want to use insecticides, well not persistent ones anyway. I had heard about using French marigolds and i...
    I have had problems with whitefly in the greenhouse in the past on the tomatoes. I did not want to use insecticides, well not persistent ones anyway. I had heard about using French marigolds and i was not entirely convinced but i thought i will give it a whirl. i grew a few from seed...
    I have had problems with whitefly in the greenhouse in the past on the tomatoes. I did not want to use insecticides, well not persistent ones anyway. I had heard about using French marigolds and i was not entirely convinced but i thought i will...
    I have had problems with whitefly in the greenhouse in the past on the tomatoes. I did not want to use insecticides, well not persistent ones anyway. I had heard about using French marigolds and i...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice