1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Slips

Small black beetles...?

Slips, are you sure it isn`t aphids? your best bet anyway would be to spray with a systemic insecticide. David.
    Slips, are you sure it isn`t aphids? your best bet anyway would be to spray with a systemic insecticide. David.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Scotkat

Black spots on leaves

Walnut, I thought Benlate was taken off the market because the license expired and it would cost to much to renew . I was working in a garden centre at the time and that is the excuse we were...
    Walnut, I thought Benlate was taken off the market because the license expired and it would cost to much to renew . I was working in a garden centre at the time and that is the excuse we were given. David.
    Walnut, I thought Benlate was taken off the market because the license expired and it would cost to much to renew . I was working in a garden centre at the time and that is the excuse we were given. David.
    Walnut, I thought Benlate was taken off the market because the license expired and it would cost to much to renew . I was working in a garden centre at the time and that is the excuse we were...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Chrysocolla

Distressed Robinia

Hi Chrysocolla, The symptoms of overwatering and underwatering are near enough the same ie yellowing of leaves, wilting and leaf drop, so I would say that as long as the ground dries out the plant...
    Hi Chrysocolla, The symptoms of overwatering and underwatering are near enough the same ie yellowing of leaves, wilting and leaf drop, so I would say that as long as the ground dries out the plant should recover. Is it possible to move the plant to a drier spot? David.
    Hi Chrysocolla, The symptoms of overwatering and underwatering are near enough the same ie yellowing of leaves, wilting and leaf drop, so I would say that as long as the ground dries out the plant should recover. Is it possible to move the plant...
    Hi Chrysocolla, The symptoms of overwatering and underwatering are near enough the same ie yellowing of leaves, wilting and leaf drop, so I would say that as long as the ground dries out the plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Grimmy

Insects

Hi everyone, thanks for those replies, i will give them a try. but i also wondered if some sort of spray or insecticide would be good. there must be some on the market that wont harm the plants or...
    Hi everyone, thanks for those replies, i will give them a try. but i also wondered if some sort of spray or insecticide would be good. there must be some on the market that wont harm the plants or damage the fruits and veg. im sorry for all these questions im quite new to this game. :confused:
    Hi everyone, thanks for those replies, i will give them a try. but i also wondered if some sort of spray or insecticide would be good. there must be some on the market that wont harm the plants or damage the fruits and veg. im sorry for all these...
    Hi everyone, thanks for those replies, i will give them a try. but i also wondered if some sort of spray or insecticide would be good. there must be some on the market that wont harm the plants or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. cattwoman25

creepy crawlys in turnips ?

I think it is likely to be cabbage root fly. Discs won't help cause you are sowinmg seeds rather than planting young plants. I would sow them and then cover with fleece. You are then using a...
    I think it is likely to be cabbage root fly. Discs won't help cause you are sowinmg seeds rather than planting young plants. I would sow them and then cover with fleece. You are then using a physical barrier to stop the insects flying in and laying. It also means you are not using any chemicals...
    I think it is likely to be cabbage root fly. Discs won't help cause you are sowinmg seeds rather than planting young plants. I would sow them and then cover with fleece. You are then using a physical barrier to stop the insects flying in and...
    I think it is likely to be cabbage root fly. Discs won't help cause you are sowinmg seeds rather than planting young plants. I would sow them and then cover with fleece. You are then using a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. catinwaiting

Acer leaves browning and curling

What?? You are having a hot spell?? You lucky thing We are simply having rain, rain, and rain Some of my own acers are drying up on the leaf edges We haven't been having a normal summer here,...
    What?? You are having a hot spell?? You lucky thing We are simply having rain, rain, and rain Some of my own acers are drying up on the leaf edges We haven't been having a normal summer here, so one has to expect some signs of stress in these plants
    What?? You are having a hot spell?? You lucky thing We are simply having rain, rain, and rain Some of my own acers are drying up on the leaf edges We haven't been having a normal summer here, so one has to expect some signs of stress in these...
    What?? You are having a hot spell?? You lucky thing We are simply having rain, rain, and rain Some of my own acers are drying up on the leaf edges We haven't been having a normal summer here,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kandy

I HATE SNAILS

Eeeee! You 'ull people are all the same. No taste. Slugs are far tastier than gherkins. But I wonder if other peeps have alcoholic visitors. Must try mine on G & T.The beer traps are now...
    Eeeee! You 'ull people are all the same. No taste. Slugs are far tastier than gherkins. But I wonder if other peeps have alcoholic visitors. Must try mine on G & T.The beer traps are now down for tonight. All invited.John [ 09. August 2007, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Sarraceniac ]
    Eeeee! You 'ull people are all the same. No taste. Slugs are far tastier than gherkins. But I wonder if other peeps have alcoholic visitors. Must try mine on G & T.The beer traps are now down for tonight. All invited.John [ 09....
    Eeeee! You 'ull people are all the same. No taste. Slugs are far tastier than gherkins. But I wonder if other peeps have alcoholic visitors. Must try mine on G & T.The beer traps are now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. elliegreenwellie

Vine Weevil

Provado only lasts a few weeks so you may have been lucky and got the entire infestation. You are right about them walking so if you had susceptible plants in a greenhouse you could put them on...
    Provado only lasts a few weeks so you may have been lucky and got the entire infestation. You are right about them walking so if you had susceptible plants in a greenhouse you could put them on the staging and paste something on the legs of the staging as a barrier - grease perhaps? I use...
    Provado only lasts a few weeks so you may have been lucky and got the entire infestation. You are right about them walking so if you had susceptible plants in a greenhouse you could put them on the staging and paste something on the legs of the...
    Provado only lasts a few weeks so you may have been lucky and got the entire infestation. You are right about them walking so if you had susceptible plants in a greenhouse you could put them on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. carleton

red lily beetle

That's not necessary. My lilies were devastated three years ago as I had not heard of lily beetle.Last year I gave them a spray with Provado when they were about a foot high and never saw...
    That's not necessary. My lilies were devastated three years ago as I had not heard of lily beetle.Last year I gave them a spray with Provado when they were about a foot high and never saw another beetle all season. This year I did the same at the sight of the first beetle, very little...
    That's not necessary. My lilies were devastated three years ago as I had not heard of lily beetle.Last year I gave them a spray with Provado when they were about a foot high and never saw another beetle all season. This year I did the same at...
    That's not necessary. My lilies were devastated three years ago as I had not heard of lily beetle.Last year I gave them a spray with Provado when they were about a foot high and never saw...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. chan

lily beetle

I think you need to bite the bullet and get squishing. You can use a spray as I recommended before but lets face it, would you prefer a quick squishing or a long drawn out poisoning if it came to...
    I think you need to bite the bullet and get squishing. You can use a spray as I recommended before but lets face it, would you prefer a quick squishing or a long drawn out poisoning if it came to it? I tend to look every day, particularly under the leaves and because i haven't sprayed I squeeze...
    I think you need to bite the bullet and get squishing. You can use a spray as I recommended before but lets face it, would you prefer a quick squishing or a long drawn out poisoning if it came to it? I tend to look every day, particularly under...
    I think you need to bite the bullet and get squishing. You can use a spray as I recommended before but lets face it, would you prefer a quick squishing or a long drawn out poisoning if it came to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Banana Man

WASPS !!!

As you can see lady i basically have no excuse at all, i hold my hand up to having a complete mental block on the jeep cleaning job, I simply can't bring myself to do it
    As you can see lady i basically have no excuse at all, i hold my hand up to having a complete mental block on the jeep cleaning job, I simply can't bring myself to do it
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. juemans

How can I eradicate ants nests??

There was a thread about this on this topic site on 8/7/07. Scroll down and have a peek
    There was a thread about this on this topic site on 8/7/07. Scroll down and have a peek
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. elainefiz

Conifer itch?

im a gardener ,theres a bloke at work who cant prune conifers as he comes up in a rash ,i think this is quite common!
    im a gardener ,theres a bloke at work who cant prune conifers as he comes up in a rash ,i think this is quite common!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sonic

SNAILS

Make money from your snails!!! I saw this little item when googling and in view of all the GC members that have so many snails, I thought this was a useful idea."I was happily eating my oats...
    Make money from your snails!!! I saw this little item when googling and in view of all the GC members that have so many snails, I thought this was a useful idea."I was happily eating my oats yesterday morning in front of the telly, when I almost choked. nothing wrong with my oats, nor with...
    Make money from your snails!!! I saw this little item when googling and in view of all the GC members that have so many snails, I thought this was a useful idea."I was happily eating my oats yesterday morning in front of the telly, when I...
    Make money from your snails!!! I saw this little item when googling and in view of all the GC members that have so many snails, I thought this was a useful idea."I was happily eating my oats...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Markr

leek moth

I read that last year, thanks! thought more people would be affected by this problem?
    I read that last year, thanks! thought more people would be affected by this problem?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. elliegreenwellie

Vapourer Moth Caterpillar

thanks Hyla, I'll move it as it is making good progress through my geranium! Not quite sure what I want it too eat instead though? Perhaps it will accidently find it self at the other side o the...
    thanks Hyla, I'll move it as it is making good progress through my geranium! Not quite sure what I want it too eat instead though? Perhaps it will accidently find it self at the other side o the neighbours wall :D
    thanks Hyla, I'll move it as it is making good progress through my geranium! Not quite sure what I want it too eat instead though? Perhaps it will accidently find it self at the other side o the neighbours wall :D
    thanks Hyla, I'll move it as it is making good progress through my geranium! Not quite sure what I want it too eat instead though? Perhaps it will accidently find it self at the other side o the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. OogieBoogie

Ceanothus problems

I had a ceanothus that had die back this year too, I cut it out then later more died so I cut it right back and now it seems to be growing ok, mine was only 5ft high though and I used to trim it...
    I had a ceanothus that had die back this year too, I cut it out then later more died so I cut it right back and now it seems to be growing ok, mine was only 5ft high though and I used to trim it after flowering in the spring every year to keep the same height. So fingers crossed it might grow...
    I had a ceanothus that had die back this year too, I cut it out then later more died so I cut it right back and now it seems to be growing ok, mine was only 5ft high though and I used to trim it after flowering in the spring every year to keep...
    I had a ceanothus that had die back this year too, I cut it out then later more died so I cut it right back and now it seems to be growing ok, mine was only 5ft high though and I used to trim it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. RogerJ

Is this pittosporum dying?

Thanks Celia for taking the trouble to reply. No other ideas have been forthcoming so I'll enquire elsewhere. Perhaps a tree surgeon. A great shame if it has to be cut down as it's the main...
    Thanks Celia for taking the trouble to reply. No other ideas have been forthcoming so I'll enquire elsewhere. Perhaps a tree surgeon. A great shame if it has to be cut down as it's the main feature in that part of the garden.It's surprising how these things creep up on you - I only really...
    Thanks Celia for taking the trouble to reply. No other ideas have been forthcoming so I'll enquire elsewhere. Perhaps a tree surgeon. A great shame if it has to be cut down as it's the main feature in that part of the garden.It's surprising...
    Thanks Celia for taking the trouble to reply. No other ideas have been forthcoming so I'll enquire elsewhere. Perhaps a tree surgeon. A great shame if it has to be cut down as it's the main...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Maurice1940

Thin Iceberg

Thanks Celia & wiseoldowl, I'm glad it is alright, as you might have noticed I'm not a lover of gardening, I've hated it since I was a kid as I never got anything right now I've retired I...
    Thanks Celia & wiseoldowl, I'm glad it is alright, as you might have noticed I'm not a lover of gardening, I've hated it since I was a kid as I never got anything right now I've retired I have the time to potter around and try things out......
    Thanks Celia & wiseoldowl, I'm glad it is alright, as you might have noticed I'm not a lover of gardening, I've hated it since I was a kid as I never got anything right now I've retired I have the time to potter around and try things...
    Thanks Celia & wiseoldowl, I'm glad it is alright, as you might have noticed I'm not a lover of gardening, I've hated it since I was a kid as I never got anything right now I've retired I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. eddie

Vine Weevil Horror

I planted 2 Actaea and 2 Filipendula in a border, the Actaea ended up with mildew and Filip with Vine Weevils - I was not a happy bunny! Anyway, I used the provado and removed any leaves, mulch ...
    I planted 2 Actaea and 2 Filipendula in a border, the Actaea ended up with mildew and Filip with Vine Weevils - I was not a happy bunny! Anyway, I used the provado and removed any leaves, mulch etc. from around the base of the plant, seems to have done the trick. I like Geoff's idea of...
    I planted 2 Actaea and 2 Filipendula in a border, the Actaea ended up with mildew and Filip with Vine Weevils - I was not a happy bunny! Anyway, I used the provado and removed any leaves, mulch etc. from around the base of the plant, seems to...
    I planted 2 Actaea and 2 Filipendula in a border, the Actaea ended up with mildew and Filip with Vine Weevils - I was not a happy bunny! Anyway, I used the provado and removed any leaves, mulch ...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice